PDA

View Full Version : GFS

eliasg17
3rd Feb 2007, 18:13
Hi there,
I wanted to ask if GFS is a good flying school and if it has a good reputation?is it hard to find a job as an CFI in OZ?
i would like any advice and thoughts About GFS
bye

chode1984
4th Feb 2007, 00:27
Is GFS a good school in terms of training there? or working there? They are pretty good with their training but you'll pay through the nose for it. I would train somewhere cheaper. Not sure about working conditions. pretty average i think just like every other school.

PS2A_yay!
7th Feb 2007, 00:38
Am surprised that this thread has not copped a beating!

But, IMHO, having done my flight training there and since worked there, GFS rates amongst one of the best schools in Oz.

As mentioned it does have its good and bad points like most places. Yes it is quite expensive, but there equipment is not more than 1.5yrs old, it is maintained to a high standard, and there are more than enough to choose from. Most of the instructors there are relatively experienced having started quite junior and worked there way up to the top and beyond! They have internal testing officers which is a plus.

Working there is a very different thing. On the bad side, there is a lot of politics to deal with, and you work very hard for your money. On the plus side, there is PLENTY of flying to be had. Lots of variety in the flying too - navs, NVFR, aeros, SAR, it all good.

Most of the guys I know/knew from there all enjoyed their time and have now moved onto bigger things that burn turbine fuel.

PM me if you want any further info.

Cheers

scrambler
7th Feb 2007, 17:47
Haven't had a great deal of experience there.
I have been requested to do a check flight to hire a 172, only a couple of weeks after doing a check in a Saratoga with them (and several months after doing a check in a 172R with another school). "

Its OK you will only need to do half an hour or so". Didn't need the ride after pointing out all the other 172's on the field. "I can hire yours without another check ride or one of those with one, your choice."

Have heard some interesting similar stories from kids doing instructors courses (about 10 years apart) which makes me want to stay away from their aircraft.

ABX
8th Feb 2007, 01:40
eliasg17,

A search under GFS in the search box above will reveal plenty of info about them ...