PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe reply with quotes

WHBM
6th Feb 2007, 16:54
Used to be that Reply with Quote (bottom corner of each post) in PPRuNe worked fine, it put the text into Quote/Unquote, where you could edit it down. To do a normal reply without quotes there was the larger button at the end of the thread.

Suddenly both seem to do replies without quotes. Have I missed some announcement or some enhancement ?

Thanks all.

Globaliser
6th Feb 2007, 17:11
Suddenly both seem to do replies without quotes. Have I missed some announcement or some enhancement ?There was some discussion on this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=262371), in which certain views were expressed.

Fortunately, the quote facility remains as available as ever, if you're prepared to manipulate URLs.

If you click the Reply button at the bottom right hand corner of the post, you'll get a URL that looks something like this (without the spoiling space, of course):-http ://www.pprune.org/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3110994&noquote=1Strip out the last bit, leaving this:-http ://www.pprune.org/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3110994That will give you the old quote function back.

Needless to say, I've quoted your post just to make the point ... :)

WHBM
6th Feb 2007, 19:09
Needless to say, I've quoted your post just to make the point
Thank you very much.

whiz
7th Feb 2007, 13:38
Thank you very much.
Thats excellent, I wondered where that had gone

WHBM
7th Feb 2007, 15:12
You don't even have to strip the whole "&noquote=1" command it seems. Just strip off that final digit leaving it as "&noquote=" (or change it to anything other than 1) and it works.

Globaliser
8th Feb 2007, 09:32
You don't even have to strip the whole "&noquote=1" command it seems. Just strip off that final digit leaving it as "&noquote=" (or change it to anything other than 1) and it works.Very useful and efficient - thanks for that!

scroggs
8th Feb 2007, 09:51
The reason it was changed was to prevent people from automatically quoting the post above their own, because this practice obstructs the free flow of a thread and makes it difficult to read. Why is it that some people feel that the reader cannot work out to what the poster is replying without having huge blocks of quotes all over the place? :rolleyes: :ugh:

Scroggs

WHBM
8th Feb 2007, 10:25
I can understand the desire in some cases, as users quote the whole lot of a long post for little benefit.

However there are others of us who know different and strip off all the extraneous text, smileys, etc, down to one or two lines.

You can never be certain what will be the post above yours. By the time you have read the thread and then written something and transmitted, several others may have posted in the meantime on a busy thread.

Now if we were BA we would have a solution. Just charge £240 for any quote beyond 23 words :)

Saab Dastard
8th Feb 2007, 13:53
There is a facility to Quote from within the reply - just copy the text you want from the thread below the message pane, press the Quote button on the menu bar (extreme right) and paste.

Job done.

SD