PDA

View Full Version : Indonesia AirCarriers

knma'91
2nd Feb 2007, 04:23
Hey all, I am planning a trip from Jakarta to Bali Indonesia. My question to you all is what is best airline to fly down there? I am looking more towards safety than service. Thanks for the help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Andrew

Tyre kicker
2nd Feb 2007, 08:38
Got to be garuda anything else really is would be :eek:

knma'91
3rd Feb 2007, 04:14
Thanks, Garuda was my first and only choice.

Rush2112
5th Feb 2007, 00:32
You might want to consider paying the relatively small amount extra to book business class: Garuda have a habit of overbooking economy and bumping people off so that hi-sos can get on. Would never happen to a business class passenger but I know plenty of people it happened to in economy. Also, DPS is a hole of an airport and very few places for people to wait in comfort (which could be a while!), but at least the lounge is adequate.

alangirvan
5th Feb 2007, 05:48
Air Asia operates in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia, and they do have flights between Jakarta and Bali three times daily. I do not know anyone who have flown on their Indonesian operation, but people give fair reports of their Malaysian and Thai ops. See their website.

ZFT
5th Feb 2007, 06:04
There are some quite different reports as well.

casual
5th Feb 2007, 09:18
Last weekend I flew with Lion Air but that because someone else was paying. If me, then Garuda...

priapism
6th Feb 2007, 00:38
Safer to swim I reckon

doublekite
5th Mar 2007, 19:28
I have booked Air Asia for July from Jakarta to Bali, and have no quarms about this. We are travelling for about £95 return for two people, Garuda want twice this. Three flights a day between Jakarta and Bali with Air Asia flying 737-300 and Airbus A320. They are the best low cost carrier in Asia. Under no circumstances go with AdamAir. Accident record dreadful.

www.airasia.com (http://www.airasia.com)

Avman
7th Mar 2007, 09:28
Well, I guess you can knock GARUDA off the list now! I'd say try and avoid flying with any Indonesian carriers at the moment. There is obviously a very serious safety problem in that country.

priapism
7th Mar 2007, 10:44
refer to post#8

mutt
8th Mar 2007, 05:45
doublekite...

Not trying to worry you, but Air Asia Indonesia is a local company that was taken over by Air Asia about a year ago....... Before that it was called either AWAIR or STAR AIR.

Mutt

pacer142
8th Mar 2007, 07:10
Not trying to worry you, but Air Asia Indonesia is a local company that was taken over by Air Asia about a year ago....... Before that it was called either AWAIR or STAR AIR.

It's worth being aware that standards vary between the parts of Air Asia. A few months ago I did KUL-BKK with Thai Air Asia, and back on a "mainline" Malaysian Air Asia aircraft.

The difference was noticeable - the former was an obviously ageing 737-300 with tatty seats, a number of lights not working, lots of rattles and rubbish/cleaning materials piled against the exit doors, while the service felt quite amateurish. Not necessarily unsafe, indeed I have no reason to believe it was any less safe than (say) KLM's ageing -300s bar the blocked exit door, but it did have a third-world feel about it. The return was a brand-new Airbus A319 (or A320, one or t'other) which was spotlessly clean, and operated in a far more professional manner.