PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter training in Cape Town

SA-JET
5th Feb 2007, 12:37
Hi!
I would greatly appreciate any info re heli training in the cape. Which are the good schools? I only know of BASE4, who are the others? It has been a dream of mine to be a heli pilot since 'kleintyd' and I think now is the time for me to actively investigate and pursue this passion. So, if there are any heli pilots on the site, I would love to hear from you. How did you become a pilot (airforce or private?), what does it take to be a heli pilot etc. Any comments/insights will really be appreciated.

Take care
:)

Chopper 1
9th Feb 2007, 06:10
Base 4 very good. Doug and Frank high time instuctors both really excellent. Jannie at Heli also very good.Both companies are good operators.Bank on around 50 hours to get a PPL (h) if you dont have any flying time at all. Good luck

allovertheplace
9th Feb 2007, 19:58
SA-JET

Glad to see that its not only me wanting to do helicopter training in ct. Im a commercial fixed wing pilot and plan, in the next year or so to obtain helicopter license. I would then however market myself as a dual rated.

Ideal is that I will be able to fly for a co like NAC. Does anybody know if they will employ a pilot (with sufficient turbine exp) if you do helicopter training through them???

regards
aotp

4HolerPoler
9th Feb 2007, 20:58
My honest opinion is that you'll never recoup the cost of doing your helo comm now; but hell, don't let that change your mind, go for it - you'll never regret it & you'll have the time of your life.

But being dual-rated won't make you more marketable. It'll just increase the thread diameter of your posterior for, a'hem, future employers to take advantage of.

This from someone's who's got the T-shirt.

4HP

madherb
10th Feb 2007, 06:11
AAH - 4HP - indeed, the man speaks from experience! From the African hinterland, chasing after HRH Bonny Prince Charlie and his henchmen in Botswana in a humble helo, to the rarified atmosphere of a 747 flight deck.

Good stuff! In my opinion, helo drivers are fixed wing drivers who have studied further...........:E:E

:ok: M

allovertheplace
10th Feb 2007, 09:37
Thanx 4HP for your advice. However, my goal is not to make myself more marketable. I think, as it is, I would not sit without a good job again (hopefully)depite of flying contract in the deepest of dark africa. Im still young so yes...I can still fly contract for the next 5 years but what then....

So what I would try is to obtain my h comm for future use. So if one day when im sick of africa and all is %^$# and your averege airline and africa would take only certain :ooh: pilots I hope to have a allmost full proof backup plan.

It all comes down to what lies ahead for us in aviation for the next few years...not being negative.

P.S SA-JET. Sorry for the deviation from the original thread.

Flying Lawyer
12th Feb 2007, 23:12
SA-JET

Becoming a helicopter pilot (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253856)

Useful links to training all over the world.

FL