PDA

View Full Version : Wireless printing to a networked HP LaserJet5

Dee747
8th Feb 2007, 09:33
Simple query for a simple setup .....
I've got wireless BB via a 3Com router, connected into which are my main base PC and an HP LaserJet 5 with a JetDirect 400N card installed and working successfully.
The query is - can I get my daughter's PC and my wife's laptop, both of which use the router's wireless facilities to access the internet, to print to the LJ5? Can they send a print job wirelessly to the router, which would then send it down the CAT5 cable into the LJ5? If it's possible, how do I go about setting it up on each computer?
Having the printer working already via the router, I'm not wanting to look at wireless print servers - I'm hoping the existing solution can be extended to the wireless computers, that's all.
All help gratefully received.
Dee747

Saab Dastard
8th Feb 2007, 14:04
Yes!

The JetDirect card IS actually a print server.

The printer will either have a DHCP supplied IP address from the 3Com, or a fixed IP address. You should know which, as you set it up!

The easiest thing to do is to print direct to the IP address.

First, find out the printer's IP address - do this by printing the configuration page(s) of the printer.

Next, Add a Printer to each wifi PC - Use the Wizard and select Local Printer (ensure that automatically detect is OFF), then Create a New Port, type is Standard TCP/IP. Now enter the IP address of the printer (ensure that the printer is ON) - you can accept the default port name. Now add the Printer driver - the HP LJ 5 is installed with XP by default, so you won't need any setup files.

That's it.

SD

gizmocat
8th Feb 2007, 20:39
It would also be advantageous to set a static IP on the jetdirect, this will save a lot of hassle if the LJ5 looses it's DHCP IP.

Bests
Giz