PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Reduced Cabin Crew Compliment

320subria
1st Feb 2007, 11:26
How did day one of the reduced crew complement on the 737-800's go? What has the feedback been like?

Mr.Buzzy
1st Feb 2007, 19:15
Another stick in the aviation game of KERPLUNK.

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

sinala1
1st Feb 2007, 21:25
What has the feedback been like

Depends on who you ask.

If you ask anyone involved in dispatching/operating or even passengering on an -800 now, the feedback will most likely be :mad: or :{ or :ugh:

Ask the beancounters, it will most likey be :D or :ok:

320subria
1st Feb 2007, 21:59
Oh well will get to find out for myself in the next few days. It seems to be a trend at the moment, Jetblue in the States announced in December that it was removing a row of seats on their A320's to seat 150 pax (thats a lot of legroom for a low cost carrier, if only our guests got that kind of legroom!) and therefore reducing crew to 3. They estimate a saving of US$30million over 5 years, so I am guessing it must be saving DJ $AUD8-10 million over 5 years.

sinala1
1st Feb 2007, 22:23
I did a very rough calculation of savings of at least $3.5 million a year - that was based on I think 25 -800's flying 16 hours a day over 365 days a year, paying CC I think $23 an hour - not including the superannuation payments that would have been made on those wages too.

Break Right
2nd Feb 2007, 00:28
Did several sectors yesterday on the 800 with only 4 cabin crew, worked quite well with no problems reported!!!:ok: Don't forget the US and Europe have been operating this way for a hell of a long time with no real issues what so ever.:eek:

Aussie
2nd Feb 2007, 00:50
Wasnt there always 4 cabin crew on the DJ 737s?

Isnt it meant to be reduced to 3?

sinala1
2nd Feb 2007, 01:15
Lets not also forget that we are Not the US or Europe and we should be trying to protect the conditions we have here, not happily giving them away...

Aussie: DJ operate 4 crew on the -700, and recently obtained a CASA Exemption to operate the -800 with 4 crew instead of the 5 that would be required under the standard 1:36 ratio (the -800s can carry 180 pax).

distracted cockroach
2nd Feb 2007, 08:41
Thought the ICAO ratio was 1:50....at least that is what it is in NZ. Air NZ reduced the seating capacity on the Freedom A320s so as to allow 3 F/As, and Air NZ operate some flights (eg BNE flights) without Business Class and with 3 F/A. Think Business Class means an "extra compartment" so the 4th crew member is req'd.
Carrying 3 is probably ok for shorter sectors on domestic ops, but can cause a complete shambles on an international flight if someone gets sick or injured, resulting in a stranded flight, away from a crew base. Bang go all the savings with the associated disrupt costs........but it seemed like such a good idea:ugh:

airsupport
2nd Feb 2007, 08:45
How times have changed.

One of the most disgusting things I have ever seen in Aviation, was back in the days when Ansett operated B767s.

A B767 with a full load of pax was due to depart BNE for SYD when they realised they were one flight attendant short, and couldn't get a replacement. Ten were rostered but the legal requirement was only eight, so the Captain elected to go okay with nine.

The flight attendants refused to crew the flight with nine, even though it was quite legal, and refused pleas to take just 90% of the pax with 90% of the normal flight attendants, and even later pleas to take as little as 50% of the pax with nine flight attendants, and in the end the B767 departed for SYD as a ferry flight, with the nine flight attendants on board and NO pax, leaving stranded some 200 very irate pax.

distracted cockroach
2nd Feb 2007, 08:52
And it was all Air NZs fault that it went belly up.........:ok:

airsupport
2nd Feb 2007, 09:20
And it was all Air NZs fault that it went belly up.........:ok:
In the end, yes, but this was long before that, prior to that year even.

Aussie
2nd Feb 2007, 14:40
Sinala1,
i didnt realise, thought it was 4 for the entire fleet!
Cheers

Ron & Edna Johns
2nd Feb 2007, 19:36
Gee, and thought this thread was going to be about how DJ staff are now saying things like "lookin' good" instead of "how are you, you're looking well today sir", or some such.... in the interests of faster boarding, time saving, cost savings, etc.... :p

crewbus
8th Feb 2007, 03:33
Most of my flights have been on the 700. When I did work on the 800, there was no real dramas, apart from trying to get to the overwing after cracking my door!