PDA

View Full Version : Travelling alone with a 3 month old. Any advice?

Tinstaafl
3rd Feb 2007, 17:35
Hi all. This could probably have been placed in SLF but I'd particularly like CC feedback.

I have to travel back to Oz with 3 month old MiniTinny, hopefully towards the end of the week. I'll be alone (apart from Liam, of course...). The flights will be Delta Orlando-LAX & then Qantas LAX-Brisbane taking around 27 hrs to complete. A request for a bulkhead seat + bassinet was included in the booking.

He'll be on formula but not sure if I should opt for powder or premixed. I lean towards premixed for convenience but wonder about getting quite a few bottles on board due security bull****. Wish I could breastfeed because that's what he's on now but I'm the wrong gender...

At his age he tends to sleep, eat & generate the need for nappy changes, along with a few periods gazing at the big wide world so entertainment for him shouldn't be a factor. I'll have plenty of wet wipes, disposable nappies (2 doz or so - enough for a few days in case of delays) + disposal bags for the used nappies, some spare clothes & blanket for him and some infant paracetemol/acetominophen. I think getting a lightweight stroller might be a good idea for terminal activities but what about gate checking the thing?

Do you have any suggestions about what I can do and what facilities or assistance might be available to make the journey easier for us, the flight's crew & the other pax? Any 'Please Don'ts', and any 'Please Do's'?

I'm trying to think of everything but I've never travelled with a child before, let alone an infant.

apaddyinuk
3rd Feb 2007, 18:13
Awww.....Mummy leaving daddy with the baby for the big puddle jump! LOL!

I would say one thing, leaving the states make sure you have a letter from the childs mother to state that you have permission to take the baby out of the country without her.

A small light collapsable buggy is essential if you ask me. You know the little deckchair variety...trust me the crew of both flights will love you because they are so easy to store and definately on the 747 sector will fit happily into the overhead locker. Theres nothing worse than having a dozen huge buggies (some even come with those three wheeler contraptions) and all expecting you to squeeze them into the limited wardrobe space which should be reserved for premium cabin coats.

Im sure the flights (not sure about delta however) will have some food provisions for infants however always bring back ups as the food may not always be suitable.

I think you should be alright bringing extra milk with you as long as you are prepared to test it for the security chaps. But if your baby can drink the water/powder stuff it may be worth your while bringing these for the longer flight as the crew can easily prepare those for you. Also the crew will heat the milk no problem if you need it.

Also may I suggest you bring a few little distractions such as a picture book or little toy (nothing noisy may I add) to distract him should he start crying or something like that.

If he does start crying the best advice I could give you is not to stress yourself out. As someone who sees this happening all the time on flights it tends just to make the baby get worse and before you know it you have an entire stressed out cabin. The best thing to do is just pick him up and go for a little walk to the back of the plane (and sure the let female cabin crew brood over him too, thats always a reliable distraction). Also expect him to bawl during take off and landing due to the pressure buildup in his ears. Crying is actually the best thing for him at these stages of the flight because it reduces the discomfort in the ears.

A big tip to you would be to call Qantas 24 hours in advance (im not sure if you can do this online or not, perhaps you can) and try to confirm the bassinette row as Delta may not be able to do this for you for the flight that it really matters on. Try seatguru.com too but be warned, the information is not always reliable on it.

Finally...DONT LET YOURSELF GET STRESSED!!! Regardless of what gets thrown at you throughout the day, you are a parent alone with a baby...you will be able to call upon the good will of others should you need a hand. Keep it simple for yourself (just one bag with the babys stuff and one small one for your own stuff) and be organised. Arrive at the gates in plenty of time to be preboarded and dont be afraid to let the crew and groundstaff help you out!!!

But enjoy it, have a ball and hope it all goes well for you!

Juud
3rd Feb 2007, 21:22
Tinnie, yer a brave man! ;) So Liam's going to meet the grandparents huh? :ok: :ok:

All good tips from paddy, there's some I'd like to add. If you can, try and have him on a bottle during take-off and landing. Swallowing=equalizes pressure=avoids earache.

Are you bringing a spare set of clothes for yourself? The disruption of his routines might make him vomit, and you do not wanna sit around in wet clothes smelling of sour milk. (the voice of bitter experience)
And don't worry too much about the extra hand luggage. Firstly, everybody is used to parents traveling with kids carrying humongous amounts of luggage, secondly, all the FAs will melt over a Dad traveling with a baby and will not mind your carry on mountain.

I'd go for the powdered formula. You have enough to carry, and you can always ask an FA or lady pax to hold Liam while you mix his formula in the galley.

Also, if he does get a crying fit and you do get stressed out (I know you're not the type, but it happens) there's no shame in asking an FA to walk around with him for a wee while. I walk around with babies most flights; gets their parents off the hook for a bit, lets me remember what a baby's head smells like and often so surprises the child that they stop crying.
Same goes for when you have to go to the loo and he's awake BTW.

Oh and Tinnie, you know that most aircraft have special fold down baby-changing tables in a few of the toilets so you can change his nappies there instead of on the seat? More comfy for you and the people around you.

Lastly, having along baby-strength nose spray can be a very good thing. Baby sized Eustachian tube is easily clogged.

Good luck to the both of you, I know you'll do splendidly.
Have a great time in Oz. :ok:

6chimes
3rd Feb 2007, 21:55
And Calpol! if old enough to take it.

flybywire
4th Feb 2007, 09:19
Do you have any suggestions about what I can do and what facilities or assistance might be available to make the journey easier for us, the flight's crew & the other pax? Any 'Please Don'ts', and any 'Please Do's'?

Hi there!! First congratulations and well done for taking such a long journey on your own with your baby!

Well as Juud said, I'd go for powder milk if your baby is used to it as it will avoid you questions and possibly unnecessary delays at security (and you won't have to taste the milk like they make people do over here!). I have seen some baby shops selll containers where you can put up to 4 individual doses of powder so that you do not need to carefully measure the powder on the plane, you just empty one of the compartments in the bottle, add water (ask for mineral water on board, it won't be a problem I am sure) and then you can ask the cabin crew to warm up the bottle for you (usually by putting baby's bottle in a pot of hot water).

One thing I would ask you not to do (I am sure you know it already but it's more frequent than you can imagine) is to change youyr baby's nappy on the seat....even small aircraft are usually equipped with baby changing facilities. I am saying this because I have seen way too many people ignoring that their fellow fassengers were actually having dinner and changed their baby right there....besides when you take off a baby's nappy, as you probably know, the change in temperature may affect them and I have seen quite a few "fountains" because of this, if you know what I mean, resulting in soaked parents, seats and neighbours!!! :}

A lightweight stroller, provided it fully collapse, shouldn't be a problem at all, they will probably check it and give you a tag, however you should be able to use it till you get to the aircraft door, at this point it will be put in the hold. Depending on different airline policies you should be able to collect it at the end of your flight at the a/c door or at the carousel (ask the airline staff for their specific procedure).

As for wet wipes...they are not allowed when you go through security in the UK (I know it for experience, they made me throw away a full pack of 52!!:* )
So if you can it mightbe better to buy some once you are airside, however local US laws might be different.

6chimes referred to Calpol, which is one of the brand names for infant paracetamol in the UK, so I can see you have already thought about it. :ok:

You seem pretty much sorted, please let me know how it has gone, I am planning to go home to see my family at the end of May when my baby will probably be about 8 weeks old and it would be nice to have some "tried&tested" advice from somebody who went a loooooong way with his baby!!! :ok:

Happy flying!!

FBW:)

flybywire
4th Feb 2007, 09:21
I forgot to say: if your baby uses a dummy make sure you pack one as the change in cabin pressure can be relieved by the sucking action, or alternatively you can try to feed the baby once the descent has started, it's the sucking that really helps!! :ok:

lexxity
4th Feb 2007, 09:48
I would recommend at least two full changes of clothes for Liam. Trust me on that.:\

If you can't find a suitable umbrella stroller have you thought about a sling? Don't forget that you will need a stroller that reclines fully because Liam is so small yet. Try the maclaren techno for a really good all rounder. I have a silver cross pop, but I didn't get that until me little one was ten months so it didn't need the tiny baby provisions.

We had no problem bringing wet wipes through in the US, but we weren't allowed to bring a cup of water so I would check that premixed formula is allowed or just do the powder thing. You can get little premeasured formula powder holders to make mixing bottles easier. Have you tried the Liam on a bottle already? My little one absolutley would not take one.

Also make sure you bring his usual sleepwear on the a/c with you and one or two of his cot toys, like teddy bears, too. It will help him feel more comfortable to have familiar things with him.

flybywire
4th Feb 2007, 10:00
Lexxity is right, the Maclaren Techno is very popular with our baby frequent flyer, as it is lightweight, very comfy as the seat reclines to an almost flat position so it's ideal for little babies and when it's folded is so small that it can fit anywhere, including, if you're lucky, in an aircraft overhead locker! :ok:

vodkaholic
4th Feb 2007, 10:37
Can I just ask why UK security don't allow wet wipes? Is it something to do with the whole liquid thing?

Also, I don't actually have kids, but have been told that babies can't drink mineral water? Not sure how right this is, but if it is then you would probably want to consider taking pre-made up bottles. However, I have tasted baby milk (SMA gold) and my god is it vile!!!! doesn't taste a thing like milk, so not sure why they call it that ha ha. But you will have to be prepared to taste it I imgine.

Also, some airlines (inc. the airline i work for in the UK) arent allowed to hold babies for obvious reasons. So don't be put out if the flight attendants refuse. However, I'm sure if they see you are struggling they may bend the rules (may not even be the same rules as we have in the UK)

Finally, I'd just like to say good luck! I babysat on my own for my sister's 3 month old yesterday and found it very hard! I gotta say you parents have my admiration you really do!

flybywire
4th Feb 2007, 12:47
Yes vodkaholic, UK security have gone completely mad, and you'll find that what applies to one airport not necessarily applies to another.
I had specifically asked BA check-in desk if wet wipes were allowed (mine were the ones to remove make-up) and they said yes, only to be told at security that no, in fact they are not!! (as if one could set a bomb off with wet wipes alone!) When I came back a couple of days later (I think it was Glasgow) I asked the same question and they said "No problem!".

As for mineral water, it depends what mineral water it is (if it is high in some minerals and sodium) however it is much better than aeroplane water, that's for sure!! Sometimes you just have to compromise! They also suggest that mineral water is better than tap water unless you can boil it (and therefore sterilize it).

I agree with the holding of the baby, BA tells us not to do it, but I admit I have done it many times, as sometimes you just have to judge the risks and the pros and cons at that time and place (for example I once had a passenger who was badly suffering from motion sickness all the way to France, and was travelling with a 5 month old baby, I didn't hesitate to hold her baby for as long as she needed!)

vodkaholic
4th Feb 2007, 15:04
flybywire, yeh can see your point with the holding of the baby. and i agree, if the situation arose i would not hesitate to help out a passenger, asi can only imagine how stresful flying with a very young baby must be!!

ok, wasn't sure on the mineral water thing. but as you say you do have to weigh it up against the other options. i always thought that babies owuld be better of drinking mineral water until i was told otherwise lol. i dont understand how parents just seem to 'know' this stuff ha ha! lets hope i dont become a parent for a loooong time yet lol.

still really shocked over the whole wetwipes thing as well. i wouldnt in my wildest dreams class them as liquid. sometimes i think security like to be awkward (for example, taking a lighter off the captain. if he really wanted to kill everyone on the plane he could fly it into a mountain!) but they have far too much power dont they. especially when you REALLY have to make the trip.

min
5th Feb 2007, 08:15
I second what lexxity said, and make sure that you do a few trial runs with the formula/bottle to make sure he'll take it seeing as he's breast-fed currently? I had a child who would not have a bar of any bottle whatsoever - made life very interesting. Also, the change from breast to formula will also result in different bowel movements usually, so be prepared for that little gem :)

PPRuNe Pop
5th Feb 2007, 08:20
Hey Tinnie, that is really brave of you mate! Pity J can't go too but the g/parents are going to have a ball seeing Liam.

I am sure you will get flooded by the FA's and will have plenty of time to relax yourself - that is important. Watch out for the broody FA's too! :=

You are not checking your PM's either but I will ring this week anyway.

Get some good pics of the trip.

Have a safe one.

PPP

JOE-FBS
5th Feb 2007, 09:04
We took our small boy long haul (London - FLorida on BA) when he was only nine months old. He also did short haul (London - Hamburg) when he was only three months with no problem. For the long haul I would suggest that you book a proper airline (as you have it seems) and get a bulkhead seat with cot (which you hopefully have) and all will be fine. The only thing I would disagree with everyone else is taking a push-chair. Apart from the fact that as someone with a professional as well as personal interest in cabin safety, I seethe massively at excessive cabin baggage, as a parent I would say that far from being necessary it will be a great inconvenience, especially on your own. Even at nine months, I carried him in a soft (i.e. non-frame) sling thus avoiding the inconvenience to myself and everyone else of a push-chair. We bought a cheap second hand push-chair on arrival in the US then returned it to a charity shop as we left. Give that a go maybe?

Amusing but serious, I have never been forgiven for saying to my other half as we strapped in "If we have an emergency evacuation, don't look for me or Robin, just go". She interpreted that as me saying that I was going to trample her if she got in my way with Robin! Travelling alone, you won't have that problem!

Octopussy2
5th Feb 2007, 10:21
I don't see the problem with a buggy; on the flights we've done, they've always let us hang on to the pushchair until the door of the aircraft; the buggy then gets chucked in the hold at the last minute and comes out with the rest of the luggage - easy peasy. (hint: if you buy a McClaren, consider tying a piece of ribbon or something on it so you can recognise it, cos EVERYONE's got one...I always end up trying to figure out which one is ours out of a parade of 5 or so).

It's been said before, but can't underestimate the importance of making sure your baby is used to the bottle and the formula before you go! If you can feed all the way up and all the way down, it's a huge advantage because that way his ears won't hurt and you'll dispense with the consequent screaming.

Brasilian Bird
7th Feb 2007, 06:30
If Mini Tinny DOES cry on descent, and doesn't stop, PLEASE don't worry that he is annoying/disturbing the other pax. I know some people without kids can be vile and I've seen many a poor mum or dad stress out... on one or two occasions have said loudly so the rude pax giving mum/dad dirty looks can hear, "Oh don't worry, let him cry as much as he needs, it's the natural way to release pressure in the ears, don't stop him or it may hurt them"... always shuts up Know-It-All-No-Kids pax!!! :D

Good luck, I am sure the crew will love you as you are one of those parents that THINKS about how to fly with a little one (Nice touch to have the bags for nappies, you ARE thinking of the fellow pax and the crew!!!)

Have a great flight and let us know how you get on!

johnezy
7th Feb 2007, 16:03
hi, with regards to wet wipes take them and if they do get refused by security the crew should have some on board, they either come in the meal packs or in the aircraft bio hazard kit (for cleaning up "spilages") most crew though will probably have a couple in their cabin bags. or you could ask for a hot towel before its been made hot!
good luck you're braver then most!!:ok:

Tinstaafl
7th Feb 2007, 18:46
Thank you everyone for your much appreciated advice. Sadly, our trip wasn't for pleasure but to see my dad before he died. Unfortunately events overtook us and I had to make a precipitous departure for Oz before Liam could receive his passport. We expect, however, to put it to use later this year instead.

The only positive side is that I made it to Oz just in time to spend the morning with my dad while he was still conscious prior to him slipping into unconsciousness at lunchtime and dieing that evening.

If any CC - in particular the CSD - from QF176 LAX-BNE 5 Feb 07 are reading this than please accept my grateful thanks for arranging priority disembarkation & ground staff assistance. Thank you also to the telephone booking staff who changed my original ticketing so I could depart the US that morning and the LAX check-in & supervisory staff who allowed me to change from QF108 even though QF176 was all but full. It was touch & go whether my father would even be alive that morning so the extra time to be with him while he was still conscious was invaluable. I can't thank you enough.

-------------
Thomas Arthur Ingram, 15 Jun 1943 - 7 Feb 2007.

The Voice
7th Feb 2007, 20:20
N, J and Liam,

My heartfelt sympathy to you all at this sad time. When you are all here a little bit later, maybe we can all get together, meet the little fella, and raise a glass to your dad.

R (@TV)

ODMEA
6th Mar 2007, 05:59
They have the most wonderful Sky Nanny trained at the famous Norland College in London! Makes flying with a kid a pleasure!
Enjoy