PDA

View Full Version : SAVE MONEY, Use Vista Update instead of the 'full' version

terryJones
1st Feb 2007, 11:49
Hi.
I read, from a most reliable source, that the Vista Update does not take the previous version CD as proof, like the old 95, 98, and millenium updates did.
It needs to be put into a drive with a working kosher version of XP.. OR DOES IT
It seems that you can save upwards of 100$ by buying the upgrade, depending on home, ultimate or what, even if you are putting into a NEW, CLEAN machine. Here's the HOW.
If you have a new clean drive, boot the machine from the DVD. Select Install Now, but DO NOT ENTER the magic numbers. Select the version, Home, Ultimate, or what have you, and check advanced, NOT UPGRADE.
You then let the beast do it's thing, rebooting and all as Windoze does, until finished.
At this point you may think you could just activate it. WRONG. You must run SETUP.EXE from the DVD again.
This time tell it to install, BUT DO NOT get the updates yet.
Enter the Product code, turn off ACTIVATE , and tell it to Upgrade.
When installed enter any passwords and names you used on the first install, and there you are.
As per, you must activate withing 30 days or it pops its clogs again. You can then get all the updates downloaded/installed.
The important thing for people with scruples, this is LEGITIMATE. It just uses a Windoze loophole.

EVEN CHEAPER< find someone who can get the educational discounted version...

Devlin Carnet
1st Feb 2007, 14:02
EVEN CHEAPER < Dont buy it at all.

BEagle
1st Feb 2007, 14:13
EVEN CHEAPER STILL< Report any attempt to defraud Microsoft to them and claim a reward.......

But I'd go along with Devlin's advice!

terryJones
1st Feb 2007, 14:57
Where's your problem BEagle.
It uses a legitimate copy of Vista, and a software 'window' built into the operating system. If they did not intend it to be used, then for the rip-off price in the first instance, THEIR Problem...
I mean, $380 for Vista Ultimate... That equates to Two Hours in a C152...
At least I didn't suggest www.Warze.con.

Mac the Knife
1st Feb 2007, 16:56
MS haven't publicised it (for obvious reasons), but it seems to be legal.

Paul Thurrott wrote about it on WindowsITPro - http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/95011/95011.html?Ad=1 - and since he is the ultimate MS shill, who wouldn't pass wind without MSs' approval, it's likely legit.

See also - http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37366

But I don't see many reasons, apart from masochism, for installing this expensive, buggy, bloated, DRM-ridden piece of beta software.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Feb 2007, 17:27
EVEN CHEAPER < Dont buy it at all.
Indeed. If you want to run an illegal copy, why not just download it from somewhere or pick it up at a car boot sale for a lot less than the price of an upgrade?

Mac the Knife
7th Feb 2007, 18:05
MS are well aware of this loophole but do not plan to close it.

"People without a licensed copy of XP that use this workaround are violating the terms of use agreed to when they purchased the upgrade version of Windows Vista," a Microsoft spokesman told vnunet.com (http://www.vnunet.com/).

"As such, we believe only a very small percentage of people will take the time to implement this workaround, and we encourage all customers to follow our official guidelines for upgrading to Windows Vista."

Microsoft added that it does not have any plans to disable the workaround at this time.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2174211/microsoft-won-patch-vista

The enthusiasm greeting the eventual release of Vista is somewhat muted, to say the least.

By winking at this unofficial upgrade path MS are desperately hoping to increase the sluggish uptake of their latest games-unfriendly, DRM-ridden behemoth.

"Then, slowly, and with hardly a whisper of sound... out of the huge cleft in the mountain peak there slowly emerged... a tiny little mouse." Aesop

Cypherus
18th Feb 2007, 08:46
With only the Enterprise version of Vista having all the whistles and bells and the home version only five of them, most already implemented as updates for XP, Vista has been noted on many forums as being only a warmed over version of XP in all but it's top end release.

Opinion: Stick with XP for as long as the support makes it worth while, currently five more years, and save the money for another day.

Inverted81
21st Feb 2007, 14:08
Hi all,
I bought the home premium upgrade the other week, to update an authentic XP installation.
I had read many a forum about the pro's and cons of the new OS, but decided to go for it anyway. either way i could always reverse the installation if all went tits up.
After 2 weeks of use, i can honestly say that my pc has not been more stable, and how shall we say, responsive. I am by no means an expert but what i can gather, is that the system i.e. the OS now uses more of the system RAM to run the OS. This in turn allows windows to load up its own progs and apps, MUCH more quickly. With regard to other software, all i use usually is a heavily customised FS2004. Again, all running fine, if not better.
Only issues i have had has been with my soundcard manufacturer CREATIVE who haven't bothered to release a public release set of drivers that actually work with VISTA. They have had nearly 5 years to come up with something but hey ho.
:ugh:

ORAC
21st Feb 2007, 17:08
You can buy a full copy OEM copy of Vista Ultimate for $199/126 pounds STG anyway, cheaper than the retail Upgrade version.

(And MS have said they are happy about that as well - the sales must really really be bad...)

Spitoon
21st Feb 2007, 21:01
But if I understand correctly, the OEM version can only be installed on one machine....ever (i.e. tied to that hardware). Presumably it won't let you activate the OS on a different machine.

Can't remember where I read this - maybe even here on Pprune.

ORAC
21st Feb 2007, 23:36
No, the OEM version can be installed on any machine, the same as the full cost version, you just don't get the manual - but you do get the DVD which is more than those buying a preloaded PC get.

MS: It's Okay to Buy Vista OEM Software (http://www.betanews.com/article/MS_Its_Okay_to_Buy_Vista_OEM_Software/1170100341)

BEagle
23rd Feb 2007, 17:00
Is anyone bothering with Vista?

Seems a total waste of time and money to me.......

selfin
23rd Feb 2007, 17:06
I'm afraid I'm in a long-term relationship with Ubuntu.

airborne_artist
2nd Mar 2007, 08:39
I won't be upgrading after reading this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6407419.stm). Took him several days to get back full functionality after upgrading from XP, and he still can't sync his PDA....

Stoney X
2nd Mar 2007, 13:15
Is anyone bothering with Vista?
Yup, me. I needed a legal copy of windows os and didn't see the point of buying an XP license when the new os is availabe, so I shelled out £55 for the OEM Basic Vista edition. The maching in question isn't super-duper enough for the non-basic edition. I had to remove the 'XP' version of Norton stuff from my PC first and then Vista upgraded fine. I must say I rather like it. It has a nice feel to the interfaces. And that's coming from somebody who has Suse and Fedora running on dust ridden boxes in the anorak cupboard.

Regards

Parapunter
2nd Mar 2007, 14:19
Me, I bought vista.
I'm a fan of media centre & now instead of six or seven clunky boxes in the corner of my living room, I now have one of these winking at me...
http://i14.tinypic.com/2uf7g2a.jpg
..and one remote control for TV, Videos, DVD's, Pictures, 700 albums, a constantly updated tv guide & more besides. Vista ain't perfect - ask anyone who has a creative soundcard & you'll soon see why, but it's more intuitive than XP, definitely more stable & improvements in DX10 are worth the money on their own. So the usual crowd can thumb their noses at MS & blather on about Linux & Unbuntu, but I'll paddle Bill's canoe very happily thank you. Oh & I bought Vista home premium OEM for 60 sheets & you won't find that hard to hunt down either.