PDA

View Full Version : British Airways - Crew Discussions

TightSlot
5th Feb 2007, 08:04
For those already employed by BA, not wannabees

apaddyinuk
17th Apr 2007, 18:56
So can anyone verify what actually happened in the Delhi hotel the night of the cancelled flight? Please dont mention the hotel name however.

TightSlot
17th Apr 2007, 19:31
Folks

Most of the posts on this thread (you can't see them because they have been deleted) have been in one way or another, advertising other forums for BA Cabin Crew to post on - with all due respect, this is pushing your luck rather more than is acceptable. We love you BA folk a lot here on PPRuNe, but not so much that we're prepared to lend webspace to advertising others!

WeLieInTheShadows
18th Apr 2007, 22:59
In my experience PPrune is the only forum that actually takes this line.

They advertise you andc openly allow discussion reguarding you and links, you do not recipricate.

Pprune is IMHO is established as one of the leading forums. The threat from others is minimal.

TightSlot
19th Apr 2007, 06:20
Pprune is IMHO is established as one of the leading forums. The threat from others is minimal

Agreed - However, try looking at it from another angle. PPRuNe is a service provided free to the end-user: It relies on the services of large group of people who give up their own time, again for free. Using that platform to promote (and I mean promote, not link to) the services of another site is frankly lacking in both courtesy and respect.

Either way, surely BA crew have more to discuss amongst themselves than the wickedness of Mods?

Bluejay
20th Apr 2007, 08:22
Hi all,
I am BA ground staff and I just wanted to say a HUGE thankyou to anyone that was operating the above flight (arrived yesterday). My Mum was onboard returning to the UK for compassionate reasons (the only one on staff travel) and was extremely impressed by the level of service that she got both on board and at YYC, so if you were operating or you know anyone that was then please pass on my thanks it really means alot. Also if anyone from YYC reads this then thanks to you guys as well.

All the best Bluejay :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

banewboi
20th Apr 2007, 18:45
Here at BA they love my tight slot, must have it confused with yours.

abject apologies, feeling cheeky!:}

keeperboy
23rd Apr 2007, 23:24
Anyone know why a flurry of cabin crew managers sent to BKK the other day and the BKK-SYD operating with a reduced compliment of 12 (and zone closures) due to 'a crew incident'?

boyoneder
3rd May 2007, 09:12
Hi, does anyone know if you apply to be short haul crew and are succesful..can you then swop after some time and become long haul??
Thanks

Off Stand
3rd May 2007, 11:22
Boyoneder,

Once you are on eurofleet, there will be a transfer list that you can put your name on from time to time that is for a move to worldwide. The order in which you move is done is in seniority.

boyoneder
3rd May 2007, 20:21
Thanks for that, so does that mean that only senoir cabin crew can do long haul, cos I couln't see any where on the website that they are recruiting for long haul..otherwise I would have just applied for that.
Either way I dont mind, so we will just have to see.
Many thanks for your help tho!
Regards

BA Boi
4th May 2007, 00:18
boyoneder,

no, not just senior cabin crew do longhaul flying. this is how it works:

if successful, you will be recruited onto the shorthaul fleet at LHR.

then, later on this year - around Oct/Nov - The Opportunities and Choice Framework will open again. this opens once every two years and it enables you to put your name on a transfer list to transfer to a different fleet (i.e. longhaul LHR; singlefleet LGW etc) and to bid for a change in contract type (i.e. to go from 100% full time to either 75% or 50% parttime).
usually, you have to have done 2 years with the company before you can put your name on any of these lists (however, last time round they scrapped this rule at the insistance of our union, BASSA, due to there being not enough crew with that level of seniority to fill the lists sufficiently. so it was open to all crew no matter how long you had been with the company).

then the lists are compiled into seniority order within grade. after that, you just have to wait for a phonecall/crewlink message offering you a transfer of parttime.

however, i warn you that you must expect to wait AT LEAST 2/3 years for a transfer to longhaul from shorthaul, and around 7/8 years for parttime.

QRCC2B
4th May 2007, 08:58
British Airways has, as I understand, several overseas bases for cabin crew. According to their website, Bahrain, Buenos Aires and New Delhi are a few of those. Are these all of them or do they have any further ones?

keeperboy
4th May 2007, 18:28
Errmm....

HKG base 3 or 4 per HKG flight and 2 on the PEK

SIN base 1 per flight LHR-SIN, SIN-SYD and LHR-PVG

NRT base 4 per flight LHR-NRT-LHR

CAI base 2 per flight LHR - CAI, LHR-AUH-MCT, LHR-KWI

BAH base, 2 per flight LHR -BAH-DOH, LHR-DXB.

BOM base, 3 or 4 on LHR-BOM and LHR-BLR

MAA base, 4 on LHR-MAA

DEL base, 3 on LHR-DEL.

DAC base, 2 on LHR-DAC and LHR-CCU.

MEX base, 4 on LHR-MEX.

GRU base, 2 or 3 on LHR-GRU-GIG

EZE base, 1 on LHR-GRU-EZE.

Think thats it, might be missing a couple!:rolleyes:

dudley1
11th May 2007, 11:02
"Anyone know why a flurry of cabin crew managers sent to BKK the other day and the BKK-SYD operating with a reduced compliment of 12 (and zone closures) due to 'a crew incident'?"

haven't heard a dickie bird about this..does anyone know?

Hotel Mode
11th May 2007, 11:43
haven't heard a dickie bird about this..does anyone know?

There was a brief flurry of info on other forums but it was stamped on fairly rapidly. Certainly not suitable for PPRUNE.

balboa
14th May 2007, 17:18
Hi,

I have an interview for CSD coming up for BA- can anyone out there shed some light on what they might be looking for at interview and any advice for how i might take it on? I believe there is a group discussion or task too- anyone have any experience of this?

vodkaholic
2nd Jun 2007, 19:31
Is T5 going to be solely for use by BA then? where abouts are they building it? (im not very lhr savvy lol!!)

Monkey Madness
2nd Jun 2007, 20:25
Sorry, I dont know what the runways are called... But it is at the end of the two runways

It's between the thresholds for runway's 09L (the north one) & 09R (the south one), over by the fuel farm :)

speedmarque
3rd Jun 2007, 09:11
All BA! Hurrah

vodkaholic
4th Jun 2007, 17:35
thanks AMS for the info!! sounds fantastic i agree for all you guys over at BA!

BA Boi
7th Jun 2007, 01:29
well, if you think about it logically, terminal 5 is going to be a huge improvement for customers over the current heathrow terminals 1, 3, and 4 the we operate from - so would you not think that terminal 5 would move in the same direction for staff? :confused:.

there have been numerous 'cabin crew news' (the weekly, internal cabin crew magazine-ette) special editions over the last few months that have focussed on the facilities to frontline staff at terminal 5.
the report centre will be fairley approximate in size to compass centre meridian and west points combined. there will also be shared facilities with our ground staff colleagues in other areas of the terminal (i.e. canteens and 'quiet lounges' etc) as well as there being cabin crew and flight crew only/specific areas within the crew report centre.
there are currently two huge floor plans of the crew report centre at terminal 5 at the compass centre at the minute.

overall, it will be better than compass centre but slightly smaller.

however, i will miss compass centre when we do eventually leave there. it really is a lovely space to call your 'office' - if only for 4/5 hours per month.

Matt101
7th Jun 2007, 23:09
Nice pics of the inside of the new CRC on Cabin Crew News - Compass is a lovely space and I miss it being in Jubilee House now (I always feel a bit like I am walking into someones house when I go to report there as it's so tiny but our French Bistro is far nicer than the canteen or bitch bridge cafe)

So far as Cabin Crew News points out it will only be BA - there isn't room for anyone else indeed the 757 and (correct me if this is wrong) Aussie BA flights will actually operate from Terminal 3 as T5 will be over capacity already.

BAA are reorganising LHR after it happens - I believe along with our 757 fleet all oneworld (except BA of course) moving to terminal 3 (after some extensive refurb). Star alliance will go to 1 and sky team and non affiliates in to T4. T2 to go altogether to be replaced by Heathrow East (T5 being at the westerley end) or an extension to be added eventually . And poss a T5 D in the future herein is a link I googles for ya http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static%20Files/Nov05HeathrowEastpresentation.pdf

Tells you all about BAA's plans and the regig of some 40 Airlines around the airport. I do hope they decide to throw an extra runway and some taxiways in there at somepoint to.

PS when they number runways - where do they get the number from - in return for my info please.

BA Boi
8th Jun 2007, 12:28
they get the number from the direction/angle in which the runway is facing when placed onto a 360 degree compass.

for example, the runways at heathrow are 09 and 27.
runway 09 is at an angle of 90 degrees from 0 degrees on a compass and the other end of the same runway is 270 degrees (always 180 degrees above the smaller numbered end of the same runway) from 0 degrees, hence the runways being named 09/27.

now, at heathrow, there are two runways which face the same direction/angle and have left (L) and right (R) after their numbers.
so, runway 09L begins at the terminal 5 end of the airfield facing towards central london on the north side of the airport; i.e. if you were standing inbetween the two runways facing towards london this one would be on your left. the opposite end of the same runway is 27R (facing windsor) - the left and right of each parallel pair of runways always swaps around when you face the other direction.

the other runway is 09R/27L - on the south side of the airfield, closest to terminal 4.

sixmilehighclub
13th Jun 2007, 10:33
T5 - Same crew car park you have now using GTS/MT to get you to the terminal.
Check in your bags alongside the pax - no cage this time.
All similar facitilies to the CCO now. You have briefing rooms with a check in facility/ computer inside each room. a lounge area, cafe, banking area and washrooms, etc.

For those asking about the BKK incident, I feel it best not to mention the details here.

However, I urge and reiterate all crew to take care of themselves whilst downroute in BKK. Do not take taxis or Tuk Tuks alone, if you can, have at least one male crew in your chosen transport. If there is a large group of you needing 2 taxis, again, split males between two cabs. Taxis from the hotel note the licence number.

Do not leave heavy tips anywhere. Stick to 10%. It may encourage locals to become dependent on higher earnings which may not be sustained. When money gets tighter, desperation kicks in then we get ripped off, or worse, mugged.

Do not advertise the hotel you are staying in whilst out in town, don't even tell passengers, pretend you've forgotten. Do not advertise your room number. If you have an envelope with your keycard, leave it behind. If you forget your room number, go to reception on your return to remind you.

If someone steps into the lift behind you and you're on your own late at night, either get out and take another lift, preferably with others, or stay in the lift and head back to the reception floor.

If when you check in you know you're going out that night, try to get on the same floor as someone else you know will be going out too.

The same goes for any destination. Treat it like its not safe, and you'll always keep yourself safe. It's only when we visit places so often, we feel safe and become complacent. Most perpetrators of crime do so because an opportunity has presented itself, someone has put themself at risk and made it easy for someone. These crimes are usually not planned.
Enjoy your downroute time, but keep enjoying it by staying safe! :ok:

flybywire
13th Jun 2007, 21:05
Very sensible advice, sixmile, well done!! :ok:

I want to stress the point of not disclosing your hotel name and details to anybody , passengers or people you meet overseas. This is also valid for domestic nightstops, I could tell a few stories of girls (and boys) being disturbed (and even worse) by angry passengers or passengers/local people with not very good intentions in the hotels where we were staying as crew. (Newcastle layover anyone?)
ALWAYS say you don't really know - at the end of the day when you go from country to country and sleep in different hotels every duty you do, it is understandable if you forget where you're going and where you're staying. Blame it on the jetset life!!!;)

flybywire
13th Jun 2007, 22:21
.... I don't remember, it must be the jetset life!!! ;)

I personally didn't like it at all (they kept giving us the same dirty old rooms and never repaired any faults!!). So I am not so sad that we've stopped them from LGW as I never really enjoyed staying there, although to be honest I used to spend as little time as possible in the hotel and can recall many good dinners out with my crew. If we had had a decent hotel I am sure I would have had much more fun (and less sore-throats due to the freezing cold in the room) and would probably miss it a lot!!

BA Boi
13th Jun 2007, 23:40
LGW isn't "... getting rid..." of the 737's.

SOME of the oldest 737's at LGW are being replaced with SOME of the older A319's from LHR.

the 737 will still be around for a good few years yet.

flybywire
15th Jun 2007, 12:40
I probably am one of the few who doesn't look forward to the airbus coming down to LGW. We're returning the leased 737-500s and -300s as it is not convenient anymore paying for the lease when they are so old and falling apart ;) the -400s will stay with us for a long time still as some are BA's property and some we're still paying the mortgage for (a few of them have "property of such and such bank" written on a plate inside the cockpit!!

I know our 737s are quite old but I have a hate for the Tuk Tuks (as my very first captain used to call them....bless his soul) I had way too many bad memories and incidents on them when flying for another carrier and am not looking forward to working on them again. We'll see if BA can keep them more serviceable!!! :}

Smell the Coffee
15th Jun 2007, 13:01
Far be it from me to start a childish argument regarding which is better, but having flown both the 737 and the Airbus, the latter wins hands down every time - wider aisles, more space in galleys, simple arming mechanism and generally more user-friendly.
Having said that, it also depends on the age of the aircraft...LHR have some very old Airbus a/c which are very possibly just as smelly and 'knackered' (if not more so) than any 737 down at LGW...fortunately there is a plan to dispose of them sooner rather than later, but there will be a few lurking around for a while yet; they are mainly confined to domestic runs.

MancRed
1st Jul 2007, 08:09
Hi all I have recently set up a google groups site especially for commuters MAN-LHR-MAN to arrange car share for cost saving or just company...anyway here is the link.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/ba-...mmuters/?hl=en (http://groups.google.co.uk/group/ba-man-commuters/?hl=en)

Cheers Jarvis

you can PM me for more info..

LHRKrew
5th Jul 2007, 21:57
AMS,

Yes,you're allowed to take DVD players & laptops etc on trips with you & many crew do.

You just have to put them through the X-Ray machine at the Compass & at the airport downroute prior to getting on the jet like a normal passenger.

LHRKrew:)

MancRed
5th Jul 2007, 23:58
I Have Read Lots Of Your Posts And Have Come To The Conculsion That Every Reply To Every Question Has Another Question Attached............do You Think One Day You Get A Reply And Thats Good Enough???????????
J

Off Stand
6th Jul 2007, 00:16
AMS-LHR,

In answer to your question, it entirely depends wheich country you are flying from. From the UK, you have the same restrictions as pax. So check with the airport manager of the airport you're flying from. But, to be honest, if you are checking in a bag for a night stop, may as well check it in both ways, less hassle that way.

I always take my laptop away with me, but don't make the same stupid mistake that I did and leave it on board, someone will have it in a flash!!!

Good luck on your course, my sis starts on the 16th.

jde
6th Jul 2007, 15:48
AMS, how on earth do you find the time to write SO many posts? don't think I've ever seen such a prolific poster here on pprune! :}

vodkaholic
6th Jul 2007, 18:15
You'll fit in perfectly in the airline industry then!! :)

emboogie
6th Jul 2007, 20:15
i just want to say that its peeps like Ams that make the forums less stagnet and keeps the forums alive:D keep the questions rolling x
ive learnt so much from the response of Ams questions and other peoples too! :):)

MancRed
6th Jul 2007, 22:04
You don't bore me quite from it...I am just amazed how many questions you can come up with....don't take it the wrong way keep it up your not just helping yourself but many others.:ok:
Jarvis

pinkprincess
8th Jul 2007, 18:34
Does anyone commute from MAN for LHR EF?

thanks

MancRed
8th Jul 2007, 18:44
Does anyone commute from MAN for LHR EF?

check youe PM's

flybywire
9th Jul 2007, 07:03
yes you can :ok: