PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

JB007
4th Sep 2008, 12:25
We take the B733 to DLM - a prospect awaiting me in 2009http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/traurig/sad-smiley-057.gif

Leodis
4th Sep 2008, 14:48
qwertyuiop

If you had being following the global airline stocks you would have noticed that nearly all airlines have seen gains not just Jet2. This is down to further reductions in the oil price.

EGNMCharlie
4th Sep 2008, 15:04
share price jumped 30-50% in last 24 hours

Superb!! My £500 birthday treat is now worth £1066 :ok:

757 Speedbrakes
4th Sep 2008, 17:47
If you had being following the global airline stocks you would have noticed that nearly all airlines have seen gains not just Jet2. This is down to further reductions in the oil price.

Maybe not poor old Ryanair though, who eventually hedged fuel at $125 per barrel!!! :}

Remember that the price coming down is good but don't forget the dollar is getting stronger against the pound :(

Going loco
4th Sep 2008, 19:50
Dart Group is up 47% this week compared to 1 and 2% rises at Easy and Ryanair. So whatever is driving the increase is something to specific to investor sentiment in Dart and not a general bull market for airline stocks due to oil prices.

mightymouse111
4th Sep 2008, 20:39
If no logical explanation for that much of a rise, it can only mean one thing - take over/buy out/ merger! (in my opinion)

jongeman
4th Sep 2008, 20:53
I doubt that, because insider trading is supposed to be illegal!

Air Mail
4th Sep 2008, 21:37
Maybe it's nothing to do with the airline but the trucking business??

GrahamK
4th Sep 2008, 22:12
JB007

Yup, done a MAN-DLM-MAN as a pax on a 733 in 2006, without any bar service though :{

BALLSOUT
4th Sep 2008, 22:45
I would say if the share price is up that much they are about to be taken over

Have you heard this!
4th Sep 2008, 23:24
Quote:

I would say if the share price is up that much they are about to be taken over.

.......By who?

luvly jubbly
4th Sep 2008, 23:37
Well there seems to be rumours on the GSM thread........................

Leodis
5th Sep 2008, 03:29
Airline shares rise on lower oil

Investors around the world snapped up airline shares yesterday as the plummeting price of oil helped them forget two high-profile bankruptcies in the last week, but analysts warn there's still plenty of turbulence expected in the ailing industry.

"Lower oil prices basically takes away the immediate threat of bankruptcy," said Ray Neidl, an airline analyst at Calyon Securities. "A lot of airlines have seen their shares overly hit, and lower oil takes away some of the risk."

WestJet Airlines Ltd. added 3.8 per cent to $15.50 a share, while Air Canada's B shares added 2.7 per cent to $4.89, while the widely traded A shares closed down 1 cent at $4.86. American Airlines parent AMR Corp. gained 11 per cent to $11.50 (U.S.), while European airlines also posted strong daily gains.

Airline profits have tumbled this year as airlines work to restructure in order to deal with record high oil prices. American carriers plan to cut capacity by 10 per cent by the end of the year, and airlines around the world have introduced fuel surcharges to deal with higher costs.

Ottawa-based Zoom Airlines went into creditor protection last week - leaving thousands of passengers stranded in North America and Britain - as the increase in the price of aircraft fuel added $50-million (Canadian) to its operating costs in the last year.

Italian state-owned carrier Alitalia sought bankruptcy protection on Friday, saying it was losing $3-million (U.S.) a day and had amassed $1.7-billion in debt as it struggled with high fuel prices and fierce competition from discount carriers. The airline is still flying, but officials said yesterday a restructuring plan must be implemented in the next two weeks before it runs out of operating cash.

For a recovery to take hold in the industry, Mr. Neidl said "oil needs to go down to $80 [U.S.] a barrel and ticket prices have to keep going up."

Oil settled around $110 a barrel yesterday, after trading as high as $147 in July. Already on the way down on fears of a global recession, prices fell quickly after reports indicated that hurricane Gustav missed oil and gas installations in the Gulf of Mexico over the weekend.

Research Capital analyst Jacques Kavafian said Air Canada saves $25-million every time a barrel of oil decreases by a dollar. WestJet, he said, saves $7-million.

"There is absolutely no downside for the airlines when oil goes lower," Mr. Kavafian said. "The airlines benefit immediately - the same day."

Air Canada said at the beginning of the summer that it hedged 49 per cent of its fuel requirements for the rest of the year between $94 and $101 a barrel. WestJet also hedges about 50 per cent of its fuel costs, with prices in the current third quarter set around $136 per barrel.

Meanwhile, lower oil costs haven't yet translated into lower surcharges.

A WestJet spokesman said yesterday that the company introduced its fuel surcharge as a temporary measure, and that it could revisit the policy if the price per barrel settled around $100. "When it was introduced it was with an eye on removing it, if we saw oil return to normal levels," said Richard Bartrem, director of brand and communications. "We're getting there, but we're not there yet."

Air France, one of the most recent airlines to add surcharges, indicated it would rescind the extra charge if oil stayed around $125 a barrel. Air Canada was not available for comment.

reportonbusiness.com: Airline shares rise on lower oil (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080903.RPLANES03/TPStory/Business)

---------------

So blaaaaaaah to your rumours.:rolleyes:

757 Speedbrakes
5th Sep 2008, 10:28
That's a far better explanation. :ok:

We can all feel comfortable again now anyway, as they're on the way back down again!! :bored:

Funny how we're doomed if they fall to much yet people think we're doomed if they go up to much!! :confused: :ugh:

5th Sep 2008, 14:47
Luvly Jubbly

Proably more likely GSM are considering making a bid to buy up whats left of ZOOM.

Though you never know they might be looking at Jet2.

Jet22
5th Sep 2008, 14:57
I would think that if GSM came anywhere near LS, they would mess up operations BIG style, judging on what they did last year.

silverhawk
5th Sep 2008, 18:28
If the tanks of a 73-300 are too small to make Dalaman from NW UK, then I've managed to defy the laws of physics dozens of times and with a full service to boot.

Not really down to my efforts, more to do with whoever reckons it can't be done, knowing jack about what their talking about.

Nigel Croker
5th Sep 2008, 18:41
Hey Ray, i bet the pax were really happy with the service. All 15 of them!:ok:

silverhawk
5th Sep 2008, 18:47
Back then it was Astraeus and we were always full, 148 pax.

BTW you have me at a disadvantage, Sir.

Jet2
5th Sep 2008, 19:48
I was going to say cos being towed up out of Blackpool airstrip doesn't really count Silverhawk :}:}:}

737 classics were the mainstay of charter operators in the 1980s and 1990s so I must add that suggestions the 733 can't make DLM are at best a very uneducated guess. No further than TFS and Jet2 have used the 733's on them many times.

maat
5th Sep 2008, 20:06
Meanwhile, lower oil costs haven't yet translated into lower surcharges.

They might not either; weakening pound and fuel bought in dollars negates falling oil price.

robo283
6th Sep 2008, 08:11
"At least they are off the floor, but still a long way back to the halcyon days (means peace and happines Robo)"

Oh and there's me just thinking that Court Line plucked the names for their 1-11s from thin air :ok:

robo283
6th Sep 2008, 08:17
"737 classics were the mainstay of charter operators in the 1980s and 1990s so I must add that suggestions the 733 can't make DLM are at best a very uneducated guess. No further than TFS and Jet2 have used the 733's on them many times."

Indeed they were. At Orion we used to operate 733s from LGW to TLV and BJL. I think the BJL required a tech stop southbound but could sometimes operate direct northbound but that was probably with SOU as a diversion :zzz:

Mooncrest
6th Sep 2008, 11:37
I suppose the mark of engine is going to affect the range capability of the aircraft. Some 737-300s, although none of the Jet2 fleet, have the C1 version of the CFM56 which would give the aircraft longer legs, so to speak. I believe this engine was standard on the -400.

757 Speedbrakes
8th Sep 2008, 11:14
I find that very hard to believe??

He would have to sell them at a cheaper price to get someone to agree to that, as it would severely limit the purchacor's future options.

Having said that, we are talking about one of the most vile human specimens to ever walk this earth!!

Facelookbovvered
8th Sep 2008, 13:02
757 i'll drink to that

8th Sep 2008, 16:05
Doubt it! Though you never know.

Theres rumors all over the place anyway GSM supposidly been said to be considering buying up an airline such as Jet2, Bmi Baby, whats left of zoom or ordering new 737NG'S. etc

Jet22
8th Sep 2008, 17:25
GSM seem to be playing the Ip Dip Do game at the minute. Pros and Cons of waiting nearly 5 years for a New Set of Aircraft, or how about taking over an airline. erm hard choice.
Anyway, i would like to ask what is going on with LS summer schedule LBA network next year. Look for FAO flights next year for 8 people (adults as a 12 year old is classed as an adult:mad:). Anyway there FAO schedule from LBA is crap. 1500 take off, what is the Aircraft doing in the morning going to Malaga or somewhere as it is a 757 after all. There MAN flights to FAO seem to be cheaper and friendlier with a 0800 takeoff although i think it is a 733 not sure or that one.
Just want to know why FAO is receiving such a crap schedule next summer season please?

LBIA
8th Sep 2008, 18:13
Jet22 I wouldn’t complain too much about Jet2's LBA-Faro service for next summer. At least it’s still a daily service. Before jet2 arrived, LBA only had 2 or 3 weekly charter flights to Faro

By the way whats wrong with a 15:00 departure? At least it's still a daytime flight outbound.

Jet22
8th Sep 2008, 18:21
The inbounds fine like, can cope with an extra day, it is just that i know that everyone (DAD) will want to arrive at around Miday-ish and not half seven at night.

It is soo hard to fit everybody’s needs and i respect that from a companys point of view, but as a consumer and customer it is hard to find a reasonable priced airline close to Leeds/Bradford and at reasonable times.

EGNMCharlie
8th Sep 2008, 19:22
Well the aircraft has to go somewhere, as with all other afternoon services from LBA be it Malaga, Palma, Alicante, Murcia, Barcelona, etc etc.

As Faro is a single daily flight compared to double daily PMI, ALC, AGP etc I would imagine the loads will be good regardless of time. At the end of the day some people want a morning flight and some want an afternoon flight, as always, not everyone can be pleased.

It is soo hard to fit everybody’s needs and i respect that from a companys point of view, but as a consumer and customer it is hard to find a reasonable priced airline close to Leeds/Bradford and at reasonable times.

So would you say you would rather pay less for a flight leaving say from Horsforth than one leaving Leeds Bradford? :}

So say you chose the MAN - FAO option with Jet2, you would need to leave home at 4am ish, ok yes you get to Faro at lunchtime yet on the renturn home the last day is a waste as you will have to be at the airport by 10 ish so leaving resort 8-9 ish, getting up 7ish. I would rather go for the more civilised afternoon LBA flight to be honest.

Johnny F@rt Pants
8th Sep 2008, 19:39
It'll be on the 757, but what's wrong with the 737 anyway:confused:.

Here's a thought, might be logistically tricky but you could go out from MAN and back to LBA:ok:

richardnei
8th Sep 2008, 21:53
I see Jet2 are sending an aircraft to LDY tomorrow to cover the FUA PMI/LDY/PMI flight. Is this a 757 or 737 operating the flight. Futura usually send a 734 to Derry.

sam dilly
9th Sep 2008, 08:16
Now that Ryanair seem to be trying to steal the Lourdes business at Stansted
will Meeson et al ,together with the charterer of those flights take up the offers for a summer schedule and convert the LDE/STN/LDE on Mondays and
Fridays into a schedule service. 75%discount on the LDE costs must be tempting.
I have been on one or two of those flights from STN and the 124 seat config.
really is great for the less able pax.
I am sure that LS really could make this work.Ryanair will just screw up an already succesful route.their model doesnt allow for the needs of the LDE type pax

LBIA
9th Sep 2008, 09:19
Hi

News regarding charter ops this winter

There is speculation that Jet2 are sending 3 x Boeing 757-200 aircraft along with flight and cabin Crew to Jeddah this winter for 3 months from November to January for Hajji operations.

Has anyone else heard anything about this, and who's it working for?

freightdoggy dog
9th Sep 2008, 12:05
Lagos ( Murtala Muhammed ) and Port Harcourt I had heard were the bases,not Jeddah, but thats just a rumour....never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh G.S!

Some of the Old A300 boys would be up for that i guess..bit of sand and heat, dodgy markets for 4x4 and Beemer spares...right up the Sheiks street.

Anyways the real rumour is HKG...apparently :ok:

Tasty Geezer and Wah Wah send their respects

Chille Con Carnie
9th Sep 2008, 20:00
fdd
long time no show

EGNMCharlie
12th Sep 2008, 11:12
Looks like its not all gloom and doom in the Airline Industry ...

Trading Statement

Dart Group PLC, the aviation and distribution group, reports on the first five months of trading of its principal operating subsidiaries Jet2.com, the northern based airline, and Fowler Welch-Coolchain, one of the UK's largest chilled distribution companies.

The Group's underlying profit before taxation (before specific IAS 39 fair value movements) for the first half of the year is expected to be in excess of £30 million, with full year results in advance of current market expectations.

The Group's aviation business is set for a record summer. By focusing on its core European leisure routes, our scheduled airline, Jet2.com, is delivering improved yields coupled with load factors on these routes in excess of 90% in the peak months. Trading performance has been supported by increased charter volumes, strong cost control, and a conservative approach to fuel hedging. Our ATOL-protected holidays company, Jet2holidays.com, continues to grow strongly by meeting our customers' demand for a package holiday from their local airport.

Our distribution business, Fowler Welch-Coolchain, which operates over 350 vehicles providing a high quality distribution service of staple consumer goods, including chilled fresh and prepared foods, for a range of UK leading supermarkets, retailers and their suppliers, continues to perform well and in line with the Company's expectations. This business remains unaffected by fuel price movements, which are passed on to our customers.

Source London Stock Exchange.

This means now the current share price is 32p, thats a 32.6% increase.

harrogate
12th Sep 2008, 12:12
It pays to be optimistic.

BLKsheriff
12th Sep 2008, 20:42
Good to see the price rise...I've only lost HALF my investment now.....:bored:

Xcircustiger
13th Sep 2008, 09:46
...they could improve value further by cutting operating costs at the smaller bases ie expensive crew room and station manager positions at stations like STN where it seems they have a low operating programme.....The handling agents could probably provide crew report facilities for a small fee or knowing the handlers for free !!!!

mary_hinge
13th Sep 2008, 09:57
Why put a trading statement out 5 months into the year? I can understand at the 3, 6 and 9 month stage but 5 does seem very odd:(

I think XL put out a statement along similar lines 4 weeks ago:{

LEEDS APPROACH
13th Sep 2008, 10:48
There's nothing unusual about letting people (prospective customers) know that the airline is profitable and successful. Of course you're going to shout about it. With new routes announced and more to be announced Jet2 is heading in only one direction - UP (the same as the share price). Not all airlines can shout about their success. Can you provide a link to XL's statement of a record summer and profit from four weeks back???

Other airlines such as easyjet and ryanair are chopping routes and mothballing many aircraft to save money and therefore customers need a safe bet - and that's exactly what Jet2 are.

Leeds App.

EI-BUD
13th Sep 2008, 10:55
In light of the trading statement; any airline who wants to attract bookings after the media coverage of the collapse of XL yesterday would need to make positive statements like this to give customers confidence to book their flights.

However, it interests me in that not too long ago the Dart group were saying that profits were down and the airline side of it was causing the pain. So this is all better now, despite the fact that the whole business is now slowing after the summer?

It was reported on here that Flyglobespan was looking for a buyer / investor only earlier in the summer, yet suddenly all is good in their world. I am aware as probably everyone else on here is that the media get hold of spin on here and that can influence sentiment with banks and their lending to particular firms.

I would see Jet2 and Flyglobespan as the most vulnerable 2 airlines in the UK at this time.

LEEDS APPROACH
13th Sep 2008, 11:25
Well EI-BUD it is all about opinion. I think Aer lingus have more to worry about than Jet2. (no info on GSM). But this is the last time i'll be mentioning other airlines (as regards potential failure) as it's dog eat dog out there. As can be seen from the last few days only the bean counters know what is really going on.

Leeds App.

Facelookbovvered
13th Sep 2008, 11:39
Most passengers have no idea about which airlines are vunerable and few would have expected XL to go under, its this above all else that will have led to DTG trading update & why not its good commercial sense, having said that the figures mean little covering the period that they do, a little like Bernard Matthews reporting s surge in turkey sales in December!!

The winter will be difficult for all and a lowering of the oil price has no effect on costs of airlines that are hedged.

Globespan & the SAS group are ones to watch, Globespan are much closer to the XL model than Jet2

Off for a beer

chickenstrips
13th Sep 2008, 12:01
It’s good to hear an airline making positive announcements.

EI-BUD:

GSM were looking not for business investment, remember they are a seriously cash rich organisation, but a business partner. Bit of a difference there, no?

What makes you think the JET2 and GSM are on the edge? More so than Aer Lingus, who lets be honest, almost went to the wall a few years back and had to re-brand and seriously down size!

There are many airlines out there that we have no real financial knowledge of and as Leeds App. says, only the beancounters know. There is a lot of "my company is better than yours" manhood swinging going on out there, but after yesterday – that’s all it ever will be – talk!

Facebovveredlook:

I’d bet that JET2 and GSM have a very similar business model to XL. Both have their own holiday company, both offer flights only and both accept business from holiday companies.

Big difference between us and XL, lower overheads and far less competition! How many airlines operated from LGW and MAN to the same destinations???

Good luck to all – I just hope I have a job over the winter.

TartinTon
13th Sep 2008, 13:29
Jet2 are expanding....that gave me a laugh!!!

So why is there a large Jet2-shaped door at the exit to MAN airport where they are leaving in such a hurry?

Once FR decide to finish them off at LBA they'll be gone.

As for PMs statement, methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Be interesting to see what the result is when actual figures are submitted in Nov.
Everything else is just bluff and bluster.

757flyer
13th Sep 2008, 14:03
The fact is Jet2 have avery tight control on costs, like him or loath him PM is a very shrewed business man. Those that have met him recently will know that he is very boyant right know and yes the business is doing well.

I find it amazing that people on here "wish" bad fortunes on others, The demise of XL is very sad and I sincerely hope that those people who find themselfs out of work THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN get full employment soon.

PM built Jet2 off the back off 9/11 when aircraft were cheap etc, if i am right he will be planning to take advantage of the market that is developing now. Remember Dartgroup do NOT have the debts / leasing commitments that others have.

redmech
13th Sep 2008, 14:04
So why is there a large Jet2-shaped door at the exit to MAN airport where they are leaving in such a hurry?

Once FR decide to finish them off at LBA they'll be gone.

can't see the large jet2 shaped door you are on about, now looking like a busy winter at man having picked up XL and Futura charters. granted it looked very quite but now it looks like we are going to have a lot do in the winter months. ( looking busyer than last winter anyway)

Can't see FR finishing anyone off at LBA just yet as the airport will not let them exspand anymore, hence the large number of aircraft returning to LBA for the summer season. But stranger things have happened.

But only my view think no airline is really safe at this time, it just looks like the ones with the least debt may morelikely survive, but hay lets see. Don't like to see anyone lose there job in this industry, and would not wish the loss of a airline upon anyone.

EI-BUD
13th Sep 2008, 14:53
Leedsapproach

I take on board your points, we will revisit this topic in a couple of months.

BUD

EI-BUD
13th Sep 2008, 15:02
More so than Aer Lingus, who lets be honest, almost went to the wall a few years back and had to re-brand and seriously down size!

Chickenstrips , why you draw a comparison with Aer Lingus is interesting! You are correct Aer Lingus were almost backrupt some year back, and yes they did cut back the operation but now they are bigger than they have ever been and yes they have challenges financially, but it is nice to know that they have good cash in the bank!

Cost cutting exercise is due and will happen. Besides all that if Aer Lingus folded tomorrow Ryanair could come in and buy it and develop the brand!

BUD

13th Sep 2008, 19:07
EI-BUD

Now as much as i knw theres a rivalry between Jet2-Flyglobespan i wouldn't want to see Jet2 go under.:)

Flyglobespan is strong becuase it has plenty of money in the bank becuase of the Globespan Group as a hole, and has loads of 90-95% on European and Long-haul. I mean they made a 13m loss last year and acording to the Chairman Tom Dalrymyple it was nothing.

Jet2 has a very stronge base at LBA and others over northern UK and being a very profitable buisness making a profit last year. Especially with charters and the Royal Mail contract just like GSM leasing a/c.

Unlike some airlines (Aer Lingus) opening bases at airports (Belfast) were there struggling to get good loads and aren't so stupid as to drop a route with great loads for one with lower e.g Shanon-Heathrow for Belfast-heathrow.

Plus your seriously saying if Aer lingus became part of Ryanair it would be a good thing come on ML would have most routes droped and find an airport in the middle of Texas and pull it off as Los Angeles. Also you think it would stay Aer Lingus, somehow doubt it, ML says one thing and does another and before you know it, oh its Ryanair Atlantic.

daz211
13th Sep 2008, 19:34
well I know what I would want to happen if I worked for EI and I was going to be out of a job.

Its about time people stopped putting Ryanair down they are among one of the strongest Airlines in the world so they must be doing somthing right.

Just a note about Ryanair destinations - thay have started flying to alot of main airport now and some secondery airports they fly to are closer to the city than main airports.

chickenstrips
13th Sep 2008, 20:49
EI-BUD

Why mention Aer Lingus? No real reason. I think someone mentioned it before. To be honest, you can insert any airline you wish in there!

As for FR buy up the company and building the brand – that my good friend is fairy tail stuff. There is only one reason for any interest of FR and Aer Lingus and that is slots out of LHR and LGW.

Despite what MOL says about BAA having a monopoly in Londonium, he needs a big airport, with big facilities to fly 78’s full to North America…. If he, or anyone else for that matter, ever gets them.

The brand would be dropped like a hot potato!

Just out of curiosity, I ask as I assume you work for the company, what are the loads like on the A330 which has been doing the rounds in to AGP of late?? Doesn’t seem to spend all that long on the ground.

Anyways, back to Jet2 as this is their thread!

Happy landings!

EI-BUD
13th Sep 2008, 23:00

Unlike some airlines (Aer Lingus) opening bases at airports (Belfast) were there struggling to get good loads and aren't so stupid as to drop a route with great loads for one with lower e.g Shanon-Heathrow for Belfast-heathrow.

I disagree with your comments above, the Belfast/Heathrow route carried almost as many passengers in August as Shannon/Heathrow did in August Last year but Significantly Cork/Heathrow was up massively on the same months last year most of which are passengers who would usually be using Shannon/Heathrow.

The opening of a new base is not stupid, perhaps the timings is not ideal, ie as we enter into recessionary times. For Aer Lingus Belfast was as good a choice as any, the idea of getting a transatlantic service in is also the goal of management.

It is also very easy to carry out the post mortem after the media reports on low loads etc. from the outset the general word was that Aer Lingus from Belfast would be a success. Interestingly, Aer Lingus have a good handle on what proportion of its seats from Dublin get filled by passengers who live closer to Dublin than Belfast hence they know to some extent the opportunity that exists.

Jet2 has severly cut back its flying programme this winter from Belfast which will on many routes to be Aer Lingus' advantage.

EI-BUD

harrogate
15th Sep 2008, 09:19
Wow.

A hefty slice of comment on this thread is so utterly, utterly misinformed and the failure to comprehend basic economics is astonishing.

The 'Jet2 shaped hole in the door at Manchester' is a good thing, for example. Those elements of the business that have been dropped clearly weren't making money, but they gave it a go. Yes, their Manchester operation could possibly be worked on or turned around, but is this really the right climate to to chuck money at an uncertainity, or would you put that money into the things that are working and making money and look set to continue making money?

And the trading statement was common sense, given recent uncertainty across the industry, and as already mentioned, XL did not make a similar announcement prior to going balls up. To say they did is an example of yet more miscomprehension and is another completely uninformed comment.

The anti-Jet2ites on here know no bounds. Unfortunately, many of them know no economics either. I get accused of being a Jet2 insider because I make posts like this, so I'll just get that out of the way again... I'm not, and I have no vested interest in Jet2 whatsoever. I just follow these things and occasionally work in the airline industry (amongst many, many other industries coz I'm freelance). I no longer live in Leeds and I have no money in Jet2 or anything like that. I don't 'do' shares.

Put simply - the Jet2 strain of the lo-co model simply has a few crucial tweaks that at present are clearly paying dividends for them - cleary. It may not be this way forever, but it definitely is for now. Their trading statement is not a smokescreen. They seem to be operating with a fluidity and reactivity that's keeping their head above water for now. This is good. It's good for the industry too. It shows it can be done in this climate.

wawkrk
15th Sep 2008, 09:34
Well said Harrogate, absolutely spot on.

Mr.Brown
15th Sep 2008, 14:04
The group did Something like £3.8Million profit after tax last year and now in five months they're quoting in excess of £30million(all be it before tax etc).
My hat is off to whoever master minded that one.

Are Jet2 selling Gas/electric now????

757 Speedbrakes
15th Sep 2008, 15:28
Was that a compliment about Jet2 Mr Brown??!! :eek: :D

Mr.Brown
15th Sep 2008, 16:05
Don't get ahead of yourself 757.

It just seems a massive tunaround in such a short period of time.

Maybe Lehman Bro's could do with the business masterminds that Jet2 have.

freightdoggy dog
15th Sep 2008, 17:19
Mr Brown were not doomed !

harrogate
15th Sep 2008, 19:16
Mr Brown.

In the year before the year of smaller profit you referred to, Jet2 bought 4 or 5 planes and moved their entire base up north, amongst other things

None of this was free, but the idea behind it was that these things would hopefully make money in the future. We're now in the future. And these things are making money.

Just to remind you of the last line of the Chairman's statement for the year ending 31st March 2007...

"Therefore, overall, whilst I believe it is unlikely that the Group's profits will increase this year (that's 2007 to 2008, Mr Brown), growth should resume thereafter."

Well, bugger me.

Do you understand how this all works?

RMC
15th Sep 2008, 21:32
Don't worry about GSM going bust ..the CAA website showed the highest load factor of any UK charter airline last time I looked (87%) and yield is good. Last year there were some massive exceptional items.....but this year we are well in profit with a cash rich owner.

Facelookbovvered
15th Sep 2008, 22:19
Yawn, not another cash rich owner....................

It isn't over yet, but with each airline that goes bust the odd's are better for the rest, dog eat dog and all that, but i'am really sorry about my many mates aT xl...................

bmibabyfc
17th Sep 2008, 21:05
hi guys...

first time popping over on the jet2 thread!

need help please, i have some family stuck over in Kavala and apparantly they have been told they are coming back on a LS6279 into LGW on Friday, can anyone confirm if this flight is going to Kavala?

Any help appreciated...

many thanks

flybar
17th Sep 2008, 21:28
need help please, i have some family stuck over in Kavala and apparantly they have been told they are coming back on a LS6279 into LGW on Friday, can anyone confirm if this flight is going to Kavala?

Any help appreciated...

Flight number is certainly in the sequence being used by Jet2.
Todays repatriation flight was LS6275.

Look highly likely to be correct. Jet2 have done a number of flights from Greece over the last few days.

bmibabyfc
17th Sep 2008, 21:42
thanks flybar...

no sponsor
18th Sep 2008, 08:31
Looks like a B733 departing KVA at 14.00Z arriving LGW 17.00Z on the 19th.

freightdoggy dog
18th Sep 2008, 19:32
Can confirm bmibabyfc, G-CELA B733 from NCL mate,gets in to KVA at 13.30z out at 14.00z, drop off first load of pax in LGW at 17.00 , out at 17.45z then back to NCL with remaining pax at 19.00z.

Geordie cabin crew too, they're fit :ok:

greatoaks
18th Sep 2008, 19:39
bmibabyfc

here's the CAA timetable for Kavala

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1804/kavala.pdf

hope this helps :)

JB007
18th Sep 2008, 20:34
but this year we are well in profit with a cash rich owner.

I'm sure things are rosy up in Yorkshire, know loads employed by Jet2.com, home turf and all that...but don't put any faith in cash rish owners, Mr D did nothing for us at Excalibur, other that remove the greatest charter airline this country has ever seen...http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-035.gif

bmibabyfc
18th Sep 2008, 22:25
cheers guys, really appreciate all your help!!!

looks like they will be getting bussed from LGW to EMA via BHX so not all bad...

thanks again :D

TSR2
21st Sep 2008, 12:39
I note that Jet2 have reduced the New York fare from £579 to £299 return on all dates. Sounds like a good deal but I would be pretty miffed if I had paid the original fare.

Facelookbovvered
21st Sep 2008, 15:02
Its still a long way in a 757 charter/LoCo config aircraft, but you'll struggle to get cheaper flights at that time of year. It will cost that for a good night around Xmas for a couple staying in the UK

jet2impress
22nd Sep 2008, 00:20
The aircraft will not be in charter config for those flights. I believe the aircraft will be reconfigured with around 200 seats. Not sure on the exact figure. Would be no less seat pitch than VS or BA in economy I am led to believe. The current seat pitch with 235 config is 30".

Flightrider
22nd Sep 2008, 07:55
The current seat pitch with 235 config is 30".

Seat pitch in any 757-200 with 235 config is 28 inches and a maximum of 29 on certain rows to the right hand side of the cabin. It is physically impossible to put 235 seats into a 757 at 30-inch pitch unless you were to somehow stretch the fuselage by about 7ft to achieve it.

EGNMCharlie
22nd Sep 2008, 08:24
Certainly on the ex Chinese 757's they got rid of the centre toilet and galley, having flown on these the seat pitch is definately more than 28". I would imagine the pitch would be around 30" as Jet2's seats seem very 'slimline' so to speak.

jet2impress
22nd Sep 2008, 09:30
Thank you.... I was just about to mention the lost toilet and forward galley. I will take my tape measure into work today to check the seat pitch! :}

Frankfurt_Cowboy
22nd Sep 2008, 10:03
Do you really think they'll go to the trouble of reconfiguring an aircraft for four return flights? Can't see it myself.

Facelookbovvered
22nd Sep 2008, 11:04
Perhaps the £279 rtn tickets reflect the leg room? NY direct from LBA (or other smallish regional airports) is a bit of a joke (or an ego trip) with oil at anything over $60. This little Xmas trip will end up costing the company far more than they will make, so who benifits? for the crews it will be interesting first time, the second will seem like a yawn and there after, they will look forward to a short AGP trip, crew meals, allowance do/will they reflect long haul duties?

Come on Jet2 stay with what you do well and forget long haul, it will do you more harm than good, Globespam have proved that,if your in out doubt visit Skytrax (Google) and click on air line customer feed back.

These are elderly 757 and if can go wrong it will on the wrong side of the pond and the bills will go up even quicker

jet2impress
22nd Sep 2008, 11:19
Er.... yes the aircraft is to be reconfigured for 4 flights. For one, the forward cabin needs doing as the Jet2Plus product has been sold with enhanced legroom.

tonker
22nd Sep 2008, 13:28
Once these flights have been done this will be the end of any transatlantic flights for the near future.

airbusdiva
22nd Sep 2008, 14:13
Right now PM and Jet2 seem to be one of the few airlines getting things right. Looks like MOL's predictions about Jet2 were way off the mark, not for the first time ! But as we all know, it's what he wanted to happen not what is going to happen.

Facelookbovvered
22nd Sep 2008, 15:07
" seems jet2 is one of the few getting right"

Well maybe or maybe not? who knows, the recent press release about the first 5 months trading told us what? well it told us nothing, i did not see anything to the effect that we made X compared to the same period last year.

Now it may well be that they made £5m in the first 5 months of 2007 in which case they have done very well and should have a cracking year (i hope) or it could be that they made £80m in the first 5 month of 2007, in which case we will be toast.:{

lagerlout
22nd Sep 2008, 19:34
it stated a profit of 30 million plus for the first five months of the year... quite blatant really!

Also said was likely to deliver results ahead of forecasts... not a bad statement i don't see many other airlines making sucg statements!

Facelookbovvered
22nd Sep 2008, 21:00
A bit less lager might help lout

TSR2
22nd Sep 2008, 21:26
The standard B757 seating plan (shown when booking) strangely shows 246 seats configured in 41 rows of 3+3, whilst the New York flights show 228 seats in 38 rows.

Are these seating plans correct as I did not think that you could squeeze 246 seats into a B752.

topper3
22nd Sep 2008, 21:35
As far as I can see the 2007 interim report states underlying pretax profits for the 1st 6 months were 12.2 million last year, compared to an estimate of over 30 million this year.

Also, I would imagine that a lot of money was lost during last winter following the 'growth spurt', resulting in reduced annual profits. It will be interesting to see how this winter goes, but I suspect that with ongoing charters and a very focused flying programme, despite the downturn, Jet2's results are going to be pretty good.

:ok:

baps
23rd Sep 2008, 09:19
Nobody has yet made mention that 30 million profit is the Dart group profit. It isn't mentioned what Jet2 actually makes. It may be more but could be alot less but bear in mind that last years profit was almost all down to the trucking business not Jet 2.

harrogate
24th Sep 2008, 18:32
People have mentioned it, yes.

And the airline is punching its weight. Coolchain is not carrying the company, by any stretch.

MUFC_fan
24th Sep 2008, 18:54
With the loads seen at BLK and the prices they are charging, surely they have made a tiny profit at least from the airport!

As this is probably their smallest operation out of any of their bases, surely their other homes will be making bigger money?

Obviously this is all presumptions but I wouldn't be surpried if the airline turn round and silence all the 'speculators.'

With the size of the company behind them, we will definately see the airline here next summer.

bmi expat
24th Sep 2008, 19:11
When the group announces it results does it differentiate between the business units? If it doesn't then it's very difficult to say whether Jet2 is punching it's weight?

MUFC_fan
24th Sep 2008, 19:29
Apparently they made £300,000 profit.

I was always told that f a compnay breaks even it is successful. Yes, in the industry Jet2 operates in the airline needs to make a BIG profit as they constantly need to expand and improve but in the current situation the airline is matching it's outgoings with it's income which would keep the shareholders happy if I was one of them.

757flyer
24th Sep 2008, 20:18
its 30Million profit, the trading statement can be found here (top right of screen) Dart Group PLC (http://www.dartgroup.co.uk/)

PM and Jet2 have thrived through hard times before, in fact Jet2 was built off the back of 9/11. Cheap aircraft are coming onto the market again due to airline failures and I expect PM will take advantage of this.

lagerlout
25th Sep 2008, 13:57
what because no one else in making redundacies are they?

What an idiot!

Mr.Brown
25th Sep 2008, 18:04
Nobody going to mention the recent redundancies at NCL?

Can somebody fill me in, Redundancies???????

Brad the Impaler
25th Sep 2008, 21:06
I have been told by some of our crew today that there had been up to 20 Jet2 employees laid off at Newcastle as recently as Monday or Tuesday this week. I also heard that it came as some surprise to those affected and had caused a lot of upset.

lagerlout
26th Sep 2008, 07:41
i have every sympathy with people who are being made redundant. Its really isn't great.. i kinow having been there myself before.

The fact is though that the airline is a buisness and not a charity. If there is not work for these people what do you expect the airline to do with them?

Look at Ryanair, BA Aerlingus et'al they are all are cutting back... Jet2 is not on its own here.

I hope everything works out for anyone who looses their jobs. Good luck to all concerned.

boredcounter
26th Sep 2008, 08:45
'With the size of the company behind them, we will definately see the airline here next summer.'

Not wishing to temp gremlins at all................

AP Moller is a global massive company that 'backed' many airline concerns, two bore the 'trading' name of the group, then one day, I guess, they did not fit the group profile any more :-(

Affraid group backing counts for nothing if the big picture changes.

no sponsor
26th Sep 2008, 09:46
What dept have the layoffs come from: Flight Deck, Cabin Crew, Ground Staff?

Mr.Brown
26th Sep 2008, 11:12
What about that £30million?
To announce such a jump in profits over a short but busy period a couple of weeks ago and then to have made people redundant this week is a bit of a kick in the teeth for those involved.
Hope everyone finds work soon.
Maybe we all should be watching our backs.

harrogate
26th Sep 2008, 13:15
They're trimming at Newcastle, but adding staff across other departments elsewhere.

For them to keep the Newcastle staff would be like if Tesco closed a store in Newcastle, but opened 2 new stores in Leeds, yet kept the Newcastle staff in employment. It wouldn't make sense.

It's sidesteps at worst for the company. Not steps backwards.

Again, basic stuff.

Mr.Brown
26th Sep 2008, 15:20
How can they expect staff loyalty etc if they treat you like that?
Why go out of your way to acheive so much for the company if you know the first sign of trouble they trim the staff levels?

CAT1 REVERSION
26th Sep 2008, 15:35
I maybe wrong, but I think it is mainly CC employed for Summer - as with many other airlines.

Contract Pilots are also leaving as it is the end of Summer. Some been offered positions at other bases too!

no sponsor
26th Sep 2008, 16:37
There is a difference between not renewing someones contract, and laying people off. The former is not redundancy.

If the distressing sights are true, then surely it is full-time permanent employees. Can someone shed light on the truth?

Brad the Impaler
26th Sep 2008, 20:36
I am not sure but I didn't think Jet2 employed seasonal flight crew (flight deck or cabin). If they were seasonal then they would have been aware that they would finish at the end of the season (31st October usually) and would have been prepared. From what I hear, the news came as a big shock to them so I suspect they were permanent. As has been said before if things are so bright, why then are they "trimming" for want of a better word. I am hearing from around the place that Jet 2 have once again become one of the bookies favourites to pop their clogs next. The bookies seem to be able to see through the flim flam coming from Jet 2 even if others such as harrogate and lager lout cannot.

bluepilot
26th Sep 2008, 21:11
19 cabin crew, most perm contract some summer contract have been told that they must move base or face redundancy. A B757 was taken away from NCL at the end of last year and deployed elsewhere on the network, the crew requirement was good for the summer program, however NCL has a vastly reduced winter program. There are some 30 odd vacancies for CC at LBA 5 at MAN and a few at EDI and the crew have been offered these places, however there is no guarantee that they can return to NCL next summer (but the likelyhood is that they can but probably only for the summer). The summer contract pilots have been let go which is normal for the winter season. Like most airlines Jet2 has a tight grip on costs and decisions have to be taken sometime which are not pleasant, however it is for this very reason that Jet2 will not only survive this downturn it will continue to remain profitable.

My sympathy goes to the crew affected, they are a great bunch!

29th Sep 2008, 18:37
See Jet2 have launched Edinburgh-Dusseldorf!

Think Jet2 will ever come into GLA and compete on the holiday routes?

BYALPHAINDIA
29th Sep 2008, 20:12
I am hearing from around the place that Jet 2 have once again become one of the bookies favourites to pop their clogs next. The bookies seem to be able to see through the flim flam coming from Jet 2 even if others such as harrogate and lager lout cannot.

Jet 2 are here to stay, PM is on the ' Richlist' at the back worth around = 40 mill.

Jet 2 are well ahead for the future, They just need to look after their 'ageing' 733's & 752's.:D

Lol - even the man on the street has noticed how old Jet 2's Aircraft are.

Was talking to a neighbour the other week, And he knows nothing about the Airline Biz.

I agree As previously said by 'Facelookbovered' I think? the NY routes will test the 'ageing' 75's to their limits.

A long way away if anything goes tech!:ugh:

Jet 2 need a 'newish' 76 for the NY flights.

I think it would make sense financially, And it would put alot of extra 'Airframe' strain on the 75.

The 75's are very old 'birds' and need to be nursed through the rest of their op lives.:D

It's a kind of How long do you run a racehorse for ??

And the bookies - what do they know :*

LEEDS APPROACH
29th Sep 2008, 20:37
cheers for that

tonker
29th Sep 2008, 21:27
There will only be 4 flights to NY and that will be that, end of story.

An admitted mistake.

no sponsor
30th Sep 2008, 08:08
You been smoking again BYALPHAINDIA?

757flyer
30th Sep 2008, 08:35
quote: And the bookies - what do they know http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/bah.gif

if the bookies favourate does not win or gain a place the bookies make a fortune! the bookie is there to make money and is not your friend.

freightdoggy dog
30th Sep 2008, 08:46
IamDlaws...So as a CEO you have never ever had to make a decision to redeploy or let staff go ?

You would therefore keep your staff on and let your costs runaway and then watch your company go bust ?

Ryanair are laying off 900 here in Stansted including ground staff/check in etc, Total pay freeze also at all levels .

Easyjet got rid of 60 Middle management last week on the QT

And there will be a big annoucemnet in MAN on Thursday re the fallout from XL, But i'm not saying anything about who it is, as that has to come from that company's management, though it isn't Jet2.com I might add.

Here at Stansted we are actually retaining staff, because the London charters have gone bananna's since XL popped its clogs at LGW( so no doom and gloom here Mr Brown ! )

Yes I agree it isn't nice when you have been told that you are in a redundancy consultation period, happened to me 2 1/2 years ago when the
A300 fleet was wound up, but you grit yer teeth, take whats on offer ( went from a salary to a pay packet wage )and work damn hard to get back to where you want to be.

Tonk, at least it was a toe in the water op....and not a full blown schedule launch...personally im waiting for the cheap £69 staff seats !!

Jet2krazey
30th Sep 2008, 08:51
You can get staff travel too NYC at £199 return, Limited places available on each flight! not a bad deal really! :ok:

CAT1 REVERSION
30th Sep 2008, 09:48
There will only be 4 flights to NY and that will be that, end of story.

An admitted mistake.

Tonker,

Mistake - No:=

A very shrewd business decision - Yes.

Why - Because it now gives Jet2 the ability to travel to the US. One of the largest growth areas in Jet2's business is Ad-Hoc charters. At the moment we are having to turn down VERY lucrative charters to the US because we are not yet ETOPS approved.

So - When we are approved it will be a another area of revenue that the company will draw on, especially in these leaner times. Yes the aircraft are old, but contrary to some members on here, they are well maintained and I'm sure in the future, capital expenditure will stretch to buy new(er) aircraft:ok:

freightdoggy dog
30th Sep 2008, 10:28
J2K....Phone me when they are £69 !!!!!...Far too busy to take time off to go to New York anyway....but Doha in Feb is a goer...

Mr.Brown
30th Sep 2008, 16:17
Ryanair are laying off 900 here in Stansted including ground staff/check in etc, Total pay freeze also at all levels .

Aren't ryanair losing money?
Jet2/Dart group are letting people go after making an announcment of possibly the best ever summer, £30million.........

I stated back in Post #1250 about some restructuring required in the future (in my opinion) but after that announcment of such a good summer I honestly did not expect people to be laid off so soon.
It is a little bit of a shock to those involved.
How much of the summer profit is the airlines???????

BYALPHAINDIA
30th Sep 2008, 16:20
No Iv'e had my 'A' check.:zzz:

Mr @ Spotty M
30th Sep 2008, 16:20
I think l am missing something here, you do not have to fly to the USA to get ETOPS approval.
You get ETOPS approval and then fly to the USA or wherever.
What happens if you do not get ETOPS approval before the flights start, answer is that it will cause you to use more of that very cheap fluid called FUEL.

30th Sep 2008, 20:20
Flyglobespan manage without ETOPS on there 752 though the 767's are licenced and what Jet2 would pay for an ETOPS licence could just go towards the Fuel and Jet2 don't operate long-haul except 4 flights to Newark so its not really justifiable.

Do Jet2 realise there going to take on Ryanair at EDI with this new Dusseldorf service?

How much of the 30m profit actually came from Jet2s side of things?

EGNMCharlie
30th Sep 2008, 20:57
Do Jet2 realise there going to take on Ryanair at EDI with this new Dusseldorf service?

Reckon thats the whole point of it, show Ryanair Jet2 have still got some flight left in them! If Ryanair threaten to invade Leeds Jet2 will have a pop at EDI lol

BigT2207
1st Oct 2008, 06:48
Not really competition one will fly to Düsseldorf and the the other goes 50 km away to Weeze.

harrogate
1st Oct 2008, 10:36
Of course it's competition.

In the same way that Leeds is in competition with Manchester, DSA and Tees Valley.

BigT2207
1st Oct 2008, 14:37
It is not competition, they are to 2 different places, Just because Ryaniar call Weeze Düsseldorf does not make it so, By your argument Harrogate, Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield are the same place. Jet2.com fly to Barcelona from Leeds Ryanir fly to Giona which again is not Barcelona.

bcn_boy
1st Oct 2008, 15:29
Indeed bigT, it is unbelievable that Ryanair get to refer to Girona (and Reus for that matter) as Barcelona. Each city's airport is 100km north or South of BCN. Trust me, I am often there and would not even consider using those airports to get home. Am not sure how MOL got IATA to list these airports as Barcelona, but he is duping everybody.

Jet2 should stick to primary airports, and while we are at it, could they consider a base at CWL, lots of room there....

BFS101
1st Oct 2008, 15:31
But surely while it is not the same city, its the same catchment area, or that the passengers (mostly) have the same ultimate destination in mind.

I'd consider that a Beauvais service would be in competition with a CDG service for leisure travellers whose ultimate destination was central paris.
With Düsseldorf, if you wanted to visit or carry out business in the city, a flight to Weeze I would consider as a (relatively) convenient alternative. So I would have to agree with harrogate. Similarly I'd also say like many FR destinations Lubeck is in competition with flights into HAM.

All's I can say is good luck to Jet2, I'd love to see them succeed, especially up against Ryanair.

harrogate
1st Oct 2008, 15:31
Thanks for the geography lesson Big T. But you're still wrong.

Plenty of people fly to Girona to reach Barcelona. That's an undisputable fact. Some people fly to Manchester, Leeds, DSA or Tees Valley to reach Leeds and outlying areas. These are also facts. Lots of people that use Leeds airport don't live in the metropolitan area itself. Another fact.

I flew to Girona with Ryanair only last month. My hotel was in Barcelona and I had no intention of staying in Girona. I was visiting Barcelona. But I still flew to Girona.

It's got nothing to do with how the airline choose to market it. It's just geography and proximity.

By my argument Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield are not the same place at all. They're in close proximity though, and very simply, that's the point. They're close to each other.

Just as a side point, plenty of people will just book with Ryanair to get to Dusseldorf, because it'll probably be cheaper and plenty of people (not all) won't give too much of a **** that the airport's further out.

But rest assured that Jet2 flying to Dusseldorf from EDI is a highly and deliberately competitive push against the Ryanair Weeze route. There is absolutely no doubt about that. Jet2 have the upper hand, as long as they keep their fares competitive.

1st Oct 2008, 15:37
It would be good to see, it will come down to convenience but also the price and if Ryanair were a heck of alot cheaper people could be persuaded to go to Weeze. Its like in GLA EZY fly to CDG but FR from PIK to Beauvais and Beauvais takes a good few passengers from EZY because of price even though Beauvais is a Tent god know how far north from Paris :)

Hope Jet2 suceed though because FR is a common enemy of mostly all airlines in the UK :)

I know this has been talked about for a long time but do you think a GSM/JET2 merger could ever work?

CAT1 REVERSION
1st Oct 2008, 16:06
Mr @ Spotty M,

You are right, they don't just get ETOPS, infact we have to satisfy the following criteria:

Approval for ETOPS

ETOPS approval is a two-step process. Firstly: the airframe and engine combination must satisfy the basic ETOPS requirements during its type certification. This is called ETOPS type approval. Such tests may include shutting down an engine and flying the remaining engine during the complete diversion time. Often such tests are performed in the middle of the oceans. It must be demonstrated that, during the diversion flight, the flight crew is not unduly burdened by extra workload due to the lost engine and that the probability of the remaining engine failing is extremely remote. For example, if an aircraft is rated for ETOPS-180, it means that it should be able to fly with full load and just one engine for 3 hours.
Secondly: An operator who conducts ETOPS flights must satisfy his own country's aviation regulators about his ability to conduct ETOPS flights. This is called ETOPS operational certification and involves compliance with additional special engineering and flight crew procedures on top of the normal engineering and flight procedures. Pilots and engineering staff must be qualified and trained for ETOPS. An airline with extensive experience operating long distance flights may be awarded ETOPS operational approval immediately, others may need to demonstrate ability through a series of ETOPS proving flights.
Regulators closely watch the ETOPS performance of both type certificate holders and their affiliated airlines. Any technical incidents during an ETOPS flight must be recorded. From the data collected , the reliability of the particular airframe-engine combination is measured and statistics published. The figures must be within limits of type certifications. Of course, the figures required for ETOPS-180 will always be more stringent than ETOPS-120. Unsatisfactory figures would lead to a downgrade, or worse, suspension of ETOPS capabilities either for the type certificate holder or the airline.

As I stated in my earlier post, the ETOPS approval isn't so we can do 4 flights to New York. It will be used as another revenue channel as and when required. We are and do get asked to fly ETOP routes, which without the approval we can not do - consequently turning down lucrative contracts.

I would imagine the approval will open many more doors for Jet2, yes an expensive exercise, but hopefully in the long run with the extremely pro-active charter department at the helm - a lucrative one!:ok:

smudgethecat
1st Oct 2008, 16:14
Without out sourcing their management services and engineering to a decent outfit the chances of jet 2 obtaining ETOPS approval are slim to say the least.

CAT1 REVERSION
1st Oct 2008, 16:29
Without out sourcing you management services and engineering to a decent outfit the chances of jet 2 obtaining ETOPS approval are slim to say the least.

Maybe - but we are going for it, so time will tell. Jet2 isn't the little outfit it was 10 years ago, they have many new faces in many departments. Yes we are still on a very steep learning curve, but there has been a great deal of experience brought in!

An exciting company to work for at the moment, lots of variation such as charters etc.... so I for one am enjoying flying Jet2's aircraft. Long may it continue!!!!:ok:

BALLSOUT
1st Oct 2008, 17:13
Those of you knocking RYR's alternative airports like GRO, NRN, BVA etc etc have no idea.
Apart from the obvious cost savings they offer, they have small, modern terminals that you can pass through in a fraction of the time it takes to get through the majors. the whole experience is so much easier and quicker.
You are also much more likely to meet up with any baggage etc you have checked in, and in half of the time there as well.
If you travel on one of the bus services they are easy to find and run in line with the aircraft schedules. car hire is normaly cheap, easy to find, and the roads in and out easily navigated.
Traveling as SLF through a large airport is a nightmare these days, even if you are a seasoned traveller.
I was down in GRO a few weeks ago, The road signs say Barcelona Gerona Airport, so I guess you need to tell the Spanish they don't know where Barcelona is!

Mr @ Spotty M
1st Oct 2008, 17:46
"CAT1 REVERSION", l am not knocking your company, l am just trying to point out you did not need to arrange 4 flights to NYC to get your ETOPS approval.
You could have applied for it and when approved started to sell your product for those longhaul charters that are out there.
I know once the flights were set up it was the kick that was needed to get the ball rolling for ETOPS approval and the winglet mod on "AB".
You have been operating proving flights on your TFS type routes with the CAA if l am correct.
Yes l agree the 4 flights were all that was planned but they have not gone that well in the market and so that is it for know.

robo283
1st Oct 2008, 18:46
"By my argument Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield are not the same place at all. They're in close proximity though, and very simply, that's the point. They're close to each other."

Thanks Harrogate (or should I in the spirit of FR call you 'York'?).

I wonder how FR will market LBIA abroad? Manchester (Leeds Bradford) perhaps? They might even go for Newcastle-Teesside-Doncaster-Sheffield-Barnsley-Liverpool-Manchester-Woodford-Humberside-Leeds-Bradford in order to catch the market for the whole of the North of England. At least with Jet2.com you know with a reasonable degree of certainty where the crew intends to take you :cool:

harrogate
1st Oct 2008, 20:02
They'll likely big up the general Yorkshire thing if they were to push it abroad. But then the airport and their partners do that themselves already. The 'York to Mayorka' promo on the LBIA homepage is proof enough of that.

I imagine 'Leeds/Bradford' suits Ryanair fine. It already names two places.

CAT1 REVERSION
1st Oct 2008, 20:27
"CAT1 REVERSION", l am not knocking your company,

No worries, I didn't think you were.

Fully agree with what you have said. I beleive that the NY flights were always designed as a target and test bed. Having said that, as you point out, they haven't sold too well - hence company employees being offered discounted fares!!!

Now upto the commercial department and beancounters to sell the capability once/if approved.!!:ok:

King Halibut
2nd Oct 2008, 09:25
The goal isn't to fly a load of yorkshire trash to NY to buy a half priced ipod.
It's for other routes that charter might bring and we have a full programme in Winter!

harrogate
2nd Oct 2008, 09:35
I was wondering how to sum it up in a few eloquent words.

Bang on, Mr Halibut.

wawkrk
2nd Oct 2008, 10:05
Her indoors and sprog on the second flight with full monty service.
There I was thinking we are posh.

BigT2207
2nd Oct 2008, 10:05
I see Jet2 has added Manchester to Rhodes for summer 2009

Johnny F@rt Pants
2nd Oct 2008, 10:35
And Dubrovnik and Newquay from Belfast:ok:, at the expense of the Barcelona route which is now withdrawn for S09.

BombardierCR7
2nd Oct 2008, 12:40
and Leeds - Newquay aswell

CAT1 REVERSION
2nd Oct 2008, 15:35
The goal isn't to fly a load of yorkshire trash to NY to buy a half priced ipod.

King Halibut and Harrogate,

Please remember, these people you refer to as "trash" pay our wages...:ugh:

retrosgone
2nd Oct 2008, 16:23
Newquay - fabulous! Better get some practice on good old St Mawgan's 9000ft wide and 300ft long runway. Quite similar to LBA in many ways now I come to think of it - but with the added fun of being tempted to flare while still 50 feet up.

flybar
2nd Oct 2008, 16:41
Belfast based aircraft operating a W pattern to LBA

robo283
2nd Oct 2008, 18:13
How many surfboards can you carry in a 733?:confused:

Yeadon Dam
2nd Oct 2008, 19:11
Probably more than a DH8/300.

Jamesair
3rd Oct 2008, 00:05
Newcastle doesn't seem to appear in any of the latest spate of new route announcements this week.

Is anything else in prospect?....Cork confirmed for summer 09 but reduced to 2 per week..Fri and Sun

tonker
3rd Oct 2008, 08:50
Newcastle news soon. Big bods there yesterday.

Please Newquay

Jet22
3rd Oct 2008, 16:34
NQY-LBA wont effect the the NQY-LBA (via BRS) service by southwest infact only add an additional service on Sundays/Wenesdays during the Summer. The Flight on Sundays Is Late Afternoon/Evening flight, while the Wenesday Flight is around an around mid day flight (IE Takes Off NQY 1130 Landning 1225 Takes Off 1255 lands 1400).

Dash-7 lover
4th Oct 2008, 10:01
From 1st Dec 'St Mawgan' officially becomes 'Newquay Airport' and changes from EGDG to EGHQ.

King Halibut
4th Oct 2008, 11:32
Cat1 Revulsion, feel free to take them out for a chip supper then!

Setel Up
4th Oct 2008, 18:51
Well done to PM for having the vision to sponsor the collars of the Leeds RLFC shirts.

Lots of Jet2 free advertising tonight on Sky Sports during the after match player interviews with the victorious team.

:ok:

lbalad
5th Oct 2008, 08:24
From reading the various forums on here,it appears that Jet2 have picked up quite a few charter flights due to XL's demise.

I think EMA & BRS to SSH for starters.Anybody got a list of the extra flights they have picked up for the winter season and beyond.

Have booked to go to SSH from LBA in feb myself,as its a new destination from my local airport!.

freightdoggy dog
5th Oct 2008, 11:03
Everyone left is cherry picking Lbalad.

BRS-CMF is another Jet2.cong winter schedule, along with the STN/LGW-AGP Audi Charters in October, picked up from the fallout

CAT1 REVERSION
5th Oct 2008, 16:59
King Halibutt(head),

I expected nothing less:}!!!!

Fish, Chips and mushy peas actually........Are you not a Northerner?

King Halibut
7th Oct 2008, 13:37
Beef dripping on the chips :yuk:

karlee alpha
7th Oct 2008, 17:40
King Halibut, your reference to 'Yorkshire trash' repulses me, it makes me realise that although you are officially classed as adult you still are and i expect always will be a child. If you dont like Yorkshire then please dont come here and stick to your pathetic life where ever you come from!:mad:

Mr.Brown
7th Oct 2008, 20:16
King Halibut, your reference to 'Yorkshire trash' repulses me, it makes me realise that although you are officially classed as adult you still are and i expect always will be a child. If you dont like Yorkshire then please dont come here and stick to your pathetic life where ever you come from!

That would be a bite then!

loobysue
8th Oct 2008, 12:42
has there been problems in jet2 securing fuel?,

just a thread on another site has caught my eye

smudgethecat
8th Oct 2008, 12:54
I was talking to a bowser driver at LGW yesterday and he claimed that his company is demading payment before uplifting fuel, the reason he gave was "theres a rumour jet 2 are in trouble "which is as far as i know untrue, and if a fuel company is actually doing this based purely on rumour then there behaving in a very irresponsible mannner

Leodis
8th Oct 2008, 14:02
Pair of scare mongers. :=

"I was talking to a bowser driver at LGW" - I forgot, Jet2 have a big operation there.

"thread on another site" - You must be in the know then. :}

loobysue
8th Oct 2008, 14:10
sorry i dont regard myself as scaremonger,

i just asked a simple question on here, i have not cast doubt on Jet2 but when i saw this statement on another site i thought i would ask here because i knew would get a straight answer here, sorry if you think i was out of order asking this

smudgethecat
8th Oct 2008, 14:48
You were not out of order, its a rumour website, hence rumours actually get posted, as for my post dont shoot the messenger , im only stating the fact that a certain company are rumoured to be demanding payment for fuel up front from jet 2.

tonker
8th Oct 2008, 15:06
Having just posted half yearly group profits of £30m i'm sure the fuel cards will work.

Jet2 don't fly to LGW anymore so an odd rumour if just because of the geography.

Prophead
8th Oct 2008, 15:08
Im sorry but someone on this thread has been talking a load of untrue & uninformed, b*@#*@#t!

Everyone knows fish & chips are better in Yorkshire!:ok:

Bam Thwok
8th Oct 2008, 15:45
Quoting Smudgetheprat
I was talking to a bowser driver at LGW yesterday and he claimed that his company is demading payment before uplifting fuel, the reason he gave was "theres a rumour jet 2 are in trouble "which is as far as i know untrue, and if a fuel company is actually doing this based purely on rumour then there behaving in a very irresponsible mannner

I put it to you Smudge, that you're the one "behaving in a very irresponsible manner" !

The FACT here is that Jet2 has not operated out of LGW for some time on it's scheduled network !
I'm guessing that the contracted refuelling has probably lapsed and any adhoc charters out of LGW that will require the services of your enlightened bowser friend, will require payment by prior agreement or presentation of the applicable fuel carnet.

Another FACT....I've operated today....and I didn't require a big brown envelope full of cash !!!

JB007
8th Oct 2008, 16:05
http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0018.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-sick-smileys.php)

Everyone knows fish & chips are better in Yorkshire!

Even Harry Ramsden's down south doesn't come close - The Fountain, Yeadon traffic lights - marvellous!!!!!http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/winking/winking0071.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-winking-smileys.php)

Just bite your tongues on the rumours guys...http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0080.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-jumping-smileys.php)

harrogate
8th Oct 2008, 16:38
Thwok speaks the truth.

And damn right they should demand payment up-front too.

It's only the same as if I were to fill up at an Esso garage and tell the bird in the kiosk to 'put it on my card'.

I don't have an Esso card.

But then I think the CCTV footage of a Jet2 drive-off at LGW would be amusing. I think the big 'Jet2' lettering would give it away.

lagerlout
8th Oct 2008, 17:39
so stupid... its just ridiculous, there was recent confusion in LGW regarding a change in the contracted re-fueller .. never has been a paymnet problem... i suggets your bowser friend may have been inhaling to many of the fumes himself!

Ernest Lanc's
8th Oct 2008, 20:07
Everyone knows fish & chips are better in Yorkshire!
No they are not, they are better in Lancashire:p.
i just asked a simple question on here, i have not cast doubt on Jet2 but when i saw this statement on another site i thought i would ask here because i knew would get a straight answer here, sorry if you think i was out of order asking this

Anyone with info from another site should post a link, this should be possible on a v bulletin powered site.

I am an admin on a cricket forum site, and we require links to back up rumours - that way every statement is backed up with a source.

Jet2 are in profit, and should be in no danger at all with profits of £30million, so I would like to read who says different.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
8th Oct 2008, 21:05
So if they link to here, and here links to them it's true?

TartinTon
8th Oct 2008, 22:31
and frankly, anyone who's not in profit to the tune of at least £30m for May - Sep is in a whole heap o' trouble come winter.....

harrogate
8th Oct 2008, 23:03
Nah.

Just jettison a load of staff, or force them to take unpaid holiday, and it's problem solved.

Then simply re-employ them all for less money the following summer, so you can still afford to haul the great unwashed to Marbella for 1p return.

cortilla
9th Oct 2008, 02:33
JB007, I totally agree. The fountain has the most amazing fish and chips that side of Hadrians wall (up here we have a few that are so much nicer. Come do some night cargo and ask for alba d'oro)

As to the rumour that jet2 are paying cash for fuel at LGW, then i hope they give me a big brown envelope as i report later this month, cause with the credit crisis, my barclay card won't take the pounding of several grand, even if i do hold a quick whip around with the pax to top up the cash.

Oh i've heard BA are paying for their fuel at hong kong with flower petals. The bloke at costa coffee told me.

Totally untrue, but why let the truth with no backing get in the way of a good rumour.

Yeadon Dam
9th Oct 2008, 07:12
The best are actually at Murgatroyds in Yeadon. They pack them in by the coach load there. Just like Jet2 do.

We also have the oldest fish and chip shop in the world in Yeadon!!

Bam Thwok
9th Oct 2008, 07:35
Nah.....now you're ALL talking bollox.

You've got to go to the home of deep fat frying for the best Fish & Chips.... that haven of healthy eating.... Scotland !

The Townhead Cafe in Biggar has the best Fish Supper and more to the point, you can get a MEALY PUDDING too !!

harrogate
9th Oct 2008, 08:08
Top 3 chip shops in the UK for you...

1. Steele's Corner House, Cleethorpes.
2. The Jolly Fryer, Ripon.
3. There isn't a third.

Murgatroyd's? Pah!

Nonsense, my man. Nonsense.

Try Steele's before you knock it. Potatoes from Lincs, fish from Grimsby. All on the doorstep. Amazing.

tonker
9th Oct 2008, 08:25
Murgatroyd's are style over substance in my book, the Tutt and Chive pub at the bottom of the hill had bigger better fish, fresher Tartare sauce and friendlier folk(until the friendlier folk ran off with all the pubs cash)

Question...why is it so hard to get a real Kebab in the North ie lots of meat topped with veg IN a pitta bread, as opposed to getting a tray of meat with some veg in the corner then topped with a pitta bread in a toxic tray?:ugh:

ps after visiting Lytham St Annes i can confirm as a poncy southener that Lancashire's fish and chips are the best. But all beat anything that gets shoved in your face near Hadrians wall.

JB007
9th Oct 2008, 08:41
And of course, The Magpie, Whitby! World famous...

New Thread; UK's Fish and Chips -1

touch&go
9th Oct 2008, 09:36
TartinTon

Quote: and frankly, anyone who's not in profit to the tune of at least £30m for May - Sep is in a whole heap o' trouble come winter.....

One would hope that would be the case but my bank made £10 Billion last year and I've just had to lend them £400 Billion.

harrogate
9th Oct 2008, 11:17
HBOS are up 30% this morning.

I'd like to sell the £1800's worth I was given yesterday by the government.

Anyone got a number for Gordon?

Leodis
9th Oct 2008, 13:27
I've got to admit that Yeadon does have the best Fish & Chip shops in the world.

tonker
9th Oct 2008, 14:14
You have never been here then....

http://www.rickstein.com/Steins-Fish-and-Chips.html:ok:

wawkrk
9th Oct 2008, 14:43
Murgatroyd's for sure.Huge quantities are prepared but fantastic quality control.Lancashire name and made in Yorkshire.Fish so white you need to wear shades.
I remember a few years ago reading that somebody,pilots I think,they used to zip up to Bryans at Headingley from the airport and fly the fish and chips back to London.
Well at least I got the thread back onto aviation.
Flying fish I suppose.

harrogate
9th Oct 2008, 14:50
Bryan's is awful though, innit? The most sorry looking pathetic fish fillets I've ever seen. They're always really flat too, like they've been smashed with a rolling pin to make them look bigger.

And the price! Ridiculous.

In short Bryan - f*ck off, son.

Brett's in Headingley has gone downhill, but it still cacks on Bryan's.

True Blue
9th Oct 2008, 15:17
Is this a rumour thread about Jet2 or a discussion forum about fish & chip shops in the Yorkshire area? If the latter, i'm obviously on the wrong site.

True Blue

Frankfurt_Cowboy
9th Oct 2008, 15:27
For that neck of the woods I've got to agree with the Fountain, Harry Murgs is OK if you're eating in with the pensioners, but for taking away you've got to cross the road. The big place at White Cross is still worth a trip now and again, can't beat HQ.

harrogate
9th Oct 2008, 15:30
I once had a tuna sandwich on a Jet2 flight. And mighty fine it was too.

Hopefully this post will form a useful stepping stone back to the topic, whilst acknowledging the fishy nature of recent posts.

Prophead
9th Oct 2008, 15:45
How about 'Mucky Franks' in Baildon. Those were the days. a free bag of chips for taking as many newspapers as you could carry.

loobysue
9th Oct 2008, 17:44
do they still do fish and scraps up in yorkshire, we used to love going to the old and original Harry Ramsdens for fish and scraps , many many years ago, infact probably about 28 yrs back. omg i am so old now, can they liquidize my fish and scraps

Ernest Lanc's
9th Oct 2008, 20:57
ps after visiting Lytham St Annes i can confirm as a poncy southener that Lancashire's fish and chips are the best.[...] But all beat anything that gets shoved in your face near Hadrians wall.
Well follow the link below for the best fishnchips in England, and if you might be glad to know (or not) that a Southern Chippy comes 3rd.

1) Lancashire

2) Derbyshire

3) Croydon

click here for best fish and chips (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4670504.stm) in England
Solved.
harrogate must not be in financial difficulties if he could afford a tuna sandwich on a Jet2 flight.

There you go True Blue, back onto Jet2 with a rumour that they sell affordable tuna butties:p.

ClintonBaptiste
9th Oct 2008, 21:01
Drake's in ****ley ( Sorry, Shipley!) do some nice fish and chips too. Murgy's is too expensive and is hit or miss - depends on which Pole is cooking.

However they do need to cook the chips in Beef Dripping - oh yes!
Unfortunately, I now live in Spain, so can no longer have proper fish and chips.

Are the Madrid flights gonna be operating again next summer? Hope so or I'll be going around the ruddy houses to get back home. I understand the loads have been pretty good.

Why do airlines decide to totally stop flights to destinations once it gets to winter - surely the a/c would be full if they flew once or twice a week.

Ernest Lanc's
9th Oct 2008, 21:20
You can get fish and chips in Spain as good as in England. When I say Spain I mean Palma Nova which boasts several good fish and chips shops, unlike the Costa Del Sol.

Jet2 as far as I can see have not got any schedule for Madrid on their website for next summer as yet, unlike for the Costas - But they must fly to Spain's capital.

As far as destinations are concerned, at Blackpool jet2 stop all the Costa and Balearic Island destinations, except Alicante - but start a once a week to Tenerife and Geneva.

I for one would not want to go to the Costa Brava in the depth of winter, maybe to Benalmadena though or some similar destination.

Good luck getting back from Madrid, doubt you will need it though.

commit aviation
9th Oct 2008, 21:58
Not so sure - Unless there is another aeroplane hiding in the wings there doesn't appear to be sufficient gaps to operate MAD or VLC next year :{

JB007
10th Oct 2008, 02:33
Ok, back on topic..."Whetherby Whaler" has never let me down! And yep, scraps are still available...went there with a mate who flies for Jet2 if that counts...

Bob_Harris_721
10th Oct 2008, 07:26
The "Wetherby Whaler" was placed there by the gods specifically for the benefit of crews positioning between Manchester/Liverpool and Newcastle/Teeside - it has never let me down either. There was a dodgy moment when someone built a bypass, but crews still found it okay.

N707ZS
10th Oct 2008, 11:30
Sounds like a business opportunity here pre book your fish and chips on-line and have them served up just after take off.
Good old Yorkshire folk sat in flat caps munching away, can you imagine what the cabin would smell like! Never mind grease and curry sauce down the seats!:}

Come on Jet 2 get the chips in its Friday!

JB007
10th Oct 2008, 12:50
Starting to sound like a famous Hale and Pace Sketch...Upgrade to "Alan Bennett Class"...

757flyer
10th Oct 2008, 15:45
YouTube - Yorkshire Airlines (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg)

BYALPHAINDIA
10th Oct 2008, 16:58
Brilliant.:D:D:D:D

BYALPHAINDIA
10th Oct 2008, 17:00
Leeds Bradford International Airport - Except for the International bit!!

:D:D

Lucky Strike
11th Oct 2008, 10:30
The "Wetherby Whaler" was placed there by the gods specifically for the benefit of crews positioning between Manchester/Liverpool and Newcastle/Teeside

And was far more popular with coachloads of drunken football supporters. If the 'toon' had lost at Elland Road, first stop was the Whaler for a fish supper, eight pints, a sing song and then a spot of Yorkie bashing.

The pubs used to shut all their front doors; the yobbos didn't have the wit to find the back doors to the pubs. Saturday night for the locals in Wetherby was flitting between the Crown, the Red Lion, the Three Legs et al, entering and exiting via side doors, dodging drunken yobs intent on beating any local senseless!

SCANDIC
11th Oct 2008, 12:43
Does anybody know if G-LSAD will ever get the full paint job:ok:

lbalad
11th Oct 2008, 12:51
All this talk of fish and chips is making me hungry!.

I see the Jet2.com website now says"Est 1978,flying high for 30 years".

Do you think this is a move by Jet2 to try and bolster the public's confidence into booking with them,given the rumours recently that were recently going around about their likely demise?.

I've put nearly £600 into Jet2's coffers,with 2 seats to Sharm el Sheikh in Feb from LBA.

robo283
11th Oct 2008, 20:16
Why shouldn't they celebrate 30 years? Jet2.com is a development of Channex rather than a 2003 start-up. The operation has been running 30 years and that is well worth celbrating :ok:

TartinTon
11th Oct 2008, 21:08
Hahahaha!!! The guys at Monarch will be touched by the flattery as they've had their 40 year celebratory stuff up for some months

robo283
12th Oct 2008, 07:07
Well done Monarch! In my IT charter days we used to poke fun at Monarch because they had...er....a fleet of older aircraft which they had paid for and everybody expected them to go bust the whole time. I'm glad they are still there. My employer, with its fleet of brand new 737s (and two old A300s admittedly), never made a loss and lasted 8 years before being swallowed up :sad:

lbalad
12th Oct 2008, 20:46
I see on the Jet2 site that the flights are now down to £279 rtn.

Surely they must be able to fill the flights at that price?

BigT2207
13th Oct 2008, 14:13
Jet2 have annouced the flights fro Leeds/Bradford and Manchester to Dalaman every Monday from 18th May until 04 October 2009.

13th Oct 2008, 17:40
Jet2 are certainly expanding considering the economic downturn, would have thought there would be smaller expansion.

take-off
14th Oct 2008, 08:50
So some of the ol' girls must be nearly the same age as the company then???:E:E:p:p
Great flight outa blk the other day again, even if it did feel like we were off-roading down rwy28, certainly is gettin bumpy down towards end where you do 180 turn, shame your not doing more out of blk this winter, but guess considering the economy, its understandle to be cuttin back, still next winter any chance of a differnt canary island destination other than tenerife, and one last question has Jet2 dropped Gran Canaria, from its list of destinations, dnt see it from any base, Or was it just my imagination playing tricks on me .

jet2impress
14th Oct 2008, 10:28
Yeah.... LPA is now longer I am afraid. Think LPA may have worked better in the summer months.

Ernest Lanc's
14th Oct 2008, 22:43
Jet2 #1 UK airline - #2 Europe wide airline. (Short Haul)

Jet2.com Flying High at the Guardian & Observer Travel Awards 2008 (http://www.jet2.com/News.aspx?id=519)

no sponsor
15th Oct 2008, 08:49
Ok, so here's the full article from the Guardian.

I can't seem to see where we got placed second in the European Short Haul, and I can't even find the category of UK Short Haul Airline...

Travel Awards 2008 winners | Travel | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/oct/12/travel-awards2008?page=all)

Does someone have the full results. I was interested to see the contenders.

757 Speedbrakes
15th Oct 2008, 10:23
God, thats the first time I've actually managed to get myself to read an article from the Gordian :}

Doesn't say much about the other airlines if we managed to win that! ;)

spider_man
15th Oct 2008, 14:00
The recent press statement on Jet2 website states its parent company Dart Group Plc made £30 million in 1st half year pre-tax profits, not Jet2.

This figure includes Fowler Welch-Coolchain, a 350 vehicle strong distribution business. It would be interesting to know actual profits for its aviation business.

Also, any news on additional (or replacement) 757s?

A300BOY
15th Oct 2008, 15:43
Dont know about the finacial situation of Jet 2 I suspect few do !
Operational problems with the 757 and the Leeds Cat 3 ILS must be costing them at the moment and will do so during the winter ! Can this not be fixed as we are losing too many flights. The good old B737s of course can Cat 3 so the services operated by them are more likely to make it back to Leeds in our traditional bad weather. My Companies A300 can Cat 2 into Leeds 100ft decision height and 300m rvr limits. Is it not possible for the 757s to be downgraded to Cat 2 for Leeds Ops which would get them home more often and make crew and pax very happy or is the autoland problem a barrier.

harrogate
15th Oct 2008, 16:21
This figure includes Fowler Welch-Coolchain, a 350 vehicle strong distribution business.

... which is just as exposed to the oil price as the airline is.

Haulage is one of the industries that's been worst hit by the higher oil prices in the first 2 quarters.

But the whim of oil prices has largely been covered off contractually across the whole of Dart Group.

Fact is, if you read the statements you'll see that both the airline and FWCC are pulling their weight to varying extents, but the proportion of the total contribution of each company to the overall performance of the main company is bound to spike and wane. That's business.

I imagine those lucrative repatriation contracts arising out of the XL demise will contribute to a spike for Jet2 when actual trading figures are released for this period. Likewise, the current and notable downturn in parts of the fresh food sector may possibly be a hit on FWCC.

757 Speedbrakes
15th Oct 2008, 21:47
Haulage is one of the industries that's been worst hit by the higher oil prices in the first 2 quarters.

The Trading Statement to shareholders reported that fuel was also hedged for the haulage firm :ok:.

Bet poor old XL and co are wishing they were still going now fuel is back at $71 per barrel :ugh:

harrogate
16th Oct 2008, 10:03
The Trading Statement to shareholders reported that fuel was also hedged for the haulage firm

Aye.

That's what I meant when I said that the company's covered itself contractually with regards to oil. Costs are simply passed on, presumably meaning that they apply a flexible surcharge across the haulage business contracts aswell.

Ernest Lanc's
16th Oct 2008, 21:53
I can't seem to see where we got placed second in the European Short Haul, and I can't even find the category of UK Short Haul Airline...

Readers of two national newspapers have voted low-cost airline Jet2.com as the UK’s best short-haul airline.[...] The Yeadon-based company has also been voted the second best European Short-Haul Airline 2008 in the Guardian and Observer national travel awards. [...]Jet2.com fought off stiff competition from both low-cost and traditional rivals flying European routes, including Easyjet and Ryanair.

SOARCE: Airline flies high in survey (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

Also look here (http://www.traveldailynews.com/pages/show_page/27491)

And here (http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/business-news/Jet2com-named-best-shorthaul-airline.4597263.jp) and here (http://www.easier.com/view/Travel/Flights/Jet2/article-209641.html)

Mr.Brown
18th Oct 2008, 08:42
LINK: Airline flies high in survey (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

LINK: Airline flies high in survey (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

Also look here

And here and here

Nice to see so many different reporters with different writting styles on Jet2.com's great award.

Ernest Lanc's
18th Oct 2008, 18:55
I have edited duplicated links from my post Mr Brown, and stand suitably Admonished.
The point I thought was still obvious, and remains the same.

TSR2
24th Oct 2008, 22:59
I see that G-LSAB is now sporting smart winglets.

Ernest Lanc's
24th Oct 2008, 23:06
JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-LSAB (CN: 24136) Jet2.com Boeing 757-27B by Nik French (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6390368)

To be honest I like the Jet2 craft without the winglets, maybe that was because of a bad flight and poor landing on an Airbus.:eek:

plasticAF
24th Oct 2008, 23:13
Not bad 1 minute to midnight and the first picture appears. I won the bet with the engineers
Looks good:ok:

blueplatinum
26th Oct 2008, 15:34
Yeah.... LPA is now longer I am afraid. Think LPA may have worked better in the summer months.
The whole Jet2 / LPA experience was ridiculaous in W07. They announced the routes late and then wondered why the couldn't fill their large aircraft. Most people travelling then had already booked with other carriers. By the time the routes were becoming established, they pulled out.

LPA has only five UK carriers now with not enough seats to go round and ridiculously high seat prices. The four JET2 LPA routes would have been booming now if they had stuck at it.

They better get back in quick before EasyJet expand their routes or Ryan Air and BMI Baby wake up to the opportunity here.

BYALPHAINDIA
26th Oct 2008, 20:14
True, I agree about Jet 2 & LPA.

Think Jet 2 got 2 carried away with TFS to think about LPA??

LPA can be just as profitable as TFS, As you know.

TFS has lost alot of 'Core' UK pax over the last few years, To Egypt & Turkey.

BTW, Have LPA ever reopened the viewing terrace again??

The last time I holidayed there it was closed until further notice - 2005.

I would go 2X a year if they reopen the terrace.

Used to park by the garage on the main highway - GC1??

blueplatinum
27th Oct 2008, 15:53
BTW, Have LPA ever reopened the viewing terrace again??Do you mean the airside roof terrace? It is certainly open but, of course, only open to departing PAX and staff.

I don't know anything about a "spotters" area close to the airport though. As far as I know there is none.

(Sorry to go OT).

Ivan aromer
27th Oct 2008, 16:38
I see the first Jet2 Man-SSH-Man went on time yesterday with, by all acounts, quite a good load. Quite a long day out for the crew though.

busz
27th Oct 2008, 17:01
SSH and back is a VERY long day. Often i go to work at 11am and get home around 3am the next day.... The days off before and after are nice though.

freightdoggy dog
27th Oct 2008, 19:02
EMA-SSH-EMA and BRS-SSH-BRS start next week as well ! Me thinks the crews will enjoy their days off at the uk airport hotels and not the beach in SSH :eek:

BABDUCK
27th Oct 2008, 21:07
FDD, I think you'll find the F/D actually get between 1 & 6 nights in Sharm, depending on which rotation they are operating. Lucky sods.
Not that I'm jealous or anything - just in the wrong job!!!

BD

freightdoggy dog
30th Oct 2008, 07:16
BD, perhaps I should be a little less polite...Fdeck, yep get 6 days to play with 4X4 jeeps in the sandpit , go scuba diving, top up the tan and wear their ray bans, get a dodgy henna tattoo etc....Just like the old Dubai
w-ends on the Airbus..

Fcrew however.. i.e the custard cream chuckers...will enjoy the delights of an Airport Hotel next to the M1 or the little Country Motel next to the truck stop burger bar....or even better....... their own little coach up and down the
M5/M6/M62 !

Maybe I'm in the right job !

Chille Con Carnie
30th Oct 2008, 20:54
Stay on in their FDD

freightdoggy dog
31st Oct 2008, 15:56
Enjoying every minute Chille, Rgds to the Sarthend mafia !

Cliffs End
1st Nov 2008, 08:18
Jet 2 to MSE?

lbalad
1st Nov 2008, 09:39
Ok,I admit I had to look that airport code up!.

MSE-Kent International Airport formerly Manston

What do you mean?,Jet2 to follow in the footsteps of EUJet,and try and make a go from this airport?

757 Speedbrakes
1st Nov 2008, 13:49
As much as I more than anyone wish there was a jet2 base south of the watford gap, it ain't likely to happen is it!! :ugh:

Especially on the 757. Even having been there a couple of years I'd still be way down on the transfer list!!

The people up'north are lovely but the weather does your head in! :{

freightdoggy dog
2nd Nov 2008, 00:35
Speed... there's a Jet2 station, but not a base... south of Watford Gap.
Ufortunately it aint your type !

Why not badger crewing about a couple of BRS rotations this winter.... as long as you remember to take yer wellies when sailing in the Red sea !!

I think Cliff edge has got his knickers in a twist when he saw a Jet2 757 in MSE last week.....they were bringing back 2 Para from Helmund alwight.

757 Speedbrakes
2nd Nov 2008, 12:16
I know, I didn't even bother asking for the SSH, looks like I'll have to be content with my one flight in November and just glad we still got a job!! :zzz:

Gives me more time to enjoy breeding whipets and racing pigeons!! :hmm:

Chille Con Carnie
2nd Nov 2008, 21:13
How cost affective is the Wing-lets mod on a old airframe. ?

No RYR for me
3rd Nov 2008, 07:19
If Jet2 puts them on believe me that it is cost effective. They are a sharp bunch! :ok:

Squark7000
3rd Nov 2008, 08:33
Winglets are just as effective on an airframe of any age.
On a 757-200 the fuel saving on sectors above around 1500 n miles is
about 4 to 5%. The price of fuel is the biggest factor in the time it takes
to get your money back. When the winglets were first introduced, fuel
was cheaper then it is now, and the winglet manufactures were claiming
a payback time of around 3 years.
Winglets also are a great help at the extremes of the range of an aircraft,
such as Leeds - NewYork, enabling a few extra tonnes of payload to be
loaded.
So all in all, if an aircraft has around 3 years of life left in it, and doesn't
spend all it's time on very short sectors, it is worth while fitting winglets.

Ivan aromer
3rd Nov 2008, 08:35
Ok if winglets do reduce the fuel burn why then did are they not using it/them on the routes to SSH ex Man?

freightdoggy dog
3rd Nov 2008, 09:35
Give em a chance Ivan, AB only came out 10 days ago with them fitted, 2nd one is in the hangar now...not like getting the old exhaust changed at Kwik Fit now is it !

757 Speedbrakes
3rd Nov 2008, 11:43
No it isn't!! :eek:

Because of structual problems with the very first winglets a few years ago the wing spar has to be strenthend and almost the entire wing has to be removed...... still worth it in the end.

Remember, its not only the fuel savings and extra payload capacity, it adds a nice ammount to the aircraft's value and hence the balance sheet!! :D