PDA

View Full Version : 2 separate inboxes with one email address

whiz
7th Feb 2007, 10:09
Hi All
I suspect this one is going to be a 'no' but is it possible to have email diverted to 2 separate inboxes where the inboxes are using the same email address ? I'll explain a little more fully. One office, 2 PCs networked and sharing an internet connection, both PCs running XP and using outlook express. Both PCs are using the same email address. Obviously I can send emails from the individual PCs so the sender knows who's sending it eg. PC1 sends as PC1@Smith&co and PC2 sends as PC2@Smith&co. Is there any way that I can have incoming mail directed to the inbox of the sender without having so set up another email addy?
Thanks in advance

Bigwings
7th Feb 2007, 11:27
This may help or at least be a partial solution, good luck.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011502011033.aspx

Bigwings :)

25F
9th Feb 2007, 22:14
If you can send as [email protected] and [email protected] then replies will go to those two separate addresses, no? Or is it that you have a catch-all on the domain (such that email to [email protected] ends up in the one inbox)?

HughMartin
10th Feb 2007, 12:49
The answer in my experience is yes but how you do it depends on your email configuration.

I may be misinterpreting your post but in your first sentence you say you are dealing with one email address but later you imply you are using 2 address.
If indeed you are wanting incoming mail to go to two computers, then the following will work with Outlook Express.

Both computers will have to be configured for the same email account. Then, from the top menu go to Tools/Accounts/Properties/Advanced and tick the "Leave a copy of messages on server" tickbox. You may wish to select the option to delete from server after a number od days. You will need to do this on both your computers. This will cause incoming messages to be uploaded to both machines.

Outlook has the same option under Tools/Email Accounts........More settings.
The above works for me with a desktop and a laptop using a POP3 email account.

There is another solution which requires you to set up one computer as the email server and the other computer accesses the server's inbox but I haven't tried that as my first solution does the job perfectly for me. It would have the advantage of being able to access your SENT box from either computer. It can be a bit iritating trying to find a sent email and then remember it was sent from the other computer.

whiz
12th Feb 2007, 08:36
OK, let me respond to 25F's reply

I have 2 PCs sharing an internet connection, they are using the same email address, the only difference being is that in the tools - accounts-properties-general tab on PC1 under user information it says Name: PC1@Smith&co. The email address is Smith&[email protected]

Going into the accounts-properties-general tab of PC2 gives user information of Name: PC2@Smith&co. The email address is Smith&[email protected].
Anyone replying sends an email into the inbox on each PC. What I would like to find out is if its possible to get replies to go into the inbox of the sending PC only.

Hugh, the set up you mention is what I have, causing replies to go into both inboxes