PDA

View Full Version : Freelance; how does it work?

The Brown Bottle
4th Feb 2007, 15:38
Hi folks, can anyone give me info on freelance flying? I tried google but seem to find only references to some computer game.
I am currently in the military and have a Global Express type rating which I may like to take advantage of when I leave soon. What companies do you enrol with and how does it work, do you declare you are available given days of the month and they pay you wether you are required or not (wishful thinking I suspect)? All info gratefully received.

global707
5th Feb 2007, 00:42
Assuming you have your licence and medical up to date, then start with an outfit by the name of ACASS out of Montreal. They specialize in Bombardier aircraft and may find you the odd sortie or two
:8

galaxy flyer
5th Feb 2007, 01:31
I can vouch for ACASS providing freelance work if you are GLEX current. But, some of the jobs maybe, shall we say, in questionable areas of the globe. They have a large number of pilots and lots of jobs, so an infrequent "no" is not a problem, either.

GF

BizJetJock
6th Feb 2007, 13:42
Personally, I have always found agencies to be a bit of a waste of time. Mainly because operators only usually go to an agency if they are desperate, and that is usually because they can't get anyone to work in that location/ for that money/ etc.
My experience was that after having suddenly become freelance, within about three months I was turning work away with operators calling me directly to find out if I was available. I also found that replies like "No, I'm not available because I'm going sailing/skiing/promised to take Mrs to theatre" don't stop them calling.
The result was that when most of these operators tried to offer me a full time job I turned them down, since who'd want to go back to being at their beck and call?

nobspilot
17th Feb 2007, 17:44
stay away from ACASS!!! they are nothing but trouble!!!