PDA

View Full Version : NPPL

Lister Noble
8th Feb 2007, 16:47
I was talking to a heli pilot today who had been grounded due to ill health following heart problems,but now has his HGV lorry licence back.
I mentioned the NPPL for fixed wing, and he wondered if there was such a thing as an NPPL for rotary aircraft.
Is there?
Lister:)

Whirlygig
8th Feb 2007, 16:53
No there isn't. He would have to get his Class 2 back (presuming he is a PPL) but most AMEs are supportive in these cases.

Cheers

Whirls

Pandalet
8th Feb 2007, 20:36
Can't you fly gyros on a NPPL? Or do you need a full PPL(H) for those too?

Hilico
8th Feb 2007, 20:45
Chaps, chaps, do we want lorry-drivers flying helicopters?

skiddriver
9th Feb 2007, 00:06
I would have sworn that Hilico was jesting.

GyroSteve
9th Feb 2007, 10:29
Pandalet

You need a PPL(G) for gyroplanes. It's a UK PPL (not JAA or NPPL) but it only requires an NPPL medical.

rudestuff
9th Feb 2007, 10:39
As a holder of both CPL(H) and HGV - i'd have to say I agree with Hilico!

Jarvy
9th Feb 2007, 10:46
I also hold both CPL(H) & HGV.I am also grounded with heart problem, so is there a link? Modern traffic maybe?
Hope to be back flying soon.
Jarvy

Vertical T/O
9th Feb 2007, 11:11
He could always try getting FAA Licence and Medical. The medical is a little easier than the JAA medical.

muffin
9th Feb 2007, 12:06
There was a comment in this month's AOPA magazine that the CAA were considering the introduction of an NPPL(H) which would also permit instruction on a PPL rather than a CPL.

Whirlygig
9th Feb 2007, 17:17
You still can instruct with a PPL (and CPL theory); just can't accept any money for it! Oh, and you have to do the 250 hours plus instructor course obviously!

Cheers

Whirls

muffin
9th Feb 2007, 19:54
There are lots of instructors around with just a PPL. Anybody who got an instructor rating prior to about 1999 could do it. I just missed it as I could not build 200 hours in the 6 months that were left before the rules changed.

Lister Noble
10th Feb 2007, 14:09
He got the HGV when he was in the Army,which is also where he learnt to fly helicopters.
He had a full commercial licence,and has flown some serious bits of kit.
He is expecting to pass Class 2 medical soon and then hopes to get back to Class1.
Thanks for all your replies which I have passed on.
The amazing thing is I never knew he flew until I was mentioning I was going for my medical and he asked which type.
Lister:)
PS,I passed my PPL(A) Class 2 medical OK on Friday

Hilico
11th Feb 2007, 09:24
Slingyerhook - you're right. Forget what I said about truck drivers. Apply it instead to 'people with no sense of humour'...

I've heard of pilots starting out who had to drive taxis to make ends meet before they could get regular work, which just goes to show that all kinds of people drive taxis and we shouldn't judge the few by the behaviour of the many (sic).

Whirlygig
11th Feb 2007, 09:32
Apply it instead to 'people with no sense of humour'...

Yes ... otherwise Pandalet and I might have taken exception to the "Chaps, chaps ..." element!

Cheers

Whirls