PDA

View Full Version : GFS/ Instructors.

novicef
2nd Feb 2007, 11:14
Is GFS looking for Gr.2 instructors or are they only interested in Gr.1s?

Aussie
2nd Feb 2007, 14:38
Bankstown or moorabin?

AUssie

The Bunglerat
3rd Feb 2007, 03:50
Historically, GFS have never really had a need to "look" far for instructors, as they always have a ready-made pool of young hopefuls to mould in their own image (by way of the large numbers enrolled in the Swinburne/RMIT courses). The only time this is not the case is if they have a mass movement of senior people (as is about to happen quite soon), and they find themselves short of talent at the top of the food chain.

A lot of people bag this organisation (sometimes unfairly) for being a sausage factory amongst other things, but for the most part I enjoyed my time with them. As someone else has mentioned on another thread, most of the instructors are pretty good guys/girls, I have the utmost respect for the CFI (couldn't have worked for a nicer boss), but the owner... Well, I spent a long time trying very hard to get on his wavelength and figure out what makes him tick - but the fact is I just don't get him.

On the plus side: Good fleet, very high standards regarding SOP's and airline-style practises in general (as a result of their significant involvement with airline cadet training programs), and no shortage of flying opportunties.

On the negative side: A very insular place, more so for the guys who trained there, went on to work there, and have absolutely no idea that there's a whole other world out there; something to which the owner no doubt relies on to keep everyone on a tight leash (i.e. don't encourage them to think that there is actually life outside of GFS, otherwise they might realise they can do better).

JimmyReeves
4th Feb 2007, 00:21
I work for a large school at JDK that train S.E. Asians. We are struggling to replace the 8 G1s and 2 G2s that have left for bigger and better equipment within the last six months. I don't know how the other schools are going to find G1s or G2s. We've only managed to hire fresh G3s. Wouldn't it be great if there was a G1 award pay increase.

Ultergra
4th Feb 2007, 11:41
If it's worth anything, any Grade 2/1's would be much better off heading up north and doin' some real flying.

Thats... real flying, incase you missed it the first time, in which case, stay instructing :ok:

The Bunglerat
5th Feb 2007, 05:11
Do not confuse industry professionals who teach advanced sequences (including IFR, airline multi-crew procedures and pressurised turbine ops in C90/B200/C550 type aircraft) with the "hacks" who do nothing more than lap the circuit in their ultralight/C150 all weekend.

In spite of my earlier comments regarding GFS, some (I'll concede "some" not all) of their pilots are amongst the best trained and professional aviators you will ever come across. Numerous airlines would seem to agree, as there are plenty of ex-GFS guys now flying heavy metal who never did their time up north in some clapped out C206 - and whose flying skills and command decision-making abilities are no worse off for not having any, how do you say, "real" flying experience.

Aussie
5th Feb 2007, 06:49
You get what you pay for.....

JimmyReeves
5th Feb 2007, 07:46
Ultergra...

Your advice is isn't worth anything.

Thanks anyway.