PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada Economy Trans Atlantic

Sark
6th Feb 2007, 14:58
Anyone have any experience of Air Canada economy transatlantic. We are flying to Edmonton and back from Toronto?

The aircraft 767 300 seem old and poorly equiped.

Any comments welcomed

garthicus
6th Feb 2007, 15:34
Flew with them from LHR to Halifax return in Business class and it was awful, so I can only imagine what the economy service is like!

WHBM
6th Feb 2007, 16:41
Haven't been with AC for a few years, but an interesting story.

We were going London to Deer Lake, Nfld (connecting at St Johns Nfld) for Christmas. The fares were enormous, more than to Vancouver (it's just a 4.5 hour transatlantic sector). Part of the justification was that it was a Scheduled Service with appropriate standards, not like some Air Transat operation.

Imagine our annoyance therefore on boarding both transatlantic sectors to find the 767-200 was from the fleet with Canadian domestic/virtual charter seating pitch rather than International pitch (Air Canada maintains two differently-configured 767 fleets). Not only that, but the galleys could not handle the full international service so bits were left out. The flights were 100% full, the schedule plan having been made well beforehand to "accommodate the Christmas rush" (and free up an international aircraft for elsewhere).

Would have throught that the domestic fleet was non-ETOPS but they go to Hawaii.

So that's AC. When pushed, put the fares way up and then provide a worse aircraft than normal.

PAXboy
6th Feb 2007, 23:46
A friend travelled LHR ~ YYZ in November. It was an A330 and had some problems on start-up and delayed about two hours or so.

She said the CC were fab and helpful during delay and the FD kept them well informed and were apologetic.

She was in Y and it was not busy, in fact, was able to bag three seats and sleep during the delay and most of the flight. She spoke highly of them and would use them again. She did not mention the IFE but probably as she was sleeping most of the way.

TFlyguy
7th Feb 2007, 06:07
Flew Air Canada in Dec from LHR to Halifax on the 767........

Seat pitch was fine - IFE consisted (in Y) of 1 monitor on the front bulkhead and 2 over head monitors abut halfway down the cabin so not easy to watch and they showed "Edward Scissorhands"

The rather mature crew were efficient if not over friendly but the bar was closed an hour and a half before landing!

V800
7th Feb 2007, 18:44
11 months ago I did London-Ottawa (767) and Toronto-London (A340) with AC. Far better than BA in terms of legroom, food and cabin crew. On the return flight I asked for a beer and was told that I would have to take two cans. Didn't miss the personal TVs but it was great not to have a box in the space under the seat in front.

Arriving early at Ottawa and clearing customs in record time they even moved me on to an earlier connecting flight even though I had the cheapest most restricted ticket.

CWL2YOW
8th Feb 2007, 15:33
I do the Ottawa - Heathrow run a few times a year in economy and dread it. This route uses a clapt out 767-300 (usually in AC colours, but last time I got a Canadian Airlines cast off). IFE is of the mainscreen variety rather than seat back TVs, so no choice of movie. Usual menu choices are chicken or beef, salad and breakfast/pizza (depending on which way you are flying). Beer is free - which is more than necessary. As pointed out above, most of the cabin crew are of the mature variety.

The one time I flew business was from Toronto on a shiny 330. Or so I thought - they swapped it for a 767. Bigger seats but not much more to write home about.

My understanding is that they are waiting for the 787 before they fly the 767s to a sandy graveyard in the States or sell them to a lo-co.

In terms of price, I'm looking at a trip at the start of May and can get a return for about $630, which is less than 300GBP as the current FX.

Overall, AC does the job, but I make sure that the iPod is packed and fully charged and the eye shades are readily available.

PAXboy
8th Feb 2007, 16:18
I wonder why it is that so many posters refer to CC that 'are of the mature variety'? Does it mean that they are less helpful? Are they less experienced? Do they spend all the time talking with the others in the galley?

I am not being politically correct, I am just trying to undestand why it matters what age the CC are? I have far greater concernes when they do not speak the language of the airline as their first language and/or their ability to use the international language (English) is not good.

Do you question the age of the pilot? Do you want them to be mature? If you think about the age of the CC, I suggest that you do not say it.

Getaround
8th Feb 2007, 16:46
I fly alot from Canada to Europe & Australia, did my first few trips well most in the 767 Air Can. But not anymore:yuk: i'll only select frlights that are using the A330 & A340.

Heading to OZ next month always go Air Canada to get the stat miles but not anymore, not going on the 767, so going thought NZ with AirNZ.:)

radeng
9th Feb 2007, 10:38
Business colleagues visiting to/from the head office in Canada avoid AC if at all possible because they say it's so bad - poor service, tatty a/c, etc

Taildragger67
9th Feb 2007, 13:06
Sark,

We are flying to Edmonton and back from Toronto?
Edmonton is in Alberta, Toronto is in Ontario.

Isn't that a domestic flight? I'd be rather concerned if I boarded a flight from Toronto to Edmonton and found myself over the Atlantic... :eek:

But I've done LHR-Calgary twice, once in a 340 and once in a 744 (so clearly can't comment on the 767). Not the greatest, but comfy enough, 'cynically friendly' (ie. friendly without being fawning or obsequious) CC, good seat pitch.

If there is a competing fare from BA, then I'd probably go for that, but otherwise, just cough up the ££, pack an eye-mask and earplugs, have a couple of G&Ts at the first bar service, read a chapter or two of your book and nod off :zzz: . Standard stuff, really.

Curious Pax
9th Feb 2007, 13:55
Sark,
Edmonton is in Alberta, Toronto is in Ontario.
Isn't that a domestic flight? I'd be rather concerned if I boarded a flight from Toronto to Edmonton and found myself over the Atlantic... :eek:

UK-Edmonton, then surface to Toronto, then flight home again? My parents are doing just that in the summer (though substitue Halifax for Edmonton).

iain8867
14th Feb 2007, 22:48
I flew with Air Canada the first time from LHR to YVR, on a 747, which variation I have no idea, CC seemed uninterested in the pax, A/C seemed old but reasonably maintained, IFE on a big screen, right in front of me, ended up with a crick in my neck after about 1hr so gave up and read, didn't enjoy the flight.

I flew with them last year, not my choice my companies, from YYZ to YVR, 767 old but once again in reasonable condition, CC better on this flight, no IFE

What surprises me is that a National Flag Carrier maintains what seem to be quite old aircraft, surely newer ones would be more cost effective and give a better impression to the travelling public, as well as being able to upgrade the cabins!:confused:

MarlboroLite
15th Feb 2007, 00:05
Flown Air Canada 4 times

Heathrow-Calgary x2 The worst out of the 2 was onboard a 767, food was edible, the IFE wasn't good, but it was better than reading the inflight mag cover to cover for the 6th time.
2nd time was in business onboard an Airbus A340, It's definetly not BA Clubworld, but better than being stuck in cattle.

The other 2 flights were back in the late 80's early 90's,first flight to toronto was on a 747-100, and the 2nd was an internal flight on a DC9 from Toronto to Quebec.
i can't remember the exact year, but i do remember there being an Airshow in Quebec, and one of the main attractions was the Antonov AN225 (big 6 engined plane) at the event. I think it was the very first time it has been seen outside of the USSR (as it was then)

manintheback
15th Feb 2007, 07:48
Air Canada is old old old (except one Airbus that plies the LHR route if lucky enough to be on it). Legacy of financial problems and serious fleet upgrade needed if they ever find the money. If the price is right take it, otherwise use someone else. Shame Virgin pulled out of the Toronto route so quickly after 9/11.

CWL2YOW
15th Feb 2007, 15:32
My ex-landlord is an AC pilot - he says that they will be getting new new new when the 787 takes to the skies.
I've used them internally many times - the one that stands out (Toronto to Saskatoon maybe) was when we got a new Airbus, with individual seat back videos, better seats etc. Usually, however, you don't get such luxuries and uniterested CCs (far better description than my 'more mature' 1st attempt above).

Edit - I may be using them for an YOW-LHR trip in May. $625 (about 300GBP) return isn't bad, but the iPod will be fully charged and decent book to hand.

James 1077
15th Feb 2007, 15:57
Used AC just under a week ago on Heathrow to Edmonton (and then on to Calgary on AC Jazz).

Plane was a 767, pretty new and had really good IFE with Video on Demand on the personal screen in economy. Check-in staff were great and were able to find us a couple of bulkhead seats as my wife was still recovering from an op.

Given that we had bulkhead seats the pitch was obviously very good but I wouldn't have been too disappointed with the normal seat pitch either.

Looking into Business class the seats looked good; all flat beds in their own pods; not great if you are flying with family but good if you are by yourself.

Food was pretty good for Y class; not great but at least it was edible. Crew were very friendly and helpful; but you do wonder what AC will do in 10 years time when they all retire! :)

All in all very pleased - even the AC Jazz flight in the Dash was great even though the plane was a bit old.

Flying back to LHR in a couple of days so may be on an older plane but, at the moment, I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

CWL2YOW
15th Feb 2007, 17:11
Here's a typical posting from http://www.airlinequality.com (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_can.htm) - this is an example of typical postings regarding AC transatlantic flights.
Have flown YYZ-LHR four times this year, and have to say service is consistently feeble, and AC inflight product in both Y and J class ranks far below Star Alliance EU and Asian member carriers. Staff seem to lack enthusiasm, grace and sense of service where one feels the FAs really enjoy their job and taking care of pax. On each flight the cabin interiors are tired, magazines dog-eared, torn or missing, beverage and meal services are truly bottom of the barrel, tasteless, small and cheap. Even business class fails to deliver, long gone are the days of 5-star dining at 35,000ft. Nothing innovative, special or memorable. As for IFE, they are finally upgrading this product to enter the 21st century (only 6 years late). Since the film selection and audio programming is so bad I usually stick to my iPod which also helps drown out the screaming kids that seem to populate this route. Air Canada could gain a lot of benefit by introducing frequent-flyer only flights to some popular long- haul routes (no kids, no tourists, no school groups). With airlines like Swiss, Singapore, Thai and Air New Zealand in the family who really know how to deliver comfort on long-haul, Air Canada needs to pull it's socks up in terms of staffing and inflight product.

Gonzo
16th Feb 2007, 05:53
I've just returned from a LHR-YYC trip in economy. On both sectors I was impressed by the service. The check in was easy both ends (online check in at LHR, just bag drop), although both agents suggested a change of seating to what they suggested were better options (on the return leg, the agent sat me on one end of the four centre seats, and my brother at the other end in an attempt to reserve the whole row. It worked).

Food was good, and the ice cream on both flights was a welcome surprise. The pitch was average, but I'm sure the seats are thin compared to other airlines, because there seemed to be a lot of legroom. Possibly the most legroom I've experienced in economy. Drinks services were frequent, cabin crew friendly and chatty.

I'd certainly use them again.

Married a Canadian
18th Feb 2007, 12:51
Funny how the standards on Air Canada seem to vary so much. On this thread alone it is either great or s***.

I've flown transatlantic with them afew times now...mostly on the 767s on YYZ to LHR but once on a A340. I'm afraid I found them pretty poor. IFE..not good. No seat back TV. I also got a crick in my neck trying to watch the movie!
In flight service....iffy...asked for mask on night flight and was told that was for business only...cabin crew on the flights I took all seemed bored and the passengers were an irritant (which I know we are). My favourite was asking for a Gin and tonic and been given a glass filled to the brim with tonic. When I asked where I could put the Gin she rolled her eyes and gave me a separate glass for it. Literally correct I suppose.

I will pretty much always take BA if fares are same or just a wee bit more expensive. Although if you start a BA quality thread..you end up with the same reponses...great or s***. Depends on when you fly and luck of the draw.

I am flying KLM in April from YYZ-AMS and then AMS-ABZ. It will be an interesting comparison as I haven't flown KLM for afew years.

I understand that Air Canada long haul flights to Hong Kong and Shanghai from Toronto on the A340s are a lot better and the IFE is pretty good.

ACL1011
19th Feb 2007, 18:55
A little off-topic, but the discussion of the age of AC flight attendants reminded me of a school friend who worked as one in the summers. She told me that the younger FAs resented those with seniority (who got the better assignments) and nicknamed them 'airbags'. So fret not James_1077, AC has plenty of airbags-in-waiting to staff the flights in 10 years.