PDA

View Full Version : Crew Using Staff Travel

flytheplanemay
1st Feb 2007, 02:21
My question, do you find that staff pax can be more demanding than full fare paying pax?

What is it with crew who come on the aircraft and let everyone around them know they are staff, and start organising the overhead lockers, wear their ID, etc....

sebby
1st Feb 2007, 02:35
Are you serious? That is completely unnacceptable.

If that happened at Qantas I would have it ICANned... the CSM should take control of that. Firstly, you should only wear your ID if you are in uniform or on Duty Travel and if you are using a staff travel ticket for your own personal purposes you should be as descrete as possible. Tell the senior person and have them spoken to. I would only ever pop my hand up on staff travel if there was an emergency or if I was volunteering to move or surrender my meal, but never to undermind the crew or do their jobs.

crewbus
1st Feb 2007, 02:45
Same, if there was an emergency of course I would let the crew know I was crew. Otherwise I like to take my seat like everyone else. And would never complain if my meal choice was not available. For a bargain basement airfare, I am happy to bring my own food for the journey!

airbusthreetwenty
1st Feb 2007, 03:43
Quite often I will see staff travellers with their ID on, wearing their civvies. A polite chat to the side about the importantce of discretion as a staff traveller usually brings them back into line though.

My partner who also works for the airlines was travelling on a flight one day, up the front in business. The pax behind was another staff member having an in-depth discussion about the rebated prices of staff travel business class tickets.

I was completly mortified when I heard that. A staff traveller having that sort of discussion with a full-fare passenger.

Totally unacceptable.:=

cabingal
1st Feb 2007, 15:36
Exactly - I wuold never dream of mentioning my job - its totally unprofessional. As long as I got on the flight I wouldn't care if I didn't get a meal! As long as I get on!!!

zed3
1st Feb 2007, 15:48
From the above posts , seems to be a Dunnunder thing , this wearing of a pass on staff travel . Never seen it up here . Personally , as ATC staff when travelling on id90 I never drew attention to the fact , t'was not the done thing . Now I'm paying the airlines back by buying long haul Business tickets at fare price !

crib08
1st Feb 2007, 18:41
I work for an airline in the uk and I dont mind people coming up and letting us know that we have a crew member onboard. There are two ways of approaching the crew. the right way and the wrong way. going up to the crew and saying are there any spare seats in business or first is definatley the wrong way about going at it.

going up to the crew when there not busy and offering them a box of chocolates and having a conversation with them is the right way. At no point do you ask for an upgrade, but there is no problem sorting them out a couple of free seats in y class so they have a wee bit of room.

An advantage of knowing there is a crew member on board from any airline is putting them at an exit, increasing the chances of an organised non pre-meditated evac. If there happened to be a spare seat going in premium or business and the person seened nice then we usually sort them out with that seat. I understand not doing anything for them if they expect it, LIKE THE BA CAPTAINS! But there is nothing wrong in helping out a fellow airline crew member, COME ON WHERE'S THE TEAM SPIRIT:ok:

haughtney1
1st Feb 2007, 20:59
I always take my ID, I always let the CSD..purser..etc know I'm flightcrew (discreetly, and in a friendly way) and I usually get an exit or a J seat if its available.
It costs nothing to be nice:ok:

wiggy
1st Feb 2007, 21:10
Well "up North" you are allowed sod all carry on baggage and with certain airlines you stand a fighting chance of never seeing your uniform again if it's in checked baggage so I know why many crew commute in uniform.

IMHO it's not a problem, just: don't ask for an upgrade, don't touch the booze (if in uniform), be a model passenger during the safety brief and be prepared to help out when help is needed ( done that).

btw crib08 whats wrong with BA captains?...I take it it wasn't you who upgraded me ( I didn't ask or expect) on my flight out of the Crawley Aerodrome the other day:ok:

apaddyinuk
2nd Feb 2007, 17:36
At the end of the day...If you cant look after your own...who can you look after?
Similiarly...if you cant be nice to your own (as a off duty crew member to an on duty crewmember) how can you be expected to be nice to anyone else when back on duty!!!

I will always be patient with staff passengers (regardless of where they work be it office, terminals or air) and give them the same benefit of the doubt I would give a full rev if they seem a bit stressed but if they go beyond being demanding I will then kick my diplomacy skills in and will not hesitate to ask for a staff number, department and any other details I feel may be required for making a report should it come to that. My airline are rather strict about things like that, if you are waiting on hold for staff travel you get a long lecture about how you should not be a hinderance to operating crew and ground staff etc etc!

But if you are lovely staff passengers (as the vast majority are) expect to be pampered by moi!!!!

sebby
3rd Feb 2007, 06:10
Just travelled the other day and was lucky enough to know some crew and they looked after me very well! No upgrade but as good as! :ok:

BHMvictim
3rd Feb 2007, 06:24
In my 15 years as a staff member at the nasty big red Q, I have never seen someone in "civvies" wearing an ID!

I have only identified myself as staff on three occasions. Once to fix a defect (as it would have cause a lot of pax annoyance and I knew it was a simple fix), second and third time was because I was asked if I were staff during conversation with a flight attendant.

I really don't think people are that stupid to get around flashing their ID cards... are they?

crewbus
3rd Feb 2007, 07:26
How funny, I notice quite a few crew from Virgin Blue wearing their ASICs when they walk on the aircraft. I guess they like to be identified....though personally, when I travel on staff travel I like to be go unnoticed, unless you are approached by a crew memeber you know to have a bit of a yarn.

whatzmyname
3rd Feb 2007, 08:56
What I really hate about some crew travelling as pax is when they come to the galley and help themselves! Stay out. You are a pax. We will give you everything you want but ask for it. Not only is that a security risk it is just plain rude to do that.

1niteinbkk
3rd Feb 2007, 09:53
staff travel benefits are a privilege and not a right - especially in this time of airlines cost-cutting let's be thankful that these still exist. some airlines even publish a bible on the do's and dont's of staff travel.

one taking advantage of such privileges should keep a "low profile" especially on private trips (which can be difficult if most of the crew and ground staff recognise you and have a bit of a chat) - otherwise expect complaints/feedback/suggestions from the pax sitting next to you.

Vectors Req'd!
3rd Feb 2007, 12:07
I agree, it's a 'Privilege and not a right' :\

Some people like rubbing it in that they got a bargain. For some reason they seem to think that it somehow makes them look big....

I have not been in the game long, but love the staff travel, and go with the majority, I will grab an overwing seat if I can, but other than that I am a passenger. No matter how little I have paid for the ticket....

airbusthreetwenty
3rd Feb 2007, 14:10
Well BHM... yes. Unfortunately people from the nasty big red Q are that stupid. I can personally recall a number of times when I've seen/spoken to staffies about wearing ID.