PDA

View Full Version : New career - becoming part of the aviation industry

Nil Flaps
8th Feb 2007, 01:45
Hello,

I am hoping to move to Perth in the near future (once the house is sold), and I'm interested in taking up a career in aviation.

I am currently undertaking flying training (SPL, hold medical Class 2 and current ASIC) and have been well and truly bitten by the flying bug. I don't necessarily want to become a commercial pilot but I would relish being a part of the aviation scene in one form or another.

Can anyone tell me what might be a good way of getting my foot in the door within the aviation industry and what kind of opportunities are available for someone with no aviation employment experience though is very willing to learn?

I have been trawling the recruitment websites (Seek/MyCareer) and also the Jandakot & Qantas sites (i.e. Perth Airport) to see what sort of work I could consider getting into but I am hoping people here might be able to supply me with more ideas, rather than relying on the small portion of aviation opportunities currently available which are being advertised by recruitment agencies at present.

I don't expect anyone to provide a huge list and precise details of all the work that I could consider within the field of aviation but maybe some Ppruners out there have an aviation job that they could quickly summarise and tell me what their work entails?

Thanks in advance.

NF.

F900EX
8th Feb 2007, 02:11
What exactly do you have in mind. Do you want to fly or would you be happy just working in aviation. What is your age ?

Nil Flaps
8th Feb 2007, 04:49
Hi F900EX,

I'm 34. If I was completely honest I'd love to fly (not Cabin Crew) but I'm thinking that lack of funds might make this difficult.

Thing is, I don't know exactly what I have in mind, as I don't know what sort of work is out there. I would consider anything airside, (I don't mind getting my hands dirty) but I also wouldn't sniff at any kind of terminal/organisational/office work, so long as it's aviation, it gets me involved and allows me to progress.

F900EX
9th Feb 2007, 20:50
I gather you are moving from the U.K to Perth ?? In any case, first things first. Most jobs in aviation do not pay a lot and to be involved in aviation you do not neccesarily need to work in the industry. How about starting out with work that makes you money in the field that you already have experience in and then taking flight lessons at the nearby airfield. The advantage of this is that you get a feel for the business and make some contacts at the same time. Most jobs at airfields etc. are obtained through being in the right place at the right time. Other than that I would say apply to lareg companies based at big airports.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Nil Flaps
10th Feb 2007, 02:58
Hi again,

Nope, I'm an Aussie Citizen here in WA. I am currently learning to fly in my local town but will be moving down to Perth hopefully in the near future.

Cheers for your advice - will keep the feelers out there.

2p!ssed2drive
10th Feb 2007, 06:52
Talk of the town is that there's going to be alot of pilot jobs going over the next 10 years. If you want to fly, I dare say there'd be a good opertunity to fly for a living in a job you'd be happy with. :ok:

bushy
10th Feb 2007, 10:34
If you have 500 hours of 737 time there may be jobs available.

OpsNormal
10th Feb 2007, 21:56
Gee wiz Bushy, that was a positive post..... := := :=

Nil Flaps. By doing some research on the industry you'll realise that there are many and varied roles that all have to pull together to achieve the common goal of getting airliners in the air and to and from their destination/s.

People like check-in staff, ramp staff, operations staff (including day to day operations controllers, flightplanning, ground trainers, maint planners/controllers, clerical, purchasing etc etc), refuellers, safety officers, engineering staff .... are all cogs in the machinery that keeps aircraft flying. The list goes on and on from there.

Websites like this one (http://www.bfound.net/login.aspx?applyTo=none&CoId=267&rq=2) are common through the industry, as well as many positions being advertised in Friday's "Australian" newspaper. There are a number of other websites (suggest a google or similar search along the line of "aviation jobs").

OpsN.;)

hoopdreams
11th Feb 2007, 01:15
Your best bet is to just approach places that you would be interested in working at, and tell them you're keen and it nothing is available, follow up every now and again to let them know you're still interested. I did this with a regional airline, and they got back to me, offering me a part-time night shift position cleaning VB aircraft and loading freight onto Metros. At the moment, I'm really enjoying the job and the environment I'm working in. Great to get close and personal with the aeroplanes and meet people in the industry. I'm currently looking for a full-time job, and will keep this as a second job as I progress through my flight training.

Cheers

Buster Hyman
11th Feb 2007, 04:34
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!:eek:

max autobrakes
11th Feb 2007, 04:41
Become a miner, you will earn heaps more and get to travel on an airplane every few weeks as they fly you in and out from the mines!

Nil Flaps
11th Feb 2007, 08:56
I must admit, doing what I am qualified for will earn me more money to allow me to fly in my spare time, but I'm torn between doing something I don't really like for a living which allows me to do something I love in my spare time... or earning less in a work environment I'd much prefer but might make flying in my spare time a little more difficult.

And mining work? I'd love to be able to earn that kind of money and have that flexibility of fly-in, fly-out, but certain commitments will be keeping me in Perth itself. I have no option in that regard.

And before anyone says it, I know to show dedication to a new profession you must be able to prove it by moving to where the work is, but my commitments are somewhat greater and more important than any work on offer.

Great advice so far, please keep it coming!

mattyj
11th Feb 2007, 20:20
Get in touch with AirBP at Perth. They pay around $25 per hour. You need a Heavy truck and DG drivers licence. You get to play with airplanes all day and get payed more than some of the pilots. Don't become a cargo loader or catering loader, pays crap and you will do your back in.

aircabbie
13th Feb 2007, 23:55
Mate heaps of jobs and yes i hear that there will be pilot shortages , Ok maybe 500hrs on 737 , though there will be alot of movement around shortly. Thats if you decide to move down that track , I belive , reading your posts that maybe , Instructing Would be a great job from the information that you have described . But it is expensive i must admit. There are loads of baggage handling jobs around perth , also things such as Aviation Engineering , aviation welding these guys are in huge demand , and i belive there is a guy at Jandakot thats the Trade side which means 4yrs or so getting a trade but Huge bucks when you have . Oh and of course your not only around acft yur usally got your head stuck in one ! AirBp which has been mentioned before was a good one there is also Shell i belive. ATC is another option ( though i think you need to be in Melbourne for a while on course ) there advertising all the time. Look up the airservices website and there is a place on there for jobs ect things from ATC to Fire fighters ect .
Customs do alot of immigration work at the airports .
Mate these are just a few For you to think about . Hey a Aviation trade may well be a good way to fund you into Instructing !!

tinpis
14th Feb 2007, 00:28
One thing is just about certain Mr Nilflaps
You will spend the rest of your life looking for "that" job. :uhoh:

six_degrees
14th Feb 2007, 06:54
If it's something you want to do, do it.

Be aware though that it will be f---ing hard going for the first while after getting a CPL, you may have to look around for a while keeping current out of your own pocket, and even when you do get a job, it most likely will pay next to nothing or you will be flying in compromising conditions or aircraft. I'm not trying to put you off, but be aware that these are the conditions that 90% of fresh CPLs get into that most do not know about when signing up.

On the other hand you get to fly all the time, for free at least, and have a blast doing it. I've been an instructor for a little while now and while I can say that although it hasn't been easy - I get paid close to nothing and have a six figure student loan hanging over my head every day - I still get a kick out of it.

OpsNormal
15th Feb 2007, 21:18
It is trully amazing how many of you haven't actually stopped to read the original question.

OpsN.;)