PDA

View Full Version : IREX - Same Same, or different??

baffler15
2nd Feb 2007, 04:23
G'day Pruners,

I'm thinking about sitting the CASA IREX, and was wondering - is it the same as the fixed wing exam, or is it different?

Haven't done a whole lot of research on the topic yet, but any info or hints would be much appreciated.

The Baffler

movin' up
2nd Feb 2007, 04:39
No distinction between (a) or (h) on this one, everyone sits the same exam. Be prepared for a test of your knowledge and comprehension of the English language as opposed to your understanding of the instrument flight rules.

robsrich
3rd Feb 2007, 20:23
Although the study references on the market are good, and the syllabus is reasonable; the examination is dificult because of the poor English expression, double meanings and trick questions. (More than one right answer, just one is more correct than the other, etc.....).

I have had recent experience training some overseas students with excellent English and a sound knowledge of the subject; however, the confusing questions (English expression) slows them down to a point where they cannot make the 70% pass mark.

So best of luck........don't panic if you miss the first exam - just 3.5 hours wasted. Most get it on the second run at the goal posts.

paul abersynth
3rd Feb 2007, 21:11
Rob,

Are you conducting any courses in the near future? I had 2 attempts at this one in the mid 90's when the pass mark was a little higher and got so despondent, I never tried again.

PA

robsrich
3rd Feb 2007, 23:36
Paul,

Once upon a time the CASA pass mark was 80%. Maybe you were in this group. After such a low pass rate at that time, the people in Canberra thought 70% was a better way to go. It has been 70% ever since.

I really believe they should base the exam on an actual flight plan, with questions in the sequence of what you would actually do on the day as a pilot.

PM for the other info.

Paul please don't give up, it does feel so goood when you crack the jackpot........

movin' up
4th Feb 2007, 00:36
Try here

http://www.bobtait.com.au/irexintropage.htm

or

http://www.bobtait.com.au/irex306photos.htm

Fareastdriver
9th Feb 2007, 14:25
I had to do the irex a couple of years ago for my Australian ATPL. It was straightforward enough apart from the stupid questions about flight and duty limitations. Other countries do run a flight sequence for an exam but it does not allow the examiner sufficient variation on his questions. In real life if you foul up the first stage ATC will query it and you can correct it and start again. On a sequencial exam if you trip over the first hurdle you demolish the rest. Like the FAA exam it is practice the questions, practice the questions, practice the questions.