PDA

View Full Version : Pilanesberg ops

4HolerPoler
3rd Feb 2007, 18:58
I'm checking through the normal channels but can anyone think of a reason why you couldn't operate a large aircraft, such as a Boeing 747, into Pilanesberg? Wouldn't be commercial, so fire-cover not critical.

Whilst we're on question time, what's the condition of the runway & taxiways like?

Any input appreciated.

4HP

unablereqnavperf
3rd Feb 2007, 19:11
Suspect runway to short and too narrow at least it was when I was last there 15 years ago!

4HolerPoler
3rd Feb 2007, 19:30
That's about when I was last there but the chart shows it's 2,750 meters (@ 3,400 AMSL) long & 30 wide - not as wide as normal but both plenty for a large aircraft that's not going a long way.

Excuse all the questions, but what's the conditions of the turning circles like - that'll be a show-stopper if they're not available.

Thanks for the help.

4HP

phydeaux
4th Feb 2007, 03:35
The runway was lengthened and widened with in the last 5 years or so but there is no significant turning circle at either end for a 'heavy'.:{

CALCULATOR
4th Feb 2007, 04:03
We operate 737 and 727 and MD82 in there on a ad hoc basis.
Runway excellent and turning circles both ends no prob for above aircraft.

Hope you dont arrive internationaly as immigration is so slow there prob take you about 4 hours to clear a 747 pax!
Also I have a feeling that the Lcn is to low for a 747 IE it is to heavy for the ramp.
Apart from the above the airport is not very busy now days, no schedule traffic in there anymore just ad hoc charter.Hope the info helps?

4HolerPoler
4th Feb 2007, 05:12
Thanks for all the info so far; very useful.

4HP

Goldfish Jack
4th Feb 2007, 18:10
4HP

Know there are a few local operators that keep quite detailed info about such airfields. You might like to try Execujet ops - prob the best around for that info.

As far as I know it is that long the runway, we regulary get charter ops to/from the Cape to/from there and most are medium a/c and they make it no problem. Can't think of a heavy operating into/out of there. I know the planning was to handle heavy a/c but dont think they expanded their plans to include heavy a/c in the end.

I also dont think they have any ground equipment to handle a widebody a/c, least of all a Hobart.

jimmythegong
11th Feb 2007, 18:02
Operate in and out of there about 2 - 3 times a month.It's a joke!
Runway is fine, services non existent! Staff incompetent on the ground. Fuel only available on weekends if prior arrangements made well in advance, and then still no guarantee. A nightmare! I would seriously reconsider sending anything in there unless no other choice.

4HolerPoler
11th Feb 2007, 22:08
Sounds like home-base jimmy. Bliss!

Sounds like they've made a decision. I'll be there to watch on Tuesday.

4HP

CJ750
12th Feb 2007, 07:51
Please post some photo's . This will be an occasion of note. Been in there recently , but not with a Jumbo. I doubt the turning circles are ok and also the LCN but if it is the same guys who landed at rand then they should make the intersection.

:} GOOD LUCK :}