PDA

View Full Version : Interim qualification to lower insurance premiums?

estepo
8th Feb 2007, 15:33
With a seemingly ever increasing number of accidents, I'm wondering whether there's a case to be made for a qualification somewhere between the PPL and CPL which insurers would recognize in order to lower premiums.

At present, I guess insurers simply take a pilot's experience into account, but I'm sure many owners/PPL's would relish the idea of taking part in advanced training programmes, were they to be oficially recognized as an advanced qualification.

notar
8th Feb 2007, 17:28
Why not just teach the PPL correctly and examine to the laid down standards.

md 600 driver
8th Feb 2007, 19:35
estepo
has that new insurance company given you a quote they rang me today we will have to compare prices ?
steve

paco
9th Feb 2007, 00:20
I am in contact with some underwriters about trying to find some way that involves more than just hours as a guide for insurance assessment. At present it involves a 2-3 day CRM/assessment thingy.

I will know more after HAI.

phil

outofwhack
9th Feb 2007, 09:30
With 24 years experience of flying fixed-wing and a CPL(A) qualification but only 100hours rotary and a CPL(H) qualification (and never harmed a machine or person)....

...surely I am a far better risk for insurance purposes than a 100hour rotary only pilot.

Does anyone agree/disagree? I get the feeling from other in the rotary world that fixed wings hours are completely worthless. But why? We fly in the same weather at least!

More importantly - do any insurers capable of providing coverage in Australia agree?

Opinions gladly recieved - I am about to ask for quotes for insurance on my first machine - a B47G5A.

OOW

rudestuff
9th Feb 2007, 10:46
I'm sure that there are some who would argue that you have 24 years worth of BEEP = STICK FORWARD ingrained in you that actually make you more of a risk..., but with 100hrs I'd say you were just as dangerous (or safe) as each other - except that you seem more confident (which could also be considered to be more dangerous). In reality it all depends on the individual.