PDA

View Full Version : Plane crash in Cebu?!?

Alpha 6
7th Feb 2007, 17:33
I heard that a plane crashed near Cebu this afternoon...any information regarding this? Are all passengers safe? What is the a/c? I hope no ones hurt...

DeltaSix
7th Feb 2007, 21:08
Yep, it was a BN Islander on approach to Mactan Int'l.
Ditched the aircraft in the ocean on shallow waters.
The 2 pilots and passengers are safe.

The cause apparently is an engine failure - don't know if both engines failed but highly unlikely.
Do they usually require 2 pilots for the Islander ? I've flown something bigger than an Islander and it's usually single-pilot IFR.

D6

Dan Winterland
8th Feb 2007, 02:43
Reported in Hong Kong's South China Morning Post this morning with a picture. All safe.

stephenlink
8th Feb 2007, 02:59
Air Surigao BN Islander..from Davao to Cebu(for refueling)..suffered engine vibration that led to engine failure...ditched near RPVM..All crew and pax safe...

Alpha 6
8th Feb 2007, 07:49
Thanks guys for the info...Good to know everyone's safe. D6, I know this one company in manila that requires 2 to fly their islanders.

A6

teeepee
26th Feb 2007, 03:12
the bn2a21-islander has been on ground for 12yrs.it was taken by local politician in surigao for the forthcoming election.the pilot took it for series of test flts.around 12 hrs.without a certified bn-islander mech.,not even draining the tanks fuel lines nor checking the fuel injectors.he experienced series of (left eng) engine quitting on the ground during taxi,but just go ahead and continued flying.
on the day of the crash one helper started loading tons of campaign materials at the tail section or cargo compartment not realizing that there is such thing as "weight and balance" that we keep an eye on its every flt. no matter what the size of the a/c.
On final app. MCT the rt.engine failed, no amount of power on the left kept the plane up or at least flying thus all of themended up wading on a knee deep water and walk to the terminal/////a simple distribution of weight is what got them,lucky it was MCT,just imagine IF these guys were flying or landing in BAGUIO,WOW bubuhatin sila lahat papunta sa terminal....:= :O

DeltaSix
26th Feb 2007, 04:23
In Sydney, we have lost 8 light aircraft within the span of 2 weeks.
1 x Warrior, 1 x Tobago, 1 x Cessna 152, 1 x Tecnam, 1 x SR22 Cirrus, 1 x Duchess, 1 x Twin comanche, and 1 x Kitplane.

The Cirrus has a ballistic recovery system on board but failed to open (parachute). 2 POB, 1 fatal and 1 serious. I think they were too low for the parachute to open.

Before that, we had 2 aircraft collide in G airspace approaching a non-controlled aerodrome.

It's a very bad month for general aviation here.

D6

Alpha 6
26th Feb 2007, 05:36
I wonder why did the senatorial candidate from surigao rent a plane when in fact he owns a baron and a C-421 (unless he sold them or under going maintenance). Well some gen-av cargo company that I know do the gen-av style of weight & balance...if it still fits, sak sak lang:}

That's sad to know deltasix...lets just pray for their peace

Fly safe everyone

thrust clb
26th Feb 2007, 08:13
From the pics on the papers it appears that both engines props aren't feathered. :bored: The weight-and-balance scenario is just a minor contributor to the incident.

Alpha 6
26th Feb 2007, 12:28
I hope it's not deliberate for insurance or publicity purposes:rolleyes:

DeltaSix
26th Feb 2007, 21:10
If the props weren't feathered, the RPM must have dropped well below 1000RPM. Below this, the governor will not feather the props.

Engine failure drills in twins must be completed quickly and props feathered before the engine loses RPM. Looks like that didn't happen.

Cheers
D6

teeepee
27th Feb 2007, 01:04
just for clarification,loading of campaign materials was a big factor aside from the maintenance side of it, these guys were outside the max. aft, no matter what power you have it won't climb nor hold its altitude. I use to do a lot of production test flts on bn2a21's when i was younger and at a max aft at full gross the a/c will climb 150ft. / min with the left engine at full power(5min. continous), and 100ft. with the rt.engine. The performance is a lot better in England and Belgium as far as i can recall (1975)

Sen.Pitchay (to be) bought the a/c as the PIC and paz said,ATO has closed the case and will just give the guy a check ride:) ;) ;)

BTW the engine failure occured on short final as per the PIC, so feathering the props was a bit tight as the guys concern was to hold the a/c up:O

DeltaSix
27th Feb 2007, 01:55
Hi Teepee

If the aircraft is loaded max aft C of G then the pilot should not have had difficulty in holding the aircraft up. Besides there were two pilots on board.
Loading an aircraft Aft C of G would render the aircraft stable on the lateral axis. I'd be more concerned of the increased stall speed.

Also, by not feathering the props, it would've added more drag to the aircraft and would've decreased their best glide range although there is no guarantee that they would've made it to the runway anyway.

But that's "water under the bridge now "..... :zzz: ...

D6

teeepee
28th Feb 2007, 07:40
yes d6 a lot of water under the bridge,they were off the max aft i reckon from the ATO and crew statement.cargo was concentrated on station 8 up to cargo compartment.A formal investigation was about to be done, me being invited as one of the panel,but a light and voice came from no where and said "ENOUGH'', then everything became mute and academic he he he (just kidding..;) )