View Full Version : What do pilots do that 'irk' you?

ConwayB
4th Feb 2007, 00:07
Hi guys and girls,

I have posted three threads along the same lines as this on three forums with the intention of collating the answers and using them as lessons in my CRM courses.

The question is: What is it that pilots do that 'irk' you?

I am sure one of your greatest bugbears is the unserviceability/endorsement on the maintenance release that does not provide enough information for you to chase down the problem.

For example: "Strange noise heard in cockpit."

"What noise? What stage of flight? Whereabouts in the cockpit did you hear it? What did it sound like? Did you hear it over the ICS or through your headphones? A LITTLE MORE INFORMATION PLEASE!

I'm sure there's a lot of instances where a pilot's actions (or inactions) have caused problems - like not reporting overspeeds, or operating the aircraft incorrectly, etc, etc.

Please feel free to vent your spleen. The other forums are in the ATC and D and G Reporting Points and Rotorheads forums under similar titles.

Cheers
ConwayB

Mr.Brown
4th Feb 2007, 09:53
-Using "Emergency" torch's to do their walk arounds. As far as I'm aware walk arounds do not constitute an emergency.:D
-Entering in the tech log, that a coat hangar is missing from the flight deck!:ugh:
-Not cleaning up after themselves.:=
-Being incapable of adding up flight times correctly (there is only 60mins in an hour).:rolleyes:
- Entering into the tech log on arrival, "unable to do correct preflight as wheel well too dirty" and yet signing the preflight anyway.:ok:

yachtno1
4th Feb 2007, 10:41
Stealing the batteries for the ANR headsets and the wipes for their computers at home !:E

TURIN
4th Feb 2007, 18:02
Hd a similar thing happen to me. I too stopped mid sentance. Got up and walked off the flight deck. It's not just bloody rude it's damn dangerous.

Any way what irks me the most is when after they have called me "Eng" they get all upset when I call them "Piles". :E

Mr.Brown
4th Feb 2007, 18:41
I hate when I have to write "ADD already refers" or "already entered in damage charts".
You think pilots could actually read the ADD's first or look at the damage charts before leaving an open entry.

Fargoo
4th Feb 2007, 19:27
Majority of our flight crew are excellent but there are the odd ones who like to keep things short (saves ink from the freebie hotel pen).

Don't need to write War and Peace but a what, where , when does. Mostly it's the ones who just write the what that bug me a little. Helps enormously if we know where in the flight it happened (climb,cruise,descent etc..) and / or when it happened.

Lastly the ones who nab the choccy biccies and leave nowt but an empty wrapper on the flight decks for us engs' - very inconsiderate :)

Toolman101
4th Feb 2007, 23:25
Most pilots are OK,it's the one who look down on you and think you are one step up from the sewer that give me the hump. Last I heard we where all human.

Ladytech
5th Feb 2007, 15:03
I love the guys that call you out on a system not working
that is not even turned ON, or the ones that write up a system
as faulty because they don't know how to do a proper test!
Only in America!

Golden Rivet
5th Feb 2007, 15:33
Anyone who walks past you without even an acknowledgment, oh, and of course, any Australian pilots http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/taunt001.gif

PhilM
5th Feb 2007, 19:46
"Are you catering?" :mad:

Chopper Doc Junior
5th Feb 2007, 19:54
Should the title not read apart from breathing?

vs69
6th Feb 2007, 16:16
Philm , classic comment! The standard reply I guess would be 'No im in charge of de-catering.....'

sevenforeseven
6th Feb 2007, 16:46
vs69, not a mate of that spannersatvs are we?:ugh:

GuppyEng.com
6th Feb 2007, 17:01
if something is cleared in the tech log it has been fixed!
a captain said he did not want to take the a/c just in case? I advised him to call dispatch and operations that HE was cancelling the flight. That got his attention!

SpannersatVS
6th Feb 2007, 19:50
Hey sevenforeseven, long time no hear (guess you didn't get the MAN job then, another funny handshake:ugh: ).

Got to say in defence of the pilot, i'd rather check out ANY of the hosties at VS than talk to the engineer:ok:

pigs
7th Feb 2007, 05:41
I know one thing that REALLY winds them up. Telling them to get out of the seat so that you can do engine runs, especially when they have an adoring audience of crew!!

vs69
7th Feb 2007, 07:00
No im not a mate of spannersatvs (though i dont know his/her true identity) but i could be closer to you than you think, if i have interpreted previous posts/id's correctly.....cryptic enough?

big geordie
7th Feb 2007, 09:12
Pilots who call you out to snags that don`t even exist and their superior indifference to you, when my knowledge an qualifications are far superior to his. some pilots ,not all but a minority think they have to create work for engineers like we have nothing else to do:ugh:.Because they think it`s funny to use a vital resource like us to their own ends.

Jusdoit
7th Feb 2007, 13:56
Generaly, I feel that most pilots are decent, caring human beings. Like other professions, you run into a few that tarnish the reputations of everyone in that field.

I look for qualities that include that pilots take their job very seriously, as I do mine. The flip side to that is that there are those few who take themselves very seriously, and they are just a PITA to deal with. One G550 pilot I know only calls when he can't fix the problem, and by then I have to go and undo what he did and then resolve the issue. Obviously, he doesn't take his job too seriously otherwise he'd know that, in his position, he's limited to light preventive maintenance issues. Kind'a scary to sign the tech log because I don't know about anything else he might have done.

There is a difference between the professional pilot and the prima dona pilot. If you have worked long enough in aviation, you will know that.

Cheers.

TURIN
8th Feb 2007, 11:26
Big geordie you have it the wrong way around.

I want them to call me out for every tiny little defect. EVERY THING!

Keeps me fully employed.

The ones who leave little bits of paper tieD to the control column with snags that are "need to know for the pilots but not need to know for engineers" get a big fat CHIRP/MOR report.

IF IT'S BROKE, SNAG IT.:ok:

big geordie
8th Feb 2007, 18:13
Turin it`s not being called out I mind it`s the attitude of some of them that really goes against the grain. I love my job and love working on a/c it`s the spurious faults that I object to:ugh: However not all are like that in fact it`s a small minority .But the small minority tarnish the reputation of all flight crew:=

allthatglitters
9th Feb 2007, 05:45
The one who writes in “Nil” as the first entry then writes “For Info” as the second entry.
"I only wrote 3 items as the page is full", what’s wrong with PTO.
The one, who writes nothing in the book, then tells you that the APU shut down on all sectors during engine start.
The one who tells you it's a fine aircraft, nothing wrong and the Cabin log has pages and pages of items to attend to.
The one who demands you to be there when they arrive, so they can sneak off and leave you monitoring the APU and the cleaners.
The one, who calls for an engineer, doesn’t specify what the problem is, you go to the aircraft, and then you have to return to the office for the follow up action from the AMM/TSM etc.
The one, who calls for an engineer, then doesn’t specify what the problem is so the wrong guy turns up and have to call for the other trades.
Pre departure, the captain, panic call need an engineer, passengers are sat waiting to go, arrive to be told, “she's got a problem”, speak to the purser, “I've put something in the cabin log” and a delay follows.
I don't care, it's not a problem, that's what we are here for, and it all goes on the bill, and its job security.

Dr Illitout
9th Feb 2007, 08:56
I have to agree with all of the above!!! Mind you I don't mind being called "Eng" (Been called worse, by better)
The un written snag is one of my pet hates. One of the airlines I deal with are particularly bad at that. They usualy tell the passenger staff. So I get:
"The pilot says some thing about the.... what was it now?..ohhh... the something valve on the engine light went on....or was it off? But he didn't put it in the book"
So I smile and say I'll deal with it, go into the cockpit look for a big red flashing light or a EICAS message saying "Land NOW" If there is nothing amiss I forget about It!
Funnily enough that airlines crews like leaving the radar switched on too.

Rgds Dr I

P.S. I agree with TURIN write eveything down, it keeps me in a job!

big geordie
9th Feb 2007, 13:15
I also agree with turin write everything down that is real and isn`t just job creation

Beaver man
9th Feb 2007, 17:14
Finding that he has decked the a/c with a mind-boggoling greenie snag (for which there is no cover!!) and then he tells you that it only happened on the first sector and the last three/four sectors it has been fine!!!

Clipped
9th Feb 2007, 22:53
When you get on the flight deck and there is a significant snag well written up, plenty of detail with a FRM code but he hasn't bothered radioing in so that you could get a head start on the problem.

The one's who snarl and bark because when they've called you pre departure with a defect, you immediately reach for the MEL. Isn't it the intent of the MEL?

The one who snags #1 brake and #4 wheel on arrival. Have you no idea of the turnaround time? Couldn't the maintenance guy at the last station have made a call.

The crew that have pissed off the aircraft without having even making a nil entry in the logbook, not even attempted to begin a coupon. You increase the brightness on EICAS and there is a message or two there.

When at the end of a twelve hour nightshift, been at it all night and the crew departing the first flight of the day start complaining no maintenance is ever being done at night because the defect they wrote up yesterday is still deferred today.

The ones who expect an immediate answer to a defect? Do you know how many aircraft/engine types, the myriad systems we are expected to have a 'reasonable' general knowledge of. If I need to leave the flight deck to access some literature it's because I'm trying to give you an accurate response. Otherwise if you prefer bull****, I have no end of crap I can digress.

Crew, tech n cab, who expect every part that makes up an airliner is available at every station, so it can be replaced by you at their convenience.

Etc etc etc ..... BUT generally speaking, most crew a very reasonable people, especially these days because they're more affected by the ridiculous constraints put on all of us by our management.

C.

JetMech
9th Feb 2007, 23:28
I generally find that the vast majority of flight crew I deal with from my own company and third party operators are very reasonable people. Granted, I'm a mechanic only and as such, I'm not really subjected to the "pointy" end of maintenance so to speak.

I guess that one thing that usually irks the engineers are pilots that write up defects to do with personal comfort. One particular Captain snagged the adjustable sidestick controller armrest on an Airbus as the number and letter representing his preferred armrest setting was not the same for this particular aircraft. The oncoming crew had a good laugh as apparently, the number and letter representing your preferred armrest setting is different for all aircraft.

The one thing I do notice is that the Captain and FO are generally the ones that treat engineers with the most respect. It is usually the second officers who think they are god's gift to aviation, and are the ones that usually look down upon engineers, treat us as if we don't exist and have the "you serve me" mentality. Cabin crew can be very bossy as well.

Regards, JetMech

allthatglitters
10th Feb 2007, 01:53
The aircraft arrives on stand, not leaving till the following morning, as the noise of the engines subside, the whine of the brake fans begin.

Piper19
10th Feb 2007, 08:34
quote: "I hate the ones that write "for info" before some crippler of a snag and expect you to sign it off because they've only written it "for info"."

Our MOE states that we don't have to take action if the pilots entry starts with "for info". Just a nice "thanks" can be good for maintenance action.

Mr.Brown
10th Feb 2007, 13:44
Piper 19, surely it depends on what is for info. Is it not up to the engineer in attendence to determine the entry and not a general statement in the MOE?
For example: "For info: APU failed to start but ok on second attempt, further attempts all ok"(Info noted please report further if required) or "For info: Bleed trip off light illuminated on the top of decent, reset and no further reoccurance"(Would you really write info noted?) or "For info: On taxi in N2, indications show split of 8%"(Some maintenance action required I think)
Although some pilots have good technical knowledge I wouldn't trust the technical knowledge of all pilots based on the words "FOR INFO".
The words "FOR INFO" mean nothing to me, its whats written after that I'm concerned with.:E

Malcom
11th Feb 2007, 09:35
Pilots who snag a righthand engine, but your fault finding mysteriously leads you to the left one, eventually.

Pilots who have never heard of propwash, especially those who find themselves starting up just outside the hanger doors - the open ones.

Pilots who have been to that special adding up school where an hours flying can gain or loose anything up to 9000 hours in the log.

Pilots who dont notice that adding error for 2 weeks and just continue the error accumulation,

Pilots who fly with a known unreported defect all week, and then casually report it: (select one or more)
- on a Friday,
- at going home time,
- let you know its been like it all week, and
- MUST have it fixed for first thing tomorrow,
:ugh:

Feel better now
M

nitro rig driver
11th Feb 2007, 09:37
Pilot,Pen,Paper.......never a good mix ;)

allthatglitters
11th Feb 2007, 09:42
The aircraft is late on stand, already past departure time, the new crew arrive and push past the departing passengers on the way and into the flight deck and start talking with the arriving crew. Some time later the arriving crew leave and the new crew's sat comfortably. You try to find out what's in the logs, but they have decided to take a long look at them, a sugestion that maybe someone would like to go for a walk around the the aircraft falls on deaf ears. Eventually the books are passed over and :oh:

Ladytech
11th Feb 2007, 20:10
I don't mind the guys that are too good to talk to me and explain what they need. I just casually remind them I'm the last person they want to tic off,
or I can really ruin their day!!! Be nice or you'll find out just how LONG this CAN take to troubleshoot!

tommytill
13th Feb 2007, 08:41
When they Cat-5 the ****ter.
Man I hate that.:uhoh:

whiskeyflyer
13th Feb 2007, 09:54
1) when a snag starts appearing across a fleet (once the crew have talk to each other, during all their time off)
e.g. trim on one aircraft XXXX had a defects, next minute you know the week after on other aircraft YYYYY, ZZZZ you get defects like "trim feels strange, please test etc",
2) snagging a button when you know they have used excessive force on the FMC, GPS etc but don't admit it
3) pilots who have left/furlonged/made redunant/fired from major carries, join a regional outfit and still think they flying a major (defects such as crack on light cover..... yep its an interior cover and the crack is just visible behind the fastener and maybe in your previous airline while you where boarded and notice the crack, the taxpayer went off an bought you another cover at an inflated price from Boeing. But wait stupid expenses like that resulted in layoffs). Applies to cabin staff too with comments such as "When I flew for {insert national carrier name} we had expresso makers" well hold on while I get my credit card out and buy you one to fit (no need to worry about certification problems etc :E )
4) First officers just after they made Captain, every noise and creak freaks them out.

Mr.Brown
13th Feb 2007, 10:11
Whiskeyflyer your point in item one is spot on, we have them all the time.
We call them contagious defects!

whiskeyflyer
13th Feb 2007, 10:46
having read everybody else problems, its the same all over the world.

The standarisation of crew training must be working, Must be a special module on defects :E

old,not bold
13th Feb 2007, 17:42
Engineers could get their own back, in the days of pistons, anyway...

Pilot's only words in Tech Log, before quitting work for the slip hotel: "No 3 Missing."

P****d-off liney's entry: "Carried out search and found No 3 attached in the normal place."

The old ones are the best.

Rigga
18th Feb 2007, 15:55
All the ones that want it done right - but can't wait for it to be done!

aintsaying
20th Feb 2007, 02:39
ConwayB,

1) Snags that have been going on for days without being reported to maintenance, just been verbally discussed amongst flightcrew.

2) Second officers sneaking copper wire so they can activate systems, then re safety the switch and not report system activation.

3) pulling circuit breakers so they can bypass useless/annoying systems, such as overspeed warning (clackers).

4) urinating in the main deck area and blaming it on the loaders at the last station (freighter configs).

5) Being spoken down to as if I got my licences and ratings from my breakfast ceral box. I'd love to work on one type day after day, but thats not how licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineers work.

Aviation is A TEAM SPORT.

easyduzzit
22nd Feb 2007, 05:10
One has to admit, that ops crew have improved vastly since the days of the premadonnas who thought they were; and were treated as; Royalty, by some Airlines!

Also I think, largely due to the fact that so many "young chaps" are now being placed in command of aircraft(not that I'm in full support of this) additionally contributes to them, generally being more polite & respectfull.

I tend to get along amicably with most of my customer crews from all corners of the earth, including my host company, However....

the single most unacceptable occurance is:

-failure to greet once greeted
-or failure to acknowledge an obviously qualified person who is patiently waiting for flyer boys to collect their toys & finish off their conversations, in the flight deck, whilst as previously mentioned, the fresh crew are waiting in the galley area!
No points for figuring out that just maybe this aircraft is intended to leave in the next 60 minutes, and has just completed 4 sectors down line!!!

A simple courteous good morning, are you engineering; or how are ya doing, works wonders for most people!

I also do not speak to the back of any captains head, nor do I relay through any FO, for any airline or pilot.
If a premadonna shrugs me off in any way... we dont speak again, until he physically approaches me & apologises, regardless of the state of the aircraft or proximity to departure time. And my report will reflect this lack of professionalism.

There are still a few of the fresh command boys who fail to realise that a lot of engineers were certifying aircraft, long before they reached puberty & respect is in order, where the engineers behaviour displays such.

some of us carry licenses for as much as 10 aircraft types & 10 again different power plants.

Its all about professionalism & consideration! both ways

ericferret
5th Mar 2007, 14:04
Having suffered a large number of defects on last flights of the day
( none of which could be sustantiated) all of which required airtests as part of the fault finding procedure, a large chalk board appeared in our crewroom which was also the transit point for the pilots.

Headed with "TODAYS DUTY SNAG"

During this period I remember "divergent yaw" entered by one pilot
on a brand new 700 page.
The line segeant said not a word. He just removed the page ripped it into several pieces dropped it in the bin and put in a nice new page.

Happy days.

Nil further
5th Mar 2007, 18:36
Its worth noting Ladies and Gents that there are believe it or not some Engineers around who are not as fastidious as the good folk posting here.

There could be created an equally long list of Pilots things they dont like that engineers do !

Have to say that the boys at SRT who look after the orange fleet are excellent !.

See i have learnt something .

Kiwiconehead
6th Mar 2007, 10:36
Inbound defect notification is the biggest annoyance for me, sick of "we'd like to see an E&I engineer on arrival" - I just stand in front of the aircraft and wave now if they call up saying that - they can see me from there.

What is so hard about reading out what you've written in the log over the wireless. 30 min transit, 5min waiting for the punters to dawdle off, get on, find out defect is a no go or a Cat A MEL which can't depart if you have parts, 5min back to office to see if we have parts, back to aircraft, boarding time already and delay ensues.

New captains are fun, if you get a few go thru together, one will always be Captain Writey and one will be a good bloke who cops emergencies like they are going out of fashion.

jettison valve
6th Mar 2007, 18:54
Fantastic thread! I really enjoy it! :ok:

My contribution:

1)
My colleagues had been bothered already for weeks by a captain who constantly questioned the FCOM advice not to fully retract the slats after landing in high ambient temperatures.
One day, they relayed him to me on the phone (as if I knew better than them...!? :confused: ). Pilot was already aware about the background as given in the FCOM, told me that my colleagues had explained the issue to the best of their knowledge. blablablah.:*
I didn´t need to say much myself, he kept apologising for his call (?!). Especially when I kind of barked at him after minutes of useless talk: "Do you want me to request a thermal analysis from Airbus for the front spar area????".:mad:

2)
Accompanied a friend of mine in "civil" clothing at SHJ - but with company badge and airport permit properly displayed -, chatting on entering the cockpit.
Captain, adressing my friend, pointing at me with his finger: "Who´s this?" - "Ah, excuse me! You can talk to me DIRECTLY!" :confused:

3)
A340 flight crews taking off with all four bleeds "off" - but packs "on". Great idea! :mad: :ugh:

4)
A340 flight crews insisting on tech delay, when they themselves ask for MLI crosscheck of degraded (not failed!) fuel quantity indication. And verbally complaining about "fuel hiding", various "anomalies" without useful details.

But: In general, I think we get along quite well... :)

Cheers,
J.V.

On-MarkBob
9th Mar 2007, 23:32
Nice thread you guys. As licensed engineer and pilot (now Capt B767), I'd like to think that I treat as I had wished to be treated when I was engineering. But I still get pissed off with exactly the sort of stuff you write about here. I was once told by the chief pilot of Airtours not to mention to the others (pilots) that I was an engineer! "Whyever not" I exclaimed, "I'm dam proud of being an engineer, and I'm only doing this 'cause the money's better"!!

Let us not forget though that I.A.W the ANO 'the tech log can also be used as a means of communication between crews', so entries don't necessarily have to be a defect. I will sometimes put "Advise" for example when 3 wheel covers are coming up on life at the same time, knowing we only have one at the base. I'd like to hope it just give enginering the 'heads-up'. Putting 'For Info' should be the same and might just mean "We had a funny problem, but it isn't there now, it might occur again, has anyone else reported anything similar?" Just to give you guys something to look out for as your experience might tip you off to the fact that you had a similar defect that started the same way. It's the 'For Infos that actually record a defect that piss me off, ie. 'For Info: stb. nav light U/S'

My particular dislike is when the engineer tells them how long it's going to be to fix and then they get a slot in about half the time hoping by some miracle it will be alright any minute.

And, when they start loading the passengers without consulting the engineers who might be working in the cabin.

Generally, I find all the engineers to be top guys, down to earth and very patient. I have to admit I have sometimes used three pages to discribe a defect, after all I don't pay for the paper so why not use the stuff and give as much info as possible.

ericferret
10th Mar 2007, 11:00
They earn more money than me for less hours work.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They usually smell better than I do at the end of a working day!!!!!!!!!!!
(Take that back the person who said at the begining as well)
They fair far better in the chasing women stakes!!!!!!!!!!!
They retire earlier on better pensions
When the machinery goes tits in a snow storm they retire to the bar to await my call.

They don't just irk me I hate them!!!!!!!!!! Argh

funcsatis
10th Mar 2007, 12:28
a few pointers i would like to ad to this discussion

(1) when the flight deck use there own headsets and do not replace the the others back

(2) when we are expected to find there lost items like glasses,laptops,pens and ask them to be put back in there pigeon holes-like im there skivy

(3) missing 10 tech log pages for 1st sector of the day then going back 5 for 2nd sector

(4) moaning about the fuel total no correct down 200 kgs :mad:

(5) not realising that the aircraft is mine UNTIL i sign the tech log so i can do anything i want, sit anywhere i want, until i want

(6) and 1 last thing moaning there work space is dirty :mad: it,s there crap there finger prints on the screens there food in the ctr consol

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
other than that having a good day at work today

Fat Reggie
10th Mar 2007, 14:46
They can't take a decent cockpit fart.

Lasham Geezer
10th Mar 2007, 22:10
The only Biological Interfaces we see are coming to pickup or drop off Aircraft for major maintenance. The sight of lots of Aircraft with there draws off and in two million bits seems to concentrate their minds, and for once you get their undivided attention when you talk to them.:)

Blacksheep
12th Mar 2007, 08:25
I was just irked! :mad:

Off to staff travel.

Passed Captain Plonker on the way - standing outside the Training Centre shouting into a mobile phone to impress a group of trainee cabin crew.

Take my number disc and join the queue. Two ahead of me - fifteen to twenty minutes at most. Not too bad.

There's another pilot at personnel filling out forms. In comes Capt. Plonker still wah-wahing on the mobile. Pilot-pal says, "Here's your number mate" and hands him a disc as arranged earlier...
["Get me a number when you get there old chap!" "No problem" "Great!"]

First in the queue naturally.

Takes his mass of complex family ID90 routing requests to the counter and blocks the system for forty minutes, holding up the whole process while taking calls on the mobile every five minutes. :ugh:

He could have done what everyone else does when making complicated multiple bookings - drop them off early in the morning and pick them up later. But not Capt. Plonker... Oh no! His brain was replaced by an ego at the flying school...

We've all had the misfortune to run into Capt. Plonker haven't we? A complete Plonker both on and off the flight deck. :hmm:

Flintstone
12th Mar 2007, 09:32
Funnily enough that airlines crews like leaving the radar switched on too.

We do that to sterilise the engineers as we taxi in. Stops the buggers breeding.;)

What annoys me? Engineers who sit in MY seat for engine runs or similar and don't don't re-adjust it to MY position!! Don't these people know who I am?:rolleyes:

What also annoys me. Well, actually it amuses me because I used to do it when I was a hangar rat. What amuses me are the engineers who leave a couple of screw, nuts and washers in the cup holders or on the console to make the pilots wonder what wasn't put back properly. That keeps me wondering for hours on a long sector:eek:

Mr.Brown
12th Mar 2007, 12:15
QUOTE:[Flintstone] "What annoys me? Engineers who sit in MY seat for engine runs or similar and don't don't re-adjust it to MY position!! Don't these people know who I am?"

Just because you sit on your ass in that seat pretending to be Mr important responsible for all those lives behind you (Only one aircraft full) doesn't mean its your seat, and until I'm satisfied its a servicable machine its mine!!!:E and if your nice I'll let you have it to take for a spin. And the same goes for all you freinds who want to fly the rest of the fleet.:}

mmrassi
12th Mar 2007, 14:35
Hi , posting from Iran.Here we also have the old story of difficulties between Maintenance personel and Flight crew . I received an email one year ago that looks like interesting and somehow relates to this topic here it is :

After every flight, Qantas pilots fill out a form, called a "gripe
sheet,"
which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics
correct the problems, document their repairs on the form, and then
pilots
review the gripe sheets before the next flight. Never let it be said
that
ground crews lack a sense of humor. Here are some actual maintenance
complaints submitted by Qantas' pilots (marked with a P) and the
solutions
recorded (marked with an S) by maintenance engineers. By the way,
Qantas is
the only major airline that has never had an accident.

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on backorder.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute
descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what they're for.

P: IFF inoperative.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.

S: Cat installed.

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget
pounding on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from midget

Here pilots belive that they know so much and maintenance staff belive the pilots know nothing .... have to think and write you some stories .

Blacksheep
13th Mar 2007, 00:56
Oh Lord preserve us, not the Tech Log funnies again! :rolleyes:

allthatglitters
13th Mar 2007, 02:54
By the way,
Qantas is
the only major airline that has never had an accident.

I am not sure you correct in that small statment, I seem to remember a little incident at Don Mueang International Airport some years ago and putting a B747 in a bunker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_1

This is not the correct heading for funnies or miss quotes.

easyduzzit
13th Mar 2007, 13:09
On-Markbob:
It's great to know the pilot world does include some worldly people, who are actually of sufficient experience to assume the task of Captain of the Ship! Nice.

flintstone:
I like your sense of humour, mate!
One could " feel" all the cages of engineers, around the world, being rattled.
it only upsets the intimidated ones.
sure that was your intention?

as mentioned before, mutual respect will produce a far more pleasant & safe environment for all, in particular as far as the "only 2" responsible parties, are concerned.

jazz-sparky
13th Mar 2007, 21:50
Well, just one thing:

When a crew write down in logbook: "Autopilot u/s"...
Is it that hard to be a little bit more specific: we don't have access to a time travel machine to check out the cockpit in flight! I need info...

But, eh, let be honest: there's good and bad individuals in all trades! Pilots, Grease monkeys, sparkys: we are trying our best to keep these machines flying!

Cheers!

Flintstone
14th Mar 2007, 06:39
Just because you sit on your ass in that seat pretending to be Mr important responsible for all those lives behind you (Only one aircraft full) doesn't mean its your seat, and until I'm satisfied its a servicable machine its mine!!! and if your nice I'll let you have it to take for a spin. And the same goes for all you freinds who want to fly the rest of the fleet.

Righto sir terribly sorry sir won't happen again sir I promise. May I go flying now please sir?:(

flintstone:
I like your sense of humour, mate!
One could " feel" all the cages of engineers, around the world, being rattled.
it only upsets the intimidated ones.
sure that was your intention?

Of COURSE it was my intention Me? Offend engineers? Never!!
(The buggers are that thick skinned you'd have to drive an insult into them with a rivet gun ):E

Just having some fun with the oily hand gang for whom I have the utmost respect.:p

allthatglitters
14th Mar 2007, 14:40
Of COURSE it was my intention Me? Offend engineers? Never!!
(The buggers are that thick skinned you'd have to drive an insult into them with a rivet gun )
Just having some fun with the oily hand gang for whom I have the utmost respect.

I am not allowed to print here what I wish to reply.:mad:

Anotherflapoperator
14th Mar 2007, 20:34
Great CRM training, this thread is.

I do hope I am able to remain civilised and respectful to the engineers I meet on line for the rest of my career upstairs. I certainly value and trust the chaps I work with now.

The poor blokes are under threat of redundency, yet remain professional and cheerful. Sometimes we do sit on minor snags, as we are fully aware the old bus is constantly on the go, but gets a breather for 3 hours on the weekend where the lads get time to chase down and fix stuff. It's a close knit base though and we all know and get on well.

I apologise for the fact more stuff goes in the book after sectors just before the long turnarounds, but it is with the best intentions.

MY seat, sorry ,the one I'm allowed to sit in when they finish, just seems to get used for throwing the tech log and their outdoor jackets on.

Best wishes to the BACON IOM line!

Mr.Brown
15th Mar 2007, 07:49
MY seat, sorry ,the one I'm allowed to sit in when they finish, just seems to get used for throwing the tech log and their outdoor jackets on.
Thats the observers seat!
But all things serious, at our base there really is a good working relationship between Engineering and Crew. We all manage to keep a really old fleet in the air which at times seems nothing less than a miracle.:ok:

Ladytech
18th Mar 2007, 14:58
You want it fixed but don't have time to wait?
No problem- what time tomorrow would you
like to try for??
Also- I don't really care what YOU want.
I just need to make it legal per MEL (if possible)!

JamesA
21st Mar 2007, 11:48
ConwayB,
I would like to expand your irking group - perahps more CRM ammunition.
My irk groups:-
1 Pilots 2 Cabin Crew 3 Maintenance 4 Companies 5 Security

All groups - A lack of common courtesy. I think this shows as the most frequent complaint. It costs nothing and buys a lot.

Group 1 The pilots who run away from the aircraft saying ít's good , nothing wrong', but leave several defects in the log.
The pilots who do not discuss a defect to help with diagnosis regarding where, when, etc.

Group 2 The Galley Rats who insist they must have the oven, coffee maker, puked on seat sorted NOW, when the Eng is busier than a cat burying sh1t with a safety related or a no-go defect.

Group 3 The Ramp Tramp who is so full of bullsh1t to the captain because he doesn't want to fix the problem or more likely hasn't the first idea what to do but wants to create the impression he is the number one fixer in the company.

Gruop 4 There is no money to buy parts, equipment, training, etc., because it hasn't been a good year and cash is short. And, then squanders a fortune on advertising, new uniforms and, of course, new management cars.

Group 5 The great unwashed subjecting to their personal 'chip on shoulder' syndrome to anybody within shouting range. Especially those from the grossly overpaid flying types.
A gross inability to apply a grain of common sense on any occassion -Ít's more than my job is worth', etc.etc.
Special message to disillusioned Security Staff - If yo unoe realise your present position is a result of not paying attention at school. Not all is lost - You can join the Army. They will educate you, even teach reading and writing if necessary. Even become a member of society.

I know these are only a minority, but it always they who are remembered.

Lukeafb1
23rd Mar 2007, 13:00
This thread reminds me of an occasion when I and a colleague (both sergeants) were sent on a Lone Ranger exercise with two Canberras to Gan.
We were both given flying clothing, but my overalls still had Flying Officer rank and wings sewn on.
When we arrived at Gan, the aircrew scuttled off as fast as they could leaving me with my aircraft.
I was in the middle of carrying out the A/F when a corporal sauntered up.
Corporal: 'Wot' you doing, Sir?' (I was opening the hydraulic reservoir panel)
Me: Sergeant actually, I'm doing the A/F'.
Corporal: 'You're not supposed to do that, Sir, that's what I'm here for'.
Me: No, that's OK, I'll finish it'.
Corporal: 'You're not trained to do it'.
Me: Actually, I am'.
Corporal: 'You may miss something!'
Me: 'Hopefully not, I'm flying back to Wyton in this thing tomorrow'.
Corporal: All the more reason for me to do it'.
At this point my colleague saunters up, having heard the conversation and having already removed his flying suit.
Colleague: You're at it again, Sir, look what happened when you tried to remove that engine'.
Corporal (flabergasted) 'What?'
Colleague: He does it all the time'.
Colleague and I collapse in hysterics. Corporal totally confused until he remembers my first riposte and sees the light. Exit irate corporal muttering about engineers impersonating pilots.
You never can tell.:hmm:

woptb
23rd Mar 2007, 13:42
Anyone who gets on their high horse outbound from base;
"Show me the limits......" etc.,but inbound will carry any old sh17e because its leg over & chips time! Just a small minority.Apparently professionalism is an absolute:rolleyes:

eagle commander
16th Apr 2007, 11:55
The most annoying thing for me is when the pilot who tells you whats wrong and then tells you how to fix it! In this digital integrated avionics suite age I reply that it's probably an "interface problem" - the interface between the chair and the control column! Some of them are actually smart enough to work it out!

JamesA
16th Apr 2007, 12:45
Eagle Commander,
I recently learnt a new expression to cover your last post. You just say 'PICNIC' meaning 'Problem in chair, not in component.' I thought it covered the subject exactly.
Happy squawks
James

Riccardo
16th Apr 2007, 23:01
Also- I don't really care what YOU want.
I just need to make it legal per MEL (if possible)!

Touche!

Also I'll tell YOU if it's out of limits.......not the other way around.

allthatglitters
17th Apr 2007, 02:37
You defer by the MEL a bleed or a power supply put an inop sticker on it and the system is left alone, you inop the pull out table and everybody carries on as though it wasn't broken until you try to put it away and now it is stuck in front of the flight displays.
Or even worse the hostee tell's you there's a problem and then tells you how to fixit. Once again, today, another one at it, if she knew how to fix it why call me.

IFixPlanes
23rd Apr 2007, 11:26
Hello eve4u
Maybe this E-Mail Adress can help you:
[email protected] :}