PDA

View Full Version : Incredible recovery of a King Air............

BRL
5th Feb 2007, 10:40
Well done guys!

http://www.kfvs12.com/

stolen from a thread in D&G..............

Grum
5th Feb 2007, 13:02
That's outrageous! I can't get over the condition of the tail plane. Weird though. If the screen is only spidered then there was no explosive decompression therefore you would think the pilots wouldn't have passed out. They would have donned masks and gone through the cracked windshield procedure, depending on whether the inner or outer glass was cracked.

Secondly, at flight level 200 the chances are that the autopilot would be on therefore no 'freefall', just two unconsious pilots. The plane would fly on until it ran out of fuel like Helios 737.

And finally it is implied that the loss of the tail plane and the bent wing are a result of the 'freefall' i.e. exceeding VNE and breaking the aeroplane. If that is actually what happened then that is scary stuff. Unsurprisingly I think the news haven't really got the facts straight.

Either way the crew did an incredible job and it makes me feel confident knowing that a kingair can still fly in that condition.

What about a flock of very large birds?? That could inflict that sort of damage. 20000 feet . . . not unheard of.
:ouch:

scooter boy
5th Feb 2007, 18:42
Some thoughts:

So was the O2 tank full or empty when they tried to switch it on following the decompression? Had it been refilled and the system recently checked? Why did the masks not revive them? Did they manage to switch it on at all?

A very near complete structural failure ensued which almost took out a low level helicopter as well.

Seems Jesus really was with them.

SB

Flying Farmer
5th Feb 2007, 21:52
Well done those chaps for getting it back on the ground in that condition.

Hopefully the report will come out soon on the cause of this, I'm sure it will make interesting reading.

I certainly am not going to speculate on what happened to cause a structural failure like that, must have been a nightmare ride.

Saab Dastard
5th Feb 2007, 22:46
The next thing those guys should do is go buy a lottery ticket!!!

:D

SD

bwicker
6th Feb 2007, 09:01
One of them was my primary flight instructor for about a year, they're both more than competent pilots, PIC was a 4500 hr ATP. They're obviously tight lipped about it right now as far as specifics to the press and such. But from what i've heard, they were on autopilot, windshield spiderwebbed, they disconnected AP; donned their masks, and headed for the deck while they dumped pressure because they were afraid of the windsheild blowing out. Haven't heard what happened to the O2 system. I'm guessing the tail started to fail during the pull out. When the guy in right seat woke up they were falling through 9,000 inverted in about an 80 degree dive, so if the tail was that destroyed before he started recovery he wouldn't have gotten it out in time would be my assumption. But there are a few pictures on teh web of some of the damage. The wings started to fold up about 2/3 the way down the wings, obviously the tail damage, but something you don't see in the picture is the crumpling behind the airstairs. Looks like they could easily have folded the wings and lost the entire empennage. Just glad my friends and I are not going to a funeral today.

jonny dangerous
10th Feb 2007, 13:44
NTSB Identification: CHI07LA063
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, February 02, 2007 in Cape Girardeau, MO
Aircraft: Raytheon Aircraft Company B200, registration: N777AJ
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On February 2, 2007, about 1030 central standard time, a Raytheon Aircraft Company B200, N777AJ, sustained substantial damage during an uncontrolled descent and recovery from cruise at flight level 270. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The flightcrew reported that they depressurized the airplane after noticing cracking of the airplane windshield. They then donned their oxygen masks but were unable to obtain oxygen from the oxygen system resulting in their loss of consciousness. They later regained consciousness, recovered from the descent, and landed without further incident at Cape Girardeau Regional Airport, Cape Girardeau, Missouri. The 14 CFR Part 91 flight was operating on an instrument rules flight plan. The pilot and copilot were uninjured. The flight originated from Rogers Municipal Airport-Carter Field, Rogers, Arkansas, at 0939.

On-scene inspection of the airplane noted that approximately 2/3 of the left horizontal stabilizer and elevator were separated from the aircraft and 2/3 of the right elevator was separated but attached at the inboard hinge. The left and right wings were wrinkled. The left pilot windshield outer and inner ply were intact. The inner ply exhibited a shattered appearance with a crack at the lower right hand corner of the windshield. The cabin pressurization dump switch was in the dump position.

The oxygen system worked when it was functionally tested in accordance with Airplane Flight Manual.

jonny dangerous
10th Feb 2007, 13:50
Next time, put the masks on, make sure they work, then depressurize...

(with the benefit of hindsight...)

Chequeredflag
10th Feb 2007, 14:00
I've seen a video of this incident - Youtube I think, I'll try to find it. The damage is pretty serious, and the guy did an amazing job getting it down

Jetstream Rider
10th Feb 2007, 14:25
I wonder what the checklist says? I've had a broken windshield in a pressurized aeroplane - the outer pane. We flew with it for about 3.5 hours (no choice!) and it posed no problems. The checklist said to depressurise only if there was windshield deformation or cabin altitude could not be controlled. It also said to descend immediately in that case.

With the benefit of hindsight and what has happened to me, I think in the absence of further information or checklist, I would put on my mask, descend and then open the outflow valve.

I wonder what these guys actually did (bearing in mind the first sentence of the report) and how much of it was induced by the checklist. I'll be interested to see the full report.

bubbers44
10th Feb 2007, 14:59
We had the outer pane shatter on a B737 one night at FL330. The captain initiated an emergency descent and went on oxygen. I got a descent clearance and turned the windshield heat off to get rid of the arcing. I got out the check list and since the heat was already off for outer pane the only restriction was 250 knots below 10,000 ft. Doing absolutely nothing but getting out the check list was the way it should have been handled. At least we didn't tear up the airplane.

Mäx Reverse
10th Feb 2007, 15:15
Here's a link to clip of the king air landing an taxiing in, typical US news style. Fast Forward to about 1:30.

http://www.kfvs12.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?clipid1=1213165&at1=News&vt1=v&h1=Emergency+Landing&d1=223734&redirUrl=www.kfvs12.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage

The damage is indeed incredible and theese guys were lucky indeed, descending and landing on 1/2 stabilizer and 1/3 elevator attached by one hinge!

Fly Safe, MAX reverse

merlinxx
10th Feb 2007, 15:21
Good article in this months Business & Commercial Avtn page 34

jonny dangerous
10th Feb 2007, 15:57
A former colleague from Airbus days was relating a story to me recently that was similar to bubbers44's story. Apparently a 737NG crew had been in cruise for some time when they realized that the WINDOW HEAT had not been turned ON prior to takoff, and was still OFF.

Without thinking, someone reached up and turned the WINDOW HEAT ON.

Immediately the outer pains heated up, "shock heating" occurred, and the four outer panes cracked...

vapilot2004
10th Feb 2007, 17:22
I wonder what the checklist says? I've had a broken windshield in a pressurized aeroplane - the outer pane.

Descend to FL250 or less. Reset cabin press differential to 4psi or less.

Should the window be showing signs of imminent failure -deformation,increasing cabin altitude or inner pane damage, the drill was to make emergency descent, lower cabin diff pressure (0psi if possible) and O2 as needed.

Fortunately for them, the King Air is one sturdy aeroplane. Airframe limitations are above 3 Gs.

ChristiaanJ
10th Feb 2007, 17:40
NTSB Identification: CHI07LA063
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors.
The flightcrew reported that they depressurized the airplane after noticing cracking of the airplane windshield. They then donned their oxygen masks but were unable to obtain oxygen from the oxygen system resulting in their loss of consciousness.
The oxygen system worked when it was functionally tested in accordance with Airplane Flight Manual.
NTSB, rather than the local news. So not just journalese.
FL270... they may not have recognized how fast anoxia would set in, IF indeed they depressurized before trying to use the oxygen system.
They survived.... thanks to their guardian angel....
Whether they goofed, as only the report suggest so far... not really the issue, is it?
But if this thread remains in the back of some people's minds, and saves some lives in the future, it will already have served its purpose.

"Oxygen FIRST, everything else afterwards."

Keith Hobday
10th Feb 2007, 18:10
This happened to me april 06 at fl250.It was the inner ply which had shattered. We followed our checklist!! Get the cabin pressure to 10,000ft quick and decend to FL 100. It clearly states in our checklist " That the windshield will remain intact",which is quite a statement when your looking at a shattered windshield at altitude.

bomarc
10th Feb 2007, 18:27
I have to say that one of the most unpleaseant tasks of PREFLIGHT inspection/cockpit is checking the oxygen system.

at an airline, you have the "cooties" (forgive the bit of fun) from the prior crew.

if it is YOUR king air, shouldn't be so bad.

BUT you must put the mask on, and check the flow and intercom if installed.

after the payne stewart crash, you would think people would check this.

it is interesting to note that the oxygen system worked when checked later on...I wonder how much training is given to the oxygen system at those well known sim schools?

I am very glad the crew made it out alive...but anyone who hasn't checked their oxygen system prior to flight is just asking for a problem...you might want to time how long to get the mask on and flowing under pressure and practice it with your eyes closed...also donning smoke goggles if seperate.

ZeBedie
10th Feb 2007, 22:32
Wasn't there a Kingair that flew itself all around Europe after the crew failed to get on O2 about 20 years ago?

His dudeness
11th Feb 2007, 17:33
More han 30 years ago actually I think it was in late 1973 or early 1974...CAA trial flight during certificaion if I remember correctly. 3 crew, all dead, with their masks on.
The Oxygen valve sits in the empennage jus in front of the emer exit and can be frosted over, thus blocking flow. Therefore we used to switch on (pressurize the O2 System) in the before startup list. I have been flying with a lot of KA operators that wouldnt do that in order to save oxygen - you loose a little bit every time you switch it on or test it. Lot of system are a bit leaky too...in the old KA (prior BB1476) the O2 on and the mask drop handles were mounted overhead, same levers - so to prevent mistakes, some operators wouldnīt arm to. N777AJ is newer, the arming lever is beside the pedestal to the right, the "rubber djungle" is to the left. It comes with EROS quickdonning masks, housed in the overhead panel. The type that inflates the harness with oxygen pressure - which usually should be a sign of a pressurized oxygen system itself.
Had 2 windshields cracked in a B200, the most serious part of it was the soiling of my underpants. We even tried to crack it after it was off the airplane and we couldnīt smash it with the crash axe and a hammer. That stuff is sturdy.
The checklist was changed in this point years ago (maybe 8 ?) and I donīt recall wether the 4PSI was the old or new procedure. Iīm pretty sure you donīt have to dump.
If the video is right and the guys dumped and passed out then, they made a pretty stupid mistake. Their flying afterwards seems to be pretty well done. And part of the fame has to go to the best turboprop ever build, the rugged KingAir.

GotTheTshirt
11th Feb 2007, 19:53
Z,
Yes a B200 out of Leavesdon UK on a crew training flight.
Went up to 30+ and did a decompression.
They had mask on but the B200 had the O2 cylinder in the aft fuselage operated by a wire cable from the cockpit.
They put on the masks and opened the valve but the valve on the O2 cylinder had frozen and did not open. the cockpit lever was in the open but the cable "bunched"
The aircraft flew on A/P over the south of England and crashed in Northern France when it ran out of fuel.

GTS

rustle
11th Feb 2007, 20:38
September 5, 2000 a King Air flew from Perth (WA) to outback Queensland on autopilot after a pressurisation issue. Level at 25K for 3200+ kms.

See here (http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/stories/s196131.htm) for ABC report. There will be an ATSB report somewhere, too.

8 dead.

rigpiggy
11th Feb 2007, 21:42
not on the KA myself but after this happened, made an extra check on picking up the a/c from another crew. o2 was on but no flow, flights restricted to 13k. a/c in hangar for 1.5 hrs after o2 valve unfroze. fittings disconnected and drained

ChristiaanJ
11th Feb 2007, 21:54
Sorry if somewhat O/T.
LOX supply in the F104G, early days (sixties), contamination problems. Similar story, flew for hundreds of miles on A/P before hitting a mountain in Norway. Friend of a friend of mine, so stuck in my memory ever since.

Mark99
13th Feb 2007, 05:53
The errors here are too many to even go over.
Crack in windshield - Set cabin to 4.0 psid (Checklist)
Put on mask (that was checked and O2 turned on before takeoff)
Start emergency descent (Checklist)
TUC at FL250? 3-5 minutes
Rate of descent at 180 KIAS (gear speed), between 7 and 8,000 fpm
Time to reach 18,000 - just over a minute
TUC at 18,000 - 30 minutes or more
I think they depressurized (why) and didn't start down. Hence, when the O2 wasn't there, they passed out.
Marvelous tribute to the King Air airframe.
OBW, in the newer B200 (BB1444 and after) the O2 ON handle is on the left of the center console and the Passenger Manual Dropout handle is on the right (right below the Condition Levers).
There's nothing in the NTSB preliminary to conclude anything other than PE.
Sounds almost like the Payne Stewart accident but they lucked out.
Loooooots of KA time, former FSI instructor (Center 32)

AlexEvans
13th Feb 2007, 10:14
Can anyone post a working link please?

BRL
13th Feb 2007, 12:27
I think this one works

http://www.kfvs12.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?clipid1=1213165&at1=News&vt1=v&h1=Emergency+Landing&d1=223734&redirUrl=www.kfvs12.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage

Red Mud
13th Feb 2007, 19:35
Here is an excerpt from someone's accounting of the incident:
"Yesterday I was over in Cape Girardeau working on our 170 when a call came
in for an emergency diversion.
Basically, a King Air 200 was on route to Virginia from Arkansas when, at
27,000 feet, the left windshield shattered causing an immediate and rapid
decompression. Given your useful consciousness at this altitude is
measured in seconds, both pilots blacked out. (Fortunately, there were no
passengers on board).
Whether they initiated a rapid descent or lost control and ended up in a
steep dive is not known as the two pilots have little recollection of the
event both fading in and out of consciousness until shortly before landing.
They took turns, unintentionally, of waking up and blacking out and
fighting to regain control of the aircraft. One pilot stated "I remember
thinking we're in a spin and seeing that the airspeed was pegged beyond
indicated. I thought, wow, we're going too fast, reached up and pulled the
power to idle, then blacked out again".
Assume they were pretty much at terminal velocity headed straight down.
At 13,000 feet, (give or take), they started fighting to pull the aircraft
out of a dive. It took both of them. The stress on the airframe must have
been unreal, as you will see.
From that point, parts started leaving the aircraft until landing and they
lost control of pitch. They went almost vertical again and it took both
pilots pushing as hard as they could to get the aircraft to start
descending.
They regained some control around 7,000 feet and were close to cape where
they diverted.
It is fortunate that they did not have a tail stall as you will see, and I
have no earthly idea how they controlled pitch.
There is a God and sometimes he gets your attention to remind you how close
we could all be to standing before him. There is no way this aircraft
could have been flown and landed to a relatively uneventful landing and
they walk away. I cannot explain it and I think you will see what I mean
especially after viewing the empennage.
According to the radar, they lost 20,000 feet in roughly a minute and a
half.
The aircraft is totaled, but again, they taxied to the ramp. Waited a few
hours, and got a car and drove home.
Fortunately, the windscreen did not come in completely, but still should
have most likely been fatal at that altitude."
It sures seems like they weren't in line with any checklist I know of but, not being a King Air guy and not being there, I hesitate to throw too many stones.

exstard
18th Feb 2007, 15:15
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OWuPmGPBW8o