PDA

View Full Version : youtube sound prob?

tony draper
2nd Feb 2007, 19:51
Just been across to a neigbours,he has a puter I built for him a while back everything is fine with it,when I built it I plonked in a Creative SB 5.1 sound card card,(he has a Cambridge 5.1 sound system) anyway just telling him about some music clips on youtube so he logged on to one and downloaded same,the video part plays perfectly but there is no sound?
Did a bit of investigation with diagnostics,the sound card plays audio CD's perfectly well but will not play wave files or midi files,swapped his 5.1 card for another known goodun I had in me spare puter, and that one was the same?
I downloaded the latest Creative 5.1 drivers but when I try to run it it says no 5.1 card detected on system,got me bamboozed it has.
The only thing I can think is the onboard sound card is conflicting with the Sound Blaster,I could not use the onboard sound chip because I had no drivers for it,sound card is on Auto in bios,there does not seem to be any other option.
It is flagged in system information as a problem device.
It is a Hewlet Packard motherboard and the bios is ****e in that it does let you alter or control very little.
Anybody got any ideas?
:confused:

terryJones
3rd Feb 2007, 18:02
Had a not disimilar problem on the Mrs's beast about a month ago. She could get no sound in PalTalk, which she uses every day to talke to the kids (36 and 40 year old KIDS???)
I changed the sound card, reinstalled the card drivers, and was just wondering where to go from here.
As a last resort we looked at a system restore, and lo and behold, one of the entries on there was Windows Media Player update.
I had heard some people talking about the odities of the latest version of Media Player, and after a sys restore the new one was gone, the old one was back, and sound was restored.
Personaly I have Nero Player set to default all media here, and also have Auto Updates turned off, so I don't get nasty Micro$oft $hock$ from Redmond...