PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Flying

balboa
4th Feb 2007, 15:42
:ok: Anyone out there done some flying from San Diego with any tips or places etc? Any stories welcome- oh and if anyone is out there from end of March and fancies a beer in SD give me a shout!!!!

the_daddy
4th Feb 2007, 17:14
Hey...

Was in San Diego last year and am heading back this summer to see all the bits I didn't get to see last time!

Obvious hot spots to go see are Vegas and Grand Canyon, but also how about Tucson,AZ to see the Aircraft graveyard?! Do the VFR corridor over San Diego Airport and if you head up North then do the same over LAX!

Palm Springs is nice too...

I'm planning a circular starting from San Diego, heading east to Tucson, then up to Phoenex and Vegas before heading NW to San Francisco and then back down to Diego. Cant wait!!!

Seagull61
4th Feb 2007, 17:47
PPL-ed there last year.

Am back in May. This time a circular from San Fran to Reno, then to Vegas (Grand Canyon), onto Mojave then San Diego. Then to LAX and back to San Fran.

Can `t wait as well, the flying is great.

littco
4th Feb 2007, 17:48
Places to go

Catalina Island, Santa Baraba, Las vegas, Big Near Mountian, Palm springs, Plenty of airports in LA, such as Hawthorne and even John Wayne ( if you're feeling brave) , Browne which is south of San diego and on the Mexico boarder, an old USAF base with a huge runway.. The list goes on..

balboa
4th Feb 2007, 20:28
Hey guys thanks for responses- much appreciated - was going to say- would love to do the seaplane rating- any of you heard somewhere in California that might do it???

cheers

balboa
4th Feb 2007, 21:07
Yeh thanks Socal- I forgot about the 'training' aspect. Does anyone know by the way, if you can organise the M1 visa whilst you are in the US, should you decide to do some training?

cheers

fly_sd
5th Feb 2007, 02:14
Anyone out there done some flying from San Diego

Yes, I do it all the time :) Actually that time of year is nice for flying - not too hot. It is still officially our "rainy" season but unless you are unlucky it won't last more than a day or two at a time.

slim_slag
5th Feb 2007, 08:50
Hey guys thanks for responses- much appreciated - was going to say- would love to do the seaplane rating- any of you heard somewhere in California that might do it???There are a few outfits that do this on the Colorado at Havasu. Sheble Aviation are one. Don't see why you would need a visa if you can get in on a tourist visa waiver. Others might.

keep em flying
5th Feb 2007, 12:51
I obtained an FAA PPL at Gillespie Field in 2003, i went back last year and hired a plane off the same school, Anglo American Aviation, great school, great location, great atmosphere around the place, i agree with the above, flying the San Diego corridor above Linbergh is something special, also i loved Palm Springs, i haven't ventured as far as the Grand Canyon yet but will do later in the year, i also want to go to Catalina and Big Bear, unfortunatly it won't be as early as March but i will be back!!!

slim_slag
5th Feb 2007, 13:40
flying the San Diego corridor above Linbergh is something specialAre you talking about the Class E VFR corridors? There is a better one....

Head for Mission Bay VOR and call Lindbergh tower and put a request in. Don't bother with SOCAL approach for this. They used to clear you to fly 1000ft above SAN midfield through the class B. Then SAN Tower would hand you off to Halsey tower and you'd fly south down San Diego bay, do a U turn just south of the bridge and fly back at 500ft above the channel (attempting not to line up to shoot an approach if they had an aircraft carrier in port). Then around Point Loma for a hand back to Lindbergh tower for a Class B transition just off the departure end of their runway at 500ft, just off the shoreline.

Haven't done that since 9/11, does any local know if it's still allowed?

keep em flying
5th Feb 2007, 13:44
I'm pretty sure you can't do that one now, i think it was called the "bay transition?"... Last year the only one available was the VFR corridor over the top of Lindbergh (at 3000ft i seem to remember).

Seagull61
5th Feb 2007, 15:37
I don`t want to kick off the whole "Visa" question. But can anyone clarify if its required for a aerobatics course. In total 10hrs and no rating at the end of it, just a bit of good fun...

..i presumed not, but would like to know for sure

nowacessnapilot
5th Feb 2007, 15:51
Agree with all of the "things to do" listed above (AND MORE !). DO IT !

Do you have a FAA pilot certificate ? If you have, shop around for the best place to rent and the cost, when you get there. The renter will require BFR ground training / check ride - local acqaint / BFR renewal, which DOES NOT need a visa.

I can recommend Anglo-American at Gillespie (El Cajon) [see UK pilot magazines for details] for owners with British acents, friendly faces, and old fashioned trust (I ran up an account of nearly 20 fg hrs before I was given a bill on my last day ! - I also rented one of their flats for a week - Thanks chaps).

balboa
5th Feb 2007, 17:54
ASES and PTS - can someone just kindly clear up these terms. Solcal- I know you've already answered my question to an extent but I already have a USA b2 visa stamp- to get an M1 would i really have to go all the way back to London for a second interview or could a school sort it out whilst i were there? I was just thinking that the MEP at Anglo American would be handy to get whilst I were there!

thanks y'all

fly_sd
5th Feb 2007, 18:37
ASES and PTS - can someone just kindly clear up these terms. Solcal- I know you've already answered my question to an extent but I already have a USA b2 visa stamp- to get an M1 would i really have to go all the way back to London for a second interview or could a school sort it out whilst i were there? I was just thinking that the MEP at Anglo American would be handy to get whilst I were there!

thanks y'all

In the US immigration system I believe the type of visa specifies what you can do. I guess the B2 is a business visitors visa ?? My guess is that you would need a separate training visa. Now if you visit and also plan to also train at the same..that's an interesting one. Not sure of the answer.

There are a number of immigration related websites and forums on the net that may be a better place to ask visa related questions. If you are an AOPA member they may also be able to provide some info.

Gav28
27th Apr 2008, 16:59
Hi,

I am going to be over in San Diego on holiday this summer and was hoping to do some flying. I was wondering if anyone had done any flying there recently and would have any recommendations for good schools to rent an aircraft from.

Also, I have read through a few other threads regarding the process of converting JAA license to FAA. However given that many of the posts were written some time ago I was wondering if anyone who had been over to the states recently with a JAA license could just clarify if anything has changed regarding the process and could give me a rough idea of the potential time scales involved.

Thanks very much.

fly_sd
27th Apr 2008, 17:24
You can try my club - Plusone - (www.plusone.org). Normally you do need to be a member ($30/month I believe) but I've heard of people getting membership for 1-2 months and then cancelling when they leave. There is definitley someone from England who comes here and does that from time to time.

I can inquire if you are interested.

There are also a number of other clubs and schools in the area

Gav28
27th Apr 2008, 18:29
Thanks for the info, would definitely be interested. I have sent you a PM.

nouseforaname
27th Apr 2008, 18:52
I was out there in 2004, flew from a place called French Valley which is about an hour north (in a car) from San Diego. Nearest place was Montgomery field to where I was staying just North of San Diego, Go to Del Mar there, its cool place great bars, beach.

Flying got to go into Santa Monica, you come in by the big Hollywood sign on the westerly runway. Great view of downtown LA.

If you can fly up to Santa Barbera that's cool aswell, great restaurant on the airfield there called the Elephant Bar. Im jealous want to go back!