PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a plan...

bigfoot01
4th Feb 2007, 08:17
Again, I am afraid, I am seeking throughts from people. I have passed my PPL. I am keen to continue training (although not as intensively as I have done for my PPL). I am doing some fun flying, personal cross country and taking friends/family up. I am also trying to squeeze in my night rating before official night time meets the official closing time ; - ) and I am getting checked out on different aeroplanes and flying them (including a DA-40 - Sheffield City Flying school have lowered the hire rate to the same as a PA28! :) )

Here's the bit I would like advice on, I have a sense over a period of time I would like to do my IMC and maybe even my Commercial Pilots Licence. I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how to sequence this, any key milestones to aim for. Would I be alright doing a few hours training each month etc. etc. I think I would really like to develop some kind of written plan, so I can see my progress.

Since passing my PPL, I have done a bit of reading, including the Killing Zone (a book about the accidents that happen between 100hrs and 300hrs - the zone!) One of the conclusions was that people that went on quite quickly to do IMC often become better pilots and are less prone to the zone. I am also concious, although I can get up, get down and fly about I have a lot of work to do to develop my skills and that flying from time to time with an instructor is unlikely to do me any harm at all.

As always - appreciate any thoughts.

flyingfemme
4th Feb 2007, 09:48
Sounds like you already have it figured - a written plan is always good. Maybe just a tick-list of things you want to accomplish. Flying with an instructor regularly is also good - all pro pilots have to do recurrency training just make sure you have an aim for each session rather than flying circles and repeating things. Instrument flying will improve your skills no end, go for it. Aerobatics will do the same and you might even enjoy it. Apart from that it is up to you and what you enjoy - upside down, stripping (tailwheel), touring.......

littco
4th Feb 2007, 15:25
Hiya, I think you are thinking along the right lines with the IMC, it would definatley be benefical for you to do it, but remember the IMC is there to help you get out of trouble should you fly into cloud and not really designed to be used to purposly fly into cloud. It's really there to help you should be be faced with a situation you'd rather not be in! As for the CPL that's more based towards VFR flying again, and it makes you a better pilot by making you fly more acturately and with consideration for you passengers. In the USA they encourage their PPL students to get the IR as a matter of course as they work on the basis as you correctly mention that most accidents happen within the 150-300 hour mark and the majority are weather related. Will definatly benefit from doing the IMC, not only on a safety basis but also when you come to do the CPL, should you decide on it you will have a much better ability will benefit when it comes to the training.

Bandit650
4th Feb 2007, 18:40
I'n not so sure the IMC is an obvious next step actually. I did one 5 years ago and passed it wih minumim hours but you're just left with an even bigger quandry on your hands...i.e. ok, I now have a PPL and an IMC ... now what? but this time you have more "must do" pressure..i.e keeping the PPL current AND the IMC. Make no mistake, the IMC needs a much higher degree of currency. Couple that, with the official vew of the IMC in that "its designed to help you get out out trouble safely, no more" and you're left with a more expensive set of papers to keep valid, and a confused feeling of "how safe is it to fly in IMC as PIC?".

I flew regularly after doing the IMC, and still found myself avoiding IMC conditions. So I would dispute the view "it improves your flying no-end"...thats what you hear from flying schools with their fingers hovering over the till as you part with another serious wad of cash.

IMC flying is challenging..and you do get a great sense of achievement, and it gives you a minimal level of ability to fly in IMC. But lets face it, how often are you plan and fly a trip, out of sight of surface, with ILS approaches etc in a single? Think about it carefully...and unless you fully intend to fly in IMC on a regular basis, don't bother with it and spend your money on doing longer more challenging flights.

Being able to fly on instruments and do instrument approaches doesn't feed that much into your normal flying...in fact I found myself concentrating on instrument precision during VFR - when your head should be out of the office. That coupled with a temptation to seek out and fly in poor conditions just because you have an IMC, can lead to a warped go/nogo judgement.

IMHO, I would concentrate on building your hours and fulfilling the requirements to start a CPL.