PDA

View Full Version : Biz or Airlines??

ollycopter
2nd Feb 2007, 10:53
I know I am asking this question in the Biz jet forum but who wants to weigh up the pros and cons of the Biz aviation versus Airline stuff? The freedom and better locations of the Biz world? The standard schedule and generally larger aircraft of the Airline? More challenging locations and more hands on flying of the Biz wolrd? The standardisation of the Airline world? The better cash from the Airlines overall?? The better lifestyle of the Biz Boys and Girls??

Your thoughts

PPRuNeUser0215
2nd Feb 2007, 11:19
I think it is down to experience and age.

If you are young and start in GA/Bizjets, chances are that you will get the need and the opportunity to get in the airlines and fly the bigger stuffs.
If on the other hand, you have joined the airlines without doing the Biz thingy, you might feel you have missed out on true flying and will be at least curious about this part of the industry or even go for it.

Then rather than comparing the aircraft size (and assuming you have a little bit of experience in the industry), you will think that what is most important is not the size but your lifestyle.
If you have what you want in the airlines, why change that (apart for my first point). If you are happy flying Bizjets then the same applies.

It is my personal opinion and experience that the airlines have changed a great deal in the past few years (locked door, dum security, 4/5 sector day, low cost model etc...). I was lucky enough to join what could be considered a "legacy airline" although a charter one. I was also lucky to see the transformation (not so successful so far) into a low cost model (or mixed model as per their words).
So I was lucky to see my future at an early stage and weighing the pros and cons, I decided to take a massive paycut (35-40%) to become a Bizjet pilot (NJE).
I have not been there very long but I have no regret and look at airline jobs coming through without the slightest will to go back to the routine.

I am happy were I live, I fly a nice aeroplane (XL), with nice crews to very varied destinations. I like night stops (and get plenty) but like being home a few days in a row too. I get all that.
I would like to see some things change within NJE but I also believe (naively some will say) that they are occuring.

So for me, I have done both and I know where I fit better. We are all different and so are our expectations, experiences.

Unless you have experience both, your gut feeling might be the best you have to decide where to go (and who offers you a job first).

ollycopter
2nd Feb 2007, 11:28
Very interesting insight actually. I fly The XLS and Citation 10 and although I have been out of homebase for a good two weeks now I am also home a lot too.. These months pop up every now and then.. I enjoy the trips.. I actually wonder if I am missing anything in the airlines.. I had the chances and will get them but feel part of something here.. The moeny is not the issue yet but maybe one day when this dreamy F/A wilts I will have a family to think about;)

Cheers

Aussie
2nd Feb 2007, 14:31
Amex, check your pms!

Stearperson
4th Feb 2007, 05:44
This is a tough question and one I ask myself often.
I feel very qualified to comment as I have worked full time for 2 different corporate operators and at least 2 airlines,mabye 5 depending on how you look at it.

Corporate certainly has more interesting flying to far more exotic places. I have had corporate layovers resembled paid vacations at tropical beach locations, ski resorts, beautiful mountain hideaways or exotic foreingn countries.

Promotion comes much more quickly in corporate and a good pilot is usually flying captain in a couple of months if not hired into the position.
At the airlines this can take years of frustrating waiting.You have NO control over this and are at the whim of managements decisions be they good or bad.

Airline layovers have become tawdry affairs in cheap hotels that I would never stay at on my own dime. Often you see almost nothing of the city you are in as the hotel is just off a freeway off ramp and far from anything of interest.

In the schedules department the airlines have always won for me.
Corporate schedulers constantly bugging me and changing my days off and calling for more flying during layovers is what has always driven me out of corporate and back to the airlines. At the airlines your pre determined schedule rarely changes and the phone does not ring when you are off.

For now I am and airline pilot but may return to corporate if conditions warrant.

Aussie
4th Feb 2007, 07:54
Is that rostering problem the same at Netjets? I thought if you had 5 days off then it was yours!

redsnail
4th Feb 2007, 09:47
Netjets Europe kind of falls between airlines and corporate work.

We do have a roster and days off are yours unless unforeseen circumstances occur. (eg, wx problems). Scheduling have very rarely asked if you want to start a tour early but it's entirely up to you and you generally finish early etc.

Aussie
4th Feb 2007, 14:03
Thanks again Reddo!