PDA

View Full Version : Mango and it's CEO

LittleMo
8th Feb 2007, 08:18
Just heard from a little bird sitting in the mango tree:

Apparently the crew of a Mango flight, on which Mr Bez was a passenger, received a memo from the CEO's office ordering them to appear infront of the chief pilot because of what he deemed a 'hard landing' at FAJS the other day. Mr Bez thought the landing was 'unescessary harsh treatment of company equipment'

Seems Mr Bez didn't even have the common courtesy of introducing himself to the crew on boarding and is now calling the profesionalism of the pilots into question.

Looks like Mr Bez should be hauled infront of an inquiry for 'unescessary harsh treatment' himself...

There you go Putt for Dough...just the thing for you after a hard day on the greens :ok:

fluffyfan
8th Feb 2007, 09:14
Management once again showing there vast knowledge on all subjects aviation, just for the record the 800 is not the easiest aircraft to land and hard landings are common no matter who you are, even the autoland and the guidance of the $1 mil USD HUD plant the aircraft quite regularly.

This story sounds quite familiar, it happens all the time at SAA when Ministers, company executives etc happen to experience a "hard landing" they also send out memo's for the pilot to explain. The standard response is to refer these aviation experts to the Boeing manual, and kindly explain that the landing was carried out in accordance with the above stated manual....its a nice way of saying go and :mad: yourself.

putt for dough
8th Feb 2007, 17:55
Haha. You're kidding right :D I like that.
Somehow I doubt the story. But then again you never know.

Frogman1484
8th Feb 2007, 22:27
I wonder how many times Mr Bez has landed him self, seeing that he is such an expert in the field of smooth landing?

Has anyone pointed out that in the last 30 seconds of a landing we make more decisions than he makes in month!:ok:

bianchi
9th Feb 2007, 05:24
Landing a aeroplane is like parking your car, 9 out 10 times it work out OK , BUT you do occasionally hit the "curb"! It's just like that !Wheather you are a test pilot or a fairly new"one"testing and perfecting"this"business you GONNA hit the curb !!!!!!!( even I hit the curb at times..........thought I was perfect...... NOPE the proof is in the.........SMOOOOOTH landings!)

Frogman1484
9th Feb 2007, 11:07
Hi Bianchi,

You must be on the boeing fleet as to land an airbus it is al done with mirror and strings...If I get a greaser it was a mistake!!!:\

Romeo E.T.
9th Feb 2007, 19:56
The "bean-counters" should stick to their "beans" and let the "highly trained and qualified" pilots do what is prescribed....if it was as bad as Mr Bez thinks it was then the Flight recorder would "log" a landing "G-Force-Exceedance" and then the pilots would have a please explain anyway...if no recorded exceedance then Mr Bez should rather stick to his bussiness and ensure the "profitability" if any of his airline....stay out of the cockpit is what I say.....or does he want the pilots to tell him/order him on how to run the financial side of things???

SKYTORT
10th Feb 2007, 06:48
Mr Bez probably had his cellphone on - that's why! :}

Goldfish Jack
11th Feb 2007, 07:05
It is true!

Spoke to a mango captain that had just spoken to the capt of the relevant flight.

Was a landing on 3L with 160 odd pax and they were landing to turn off at Hotel.

After checking it was a 1.8g landing - just a touch over the "norm" for a B737-800 and a touch on the heavy braking to get off at Hotel to help out ATC.

Crews are rightfully hightly :mad: off with their boss - it seems he is turning into one of those managers that hates pilots!!!!

flyhardmo
12th Feb 2007, 07:11
Well a smooth landing isn't always a good landing. Lots of overuns these days from people landing smooth and long. Sounds like the flight crew did the right thing, the safe and efficient operation of an aircraft. Something management should try and do with the company.

JetPark
12th Feb 2007, 09:30
I nearly fell off my chair with the comment made by this CEO. I sincerely hope that the Crew involved willl put this idiot in his place? What a :mad: :=

Deskjocky
12th Feb 2007, 10:54
By way of clarity, there was no memo, Mr B had a chat with the chief pilot about the incident- in all honesty the CP should had told him he was being a prat and moved on, unfortunately he took the message to heart and said crew were hauled in.

What’s done is done- Mr B made an error in judgement- although I have invited him to join me for a few circuits in the Comanche for my twin conversion- after that I’m sure he will have a whole new perspective on what’s a good landing!:E :}

JetPark
12th Feb 2007, 11:29
Well done Dj - as always. Methinks that after you have fixed this CEO's thought process (although I wish it were in something else other than a Commanche, more so for your sake than his) you could do the same for some of the Politicians too?:E Good on you for recognizing the error - we could use a few more like ya!

yzerfontein
4th Mar 2007, 16:19
There's not the same level of humour on Mango flights (http://www.southafrica.to/transport/Airlines/mango-flights/mango-flights.php5)as on Kulula...seems there's just downright unreasonability at management level.

asianeagle
7th Mar 2007, 04:32
A pilots performance, abilty and competance are always judged by the the 30 seconds of flight ie the landing, regardless of what he has been through during the flight. If an analogy was drawn with Mr Bez's performance and the financial results were his "landing" so to speak, I wander just how smooth the landing will be???:eek:

Will he then be dragged into the CP office for tea and biccies:{

Deskjocky
7th Mar 2007, 06:43
If an analogy was drawn with Mr Bez's performance and the financial results were his "landing" so to speak, I wander just how smooth the landing will be???

He would be most happy to be judged on Mango's financial results, they are way ahead of their pre-launch projections in terms of financial performance. They have already overtaken 1Time in terms of market share on the routes they both operate on.

asianeagle
11th Mar 2007, 12:55
Good for them, seems the R100 mil and aircraft and crew have got them of to a 'flying start'. :E
By the way paxed CPT to JNB on SAA the other day, intersection take off with a nice little tailwind := and then a nice loooooong flaaaare on 03R, a pretty firmish touch down :eek: max breaking to vacate at the end :ugh: .
Same crew maybe????:}

unmanned
12th Mar 2007, 06:22
It can't be the same crew. SAA and Mango are 2 seperate entities !!!!!!!

unstable load
12th Mar 2007, 14:03
Maybe the same SIM, SOP and check ride standards, then??

fluffyfan
15th Mar 2007, 20:15
DJ read in the business section of the star yesterday that Mango is looking overseas for some new 800's. If its true......I told you so.

I dont think SAA can afford to give anything away at the moment with our loads, its good news though, nothing against Mango just hate to see SAA shrinking.