PDA

View Full Version : IAA, CAA & airline regulation

shoey1976
8th Feb 2007, 11:47
Hi all
Ian from BBC News here again: as part of the thread on "Ryanair in the News" I've received several comments about the activites and performance of various regulators around the world in general, and the IAA in particular. Keen to hear from anyone in the know...
Cheers
Ian
[email protected]
44 (0)7769 977665

alibaba
8th Feb 2007, 12:30
Ian, maybe questions need to be asked why various operators around Europe are on the Irish register?

"Alitalia Express" is one EI- registered company. Also some of the "Air One" a/c from Italy, are Irish registered not sure if they are on Irish AOC though. There has been a few Swedish operated a/c on the Irish reg as well as Spanish a/c such as "Futura".

The regulator does seem to have a cosy relationship to certain airlines. Its not just Ireland and the IAA either I suspect the same relationship is also carrying on with certain airlines and the CAA.

Why have regulators not acted when pilots present evidence of abuses by companies on certain aspects in aviation and their own companies?

judge11
8th Feb 2007, 13:30
Ireland viz the IAA has become 'a flag of convenience' for operators around the world. 'Convenient' because, conveniently, not too many questions are asked.:ok:

Dan Winterland
8th Feb 2007, 13:45
The Irish flag on convenience spreads further than Europe. I noticed recently on a flight to Beijing that Air Mongolia aircraft have EI registrations!

mary_hinge
8th Feb 2007, 13:48
I thought the Irish registration on "off shore" fleets is more to do with lease conditions and tax implications, along with a simplified legal wrangling in case of un-scheduled lease return. Common practice and Ireland is not alone, Aeroflot for example have all the A320 fleet on the Bermudan (VP-B**)

The Alitalia Express aircraft on the Irish Reg are all owned by GECAS, Ireland. The majority of the leased aircraft into Alitalia are also Irish registered. Could be wrong but the flag of convenience is for legal and tax reasons only and does not effect the maintenance and operation of the airline. An Irish AOC though is a different matter.

hobie
8th Feb 2007, 17:49
The Alitalia Express aircraft on the Irish Reg are all owned by GECAS, Ireland

and a good few more, it would appear .....

GE Commercial Aviation Services (GECAS) has its largest facility in Shannon, which also serves as the lead for European marketing. Technical operations based there, oversee the movement of the GECAS fleet of 1,300 aircraft. All of GECAS's non U.S. based lease business is managed from Shannon.

llondel
8th Feb 2007, 17:56
That's a scary number of aircraft. Imagine the asset value of that lot.

st patrick
8th Feb 2007, 19:14
Ever since the days of Guinness Peat Aviation (GPA) Ireland has been associated with aircraft leasing. The current and previous governments low corporation tax has attracted a number of multinational companies, not just leasing companies. There are numerous leasing firms located in Dublin`s IFSC where there are other tax breaks.
The IAA have, in the past, "strenuously denied that Ireland is a flag of convenience". !?
Tom Boy - Come eear timme - no one is having a go at De Capitals luvely new terminal - sure its the envy of every southside Dub - it has a Storbucks! Roysh?!

CaptainSandL
8th Feb 2007, 19:42
Add the following Russian (or former Soviet Union) airlines to the EI- list:

KD Avia
Transaero
AirUnion (Kras Air)

saffron
19th Feb 2007, 08:09
I understand that Mike O'Brian,senior flight ops inspector for the IAA for many years & a total professional,left the IAA in disgust at the way IAA managers looked the other way as Ryanair abused FTL's & other regulations.He went on to become chief flight ops inspector for the Maltese CAA.