PDA

View Full Version : Flying VFR/Single to the Bahamas

invertedspin10
5th Feb 2007, 16:40
Last year we had a very enjoyable time doing a seaplane rating at Jack Browns and then afterwards renting a C172 (wheels) and flying around Florida. This year we plan to be a bit more adventurous and fly to the Bahamas.
Does anyone have any experience of doing this in a C172 or similar VFR?
We both have PPLs with around 500hrs but no IFR/IMC experience or IR rating.
One concern is during the water crossing the sky/sea merging problem causing disorientation on a hazy day. Is this a common problem?
The other question is where to rent an aircraft and if it is possible to hire and then fly to the Bahamas. I understand some flight schools have prohibited some trips for insurance reasons?

If anyone can recommend a suitable place or give details of websites with a good list of rental places it would be much appreciated.

Any advice would be great.

Many Thanks

Ye Olde Pilot
5th Feb 2007, 17:54
Not rocket science. As a starter try flying out to Freeport on Grand Bahama, then on to North Eleuthera with a night stop at Pineapple Cove.

Fly to Nassua on the second morning then on to Bimini before a return to Lauderdale Exec. Two days and one night and you won't get hit for minimal rental surchrges on a 172.

ZFT
6th Feb 2007, 02:48
Rented a C172 G1000 equipped from Dean Aviation at Kendell a few months ago. Good people to deal with. All arranged remotely and no issues at all.

Went to Freeport initially then worked our way down the Exumas for 7 days or so.

IIRC minimum rental was 3 hrs weekday and 4 hrs weekend.

(There is some good info on Bahamas flying in this months AOPA mag)

http://[11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/ZFT/IMG_0415.jpg

B2N2
6th Feb 2007, 11:35
This website has a lot of good info;
http://fly-bahamas.com/content.aspx?page=home

Airport info and little video clips about the visual approaches into the airports.
Some flight schools require an instrument rating to leave the state of Florida.
No VFR night flying allowed in the Bahama's, poor to no radio or radar coverage at lower altitudes.
Bahama Ministry of Tourism recommends you have a GPS on board.

bean_ian
5th Mar 2007, 15:59
So I guess a new PPL wouldnt have much look finding an FBO willing to let them do this trip?:(

Henry Hallam
5th Mar 2007, 16:11
You might be surprised, I have no experience with this particular trip but have generally found American FBOs to be very accomodating and haven't had any hassle over fairly adventurous trips with less than 100hrs in my logbook.

Pilot DAR
6th Mar 2007, 11:21
I took my wife and two Brompton folding bikes in my C150 from Canada to Freeport, it was a great trip! A moving map GPS will be reassuring, so you can watch the Bahamas shoreline as you approach. The day we did it the visibility was poor and it was raining, but no problem. Instead of looking for suitable landing areas as you go along, you're looking to see how you will set up a ditching in front of helpful looking vessels!

We ran afoul of the Bahamian Immigration officer though because we had not made prior hotel reservations - this is apparently important to them. I had to remind my wife to ride on the other side of the road. Other than that, great! Have a good trip!

Pilot DAR

BigEndBob
6th Mar 2007, 23:08
If you sea a towering cumulus, usually an island underneath! hiding in the shadow.

Try searching around West Palm Beach as its the closest to the Bahamas, then its a bit like crossing the Channel from Southampton.