PDA

View Full Version : Private Flying around BNE

aluminium persuader
6th Feb 2007, 22:04
Hi guys

What's the going rate for aircraft hire around BNE? I'd be interested in both singles & multi-engine pistons.

Also, anyone any idea what would be involved in converting a UK PPL to an Aussie one?

Cheers!

ap:ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
7th Feb 2007, 00:16
Generally you need to start with an overseas validation through CASA. (Address is 39 Navigator Place, Hendra, Brisbane).
As for private hire, QLD Aviation Services at Caloundra (07 54927040) does PA-28/C172 around the $170 Mark, PA-34 at around $340 (inc GST). Tends to be a little cheaper than GAAP or CTA aerodromes due to a lack of landing fees and charges.

aluminium persuader
7th Feb 2007, 08:39
Thanks mate.

Over here (UK) I'm paying about Aus$300/hr for a Rockwell Commander & close to $500 for an old Seneca II so that compares very well. Hoping to make the big move later this year/early next. We shall see!
:ok:

ap

transonic dragon
8th Feb 2007, 01:55
You can't beat Redcliffe Aero Club, which is just north of BNE and (only just)outside controlled airspace. Very close to some of best scenery in SE Qld incl. Glasshouse Mtns, Moreton/Stradbroke/Bribie islands, Sunshine Coast and Brisbane City.

Very nice aircraft incl. C172/182, PA28, A36, P68, with one of the 172s less than 2 years old. CFI/CP Brendan is one of the best and friendliest in the business, and his instructors are all first-rate. They also have a lot of experience in overseas conversions/approvals etc. :ok:

http://www.redcliffeaeroclub.com.au/ gives all relevant information, including overseas conversions, and a primer on the local airspace so you can get some homework out of the way before you turn up.

Beware though, no matter who you go through, you still have to deal with the mighty bureacracy of CASA. Your life will be a whole lot easier if you just apply for VFR/OCTA approvals, as IFR privileges can take forever to get through.

aluminium persuader
8th Feb 2007, 08:52
Thanks Dragon.
The A36, is that an old Bonanza? Oh, disregard!

Any aerobatic a/c (not C152!) around? For comparison, I've been using a T67 Firefly.

Looks like a good club though.

ap

Jamair
9th Feb 2007, 05:44
I've spent a lot of money in the past at Redcliffe and concur with the previous poster; they are a very good organisation. :ok:

Would strongly recommend you NOT cast any more aspertions on that particular Bonanza, as its owner is a regular (hardcore?) Ppruner and may take exception!:}

FWIW, I've flown it, it has been extensively refurbished and has a new IO550, new prop, new avionics......in fact if you look on the 'more photos' thread you will find some pix of same.

You can also get good aircraft for hire at Darling Downs Aeroclub (all the usual singles) and the cheapest (and ugliest) IFR twin for hire in Oz is at TWB - an Apache 160.:p

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Feb 2007, 06:12
Aluminium Persuader - "The A36, is that an old Bonanza?"

:cool: FTDK pulls up a stool, cracks a tinny, and waits for CC to arrive!

aluminium persuader
9th Feb 2007, 08:46
Hey Jamair!

There were no nasturtiums intended! :{ As an air trafficker I know them as BE36 so I was just checking I was thinking of the right a/c. The "disregard" was because I then went to the website & saw it. :p

Ya seee? Not all ATCers are mean & heartless! ;)

Chimbu chuckles
9th Feb 2007, 11:37
That is ok AP...I picked up on 'old' meaning early model rather than 'piece of ****'.:}

She is an honest old girl...has been a labour of love and a 'work in progess' since I became her proud owner 7 years ago.

Mid year she'll be into the hangar for a new paint job and interior refit...and a few bits in pieces like new engine baffles. The finishes touches in bringing her back from somewhat less than pristine:ooh: when I found her in Perth to better than when she rolled out of the factory in 1970.

But to my mates who jumped so gallantly to her defence...:ok:

JimmyReeves
9th Feb 2007, 12:26
AP, if you want to save some $$$, aerodromes such Redcliffe, Caloundra and Caboolture are ideal. They approximately 35-50 minutes drive from Brisbane. Caloundra is an extra 30mins. There are no landing fees (from memory), they're uncontrolled and the time it takes to fly to the training area is relatively short compared to that of Archerfield. The taxi distances at these places are shorter, saving you more $$.

I hope information helps.

Cheers.

aluminium persuader
9th Feb 2007, 12:46
Thanks guys, this is all great stuff, and a laugh to boot! :ok:

I've hoping to join ASA & I'm angling for a posting to BNE (which if things work there as they do here I'll end up in Perth!).

If I do make it though, s'pose we'll have to pull up some sandbags & open a tin or three? ;)

CC - 1970's newer than me, & I'd not describe myself as over the hill...

...though I do have a fine view from here! :D

Jamair
9th Feb 2007, 13:13
AP - we KNEW what you actually meant, but it was too good an opportunity to miss. We figured you could take a joke......must be able to, look at your cricket team:uhoh: :uhoh: :ooh:

I'll still drink your tinnies as long as you supply them - I'll bring the sandbags.;)

aluminium persuader
9th Feb 2007, 22:45
Sorry - do you mean the team that WON today? :ok:

(well, better late than never, I suppose!) :{

Chimbu chuckles
10th Feb 2007, 01:51
Which 'Under 12, best 11' were they playing:}

Here the one about little Johny was in class when the teacher decided they would all stand up one at a time and tell the rest of the class what their Dad's did as a job.

Betty got up first and said "My Daddy works as a Doctor"

"That's very good Betty", said the teacher.

Timmy's Dad was a council garbo, Ben's dad was a fireman, Wendy's dad was a long distance truck driver etc...and then it came to little Johny.

"My dad works in a mens private club as an exotic dancer taking his clothes off in front of other men. Sometimes if he likes the look of a man in the audience he goes home with him and sleeps with him for money".

"LITTLE JOHNY...that is not true, what does your father does for a living!!!"

"Well...ok ....He plays for cricket England":sad:

:} :E

"

Jamair
10th Feb 2007, 12:06
Little Johnnys parents were getting divorced, but were in dispute about who got custody. Frustrated, the magistrate said "Right, let's get him in here and ask him who HE wants to live with".

So they brought him in; "Which of your parents do you want to live with Johnny?" says the beak.

"Neither, sir" he says; "They both beat me!"

"That's terrible!" says the magistrate. "What about other relatives - uncles or aunts?"

"No sir, they beat me too" says Johnny.

"Cousins, Grandparents?" says the magistrate

"They beat me as well sir" says Johnny.

"Is there ANYONE you want to live with?" says the beak

"The English Cricket Team", says Johnny. "They can't beat anyone!";)

aluminium persuader
16th Feb 2007, 21:57
Would've replied earlier but I've been away. Not hiding either!

Heard those two before, guys -
got any new ones? :zzz:

Weekend_Warrior
17th Feb 2007, 05:25
After last night, just ask any Kiwi.

djpil
17th Feb 2007, 06:30
Any aerobatic a/c (not C152!) around?I've heard that there is (or soon will be) a Citabria and Decathlon at Redcliffe.

aluminium persuader
17th Feb 2007, 11:52
thanks DJPil.

WW - ok, showing my ignorance here. What happened?
(I've been in Scotland where the only cricket they know of is Jiminy & his mates!)

Jamair
18th Feb 2007, 03:21
As far as aeros go, the best bet by far is Matt Handley at Aerotec in TWB - 4633 1315. Last I looked, he has a CT4, Boeing Stearman and Pitts in the shed.

aluminium persuader
18th Feb 2007, 22:11
Thanks Jam. Hard of him through another source too. Really hope I get that job now! :\

aluminium persuader
19th Feb 2007, 19:09
Bad news, lads. For reasons I won't go in to here the job front has stalled so the tinnies will have to go back in the fridge for the time being.
Thanks for all your input (& rib-digging!) though. :{
ap.

Sorry guys, seems you just can't keep a good man down! Things are moving once more & I'm a happy bunny!:ok: