PDA

View Full Version : Leather or Fabric

apaddyinuk
7th Feb 2007, 18:18
Hello all.
Sounds like a daft question but doing some "product research" for a college assignment and I am hoping some FFP's could help me out. Being crew I already have my own opinions but Id rather have the insight of the customers.

Basic enough question. In a medium to longhaul Premium economy cabin would you prefer Leather seats or Fabric (Drawing comparisons??? ME??? NEVER!!! lol!). If I could ask you to give reasons for your decisions and perhaps include other little ideas you may like to see but nothing too fancy and no smart comments like "all seats should be first class" etc! lol.

(Edited for clarity) Also, what is more important to you....Good oboard service OR a comfortable seat???? What I mean by this is would you prefer to have a nicer seat at the expense of the service frills such as dedicated crew, free champers, booze, food, newspapers etc!!!!

Thanks all, I appreciate your responses. Other airline people are also welcome to leave your comments. I imagine we probably have similiar ideas on this one.

P.S...I promise this is not for my airlines research...just a college thing! hehe!

PAXboy
7th Feb 2007, 18:37
I don't think it makes a great deal of never mind. What is more important is - has the seat got sufficient stuffing to be comfortable? The width and pitch will do far more to affect comfort and leather is just a marketing gimmick, in my view.

As to what would I want to see then the answer is simple: Appropriate value for money. If I pay the base fee, then I want to get a decent seat and service. If I pay 50% more then it should be (nominally) 50% better. Too often hotels and airlines promote a premium product and do not present the goods.

Final 3 Greens
7th Feb 2007, 20:56
Fabric, because it breathes better on a long haul flight.

Although you didn't ask about short haul, I prefer leather on that, as it tends to respond better to the limited amount of TLC (aka cleaning) that can be applied in a quick turn.

TSR2
7th Feb 2007, 21:37
Quote:
'What is more important to you Good Customer Service OR a Comfortable Seat'

The word OR would indicate that you believe you cannot have both.

Good Customer Service should be prerequisite in every decent company, particularly in the service industry.

As far as seat comfort is concerned, the biggest single factor in my opinion is seat width. Taking the Boeing 767 as an example, and comparing the comfort level of an economy 2-4-2 with a 2-3-2 configuration, you would not believe it was the same aircraft type.

Flapping_Madly
7th Feb 2007, 21:49
Seats are the most important part of the flight. Apart from a full set of engines and wings obviously.

Flybe's Bae 146 leather--very comfy and usually look clean.

Monarch have the hardest oddest shaped and vomit stained seats I know of. So bad in fact I will not use them again till I hear they have been refitted throughout.

Just my one penn'orth.

apaddyinuk
8th Feb 2007, 00:59
TSR2...Of course you are correct. I actually worded that question wrong! please find the question edited for clarity!

Keep them coming folks!

Thanks for all your input!

AdamC
8th Feb 2007, 01:02
I actually prefer leather seats on both long and short haul flights.

I don't have any reasoning behind it, just that I find it the most comfortable!

A very turbulant XL 767-300 flight from Sanford Orlando - Gatwick on Friday Decided that one for me! :)

Monkeytoo
8th Feb 2007, 05:20
I would prefer leather............they can be cleaned more effectively - though whether they would is another matter. Regarding the service - I would quite happily take my own sarnies and a thermos of coffe to feed myself - even on long haul if they would give us bigger seats, with more separation from my neighbour and a larger seat pitch!!

Globaliser
8th Feb 2007, 09:26
Basic enough question. In a medium to longhaul Premium economy cabin would you prefer Leather seats or FabricFabric, please.

You slide about much more on leather. That makes it very difficult to sleep, because you need more things with which to prop yourself into a stable position. And I'm in a premium economy seat on longhaul primarily because I want a better sleeping environment.Also, what is more important to you....Good oboard service OR a comfortable seat????Again, assuming you're talking about longhaul, I would take the comfortable seat over the onboard service if I absolutely had to choose between them.

But IME the two often go hand in hand. And decision making is never so clear cut - there's swings and roundabouts all over.

strake
9th Feb 2007, 10:30
I think I'd prefer leather, based on my theory that the tens and thousand of farts the seat will suffer might bounce back into atmosphere immediately, rather than bury themselves into the fabric and then release slowly in some sort of nuclear half-life fashion.

Well, you did ask.....:ooh:

Gouabafla
10th Feb 2007, 17:06
I'm with Globaliser. At least fifty percent of my long haul flights are overnight and I want to sleep. Fabric seats are not as slippy, so it's easier to get some kip.

I can bring my own entertainment, booze, reading matter and such on the flight but I'm stuck with the seat that the airline provide. On balance, I'd rather they put as much effort as possible into making that comfy. If I really wanted champagne, I'd buy it.

That being said, I do like a good selection of videos to watch. Air France have taken to oly changing about a third of their films each month and I've now seen all of the ones they are currently showing. Going to be a long flight tomorrow!

apaddyinuk
10th Feb 2007, 19:57
Everyone, thanks a million. Keep them coming. Some very good comments already made!

Crepello
12th Feb 2007, 15:45
I'll vote for fabric too - have spent sleepless nights on leather, trying to avoid sliding off (maybe there's a market for velcro pyjamas...) Would suggest leather for the headrest.