View Full Version : INVERNESS

captainyonder
1st Feb 2007, 11:26
Quite a lot happening at the Highlands capital airport at the moment. Ryanair to start a daily East Midlands service from the 26th in addition to the Liverpool service they already operate. Aer Arann shortly to start a Dublin service and Flybe have recently started a BHD service.

Discuss....

Richard Taylor
1st Feb 2007, 12:19
Any rumoured links to continental europe?

INV used to have AMS & ARN that I remember.

larshakan
1st Feb 2007, 14:33
wasn't EMA-INV supposed to be thrice weekly?

DB6
1st Feb 2007, 15:56
They'd better carry plenty holding fuel :E .

Cubanate
1st Feb 2007, 16:48
Aer Arann operating INV-DUB for sometime now. Was a rumour of INV-Germany, but it's gone quiet

virginblue
1st Feb 2007, 17:28
ARN - INV was a very short-lived route. I think SAS/Snowflake only operated a couple of flights before the route was axed for good.

flyer55
1st Feb 2007, 18:50
Any news about the INV - LGW route from BACX ?

Cubanate
4th Feb 2007, 09:38
The deal between Flybe and BA Connect is not yet concluded, but should be soon. Read somewhere that Flybe want to start operating the route on 25 March. Don't know who's handling them though

Feet on ground
10th Feb 2007, 13:59
The INV-LGW flights exist in the BA reservations system until the end of the summer programme, but not into the winter.

Is there any certainty that BE will take on the route?

manx crab
11th Feb 2007, 16:26
It looks the as though all BACON flights stop at the end of the summer schedule on the BA booking system.
They will have to hurry through the takeover then.:E

thebeehive
11th Feb 2007, 16:35
BA want to either keep hold on LGW-INV or if lost to BE then look into operating their own LGW-INV services, IOM is not of interest to BA once the whole BACON/BE move occurs.

Feet on ground
16th Feb 2007, 06:41
It doesn't make sense for BA to have stopped selling LGW-INV from the end of the sumer if they want to maintain the route, does it?

Kidderminster Kid
10th Mar 2007, 21:07
I used the new Ryanair service EMA - INV - EMA ast week and found that Inverness was barely able to cope the numbers of Pax within the terminal.

My wife flew INV - EMA last Friday, 30 minutes waiting at check-in, followed by an horrendous queue at security - during which they had to call forward the Ryanair Pax to the head of the queue. Otherwise the flight would have got off even later than it did, 25 minutes late as it was. The arriving Ryanair flight was on time.

The logistics of INV just do not seem to be able to cope with the increased numbers of departing PAX that 2 x Easy Jets and a Ryanair flight generate.

chrism20
10th Mar 2007, 22:13
I think the problem is that the LTN goes out at 1450 and the EMA at 1505, quickly followed by the LGW at 1545.

Check in at times can be slow especially with FR, I always feel that this is due to people not having booked bags online etc and then having to pay for them etc.

I have always found security at INV to be swift, admitedly I haven't been through the airport at that time since the EMA service started. The majority of hold ups are caused once again by the pax who are asked 'does your bag contain any liquids or sharp objects?', the pax replies 'no' and the scanner starts beeping like hell!

Single Spey
11th Mar 2007, 08:19
I have never yet seen both security scanners open at INV even when there have been very long waiting times (>30mins). When asked about this it is because they don't have enough staff.

Trouble is that even then the departure lounge can't cope with the number of pax for more than two BA/RYR/EZY flights and a couple of EASTERNs. Maybe they are slowing passengers at Security to reduce congestion in the dep lounge?:)

Egbert Bear
22nd Mar 2007, 12:09
With the takeover of Bacon by Flybe now complete and the summer schedules now released, can anyone explain why Flybe have reduced the INV-LGW flights to just two on Saturdays. With the 'Highland 2007' year getting into it's stride, already accommodation providers in Inverness and the Highlands are saying that there is going to be a dire shortage of beds come the summer and some weeks are already fully booked. With the expected influx of visitors due this summer it seems madness to reduce capacity on the busiest day of the week. In contrast EasyJet have increased their flights from LTN-INV to two a day on Saturdays.
Maybe nobody told the Flybe management about 'Highland 2007'

EB

niknak
22nd Mar 2007, 12:16
I don't know the definitive answer, but it's probably got a lot to do with Flybe being a low - cost airline.

All their aircraft working at maximum capacity and the fact that it makes commercial sense to operate their aircraft full to overflowing twice a day, rather than half or two thirds full 3 times a day.
That said, if they thought there was the commercial justifcation to operate a third sector, they would do it.

WHBM
22nd Mar 2007, 12:43
Easy have taken quite a bit of the leisure market on London to Inverness. The BA route retains much of the business traffic, mainly due to its better timings morning and evening. It is normal on a UK business route for Saturday to be the quietest day and to have a reduced service. I would guess the BA loads are thin on that day nowadays.

The days when the full service could be maintained at weekends was before Easyjet and BMI came onto the route. There has actually been a huge increase in London to Inverness capacity over the last couple of years.

Wycombe
22nd Mar 2007, 12:59
From 12th May, Flybe have introduced a Saturday pm LGW-EGC (Bergerac) route. Looking at the timings, which seem to fit, perhaps this is what the A/C is doing before it returns to INV?

ATIS31
24th Mar 2007, 20:38
What Aircraft are Flybe using on INV - LGW route is it Bacons 146 what are they going to replace it with Dash or 195 ?

WHBM
25th Mar 2007, 10:32
The majority of hold ups are caused once again by the pax who are asked 'does your bag contain any liquids or sharp objects?', the pax replies 'no' and the scanner starts beeping like hell!
This is not the "cause" of the hold ups; these are caused solely by the airport authority not providing sufficient screening resources, occasionally screening stations but principally staff.

The average time taken to process each passenger is readily calculated. This will include whatever proportion of passengers need to have bags hand-searched, etc, which doubtless varies by time of day and such like but can be easily determined. The proportion of those who need additional checks has not suddenly changed upwards. What has changed is additional passengers due to additional flights, and seemingly the airport is attempting to process them with the same resources as before.

But it's not as if they didn't know Ryanair were coming, is it ?

A further inappropriate excuse is that proferred by BAA and others that it takes them so long to get security clearance for new personnel. This was being uttered last summer/autumn by various airports, the explanation being that it takes "3 months to get security clearance for them". Well the 3 months are long passed, no noticeable improvement.

If Inverness can't handle it they should have told Ryanair not to come.

nav3
25th Mar 2007, 10:47
Spot on WHBN but unfortunately the lure of the ££££££'s for the management and owners of the airpoprt is obviously too much and therefore due to the shortsightedness of the management, the people who 'get it in the neck' are the passengers themselves who in turn get frustrated with the staff at the airport and then the Cockpit Team end up struggling to meet slots and it all becomes rush...rush...rush.

Simy
25th Mar 2007, 11:49
According to the news section (http://www.hial.co.uk/Default.aspx.LocID-014new19m.RefLocID-01402w00h.Lang-EN.htm) of HIAL's website, FlyBE are dedicating a newly-unveiled Q400 named "Spirit of the Highlands" to the INV-LGW route in its honour - looks like G-OINV will be heading elsewhere.

chrism20
25th Mar 2007, 23:09
WHBM

I understand and agree with what you are saying regarding the squeezing of resources, it might just be me but on the last 3 occasions that I have been through INV security (all within the last 6 weeks) each time someone in front of me has been pulled and had their bag manually searched with either bottles of water or a nail file etc being fished out.

It might just be me being unlucky at INV and getting stuck behind someone who is a bit dim or chancing their arm trying to take liquids through, or the travelling public still don't understand the now not so 'new' rules.

I also agree with what others said earlier, I have only ever saw one screener in use at INV and with several departues clustered together both machines should be in use

chrism20
29th Jun 2007, 22:01
Cop a load of this

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3229/City_to_get_direct_air_links_with_Europe.html

Still a year off for some of them but pretty major expansion of their INV base.

dumdumbrain
30th Jun 2007, 06:27
Just to let you know, that the EMA-INV route is to stay, load factors have been good, better than expected. However, the winter service maybe reduced.

First time i flew into INV last week, and it was tiny, too many PAX, looked a nice small simple easy to use airport, just too many people are once.

Pizzaro
1st Jul 2007, 13:42
Will flybe be basing any further aircraft here ?

scr1
9th Oct 2007, 15:41
DUTCH airline KLM confirmed yesterday it was in talks with Eastern Airways about setting up a new service from Inverness to Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam.

A new Eastern Airways service may also be allowed to operate effectively as a KLM subsidiary, meaning passengers would be able to book tickets direct from Inverness to any of the Dutch airline’s network of 124 worldwide destinations using a single KLM booking reference.
This “interlining” arrangement would allow passengers to check their luggage in at Inverness and not have to repeat the process until they reached their final destination.
News of the proposal to make Eastern the 73rd “interlining partner” with KLM around the world delighted the city’s business community and cheered the local tourism sector as it would also make reaching the Highlands from outside the UK far easier than current arrangements allow. At present passengers travelling from outside the UK have to book a flight to an airport such as London Heathrow and wait to collect their luggage before checking in again to catch a separate flight to Inverness.
The proposed Schiphol link would give Inverness Airport another international hub airport to rely on if the Heathrow service was terminated.
At present most international travel from Inverness must go via Heathrow, but last week bmi, which operates that service, said the link could be threatened due to the Competition Commission allowing the airport operators to charge increased landing fees which could mean bmi dropping regional services for more profitable transatlantic routes.
A spokesman for Highlands and Islands Airports (HIA) said it had been trying to restore Inverness Airport’s link with Schiphol after the end of a previous service on the route, operated by ScotAirways and launched in September 2001, was withdrawn a few months later during the downturn in the aviation industry which followed the Al Qaeda attack on New York’s twin towers.
Before this an Inverness/Schiphol service had been operated by KLM’s British subsidiary but was axed in 1998.
KLM and Eastern said despite talks no firm announcement would be made until any deal had been finalised.
Scott Armstrong, VisitScotland’s area director for the Highlands, confirmed his organisation had been consulted about promoting the new service internationally and welcomed its potential impact on the north of Scotland.
“VisitScotland welcomes any potential development at Inverness Airport which will provide a link between Inverness and Amsterdam, giving an increase in visitor traffic to the Highlands,” he said. “Dutch visitors are likely to tour the Highlands when they visit, research shows they are also highly likely to return and recommend Scotland as a holiday destination to their family and friends,” he added.
However there was a note of caution from Casia Zajac, director of Inverness Chamber of Commerce, who was keen steps were taken to minimise the risk of failure of another international service from Inverness following the end of the service to Stockholm just two months after its launch in 2004.
“Having international links is very important for business but we have to make sure there is a concerted effort from the public and private sectors to promote and support this service and that strong marketing and business links are in place to make sure it is sustainable,” she said.

ADC2604
9th Oct 2007, 18:29
As BE have had several puntuality probs on the LGW rotations, I understood that they were considering INV to AMS and CDG to reconfirm their commitment to H + I........maybe something in the next summer schedule?

Keyvon
25th Nov 2007, 20:34
Thomson hols has added a second destination from Inverness which is Reus/Salou, alongside with PMI. Both are to be operated by AEA.

Flts will start on 28th June until 8th August, each Saturdays.

aeulad
27th Nov 2007, 18:58
New flybe flights to Birmingham, Exeter, Manchester and Southampton S08.

Regards

Mike

mmeteesside
11th Dec 2007, 20:22
Have KLM given up plans to launch INV-AMS using an Eastern feeder? Can't see any slots in for it for next summer? :confused:

Richard Taylor
3rd Jan 2008, 10:55
bmi have decided to terminate the service wef 29/3/07 - "lack of demand".

Invernessians are up in arms, esp the business community, calling the decision "a disgrace" & a "slap in the face".

LHRKLBD
3rd Jan 2008, 13:23
INV/LHR will be stopped at the end of March 08.

Richard Taylor
3rd Jan 2008, 13:38
Darn...still in last year mode! :rolleyes:

scr1
3rd Jan 2008, 21:31
prob nothing to do with lack of demand more like slots for open skies

MIKECR
19th Feb 2008, 20:30
Whats with the 3 jetscreams(31's) looking abandoned at INV?? Was in there today and saw them, one was certainly a Highland Airways a/c.

CRX
6th Mar 2008, 19:47
Nope not a HWY one, probably G-OJSA, looking like the twin sister of G-JURA which is in fine fettle and serving the Western Isles. The other ones are likely to have been G-CCPW and G-JXTA. Google them for more info.
As I have previously posted in another forum they are all third party a/c in for storage/maintenance or a combination of both.
Incidently JURA is due to have a makeover soon and will come out of the shed in the HWY green/black and white scheme.

Cheers.

CRX

Baltasound
6th May 2008, 06:57
Not sure where to put this so feel free to move Mr Mod. From the BBC this morning:

Airports' record-breaking figures

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44626000/jpg/_44626969_invernessairport226.jpg Passenger numbers at Inverness are at a record high

The number of people using airports in the Highlands and Highlands is breaking all records.
In the past 12 months a total of 1,270,023 travellers used the airports, which is an increase of 3%.
New figures reveal that the busiest airport was Inverness with 703,371 passengers using the airport.
However, Wick has reported a fall in the number of travellers passing through and is down from 32,691 to 26,428, a drop of 19.2%.
The Dundee site, which transferred to operators Highlands and Islands Airports Ltd (HIAL) in December 2007, recorded growth of almost 22%. It had a further 64,639 passengers in the past year.
Inglis Lyon, managing director of HIAL said: "The vital role played by air transport in our region and the commitment of airlines to enhancing services have seen passenger demand increase and our airports handle record volumes of traffic in the past year.
"Increases to frequency and capacity on routes operated by Loganair have been a significant contributory factor to the growth achieved this year, helping to make the region's remotest locations more accessible.
"At Inverness, the withdrawal of the Liverpool and Heathrow services slowed growth for the year".

'Strong performance'
He said new Flybe scheduled services this spring, and new holiday flights to Spain and Jersey this summer, would see the airport develop new traffic over the next 12 months.
Meanwhile, at Dundee, Loganair will launch Belfast and Birmingham services later this month and a new Sumburgh - Bergen service in June.
"All in all, it has been a year of strong performance across our airports and we look forward to achieving further developments with our airline partners this year," Mr Lyon.
Sumburgh Airport on Shetland saw 13.3% increase in passengers, from 145,055 to 164,390 in 2007/8. Highlands and Islands Airports Limited manages and operates 10 airports in the north and west of Scotland. The airports range from the region's largest airports at Inverness, Kirkwall, Stornoway and Sumburgh to those at Barra, Benbecula, Campbeltown, Islay, Tiree and Wick.

Hyperborean
6th May 2008, 21:38
Time to close Wick then!

niknak
6th May 2008, 23:57
Inverness is the only "profitable" part of HIAL and, after all the subsidies and pathetic/inept management the company has had and still does, even that is entirely questionable.
The whole of HIAL runs on subsidies from Whitehall and I pray for the day that Scotland is declared independant, thereafter, the idiots who believe that their economy is King will realise that their taxes are really subsidising everythning outside the central belt.
The vast majority of Scotland is funded by tax payers outwith Scotland, after independance they'll realise the folly of their pathetic asperations.

Bring it on;)

throw a dyce
7th May 2008, 06:46
Niknak,
A lot of HIAL airports provide a vital service,including transporting patients to larger mainland hospitals with the Scottish Air Ambulance.Are tax payers in remote islands to be denied health care that everyone else gets?:hmm:

N707ZS
7th May 2008, 06:59
Does the government pay for Scottish air ambulance?

allanmack
7th May 2008, 07:43
"The vast majority of Scotland is funded by tax payers outwith Scotland, after independance they'll realise the folly of their pathetic asperations"

Proof please. Unless you can susbtantiate this 100% then please don't make inane comments. Also please remember that the more remote parts of Scotland are now home to a great many English people who have tired with the way of life down south and according to English friends I know who have relocated, Whitehall. I have been amazed ( and heartened) by the number of 'ex-pats' who would be willing to give independence a go. As you say, 'bring it on'. (And PS. We have aspirations not asperations)

Richard Taylor
7th May 2008, 08:55
Scotland subsidies England???

Urm - where do my taxes go? Oh, to London!! :rolleyes: For such projects (read White Elephants!) as the 2012 Olympics, London Congestion charge etc.:hmm:

Indeed - bring it on! :ok:

Nothing wrong with Scots having ASPIRATIONS.

Nubboy
7th May 2008, 09:58
White elephants, don't forget the carbuncle south of the river :ugh:

ATIS31
7th May 2008, 16:42
Don't Think Wick made such a large drop in passenger numbers as quoted I think it is the way they collect the Passenger numbers figures thats wrong

Richard Taylor
21st May 2008, 06:23
On their website yesterday, such has been the demand on the MAN & SOU routes from INV, that they are bringing forward an increase in capacity, from a 145 to a DH8D - MAN route changes in July, SOU route to follow.

Assuming the routes are proving successful & remain in place, it would always have been their intention to phase out the 145, but it seems by bringing it forward they are proving even more popular than anticipated.

Good for INV :ok:

OltonPete
21st May 2008, 17:57
If MAN - INV is doing well how would they describe BHX-INV?

April figures MAN - INV 1850 and BHX-INV 2400 which is an average of
40 or 82% load factor. Also noted that BHX-INV fares have increased
somewhat from April.

I assume MAN & SOU have a Q400 ready and BHX has not.

Pete

Simy
21st May 2008, 18:25
MAN & SOU are operated by the same ER4 presently, so I'd imagine they would both change to DH4 ops at the same time? The daily pattern is INV/MAN/INV/SOU/INV/MAN/INV.

BHX, EXT & BHD are each operated f/t the respective bases, while LGW is done by the INV-based E95.

Computer says NO!
24th May 2008, 08:19
Stated in the local INV rag that planned INV-AMS link by Eastern/Flybe has been shelved due to excessive fuel costs. Quote from HIAL MD and local MSP both blaming high fuel costs and general economic downturn for the reason.

Didnt rule it out for the future though, I guess its the sign of times which we find ourselves in!!

scr1
30th May 2008, 14:49
will they strike this time
Industrial Action at North AirportsBack (javascript: history.back())
30 May 2008

Industrial action by members of the Unite trades union may disrupt air travel in the Highlands and Islands in coming weeks.
Highlands and Islands Airports Limited was formally notified by Unite today (Friday 30 May) that it will be calling its members out on 24-hour strike action on 9 June and 4 July. The move comes after the union rejected the company’s 2007/08 pay award.
Of the 135 ballots recently issued by Unite, 74 were returned in favour of industrial action, 28 against and the remaining 33 not returned – representing a 55% vote in favour of action, equivalent to 23% of the company’s total workforce.
Unite’s membership at HIAL is principally made up of non-managerial grades within the Airport Fire Service (AFS) which provides mandatory rescue and fire-fighting cover at its airports.
HIAL operates 10 airports in the north and west of Scotland at Barra, Benbecula, Campbeltown, Inverness, Islay, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Sumburgh, Tiree and Wick. Dundee Airport, which is operated by HIAL via a subsidiary company, is not affected by the threatened strike action. Unite has also agreed that its members will provide cover for air ambulance and search and rescue flights during the action.
As a company wholly owned by the Scottish Government, HIAL is subject to the UK Government’s cap on public sector wages and was limited to a maximum 2% pay increase for 2007/08. This award, effective from 1 October 2007, was fully backdated and implemented in the company’s May salary payments.
HIAL’s senior management met the union’s full-time official and staff representatives on 29 May to discuss the situation but was ultimately advised by the union that it would proceed with industrial action. Further talks have been offered and the option of independent arbitration.
A spokesman for HIAL said: “Industrial action, backed by only 55% of Unite’s membership in the ballot – equivalent to 23% of the total workforce – will just serve to disrupt travellers and the airlines.
“We understand that 2% may be a disappointing award in today’s economic climate but, viewed in the round, HIAL offers excellent terms and conditions of employment with earnings within the AFS well above the Scottish and regional averages.
“Clearly, we will do all that we can to avoid strikes closing airports but we have no more money to offer and no remit to do so. We are now preparing contingency plans to minimise wherever possible the impact of any strike action.”

PAMCC
23rd Jun 2008, 12:52
What a strange excuse. Surely that should mean that no airline should be starting any new routes from INV or from anywhere.

One wonders how much influence the London airports had in this reasoning as onward travel is so much easier through AMS than the dire South terminal at LGW.

Perhaps the 'authorities' should check out how many people are using Aberdeen to travel onwards.

Inverness passengers have been sold down the river by HIAL and BA as we can no longer use the LON airports to interline to other airlines. The baggage service at LGW South Terminal, having to recheck-in, along with the ridiculously long queues through security now mean that a connection time of at least three hours is required through LGW making it a total nightmare. How ridiculous is that?

Cancellation of the Saturday afternoon flight from LGW-INV last year caused a waiting time of over 10 hours to connect from a transatlatic flight and a 7 hour wait from a European flight for me on flights booked before FLYBE either took aver or once they had and they ceased to care about their passengers and just cancelled flights that had already been booked.

I'm back to using Aberdeen as 'Budget Inverness' is not serving the interests of many of the travelling public in anything other than one off cheap flights.

Come on HIAL ask us what we really want for Inverness. Cheap flights, yes, in moderation but for those of us who wish to travel further for our holidays, a few charters through the summer are not sufficient. For those of us travelling long haul.......the conections are so abominable as to not warrant thinking about using Inverness at all.

scr1
10th Jul 2008, 21:36
aer arran is pulling out of INV from end of sep

will be missed

CabinCrewe
10th Jul 2008, 22:57
Like we didnt see that one coming......:bored:

HighlandBoy
24th Jul 2008, 10:33
AFAIK
its just for the winter.

Richard Taylor
24th Jul 2008, 10:41
Hmmm....we'll see. :hmm:

NSFU
8th Aug 2008, 13:31
German airline giant to announce link with Highland capital - Press & Journal (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/778376)
NEW flights between Inverness and Germany are to be launched, bringing more visitors from the Rhine valley to the Highlands.

German airline giant Lufthansa will soon officially announce a twice-weekly service between the Highland capital and Dusseldorf, which sits on the River Rhine in the west of the country.

Highlands and Islands Airport Ltd (Hial), which operates Inverness Airport, refused to confirm details of the deal yesterday.

But a senior Lufthansa source said the flights were agreed on Tuesday and would start next summer. Details are likely to be released next week

Hmm, wouldn't have been my first guess for a new international route ...

scr1
9th Aug 2008, 06:17
TALKS on introducing direct flights between Inverness and Germany are at an advanced stage and a service could begin early next year, The Inverness Courier has learned.
German airline Lufthansa is discussing the possibility of launching a route linking the Highland Capital with a German city, possibly Dusseldorf.
If state-owned Highlands and Islands Airports (HIA), which runs the airport at Dalcross, manages to secure the service it would be seen as a major coup at a time when most airlines are scaling back their operations.
A scheduled service with Europe has been a key goal of HIA for the past five years and would be welcomed by business leaders in Inverness and the region's tourist industry.
Last night HIA spokesman Nat Anderson was reluctant to go into detail but confirmed Germany was a target because of its potential for both business and leisure traffic.
"We have had positive discussions with a major carrier regarding a direct air link to Germany and hope to be in a position to make an announcement on the outcome of this work soon," he said.
A spokeswoman for Lufthansa would not confirm whether the company had been in talks with the airport or whether Inverness featured in its future plans.
"We are always looking at potential new routes," she said.
Inverness is the largest and busiest of HIA's 10 airports, handling more than 330 scheduled flights a week to Scottish and UK destinations plus Dublin.
It has not offered a scheduled route to Europe or Scandinavia since 2004, when budget airline Snowflake introduced flights between Inverness and Stockholm. However, just four months after the launch, the plug was pulled on the service.
At the time, Snowflake said it had over-estimated likely demand — passenger numbers between Stockholm and Inverness were not proving economical for the size of plane operating on the route.
Hopes had been high of resurrecting a service to Amsterdam's Schiphol airport, with both Flybe and Eastern Airlines exploring the possibility of a tie-up with Dutch carrier KLM earlier this year. However, those plans were put on the back burner when the credit crunch began to bite.
Lufthansa, which employs more than 94,000 people worldwide, operates flights to 192 destinations in 78 countries.

virginblue
9th Aug 2008, 11:01
Apparently twice weekly starting next summer. More in line with this year's seasonal services from DUS to NQY, JER and to a couple of continental destinations and by no means the long-awaited regular link to a hub. Nevertheless, nice route.

German airline giant to announce link with Highland capital - Press & Journal (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/778376?UserKey=0)

virginblue
19th Sep 2008, 11:01
Flights to Dusseldorf are now bookable. It is a once-weekly seasonal flight operating on saturdays. It will be on the ground at INV from 1145 to 1220. Flight to be operated by Cityline and starting on June 20, 2009. Equipment listed as a Canadair RJ700, so 70 seats. As far as I can see it, lower booking classes have not been put on sale yet, so the flights are pretty expensive at the moment. Seem to remember that it was the same with the seasonal flights last year, i.e. the lowest bookings classes only became available after a couple of weeks after the relase of the flights.

HighlandBoy
3rd Dec 2008, 18:49
I priced 4 seats in august first week as it flies on a saturday

£3400 return for four :}:{

so thats going to last then :yuk::(:ooh:

retrosgone
3rd Dec 2008, 21:48
Or you could drive to Edinburgh and get the same 4 adult returns with Jet2 for under £200! And they go 4 times a week.

james brown
2nd Jan 2010, 10:53
I do understand that the weather in Inverness has been poor. However the sheer incompetence of the airport in dealing with the conditions amazes me. Closed for the past two days, still not open yet today. No one allowed to depart even if the surface is within their minima as the airport insists on clearing all contaminants.
Runway clearing before new year not commencing until 0600 when the first flight departs at 0630. Even when the snow has been forecast well in advance.
I hope all operators take Mr Lyon to task over this. Perhaps his resignation would appease them.

Rant Over!!

jarvis123
2nd Jan 2010, 12:33
The joys of HIAL.

ab33t
2nd Jan 2010, 13:30
That is not the only airport doing that .

firstchoice7e7
2nd Jan 2010, 15:19
2 days closure? Jings Crivvens Help ma boab!

scr1
2nd Jan 2010, 16:19
reopened this afternoon

goldeneye
2nd Jan 2010, 18:53
Thomson Airways are operating a weekly (SUN) flight from INV to PMI from 13th June to 15th August.

silverknapper
3rd Jan 2010, 01:02
Scr
exactly how long was it open for? Not exactly satisfactory one might argue.

scr1
3rd Jan 2010, 07:28
silverknapper
it closed on 31st at aprox 11am
reopened on 2nd midafternoon
was not in so do not know when closed for the night but there were extention req in and these will always be accomadated were poss

silverknapper
3rd Jan 2010, 22:36
You may want to check your times on the 31st.
And the snow clearing conversatio seems to have started with reference to other dates. And to be quite honest I agree with most of the original post. The airport has been unbelievably poor at arranging for FORECAST snow to be dealt with. GLA had it just as bad and managed to keep disruption to a minimum.
This must have cost all operators into the HIA jewel in the crown a fortune. I heard an EZY airbus in the hold absolutely incredulous that the airport wouldn't let him land even though the cleared width was 10m more than he required and the surface contaminant was well within limits.

scr1
4th Jan 2010, 18:25
silverknapper
last plane to land was the be6910 from koi/lsi a loganair s340 which came on stand at 1100am closed just after that during the turnarrond. the be6952 ex syy came in 10mins before and also did not get away.

but yet again snowclosed tonight

SNOWTAM
A) EGPE B) 01041855 C) 05 D) NIL E) NIL F) 5/5/5 G) 4/4/2 H) 9/9/9 N) 5 R) 5 S) 042045 T) BRUSHING COMMENCED. SNOCLO 2100)

ATIS31
4th Jan 2010, 18:48
I see in the Paper they are putting team over to Scandinavia on a fact finding
mission to see if there is anything they can learn for again.:eek: Hilarious how much is that little jolly costing. At the end of the day snow is snow where ever it falls.:confused:

bad bear
20th May 2010, 13:20
Just looking at the departures and arrivals board on the internet and Inverness seems to be almost dead with arrivals from the south down to less than one per hour on average. What is happening up there? Is it really that quiet? I had heard that there were moves to upgrade the advisory but guess this level of trafic must cast doubt on that. Is it even quieter at weekends and in winter? Anyone got the CAA figures for Inverness trafic over the last few years?
bb

TSR2
20th May 2010, 14:28
Passenger figures for March 2010 - 42,121 (-7.4%)

Rolling year to end of March 2010 - 573,191 (-11.9%)

Much the same as most airports.

bad bear
20th May 2010, 15:28
thanks for the info TSR2 ( great plane?) I think there might be an error in the post, could you check it? also do you have the last few years figures? also how many movements?

bb

Data Dad
20th May 2010, 15:53
bad bear,

you could always go to the CAA website and study the figures yourself .....

UK Airport Statistics | Data | Economic Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=80&pagetype=88&pageid=3&sglid=3)

Every conceivable breakdown of statistics there - just scroll down to the month or year you want

DD

HZ123
20th May 2010, 16:42
Guys everything is down everywhere!

TSR2
20th May 2010, 19:33
The Inverness figures you request are as follows:

Terminal Passengers (x000)
2000 - 337
2001 - 343
2002 - 363
2003 - 435
2004 - 520
2005 - 539
2006 - 671
2007 - 697
2008 - 671
2009 - 583

Air Transport Movements (x000)
2000 - 8
2001 - 9
2002 - 10
2003 - 12
2004 - 15
2005 - 16
2006 - 17
2007 - 15
2008 - 14
2009 - 12

bad bear
20th May 2010, 19:42
thanks TSR 2
I guess 2010 is heading for 2002's movements with 2004's pax but with 2007's overheads

bb

DADDY-OH!
20th May 2010, 21:24
Years ago I remember Eastern European Ilyushins swamping Inverness in support of the fishing fleets. Are they no more?

scr1
20th Sep 2010, 19:49
maybe some good news for inv

just hope they get the times right this time

unlike air uk and scotairways who have both tried in the past

BBC News - Flybe plans to launch Inverness to Amsterdam flights (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11372686)

goldeneye
20th Sep 2010, 22:08
It said it was close to concluding a deal with possible partners in the Netherlands for the venture

I would hazard a guess that its KLM, giving the fact that flybe are partnering with AF on other routes.

james brown
29th Nov 2010, 12:49
I was at the airport this morning attempting to get to LGW. Imagine my surprise when I'm told we aren't going because the Handling Agents don't have any de-ice fluid left!!!! Unbelievable. Last year there were three companies doing de-icing and this didn't happen. Now it's only Dalcross Handling. An entire day's flying just about wiped out because of this. Jokers:D

bad bear
29th Nov 2010, 13:25
nothing on the NOTAMs about the de-icing problem
bb

davidjohnson6
15th Nov 2013, 18:22
If the Flybe base is to close, does the Amsterdam route have a future ? Would KLM perhaps put an F70 on the route ? Am wondering if KLM might switch the F70 used for Durham Tees Valley with all that airport's issues to an Inverness route...

scr1
15th Nov 2013, 21:44
From the local rag

"Flybe remains fully committed to delivering unrivalled regional connectivity throughout the UK to and from Inverness and can reassure its passengers that they can continue to book with confidence."

Flybe to shut Inverness base and axe 35 jobs | Highland News | News (http://www.highland-news.co.uk/News/Flybe-to-shut-Inverness-base-and-axe-35-jobs-15112013.htm)

Cloud1
15th Nov 2013, 22:08
Dont think the routes will be hit so much other than the already known closure of LGW services.

MAN route can continue on a MAN based a/c and the AMS could continue either on the back of the BHD or BHX?

BHD-INV-AMS-INV-BHD
BHX-INV-AMS-INV-BHX

davidjohnson6
15th Nov 2013, 22:21
scr1 - not quite sure what your opinion is and have no wish to offend, but the canned statement you're quoting from Flybe is pretty meaningless - the only thing it confirms for people in Inverness is that the airline will maintain at least one UK route to Inverness for the time being and that anyone whose flight is cancelled will get a refund.

Thanks however for posting the link - the bit about public funding for Amsterdam expiring in Sept 2014 was very interesting

Cloud1
15th Nov 2013, 23:07
davidjohnson6 - please quote the text that states 1 UK route will run and that anyone whose flight is cancelled will get a refund. I think I missed it as I cannot see it

Flybe operate from INV to LGW (due to end Mar14), AMS (poss review Sep14), BHX, MAN & BHD along with a winter link to GVA and summer link to JER

davidjohnson6
15th Nov 2013, 23:19
Cloud1 - I accept that I'm making an inference rather than quoting strictly. My point is that Flybe's attempt at reassurance is a bit of smoke and mirrors and nothing more than a standard PR exercise. It *seems* something you can rely on, but when you try to think about precise meaning, and what would stand up in any kind of court or which could not be otherwise explained away, there's actually very little of hard substance. Any company can always say at a future date that based on recent events, they had to change their pland.

Regional connectivity can be delivered by a direct route to one location in the UK (eg Manchester hub) followed by a change onto somewhere else. Not great for passengers, but as long as *at least* one route to Inverness is maintained, strictly speaking it counts as regional connectivity. You can be confident in making a booking... because if we cancel we'll give you your money back so you can't claim damages under the law of tort.

Cynical perhaps, but given Mrs Johnson is a lawyer, I've heard all too often how what appears to be reassuring, when push comes to shove, is actually meaningless. People who write press releases and who work in PR are usually very good at wording what they say in a precise way, so as to sounds warm and fuzzy, while actually formally committing very little.

Cloud1
15th Nov 2013, 23:57
Any company can always say at a future date that based on recent events, they had to change their pland.

Well yes, thats why terms and conditions are in place. These often say that the company can change their schedules.

Regional connectivity can be delivered by a direct route to one location in the UK (eg Manchester hub) followed by a change onto somewhere else. Not great for passengers, but as long as *at least* one route to Inverness is maintained, strictly speaking it counts as regional connectivity.

Fair enough, lets hope that other carriers flock to INV then to pick up these routes if this turns out to be the case.

Cynical perhaps, but given Mrs Johnson is a lawyer, I've heard all too often how what appears to be reassuring, when push comes to shove, is actually meaningless

the only thing it confirms for people in Inverness is that the airline will maintain at least one UK route to Inverness for the time being and that anyone whose flight is cancelled will get a refund.

Maybe you are overthinking things then......speculating on something that has not yet happened. As far as we know so far is that the routes will continue as normal apart from LGW.

I guess, if one wanted to be picky, could Flybe not press legal action against you for making a statement which could damage their reputation if potential passengers were put off booking after reading your comments. Suggesting that booking tomorrow for a flight in April to BHX for example will get cancelled and refunded nearer the date of travel....? Does Mrs Johnson deal with many cases of slander? :ok:

covec
16th Nov 2013, 00:53
So who will be offering a service to us rebellious Celtic types wishing to see her maj in the great city of the south post Christmas 2013?

And will it be direct or encompass fifty interconnections...

SWBKCB
16th Nov 2013, 06:08
Simple answer is nobody outside BE knows - and a fair chance they don't know yet as they're still working on the plans.

Current statements can be interpreted in both the way Cloud1 and DJ6 state - is your glass half full or half empty?

scr1
16th Nov 2013, 07:31
DavidJohnson6 I am aware that it is just PR and gives no concrete guaranties, Just hope that we will be left with something at decent times. Personally I think that MAN and AMS will survive not so sure about BHX and BHD.

bad bear
22nd Feb 2014, 17:05
Ive just noticed a link on another website suggesting that aid to small regional airfields is to be phased out, anyone heard of this before?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/business/international/europe-plans-new-limits-on-aid-to-money-losing-regional-airports.html?_r=1

re the Flybe reorganisation, what is the effect on Inverness ? Is it business as usual except for the Gatwick?

bb

scr1
22nd Feb 2014, 17:39
All Flybe flights are staying apart from the LGW, to be operated by non based A/C. (the LGW has been picked up by EZY)

Of The HIAL airports INV and LSI break even i believe. The rest lose large amounts of money. The subsidy is payed to HIAL not the airport. Of the lose making airports apart from Dundee could easily be argued as requiring a subside as their is no way the island airports could operate with out it and they are required. I doubt the island airports are the type this is aimed at and their will be some loop hole to allow it to continue.

(sorry for the disjointed reply had a few drams)

Meeb
23rd Feb 2014, 07:03
No need to apologise for a few drams... ;)

From the link bad bear provided that article states regional airports
with fewer than 700K pax per year are exempt. INV being the
busiest airport in the HIAL portfolio only manages I think less
than 400K per annum, and with island airports being lifelines
I doubt there will be any change for a long time.

Some of the places Ryanair operate to is another matter. :ouch:

Cloud1
23rd Feb 2014, 09:54
I believe INV will retain based aircraft and it will either 1 dash throughout summer or a mix of Dash and E175 - this will be used to serve an early morning rotation to MAN

INV-MAN-INV-AMS-INV-MAN-INV

I believe this is the intention but all subject to change I guess. To be honest this pattern means the aircraft is on the ground in INV for up to 2 hours so they cod have squeezed the BHD on this line as well

At present the BHD and BHX operate on other based aircraft. At weekends JER operates on the INV based unit

fjencl
3rd Apr 2014, 09:34
BBC News - Flybe looking at potential Inverness-London City flights (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-26817532)

GusHoneybun
3rd Apr 2014, 13:26
LCY will take over after the AMS service stops at the end of the summer.

There are also plans now to have two night stopping dash's. One for MAN and one for BHX, due to start in the middle of the summer. After throwing out the local crews because it's 'too expensive' to have regional bases, and to then night stop 4 crews and a couple of aircraft on the south apron is a massive kick in the plums.

JC25
3rd Apr 2014, 13:58
Why is it that BA, KLM, Lufthansa, Air France etc choose to night stop crews all over Europe rather than operate tiny bases at each destination?

Because it is far more efficient to have one (or several) large crew bases and utilise the crew better than to operate many tiny crew bases as Flybe have been doing for years.

It is not surprising that those who have been displaced or made redundant are disappointed and/or angry and believe me they all have my sympathy, it has happened to me before. But the fact is, it's a business and it has to make money or cease to exist altogether, costing several thousand more jobs.

GusHoneybun
3rd Apr 2014, 14:42
I'll agree with you that the old system was inefficient, but what I don't see is why displace crew.

To be honest, where the crew are based is irrelevant, as long as a line of work rotates through their base. You could easily start and finish a line of work from INV, or ABZ or NCL as easily as MAN.

Look at how they ran the Brussels contract. We all started the lines of work in BHX or EDI.

Yes, this will involve a touring roster with night stops, but that seems the way Flybe are going now anyway. It also negates the hassle and expense of moving to the other arse of the country. More importantly, it keeps the crew happy.

air2000dub
3rd Apr 2014, 15:32
I think you would find that the crew in the smaller bases that closed, remained there as they wanted home each night rather than have a touring roster. I personally prefer a touring roster(billy no mates and single) but not for everyone.

compton3bravo
3rd Apr 2014, 16:24
I just cannot see the point of operating into LCY with a prop when easyJet have introduced a second daily to Gatwick and now operate a daily service into Luton plus of course BA to Heathrow. Where do they think they are going to get the pax from? I do wonder sometimes about so-called planners in the aviation industry.

Skipness One Echo
3rd Apr 2014, 16:26
They're probably banking on BA not re-starting LHR :)

fjencl
3rd Apr 2014, 16:41
Maybe they could consider INV - SEN instead.

mizake the mizzen
4th Apr 2014, 11:58
INV-LCY does seem an odd choice, I heard the rumor was the aircraft would op LCY-INV Slot1/AM then op INV-XXX-INV and back to LCY Slot2/PM.

That would kind of make sense as the only morning flight from the London area TO Inverness is now the EasyJet Luton flight, the Easyjet LGW-INV doesn't leave LGW until midday so not much use for passengers traveling from London to do a day trip to INV.

It would be a shame if the INV-AMS service were to be dropped once the funding runs out in September but who knows BE may have a change of heart.

The rumour about BA re-invigorating the LHR service has been around for a while (wasn't it dependent on LHR getting a 3rd runway I seem to remember Willie Walsh saying).

On a personal note (as a regular user of the BE MAN-INV and LGW-INV services), the flybe crews at Inverness were always friendly, professional and courteous (several of them ex Dan-Air from the days when DA operated INV-LHR-INV with a based BAC1-11/B737, then made redundant following DA's takeover by BA and the closure of the INV Crew base, then re-employed by BA franchise British Regional when the INV Crew base re-opened in 1998, then transferred to flybe). I am sad that so many good people lost their careers for the sake of saving a few pounds, that's showbiz I suppose.
To all the former INV based Crews- Thanks and Best wishes for a successful and happy future.

fjencl
13th Sep 2014, 09:18
Anybody know what happened to the EZY flight from LGW - INV last night.

It diverted to EDI.

Were the passengers then put on buses to travel from EDI - INV.

Fairdealfrank
13th Sep 2014, 12:50
INV-LCY does seem an odd choice, I heard the rumor was the aircraft would op LCY-INV Slot1/AM then op INV-XXX-INV and back to LCY Slot2/PM.

That would kind of make sense as the only morning flight from the London area TO Inverness is now the EasyJet Luton flight, the Easyjet LGW-INV doesn't leave LGW until midday so not much use for passengers traveling from London to do a day trip to INV.

It would be a shame if the INV-AMS service were to be dropped once the funding runs out in September but who knows BE may have a change of heart.
The rumour about BA re-invigorating the LHR service has been around for a while (wasn't it dependent on LHR getting a 3rd runway I seem to remember Willie Walsh saying).

BE setting up shop at LCY rather than LHR, where there is the potential for pax as well as point to point, is part of the tragedy of not expanding LHR.

Airport charges are not the issue (LCY's are high, like LHR's), it's the price of slots on the secondary slot market because of the shortage.

ESQU
13th Sep 2014, 16:11
Maybe it was too foggy to land in INV last night hence the diversion. The passengers would of either been coached up last night or put up in hotels for onward travel today.

fjencl
13th Sep 2014, 20:50
Tonight's LGW - INV cancelled ........

oh dear......problems 2 nights in a row.

Must be the wrong kind of weather .........again !!!!

paully
14th Sep 2014, 11:53
They used to be able to use RAF Kinloss as a diversion field, but thats no longer available, due to Defence cutbacks. Aberdeen or Edinburgh now

fjencl
14th Sep 2014, 12:08
You would think that an a319 airbus would be able to land using the ILS system in foggy weather.....

Perhaps not

GusHoneybun
14th Sep 2014, 12:43
This is what happens when you don't have a locally based aircraft. Easyjet will always cancel the flight if there is any risk of fog/snow/ice/high wind to minimise diversions and any disruption to subsequent flights.

If you think two nights in a row is bad, just wait until the winter start properly. I can see the caledonian sleeper being quite busy come January.

Oh, and in all my time at INV, KSS has never been a specified alternate, always ABZ.

ESQU
14th Sep 2014, 13:05
It depends on the category of ILS system installed at the airport. INV is only capable of Cat I operations just like ABZ. GLA and EDI are Cat IIIB capable as is easyJet's Airbus fleet.
I believe the aircraft and crew night stop in INV so it doesn't make any difference if it is locally based.

scr1
14th Sep 2014, 15:48
Kinloss was used years ago for diversions from inv but was stopped by the DFT when they found out as it was not secure.

As for last nights flt it was not cancelled but delayed over night. Pax were hotaced and flown up this morning on a extra flt

INeedTheFull90
14th Sep 2014, 16:10
I don't see how having based aircaft would have anything to do with reliability issues. If the weather is below minima, it is below minima. EZY crews and jets are CAT3B capable. If the airport is not equipped then it does not matter who is flying it and where the plane is based, it is not landing, full stop.

It is pretty rare for EZY to chop a flight because they might not get in, more often then not they will give it a go. Compare that to BA who will can their entire domestic network at the first sign of trouble.

GusHoneybun
14th Sep 2014, 17:24
The EJ aircraft are based in LGW. If, say for arguments sake, they launched last night and didn't get in, then they end up with an aircraft out of position for the next days flying. Which, as the aircraft is LGW based, will impact flights from there NOT inverness. So, last night, some Ops guy at EJ took one look at the TAF and decided to cancel the flight. This in their eyes, reduces their exposure to disruption the next day by keeping their aircraft and, importantly, the crew, where they are based. Shortsighted? In hindsight, yes as the RVR never dropped below 700m last night, but the decision was made based on the forecast and you can't blame them for that.

If EJ/BA/Flybe or whoever had a base at INV, then chances are the aircraft will have a full days flying out of INV. So yes, then they would have been more inclined to 'give it a go' as then they are trying to get their aircraft and crew where it is supposed to be.

My point is that these cancellations will be more common over the winter, so get used to it. It's nothing to do with the equipment or the crews that fly them.

INeedTheFull90
14th Sep 2014, 17:46
Im going to call BS on that theory. Look at SEN. Three based A319s. On many occasions they don't make it in, and they are based there.

If a based aircraft on the last sector of the day does give it a go, then as the night draws on and it cools, the fog will thicken and vis will worsen. I do not believe for one minute having a based plane will impact performance.

Conversely, if a based plane was to operate a rotation from base with a good chance of not getting back then surely the ops department would be likely to cancel both the outbound and return flights so as not to get stuck down route overnight and affect the next days program.

GusHoneybun
14th Sep 2014, 18:12
Conversely, if a based plane was to operate a rotation from base with a good chance of not getting back then surely the ops department would be likely to cancel both the outbound and return flights so as not to get stuck down route overnight and affect the next days program.

Exactly my point.

INeedTheFull90
14th Sep 2014, 18:53
No, you're saying having an INV base would reduce the likelyhood of cancellations, I am saying it would not,

bad bear
11th Nov 2014, 08:19
How are Flybe doing on the London City route? Has the introduction of the new route had an effect on the London Gatwick flights?

bb

Richard Taylor
11th Nov 2014, 09:35
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/north-of-scotland/397407/flying-inverness-new-york-easier-ever-new-deal/

bad bear
29th Nov 2014, 14:47
Looking at the Inverness departures board things look pretty quiet, 4 London flights 1 Ams, 1Dub and a couple of flights to Manchester. Considering there is an ACP for controlled airspace it would be hard to justify any controlled airspace. Will the airspace be Monday to Friday? I guess it would be pretty expensive to have to cover 24 hours a day with radar controllers for just a handful of flights

bb

NorthSouth
29th Nov 2014, 19:30
They already have radar

scr1
30th Nov 2014, 09:05
And winter Saturdays are always very quite. Try looking during the summer, or on other days

bad bear
24th Dec 2014, 08:34
I see there were 1483 passengers from Inverness to Dublin in November so approx. 25 each way if there were 30 flights, is that good? 2497 passengers on the Amsterdam so around 42 per flight sounds ok?

bb

NSFU
2nd Jan 2015, 13:57
LCY didn't last long (http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/BREAKING-NEWS-Flybe-scraps-Inverness-to-London-City-flights-02012015.htm)

INV-LCY suspended from 22 Feb :(

bad bear
2nd Jan 2015, 18:31
Flybe scraps Inverness to London City flights | Inverness Courier | News (http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/BREAKING-NEWS-Flybe-scraps-Inverness-to-London-City-flights-02012015.htm)

In the three months to September the number of passengers fell by 5.7 per cent on the same period in 2013. The passenger figures for the three months to the end of 2014 have not yet been released.

At the time the last set of figures were released Highlands and Islands Airports, which runs the Dalcross site, blamed a lower number of charter holiday flights, but added that it expected the new service to London City - and increased flight numbers to Manchester - to reverse that trend going into 2015.

LCY to INV had 3376 passengers in Nov, thats more than the Amsterdam and a lot more than Dublin, are those at risk too?

scr1
2nd Jan 2015, 19:12
But AMS and DUB are once a day while LCY is twice

GusHoneybun
2nd Jan 2015, 19:13
I don't think the AMS and DUB flight are at risk as the main difference is that these are codeshare flights with KLM and Aer Lingus.

Without any onward connectivity, any regional flight will struggle to stand alone.

bean
2nd Jan 2015, 19:25
Not only that: they are lower frequency and consequently higher load factor

bad bear
2nd Jan 2015, 19:44
bean, what is the load factor on the LCY,DUB and AMS?
GusHoneybun, do code shares attract a higher or lower yeild?
scr1, if you were to double the numbers on the single Dublin rotation it would still be less than the double daily LCY

bb

scr1
2nd Jan 2015, 20:35
Bad Bear Yes you are right at the moment , But it was a odd time to launch the DUB route.

When aer aran flew to DUB it was dead in winter but busy in summer.

And when Scot Airways did LCY from INV pax figs weer in the single digits often, But that was at a bad time of day.

bean
3rd Jan 2015, 00:12
Full official CAA stats out on about 16th Jany alsp Flybe trading update for October to December due a week later. It will be very easy to work out load factors then

bean
3rd Jan 2015, 05:09
Based on CAA provisional stats for November load factors are:-
Inv-Dub 33.3%
Inv-Ams 53.4%
inv-Lcy 43.29%
Of course we don't know the yields or forward booking performance of these routes

BA318
19th Jan 2015, 11:17
Inverness Airport closed after plane comes off runway - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11354872/Inverness-Airport-closed-after-plane-comes-off-runway.html)

Flybe Q400 off the runway at INV.

fjencl
17th Sep 2015, 22:57
Loganair takes over Inverness to Manchester services - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34247172)

:D:D:D

VickersVicount
18th Sep 2015, 19:31
isnt that a downgrade to small old Saabs?

The96er
18th Sep 2015, 19:39
The INV-MAN route has been operating on Loganair Saab 2000's for some months now.

CabinCrewe
28th Sep 2015, 13:51
Nice to see a reasonably significant EZY increase on LGW/LTN ex INV from next summer.

scr1
4th Nov 2015, 08:00
Good to see the LHR route back hope it works this time

New flights between Inverness and Heathrow announced. - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34719798)

Richard Taylor
4th Nov 2015, 08:51
Great news for Inverness. :ok:

VickersVicount
4th Nov 2015, 08:56
excellent news and puts paid to the slot sitter naysayers about BA and commitment to regional domestics. Even LBA has lasted!

Skipness One Echo
4th Nov 2015, 10:01
Bang!
"Look what LHR can do for the wider economy".
Like LGW-JFK, this is strategy driven rather than commercially driven surely?

BMI tried and failed badly at this, JER next?

Jamie2k9
4th Nov 2015, 20:06
Ensuring the SNP vote in favour of RY3....not that it was ever really a question for them.

Wouldn't suprise me if BA are paying next to nothing in charges at LHR for the route!

CabinCrewe
4th Nov 2015, 21:03
given that BA have stuck with the similar examples of Belfast and Leeds where BD appeared to have failed, one presumes they are more than just political show pieces and they expect some return. The days of political loss making routes are gone. If some think a once daily to INV will clinch RW3 then imo thats naive.

Bagso
4th Nov 2015, 22:05
Pure politics in advance of next month's decision.

I suspect this has been read the wrong way by previous posters.

It's a VOTE AGAINST LHR expansion not FOR.

BA do not want RW3.

BA are effectively saying we can connect regional airports
without a 3rd runway, it closes down the argument with reference to lack of slots.

Fairdealfrank
4th Nov 2015, 22:15
excellent news and puts paid to the slot sitter naysayers about BA and commitment to regional domestics. Even LBA has lasted!
Agreed, never bought into the idea a new route would be launched just to slot-sit if it was not profitable as well. Also not suggesting that LBA and INV are profitable slot-sitters!

Bang!
"Look what LHR can do for the wider economy".
Like LGW-JFK, this is strategy driven rather than commercially driven surely?
Can see that LGW-JFK could be stategic with DY starting on the route, but LHR-INV? No one else is on that route.

BMI tried and failed badly at this, JER next?
JER would be good, but who can say.

BD used to have 14% of LHR slots but by the time BA bought it from LH it was down to just 8%. That's a hell of a lot of slots to go from BD!

Maybe these slots were asset-stripped from BD to LH or else leased/sold to other Star Alliance carriers? Whether BD ended these routes just because they were unprofitable (or failed to get a proper share on interlinung) or not is a moot point. Even if profitable for BD on INV, JER, LBA, MME, etc., or not, maybe LH believed the slots were more profitable elsewhere?

Ensuring the SNP vote in favour of RY3....not that it was ever really a question for them.
Clearly not enough on its own, but as a part of a bigger deal? Or maybe just coincidence?

Wouldn't suprise me if BA are paying next to nothing in charges at LHR for the route!
Could be, LHR management were talking about reducing charges for domestic flights.

given that BA have stuck with the similar examples of Belfast and Leeds where BD appeared to have failed, one presumes they are more than just political show pieces and they expect some return. The days of political loss making routes are gone. If some think a once daily to INV will clinch RW3 then imo thats naive
Exactly, it's all about commercial considerations and a return to shareholders, which is fair enough as airlines are private sector companies.

It also remains the fact that BA (like any hub-and-spoke operator) needs feeder flights to connect with its longhaul offerings.

virginblue
17th Nov 2015, 18:55
Well, after John Lennon, George Best and Robin Hood I am not putting any money on this not going to happen:

www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/campaign-launched-rename-inverness-airport-6841898

BAladdy
17th Nov 2015, 20:43
Agreed, never bought into the idea a new route would be launched just to slot-sit if it was not profitable as well. Also not suggesting that LBA and INV are profitable slot-sitters!

The INV-LHR route has the potential to become a route served by more than one daily frequency with BA if demand dictates. I personally don't believe BA are launching INV to slot sit. However equally BA won't continue to operate the route if it is not profitable. I guess you could say it is going to be a case of use it or loose it.

I know that BA have made the price of the fares as competitive as they possibly with some cheaper than EZY by the looks of thing. Now all they need to do is work with HIAL on marketing and advertising and I am sure the route will be success

Fairdealfrank
17th Nov 2015, 20:55
Well, after John Lennon, George Best and Robin Hood I am not putting any money on this not going to happen:

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.c...irport-6841898 (http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/campaign-launched-rename-inverness-airport-6841898)

Ha ha, it's April 1st!

The INV-LHR route has the potential to become a route served by more than one daily frequency with BA if demand dictates. I personally don't believe BA are launching INV to slot sit. However equally BA won't continue to operate the route if it is not profitable. I guess you could say it is going to be a case of use it or loose it.

Exactly.

Bjarte
8th Dec 2015, 10:36
KLM daily Amsterdam - Inverness starting May 17!

Departing Amsterdam 09:45 – Arriving in Inverness 10:25
Departing Inverness 11:00 – Arriving in Amsterdam 13:40
Type of aircraft: Fokker 70

Richard Taylor
8th Dec 2015, 10:44
Great news for Inverness - again! :ok:

Take up the Hold
8th Dec 2015, 10:51
Is it really May 17?

Surely they are not announcing the service nearly 18 months in advance.

TUTH

Bjarte
8th Dec 2015, 10:54
17 May 2016 :ok:

Take up the Hold
8th Dec 2015, 11:58
Thanks for clarifying.

Good news for Inverness

TUTH

FFHKG
8th Dec 2015, 11:59
Does Inverness already have Immigration and Customs Controls, or will they need to establish this and second staff from one of the other Scottish airports?

ANGRYBEARD
8th Dec 2015, 12:58
Does Inverness already have Immigration and Customs Controls, or will they need to establish this and second staff from one of the other Scottish airports?

Customs already present at Inverness for the international routes.

Is flybe still doing the AMS route? If so how will this news effect their flights? Didn't they code share with KLM?

TartinTon
8th Dec 2015, 21:18
Can't see them hanging around as they're already in dispute with HIAL over unpaid bills allegedly. This is the reason being given for not announcing the DNDAMS route following the RACF announcements.

ATIS31
9th Dec 2015, 18:31
Don't want to be negative but how are all these routes going to survive ?
2 x Amsterdam some days they can't even fill one flight ! Heathrow, London Luton, 2 x Gatwick a day. Someone is going to suffer might be busy in the summer months with tourists but come the winter....:= With all those flights they seriously need to upgrade their security and departures lounge. One Ezy Flight and the Lounge is cramped with not enough seating !

SealinkBF
10th Dec 2015, 08:19
I don't think London routes are anywhere near capacity.
I think easyJet has it easy!

Strange with a departure to AMS at 1100 (KL) then 1115 (BE) but also note the aircraft used by each airline has a different base, so AMS to INV is a morning (KL) and afternoon departure (BE).

fjencl
4th Mar 2016, 15:28
Inverness Airport unveils expansion plans | What's Hot and Latest News | Media Centre | HIAL Group (http://www.hial.co.uk/whats-hot/2030/)

ATIS31
4th Mar 2016, 19:02
Wow all that money for 1 International flight !

ANGRYBEARD
5th Mar 2016, 14:40
An excellent and much needed investment, to say the departures lounge got a little crowded when 2 or 3 flights were due out would be an understatement! Also having to navigate past those waiting their hold baggage at arrivals could also be fun. Look forward to an even easier experience when I need to go South.

fjencl
4th Apr 2016, 14:29
What's the On time performance (OTP) for the EasyJet LGW service like, seems to me that whenever I look at the Inverness arrivals/departure boards they are late into Inverness.

CabinCrewe
4th Apr 2016, 16:19
havent BE dropped AMS?

CabinCrewe
21st Apr 2016, 17:34
PMI for 6/52 from INV next summer. Not sure if with TOM or not. Reinstatement of flights previously operated late 80's. There might even have been IBZ then too?

fjencl
21st Apr 2016, 18:50
New Majorca flight from Inverness announced | Strathspey and Badenoch Herald | News (http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/News/New-Majorca-flight-from-Inverness-announced-21042016.htm)

fjencl
22nd Apr 2016, 09:15
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/896675/inverness-heathrow-route-use-lose-says-ceo/

Heathrow Harry
23rd Apr 2016, 17:08
see they're building a station at the airport as well............

ATIS31
23rd Apr 2016, 20:00
its a bit like dyce Station at ABZ at the opposite side of the airport from the terminal

Heathrow Harry
24th Apr 2016, 12:00
I'm sure there 'll be a bus...............

CabinCrewe
3rd May 2016, 12:42
first LHR flight today with water cannon salute and compulsory bagpipes.... Use it or lose it as they say...

Heathrow Harry
5th May 2016, 16:04
It's not really "use it or lose it " these days into LHR - it's use it AND pay enough so you're not bottom of the list on BA's profitability spreadsheet -even if it makes a profit they'll ditch it if they can make more money elsewhere ...........................

CabinCrewe
5th May 2016, 19:41
which equates to the same thing, planes full can demand higher fares as we've seen at GLA since the loss of BD.

litefoot1
5th May 2016, 19:46
first LHR flight today with water cannon salute and compulsory bagpipes.... Use it or lose it as they say...

Video report on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfNZOHdijnM

planedrive
30th Jun 2016, 10:12
New route to Geneva from Inverness with easyJet for the winter!

fjencl
17th Jul 2016, 12:05
ezy Luton cancelled today
ezy Bristol cancelled today

What's wrong ????

handsome goafer
17th Jul 2016, 23:51
short of crew

fjencl
21st Nov 2016, 14:24
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/north-of-scotland/1091051/flybe-axes-deal-loganair/

scr1
14th Feb 2017, 10:36
KLM are doubling the number of flights to AMS

KLM flights from the city to go double Dutch | Inverness Courier | News (http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/KLM-flights-from-the-city-to-go-double-Dutch-13022017.htm)

New flight is a night stopper arr 2145 and dep 0620 on a E190

TelsBoy
16th Feb 2017, 12:24
Very good news, twice daily is great as one flight a day at lunchtime (e.g. the 'eefrow link) isn't much use for many.

Even more useful for international connections from Schnecky :)

Mooncrest
16th Feb 2017, 16:34
TelsBoy. I have sent you a private message.

inOban
16th Feb 2017, 17:03
Are these flights operated by KLM metal, or do they use Flybe frames?

fjencl
16th Feb 2017, 18:26
KLM Metal, think flybe stopped the route in 2016

inOban
16th Feb 2017, 18:39
Except that checking on Planespotters.net, KLM don't have anything smaller than a 737, so they must be wet-leasing from someone..

Wycombe
16th Feb 2017, 18:42
It'll be CityHopper presumably, with an old Fokker or a newer Embraer.

VickersVicount
16th Feb 2017, 18:54
who was it used to complain about the terms 'metal' and 'frames' instead if just 'aircraft' ?!

inOban
16th Feb 2017, 18:59
Wycombe. Apologies for my ignorance.

Richard Taylor
16th Feb 2017, 20:07
The F70 is being retired by KLM this year, so I would think it'll be an E75. This is where the 5th ABZ weekday rotation has been transferred to for S17.

Great news for INV.

tommynwi
16th Feb 2017, 20:37
It does state on scr1's post that it will be operated by E190.

Richard Taylor
16th Feb 2017, 20:47
Even better news for INV! ;)

TelsBoy
17th Feb 2017, 14:38
Mooncrest - PM Rx'd and replied to :ok:

Mooncrest
17th Feb 2017, 17:03
Mooncrest - PM Rx'd and replied to :ok:

Got it, thankyou.

fjencl
18th Feb 2017, 14:17
What year round European destinations could work for a based 737 or A320 type aircraft out of Inverness airport.

Do people of the highlands prefer to drive all the way to Glasgow and Edinburgh or even Aberdeen to get direct flights to there summer/winter holiday destinations each year.......

Just wondered what people's thoughts were..........

SWBKCB
18th Feb 2017, 14:27
My thought would there that the people of the highlands don't prefer to drive all the way to Glasgow and Edinburgh but that there aren't enough of them to justify a based 737 or A320 type aircraft :eek:

inOban
18th Feb 2017, 17:08
All Edinburgh to Inverness trains call at Edinburgh Gateway. You can add on the tram when you buy your ticket. Of course for many routes you will need an overnight hotel at the beginning or end of your holiday.

VickersVicount
18th Feb 2017, 23:52
...Making it all the more worthwhile just to go straight to London etc and avoid unnecessary tram and hotel costs

HeartyMeatballs
19th Feb 2017, 00:03
No need for a based A320. easyJet can operate in from many of there bases. Ryanair too although a 156Y A319 may be easier to fill than a 189Y 737. 1 base aircraft, particularly when they're A320/737s are not very efficient at all. An E145 perhaps but not a 150+ seater.

inOban
19th Feb 2017, 10:08
I'm not sure how travelling via London would save hotel costs. They're necessary for those 6am bargain flights, whichever airport you use. And the first train from Inverness gets to Gateway just after 9.

VickersVicount
19th Feb 2017, 10:29
So getting to Edinburgh gateway doesnt help either then? A tiny fraction of low cost flights are '6 am bargain flights' and not everyone wants low cost which are also less helpful for long haul connections. There are lots of options ex INV now for connecting without overnight stays and risky rail then tram connections with luggage etc.
You can be in London arriving at 0830 if needed (INV-LGW)

inOban
19th Feb 2017, 11:15
By 8.30 every based plane is in the air. After that you mainly get the planes the long haul planes that came in earlier.

And anyway there are more flights to Manchester than to an single London airport.

Heathrow Harry
17th May 2017, 09:05
New early-morning Inverness to Amsterdam flights - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-39933716)

New scheduled flights have been introduced between Inverness and Amsterdam.
KLM has added a 06:00 weekday flight from the Highlands airport and an evening flight from Schiphol.

Highlands and Islands Airports Limited (Hial) said the flights would allow people to spend a full day in the Netherlands before returning home.

It is the latest addition from KLM since it started Inverness-Amsterdam flights last year.

SealinkBF
17th May 2017, 15:44
BA seem to be offering very cheap deals from Inverness. Cheaper than GLA/EDI/ABZ and even LHR.

Was checking business class to Chicago.

BA from INV via LHR: £1301 (AA with a BA flight number)
BA from LHR : £2591 (AA with a BA flight number)

Big savings in other cabins too. Savings are more than just the APD...

VickersVicount
17th May 2017, 16:01
.... lets hope its not savings for empty cabins

SealinkBF
17th May 2017, 16:08
I'm thinking it might be an error fares... but on FlyerTalk someone told me they got New York for around £250 rtn in economy.

Heathrow Harry
18th May 2017, 06:59
Modern Accounting - all to do with cost allocation and where you hide the profits

scr1
18th May 2017, 09:10
I'm thinking it might be an error fares... but on FlyerTalk someone told me they got New York for around £250 rtn in economy.

Aer lingus were also doing a offer for same fare from inverness via dub

27th May 2017, 18:33
They're possibly trying to send a message to KLM? You know, the type of message that it tied to a brick?

FFHKG
28th May 2017, 10:39
Long haul fares are often much cheaper from distant airports than from the LHR or MAN. I live in Spain and a C class fare to Asia from my local airport using IB regional to MAD, than BA to LHR and onward to Asia, often costs me up to £1,400 less than a colleague flying BA MAN/LHR/Asia (the long-haul sector being on the same plane on the same day). The economics long-haul airfares!

ifu05596
1st Jun 2017, 23:28
Aer lingus were also doing a offer for same fare from inverness via dub
I think there is an APD reduction/elimination from Inverness that is not available from ABZ/GLA/EDI. I do know of folks that got INV-JFK for £258 return with KLM!

fjencl
2nd Jun 2017, 08:45
I hear that loganair are to start operating the embraer 145 from Inverness airport but I don't know on what routes it will be used on.

Richard Taylor
29th Jul 2017, 09:50
Noticed this in last week's local:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1297251/new-airline-planning-flights-between-inverness-and-central-belt/

I seem to recall there was an new start-up airline rumoured last year, & ATR42 was the type mentioned.

A realistic prospect?

CabinCrewe
29th Jul 2017, 10:08
Even though high priced 'legacy' flights didnt work years ago, there is some chance that a completely different model (nearer low cost, tourist and connection related rather than business)
£99 set fares would not be unreasonable if that made a profit (some loganair flights are over £350!!)
Good luck to them I say. Though remains to be seen if we ever see it.

virginblue
29th Jul 2017, 21:38
Some further research shows that "Thisle Airways" has been in the making since 2014, so it looks a bit like a non-starter.

29th Jul 2017, 22:49
Can't see it. It takes too long to get through an airport and there's too many restrictions on what you can get through an airport with. They'd need to be offering impossibly high frequencies to make it worthwhile against driving, trains or coaches (which are also a lot better now than they were in the past).

Albert Hall
30th Jul 2017, 08:34
£99 set fares would not be unreasonable if that made a profit (some loganair flights are over £350!!)

Any reason for the continuing desire to have a pop at Loganair in every post? Just curious. I think you'll find plenty of examples where domestic fares are way higher than that - it's not uncommon to see fares of over £300 one-way on Scotland-London nowadays on peak flights.

CabinCrewe
30th Jul 2017, 10:02
every post?! come come now. Seems a little over dramatic. I think theres a big difference between a hugely busy business route with fares >£300 a few days out and often persistently prohibitive fare short prop flights with FlyBe/ Loganair. This has been well documented in the media and press over the years. If you think that is having a pop at Loganair "in every post' then you're over sensitive. What fare did you last pay roundtrip?