PDA

View Full Version : easyJet Emergency?

Localiser Green
6th Feb 2007, 11:31
Anyone know why EZY7204 (G-EZIU, an A319) was squawking 7700 descending over north London on her way into Liverpool from Barcelona about half an hour ago?

jet_noseover
6th Feb 2007, 12:13
Emergency services were called to Stansted Airport when an airliner had to land after developing a possible technical problem.
The Easyjet Airbus A319 from Barcelona to Liverpool made a precautionary landing at the airport on Tuesday.

None of the 78 passengers and crew on the flight were injured and the plane was expected to continue its journey to Liverpool once checks had taken place.

Easyjet said fire crews were on standby at the airport as a precaution.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/essex/6335209.stm

jay_hl
6th Feb 2007, 13:51
squawking 7700

Where have you got this info from? :hmm:

Another Number
6th Feb 2007, 14:56
:ooh: :eek:

(Too much time on their hands/money to spend on toys!)

L-Band
6th Feb 2007, 15:00
Here we go :mad: SBS units being used to extract info, should be banned :hmm:

IB4138
6th Feb 2007, 15:11
No big deal, aircraft was only a tad over 2 hours down landing at Liverpool.

herbie963
6th Feb 2007, 17:11
was a pax on this flight, big credit to the capt and crew, very unflustered, calm and professional, ...... still didnt like the experience much though!

ok1
6th Feb 2007, 20:10
Where have you got this info from? Some site of this type, possibly:
http://www.openatc.com/showemergencies.asp

mainecoon
7th Feb 2007, 14:35
think you all who are having a go at loc green may not have thought he may have his own Air Traffic Radar
as in work:eek:

Skytrucker87
7th Feb 2007, 15:40
Had to giggle at the report on the beeb "the aircraft landed safely UNDER ITS OWN POWER"

RAT 5
7th Feb 2007, 15:48
So, what was the problem? Let's try and learn something instead of all the usual "I'm smarter than you" journo bashing twaddle.

What caused a normal landing to necessitate a 7700 sqk? How did ATC coordinate the scenario? After the recent thread about EZY PAN/Mayday/Fuel emergency into LPL due short fuel and the ensuing debate about what call to make to ATC, this event might have some educational value.

brooker100
7th Feb 2007, 19:30
I have gained some inside information, and I can tell you that the crew had indications of a double engine failure and declared a mayday. There was no engine failure and the aircraft landed safely, so just another tech problem.

Scuzi
7th Feb 2007, 20:42
There were no indications of engine failure. They were getting high EGT readouts on both engines which apparently didn't correlate with all other readouts. Both engines were operating as normal and the landing was made as a precaution.

It's no big deal, it was a fairly standard event.

The Flying Cokeman
7th Feb 2007, 20:55
Scuzi,
Don't know where you have got that information from but you are incorrect. := As Brooker 100 says, the crew had Double engine failure indication on their ECAM, but both engines still running.

This is a part of a mail that I have received on the EZY intranet: "The flight from Barcelona to Liverpool was interrupted when the aircraft displayed a double engine failure indication."
TFCM

Scuzi
7th Feb 2007, 21:14
As far as I'm aware, what I said is what they told ATC, although I wasn't actually handling the emergency so I may be wrong.

Captain Greaser
7th Feb 2007, 22:54
L-Band why do you think sbs recievers should be banned?While I am not an "aerosexual" I am a professional pilot who has an interest in computers and radio and have such a device.Gives me hours of fun as well as giveing me an appreciation of atc.
By the way well done you lads at Easy.

Sallyann1234
9th Feb 2007, 13:29
L-Band why do you think sbs recievers should be banned?

I'd like to know that as well. As a PPL I have found it extremely useful in understanding ATC procedures. What's the harm?
Sal

Scuzi
9th Feb 2007, 18:54
Well that's the thing, you can't go using that information to understand ATC procedures as you will have no idea what is going on apart from what you can see. You'll only be able to see aircraft which are ADS-B equipped. On top of that, what you see on the radar and what you hear on the R/T is only half of what is going on.
The only way to understand what goes on in ATC is to organise a liasion visit and sit, watch and listen to what is going on. If you're lucky an ATCO might even try to explain what happens :)

There is also a security issue. Besides, we don't want people watching when we cock up! :E

Sallyann1234
9th Feb 2007, 21:13
I've done the visit and it was extremely useful, but there's a limit to what you can learn in such a short time.
Watching the SBS screen while listening to the RT has been invaluable to me. Yes, 40% of the flights into a major airport don't appear on the screen. That might be a disappointment to an anorak, but to me it's actually a benefit! Working out where they are on the screen from the ATC instructions, and mentally interpolating them into the traffic flow, is an excellent way of developing a sound understanding of 3D airspace.
I assume your point about cock-ups was not serious since they will be picked up by more reliable means and by more important people than me.
Sal

Scuzi
9th Feb 2007, 21:43
I assume your point about cock-ups was not serious since they will be picked up by more reliable means and by more important people than me.
Sal
I know all too well!:p

birdofprey
12th Feb 2007, 17:32
I heard some further news about the EZY incident, apparently the crew were not only given spurious indications from the ECAM as to engine failures, but they also had a number of problems with the displays themselves. The captain lost his PFD and according to my sources, the ECAM display repeatedly threw up ECAM fault warnings which the crew could not cancel. I hear the Post Flight Report was totally saturated to the extent that they ran out of printer paper printing it.:eek:

While bugs are inherent especially in the 'bus, maybe you pilots out there can shed some light on this one. If the ECAM is pumping out hundreds of fault messages which are erroneous, how do you know whether there are other failures lower down on the list which you cannot see? That and actions like how to recover your PFD..;)

I understand also that the AAIB are investigating. They must be getting good at A319s after the Easyjet power failure in Bristol!:;)

dawn raider
12th Feb 2007, 19:20
I certainly wouldn't belittle this event at all.

Having two rapid warnings that if you follow the ECAM tell you to turn off the engines........ compounded by what appears to be multiple false and unsubstantiated warnings......... AND PFD / ND info degredation.........and all in the london TMA where it's a little busy at the best of times is not 'nothing' as a previous poster said.

I've been a trainer and examiner and I'd have had a hell of a time working out what was going on.

I think the crew did a sterling job getting on the ground asap.

I'd love to meet them and hear it from them so I can learn from their experience.

for what it's worth I've been on the bus for a number of years and have nothing but praise for it-- but when it drops you in it, it really does it properly.

willbe waiting for the report with interest.:eek:

FlapsOne
12th Feb 2007, 21:08
Careful of mis-information.

The Captain did not lose his PFD. He lost 'some data from his PFD and ND'. There were other spurious warnings as the system responsible for providing the info (DMC 1) was, in all probability it seems, malfunctioning.

The possibility of this is covered in the FCOM, but there is no way this crew had the time to address that and they did a sterling job when presented with confusing issues.

The investigation is reported as 'on-going' but I see no reference to AAIB in today's email to all crew.