PDA

View Full Version : Flight West Airlines

Torres
7th Feb 2007, 21:18
June 1 2007 is the twentieth Anniversary of the commencement of Flight West Airlines operations.

Thursday, April 23 1987: Western Queensland air services Tender advertised in the Courier Mail. Bids close Tuesday April 28 1987.

Friday, April 24 1987: Torres and Junior discuss the proposal over a beer in Brisbane. Torres prepares a tender “over the weekend”.

Wednesday, May 13 1987: Commissioner of Transport confidentially advises a $1.25 million per annum subsidy contract will be awarded to "a company to be formed" by interests from Talair in PNG. First employee, the Chief Pilot employed same day!

Friday May 15, 1987: Contract ratified by Queensland Executive Council. Company formed and AOC obtained in 19 days. AOC issued evening of Sunday May 31, 1987.

Monday, June 1 1987: First Flight West King Air service departs Brisbane for Blackall and Longreach.

And thus began an airline with some of the finest aviation people I ever worked with!!! :ok:

If there is enough interest, I suggest a reunion in Brisbane Friday June 1 or Saturday June 2, 2007.

Any early Flight West ex staff and others involved in the Company's early operations (including the CAA Examiner we "retrained" :E ) interested in a reunion, leave a post here and I’ll contact you.

Bob

Torres
7th Feb 2007, 22:43
The Chief Pilot just phoned through an acceptance - not that he's any stranger to a cold ale or five on a hot day!! :ok: :ok: :} :}

Any More starters??

Torres
8th Feb 2007, 01:54
Well, well, well!!! Amazing who has come out of the woodwork and contacted me. :E

The Check & Training Manager has confirmed his attendance and the CAA Examiner has expressed an interest in conducting surveillance, subject to Mum's approval! :}

Does anyone have contact with the Chief Engineer? He's no longer in the Brisbane telephone book and was last rumoured to be retired and sailing in north Queensland?

Looks like June 2 will be a goer and based on current interest, I can confidently confirm an order for at least the first keg!!! :D :D

I'm thinking of the Virginia Palms International Motel (http://www.palmsinternational.com.au/Site/100714.asp), close to Brisbane Airport - unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Torres
20th Feb 2007, 10:26
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/fwest1.jpg

Palms International Motel (http://www.palmsinternational.com.au/Site/100714.asp)
Cnr Sandgate & Zillmere Roads
BOONDALL QLD 4034

Ph +61 7 3265 7066
Fax +61 7 3865 1735

Email: [email protected]

Saturday June 2 2007.
1400 until the last man is standing! :E

More details, motel rates and costs next week! :ok:

Contract Con
21st Feb 2007, 07:08
Good onya Torres!
See you there!
Should be bigger than Ben Hur!
Cheers,
Con:ok:

Torres
7th Mar 2007, 20:20
Gone quiet. Must be more takers out there?

kingtoad
12th Mar 2007, 06:58
Hey Torres

Have you heard from the Chief Engineer? Last I heard, Gordon had his catamaran was tied up down the Goldcoast somewhere.

PM me if you want to get in touch with him. I can put you in touch with someone who can put you in touch ....

KingToad

Torres
12th Mar 2007, 09:56
Lost track of GDF. Will send you a PM for his mobile number. :ok:

The Flight West p!ss up is definitely "on" - having problems contacting the original crew. :ugh:

They never missed a p!ss up 20 years ago - dunno why they are so quiet now!!! :confused:

Torres
20th Mar 2007, 10:27
Thanks Toad. :ok:

Called the Chief Engineer this evening and hope I've convinced him to fit the reunion in before he sails off into the sunset again!

Looks like the "F" Team will be attending - just need the rest of the original Flight West crew??? :confused:

Don't want to get too rash now, but I'll shout the first carton, just like the old days on the office floor in the original Valley office!! :}