PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

AdamC
8th Feb 2007, 00:47
Hey Guys!

First of all, I should really say Hi! - Im Adam, and guess what - Im new here :P

Okay, so my question is is it possible to do work experience in an airport (My preference would be ATC, but im open to anything :P) - My nearest airport being EGNJ (Humberside).

I don't want too look like a complete idiot asking them, and then getting laughed at! :)

Cheers,
Adam.

Lite
8th Feb 2007, 14:27
Email Humberside Airport to see what their work experience policy is. I doubt you'll be able to do something as specific as job shadowing ATC, but more than likely HUY will have a designated programme for work experience students, usually (if it's like EMA) working predominantly on the information desk as your base, but then being taken out to various departments to see what they do. Also try contacting Servisair at HUY. We take on work experience students all the time.

Punditgreen
9th Feb 2007, 15:19
Adam
Humberside does occasionally take people for their work experience fortnight. Contact:
Human Resources
Humberside Airport
Kirmington
N.Lincs
DN39 6YH

01652 682009
as soon as possible as the quota is almost gone.
State your interest in ATC.
And no-one will laugh at you!
PG

AdamC
9th Feb 2007, 18:21
Thanks everyone, i'll proberbly send HR a letter - A little better than ringing I guess :P

Hopefully I will be able to do my work experience there, would make sence as I want to work in the aviation industry in the future! :)

finding_nema
11th Feb 2007, 13:27
Two years ago, I did my work experience at EMA, and was really impressed with how it was handled. I spent a week at the information desk, with occasional visits to the air ambulance, airfield ops, the control tower and job shadowing various people and then a further week with Servisair. This experience has been invaluable to meet people from within the industry, and has culminated (fair enough to some industry observers it may not be that impressive) in a job this summer as a PSA for Servisair.

Don't get your hopes up about getting a week in the tower, but I'd say write a passionate letter with your interest and enthusiasm to Humberside, including why this work experience would be so useful, and I'm sure they'd be able to squeeze you in somewhere.