PDA

View Full Version : BAE 146 for Airlink

unmanned
7th Feb 2007, 09:15
Has anyone heard when the 146's are due in SA. Seen the routes published but no a/c to fly them?

grjplanes
7th Feb 2007, 11:10
What is the routes and from when is it published?
How many aircraft is expected?
Is it suppose to replace the 737 or just additional?

Deskjocky
8th Feb 2007, 07:16
Seen the routes published but no a/c to fly them?

Isnt that ops normal for Roger the dodger?:} :}

Q4NVS
15th Feb 2007, 14:02
Heard today from another Airlink "new" recruit that apparently 3 x BAE 146's are due mid March 2007.

Next Airlink intake on 1st March 2007 supposedly for FO's that will be flying the BAE 146's.

(Sorry to the wannabees, AFAIK the candidates have already received their phone calls).

Initially the BAE 146's will be flown by "Contract" Captains until current Airlink Captains have been trained.

It sounds like J41 Captains :D will get upgraded and possibly ERJ Captains (but not sure of the latter...or if they would be interested :O )

:ok:

remoak
2nd Mar 2007, 23:21
Just got an email asking if I want to go and join this crowd (I'm an ex-146 trainer). Pay is really low, though.

Does anyone have any info regarding the company, living conditions, what it's like living in South Africa, etc. Some people have told me it is bit like the wild west, surely it has improved a bit?

Also, what routes are the 146's going to be doing?

Cheers!

Frogman1484
3rd Mar 2007, 02:38
Look for work else were mate, if you have training experience, there are lots of good jobs that pay better. I've just read an article in the New York time, that state that the 3 most dangerous places to live are Iraq, South Africa and Papua New Gene. The figures were taken from statistics from insurance claims and by crime figures released by the government, which in SA is probably toned down due to political reasons...we all know that Thabo is in denial about the situation in SA. They also stated that the trend in SA is getting worst and that after 2-3 years of improvement, the figures are on the increase again with a sharp increase over the last 5 years , particularly violent crime towards tourists visiting the country.

Now these figures were directly from insurance companies that are not controlled by the SA propaganda machine, as they are foreign companies and not Sa one's. := := :{

grjplanes
3rd Mar 2007, 10:27
Has anybody have more info on these apparent 146s?
When is the first one expected and will they be -100, -200 or maybe -300s?
And I see "unmanned" said he saw the routes published, but didn't give us anymore info, so what would it be? Can they reach TNR?

Q4NVS
7th Mar 2007, 06:59
By the magnitude of responses (none) received from all those "Eager to Respond" Link Drivers, one can only assume that they themselves have not been informed about the BAE 146's...

;)

Btw, how are the Salary Negotiations going?

RF :\ :eek: :ouch:

Link Drivers :ugh:

Good Luck Boys/Gals

unmanned
8th Mar 2007, 04:43
There is actually quite a lot of info out there, so I am sure Q4NVS will shed some light on the subject, seems to be in the know on all other subjects !!!!

Q4NVS
8th Mar 2007, 08:19
Haha - Not all as it seems though...:ooh:

Actually looking for Objective Substance, not theory, if it actually exists.

:oh: :O

Deskjocky
8th Mar 2007, 12:09
Well it appears as if Roger the dodger is very serious about this he has even spent some money on advertising the positions: BAe 146 TRI, Captains & First Officers - South Africa on climbto350

sayswho
14th Mar 2007, 16:32
guess rf has to look far for crew not many people left in sa with exp that want to soar like the proverbial turkey earning peanuts
:bored:
and if he ever does get bae it wont be based on an educated decision but more than likely some donation deal

same sad stories still going on

4HolerPoler
14th Mar 2007, 18:53
Advertising on climto350 is free for employers - Rog didn't spend a dime on that ad.

4HP

spagiola
24th Mar 2007, 19:01
Airlink adds BAe 146s (http://www.smiliner.com/news/current.shtml#0703_8) (It even has a picture!)

George Tower
26th Mar 2007, 14:25
Anyone know the reasons for their decision and what has happened to the deal they had with Embraer.....apparently a couple of E170s in the pipeline.

What routes will they fly these aircraft on?

Q4NVS
26th Mar 2007, 14:42
Cheaper aircraft I guess...:}

AFAIK:

Pietermaritzburg, Pemba, Antanarivo, Nosy-Be and George.

:zzz:

remoak
27th Mar 2007, 16:09
Hmmm well that pair of 146's are definitely very well used... spent hundreds of hours in those two! Good luck, Airlink pilots...

George Tower
27th Mar 2007, 17:00
The Embraer 170's are parked in the same hangar as the other 20 ERJ 135's R.F. ordered.

I can't see an E170 gathering dust in some hangar or the desert as they seem to be very much in demand. Different story on the 135s. For a small airline that is now 4 different types they're operating, guess that will soon be 5 if Air Botswana's ATRs are added to that list.....that'll be more types than any airline in SA...surely there will have to be some rationalisation????

beechbum
27th Mar 2007, 18:38
I can't see an E170 gathering dust in some hangar or the desert as they seem to be very much in demand
I think suitcaseman's reply was a bit tongue in cheek GT!
As for 4 types..umm with the Bae 146's coming it will make the type operated by Airlink to only 3.
Hmmm well that pair of 146's are definitely very well used... spent hundreds of hours in those two! Good luck, Airlink pilots...
Does this mean Remoak you ain't coming to SA to fly them? Are they really that tired?

George Tower
27th Mar 2007, 21:48
Tongue in cheek noted......I guess RF doesn't have the cash for new aircraft

4 types: ERJ135 / J41 / 146 and the 737s they've been using so that makes 4.

remoak
28th Mar 2007, 03:43
Beechbum

Well they are pretty tired, but they are a bit like a 20-year-old Toyota... a bit tatty and worn, but they just won't roll over and die! Damn things just keep going and going... :}

The good news is that flybe engineering was pretty darn good, so they will be in as good a shape as they can be. I imagine that the galleys and toilets will be pretty dire, though.

I definitely wouldn't mind flying them again, but it all seems to have gone rather quiet on the contract front, so who knows...

Avi8tor
28th Mar 2007, 06:08
Flybe might have good engineering section, but same can't be said for Airlink. They are used to changing little black boxes, if they have in stores. If that is not the solution, defer it till it runs out of MEL, then run around like mad. Shame, the guys on line try hard, but have problems from above.

When we chatted to other airlines that operated 146's, they said DOUBLE ur engineering strength, these are people hungry aircraft. This has not happened.

Never heard of anything british being decribed as an old toyota!!! Thats an oxymoron!!! Very complex OLD british aircraft and new crew. I see dark days ahead for the crew that fly them.

Also see loads of 911 missions in the middle of the night,for the ERJ crews.

beechbum
28th Mar 2007, 06:13
4 types: ERJ135 / J41 / 146 and the 737s they've been using so that makes 4
Ok see what you mean. But on the crewing, maintanance(sp?) and training side it's just the two for now with the third on its way. . With the arrival of146's, the 737's will be history I think!!!

Q4NVS
28th Mar 2007, 07:23
Does this mean Remoak you ain't coming to SA to fly them? Are they really that tired?

4 APU's in close formation with 1 trailing behind...:}

AFAIK Flybe actually replaced these with Q400's or ERJ195's.

Anyways, some opportunities for SA Crews which is always a good thing!

4 types: ERJ135 / J41 / 146 and the 737s they've been using so that makes 4.

Not really, because the 732's are wet-leased from SAFAIR, thus nothing required by Airlink except, routes, pax and callsign...

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/2883/airlinkch8.jpg

remoak
28th Mar 2007, 07:23
Well the 146 is not an aircraft you want if your engineering is lacking. You need a solid core of people who know the aircraft well, because it has quite a few idiosyncrasies... well, it is British, after all.

What will happen, is that all the bits that make the pilots life halfway tolerable will break (APU, TMS, GNS-X etc), and you will be flying around with a whole bunch of ADDs while the ginger beers try and work out how to fix it. There is another problem with the 146 - fumes - and it can only be minimised if your engineering department has a really good handle on preventative measures and monitoring.

It's a strong aircraft - much stronger than a Boeing - but is has some "quaint" systems. Also some very clever ones.

BTW flybe replaced these with 195's not Q400s. The Q400's replaced the other three Q's (100, 200 and 300), which in turn replaced the F27 (which was great aircraft that made flybe a lot of money, in the old days when they were Jersey European).

The really, really funny thing is that the 195 delivery schedule has slipped, so flybe are now desperately trying to source 146s to fill in until the ERJs start flowing again (and to stand in for the crappy Q400, which is tech as often as it flies).

Q4NVS
28th Mar 2007, 07:34
What will happen, is that all the bits that make the pilots life halfway tolerable will break (APU, TMS, GNS-X etc), and you will be flying around with a whole bunch of ADDs while the ginger beers try and work out how to fix it.

until the ERJs start flowing again (and to stand in for the crappy Q400, which is tech as often as it flies).

Sounds like it is more a "Ginger Beer" problem, as we do not have the same problems - Anyway, good luck with the Cricket.

:}

remoak
28th Mar 2007, 08:14
Not sure where you are, so couldn't possibly comment...

Thanks, we'll need all the help we can get with the cricket! :ugh:

ERASER
1st Apr 2007, 08:10
I saw Airlink's BAE 146-200 (G-JEAV) and according to reports she's ready for delivery (Kemble (EGBP) UK).

The c/s looks very nice!!

E

remoak
9th Apr 2007, 07:23
Yeah I had a few PMs to that effect.

Probably explains why the contract has "gone quiet".

Pity, I was looking forward to acquiring a Glock, a few Dobermans, and maybe a couple of spools of razor wire... ;)

sayswho
10th Apr 2007, 18:25
As a past employee of Airlink, SA Airlink I can honestly tell you that the place is just not worth the frustrations that go with it
If you enjoy being lied to on a daily basis and payed peanuts while RF develops a new piece of beach front property then you might fit -
You will join a select few who CANT do better for themselves who enjoy being a little airline in a big boys colour scheme - does wonders for their egos
Sorry guys cant wish you well with your new heap of :mad: seen this too many times within LINK
Hey RF suprised you dint bid on MG and Rover too while you were shopping for British Scrap !!!!!!!:yuk:

beechbum
11th Apr 2007, 07:13
You will join a select few who CANT do better for themselves who enjoy being a little airline in a big boys colour scheme - does wonders for their egos
Sayswho............!!!!!!:=

ExSAAF
20th Apr 2007, 12:29
at least they are flying for an airline and not hoping for contracts or charters hey!!

spagiola
23rd Apr 2007, 16:09
A BAE Systems press release issued today confirms the Airlink BAe 146 lease. Two 146s coming now (one on the way, the other to follow soon) and a third later this year.

CALCULATOR
25th Apr 2007, 05:35
I see the first Airlink BA 146 arrived and is parked at ORT on the Eastern side in full Airlink colours. Looks damn good.Good luck to all.

George Tower
25th Apr 2007, 10:27
Just out of interest what happened to the order for 2 x E170. Are these now cancelled?

ExSAAF
25th Apr 2007, 10:54
heard that BAE systems came to SA to train around 15 engineers for the 146. :ok: :D :D

Does any1 have a picture of the one thats at FAJS at the moment?

whiskeyflyer
25th Apr 2007, 11:09
For some pic of Airlink 146 click on
http://www.smiliner.com/
and in the news section click the news regardin Airlink
also on site is info on all the other operators of 146s, histories etc

spagiola
12th May 2007, 23:32
So, did Airlink put their 146s into service yet?

Mark J B
13th May 2007, 18:06
Nope. Still parked outside the hanger. Heard they don't have crew for them.

Mark J B
29th May 2007, 18:07
Yes they are. Had one behind us at the holding point yesterday but don't know where they were going.

Avi8tor
30th May 2007, 05:28
Trying to operate to Kruger, Ndola and George. But they are permently US. Cant get keep them both in the air together.

RF cant say he wasn't warned

cforty7
30th May 2007, 05:34
Just over a week ago, inbound to FAJS got the usual slow down to just under stall speed on a STAR taking more time than the whole flight, got told: "slowest speed for 21L, following emergency on the right".

Looking for plane in distress and what do we see? The new Link 146.

Turns out: Link trainer was on a proving flight with CAA on board, very proud of their first 'push-backble' aircraft, and they left the nose gear pin in!!

:D:D:}:}:D:D:}:}......:E

Of course it's happened to me, that's why I am allowed to laugh my head off!!

remoak
30th May 2007, 12:24
You don't need the nose pin in to push back a 146... in fact SOP is to stow all pins before engine start... What pin are you referring to?

cforty7
31st May 2007, 05:11
I know you dont, but that's the story from a fellow working there.
:hmm:

asianeagle
31st May 2007, 11:44
the nosewheel steering hydraulic bypass pin maybe????????:hmm:

the other pins are gear locking safety pins! kapeeesh!:p

ERASER
8th Jun 2007, 11:55
I saw in the paper today that RF is negotiating the selling of shares in Airlink to Nedbank (33,5%) and Coronation Capital (33,5%), the remaining 23% will be kept by him.

RF also noted that if the market dictates a 4th Bae 146-200 might be on the cards.

E

Avi8tor
8th Jun 2007, 21:25
Nedcor and Coronation are already shareholders. I am guessing BW retiring, so prob his shares. Sad day for Airlink if he is. A good man.