PDA

View Full Version : Hostile Locations

portsharbourflyer
5th Feb 2007, 18:24
Would you accept a job in a hostile part of the world in order to get your first multi crew/multi turbine job?

Snoop
5th Feb 2007, 19:31
Depends what responsibilities you have and if it is legal. If you are free to follow any path you choose and if taking the risk gets what you really want - the answer would be yes. Best of luck mate. You might need it!

High Wing Drifter
5th Feb 2007, 19:57
Yep :E We only live once!

The ludicrous demands made on wannabes by the Ryanairs and MyTravels of this world as brought aid related ops into focus, the more me and the missus discuss it, the more we are talking our selves into it. Although not multi-crew, the Mission Aviation Fellowship would be the sort of thing I would want to be involved in, I don't have the basic core experience at this time, and I'm not a practicing Christian - my wife is, but I don't think that counts. Certainly more fulfilling that bucket and spade brigade airborne charabanc.

Snakecharmer
5th Feb 2007, 20:45
If some risk-averse civil servant in the FCO advises against travel somewhere, I reckon that's like reason enough in itself to go there!

(doesn't mean it's that pleasant, though!)

StraightLevel
6th Feb 2007, 16:16
Come on guys!

Scotland's not that bad ;)

On a serious note:

How hostile is the country?

Is there a risk you might be killed or taken hostage?

Straightlevel

portsharbourflyer
6th Feb 2007, 17:29
Three suicide bombings in the last two years, bordering an active conflict zone.

Westerners could be a hostage target in this area.

Prefer to avoid giving too many details as this is not a confirmed offer, but looks as though it could lead to something if I choose to pursue it further.

south coast
6th Feb 2007, 17:47
How about telling us the country as maybe some of might have worked there and are able to offer some advice.

Luke SkyToddler
6th Feb 2007, 18:29
... so ... er ... that's five LESS suicide bombers than London's had in the last two years!!

Really puts a Luton base into perspective doesn't it :rolleyes:

portsharbourflyer
7th Feb 2007, 17:26
Good point LST, however I think these were separate events, where as the London bombings were all in one day.

Callsign Kilo
8th Feb 2007, 14:40
Being from Northern Ireland; I was once told that when BA operated their Shuttle service from BFS during the height of the troubles, they refused to base their aircraft and crew in the province. Allegedly their plane was based at GLA and flew over empty each morning before the first flight! Obviously BA felt things were a little too hostile at the time, however I think they changed their opinions when things began to quieten down somewhat.

WX Man
10th Feb 2007, 23:33
Where do I sign?

(survey job in the middle east is it? been offered to a couple of mates of mine, all of whom have turned it down)

ToiletDucky
11th Feb 2007, 00:18
Depends on the job. If you aren't going to take it I'd like to hear about it.