PDA

View Full Version : ICAO or JAA ATPL The ultimate question!!

Conners1981
1st Feb 2007, 16:51
Hi All,

I am a 25 year old Australian with a PPL (A). I have moved to London with my partner who is set in a really good job here and she wants to stay!

I have decided after years of job hopping, that I want to be a career pilot. I have been reading many of the forums and feeding off the advice of others about how to approach my training. At this stage I am not sure whether to stay in the UK and do the Bristol ATPL DL or go back to Australia and do the ICAO ATPL theory.

I really want to stay close to my partner and don't really want to head back to Australia to complete my training, but I am torn between what is the better option for me in the long run. An ICAO ATPL or a JAR ATPL?

Do the airlines care about nationality? or is it about experience? (mind you I have a UK Ancestry Visa)

I would appreciate any advise from people that may have been in a similar situation before.

Cheers

Conners :ok:

Bealzebub
1st Feb 2007, 17:09
There is no such thing as an ICAO PPL, CPL or ATPL. The International Civil Aviation Organisation does not issue licences. Most countries with state or joint state authority that do, are already accredited and in conformity with the ICAO. If you want to convert your licence from that issued or validated by one country to another, you will need to contact that countries aviation authority for the terms it deems sufficient to satisfy its own requirements.

From the ICAO website :

"ICAO does not issue any licences. Licences issued by ICAO Contracting States on the basis of Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing, are habitually called ICAO licences. This has led many to believe that there is a specific ICAO or international licence. The fact is that there is not one single international licence issued by ICAO or any other organization. States issue their own licences based on national regulations in conformity with Annex 1 specifications and validate licences issued by other Contracting States on the basis of bilateral or multilateral agreements or the fulfilment of nationally legislated requirements.

Conners1981
1st Feb 2007, 17:24
Cheers mate,

It is an Australian issued PPL (A).

:ok: