PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is ADSB ?

Whiskey Oscar Golf
8th Feb 2007, 01:48
I have been noticing the argument on a few threads as to the benefits and possible problems with ADSB as a seperation tool. I have one on the aircraft I am operating but we haven't hooked it up to our display yet. I will be using it for seperation of a different nature and I have a broad understanding of the principles. So can anyone point me to a nice simple site that explains the tech and point out the benefits, costs and possible problems with it.

Thanks

SM4 Pirate
8th Feb 2007, 03:17
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/pilotcentre/projects/adsb/default.asp

Much info here...

Whiskey Oscar Golf
8th Feb 2007, 04:01
Thanks Mr. SM4 Pirate, I had googled it before and came up with some very strange paranoid scenario makers. The Airservices trial seems to be going along swimmingly by the looks of things and the next one, to phase out or compliment radars seems interesting.

What I am unsure of is unit cost and infrastructure cost. Couldn't find it at Garmin or Honeywell. Everyone talks about it being cheap, but how cheap? I think the security issues could be ironed out with a range of encryption/operational standards and it is in development stage so no drama with these things.

Cheers

jumpuFOKKERjump
8th Feb 2007, 23:35
Don't have precise figgers, but my memory of the presentation as it was, erm, presented was the cost of the ground station was similar to a satellite remote VHF outlet, about 100,000, less than a tenth the cost of a radar.

The big advantage was maintenance, it would cost buggar all to maintain it compared to radar; solid state, no moving parts, relatively low power, techs had to go look at the VHF anyhow...

The cost benefit of the Tassie MLAT is a bit trickier. How do you add up using 18 ground stations to provide the same surveillance as 2 x SSR TAR, 2 x SSR surface movement radar, 1+ x SSR RSR and 18 ADS/B sites, all with the above advantages!

SM4 Pirate
9th Feb 2007, 00:24
MLAT; advantages; not Satellite/GPS dependant; doesn't require any more airborne gear than is already available (assuming Mode C transponders are very wide spread). The is only one "turner" in Tassie at present; with minimal low level coverage except in the basin; which is not exaclty providing a surface display (not that it's needed there, but will prove the system for bigger roll out)...

Time will tell about cost and then advantages/disadvantages etc. But with all those Tassie peaks and valleys it should give excellent data for further roll out. The issue is lack of 'primary' returns for TAR replacement longer term.

Then there is the mode S issue; seems to be a world standard; which we are getting by 2010; but probably not able to use it cause the data received will not be displayed (due to software limitations; ie getting TAAATS software changed).

I belive the one MLAT box costs about 1/3rd as an ADS-B box; so 18MLATs is still about 1/3 total cost of one "turner" for better and more accurate coverage.

I hope like heck they make it work well enough.

Environmental advatages are huge... Just ask all them dead field mice...