PDA

View Full Version : Let the good times roll (the pilot shortage)

Woof etc
31st Jan 2007, 23:33
As someone mentioned in one of the other threads - could this be the first REAL pilot shortage in history? Personally I've never seen it this good. I have a couple of mates considering multiple job offers at the moment on some nice kit.

Time for certain employers to check and adjust?

Make hay while the sun shines....

MungoP
1st Feb 2007, 15:13
Not as good as the late 80s by a long way... might be getting there but not yet enough companies offering type ratings...

Insane
2nd Feb 2007, 05:09
Good day, Can you point me in the direction of this shortage please??

Avi8tor
2nd Feb 2007, 08:27
It would seem the shortage is in experienced guys with ATP. Loads of guys with good time but no subjects. Then there are plenty of low time guys with subjects.

Plenty of overseas opportunities for senior guys, so top salaries are on the up. I am afraid the bottom of the food chain is still being screwed.

Do hear that instructor money is getting better.

Woof etc
2nd Feb 2007, 12:42
That should have read experienced pilot shortage. Then again, any movement affects the whole food chain.

MungoP
3rd Feb 2007, 04:51
well if solenta are finding rated B1900 capts for $4500 per month on contract work there can't be much of a shortage

Deutscher
3rd Feb 2007, 09:20
It all depends what you have got that puts you in a position to get a job. As mentioned in one of the above threads, an ATP is good. But most companies want you to be type rated to fly bigger stuff. Like A320s, B737s and up. Few companies will offer you a tipe rating though. The far east and middle east are desperate for pilots. Some offer type ratings,but most want you to be type rated. But it also looks like the tide is slowly changing. They can't find enough drivers. So, hang in there and watch what is going on. You just might be lucky.

219joochiat
4th Feb 2007, 22:06
Far East and Asia desperate???
Well, I have my A320 TR (plus 2500hrsTT, lots of single IFR)but never had the chance of an interview with them;
Wrote/called all the A320 operators in the world, visited some...
Am now on Metros...
What they want is TR+500hrs on type.
If you think otherwise, please give me directions...:confused:

sle121
5th Feb 2007, 07:13
Tiger has taken at least 4 SA guys in the last 2 years, no TR or Jet Time. 1 already P1 there, give them a try!:)

embrunman
5th Feb 2007, 20:52
Thanks, already did, OBVIOUSLY...
Visited them last march, followed up with calls, CVs ....
It's true many airlines are recruiting....
To say there is a pilot shortage is too vague, there is a A320captains shortage for sure.
For cojos, they prefer their own cadets than guys with ATPs.:ugh:

Insane
6th Feb 2007, 07:56
R4500 in some Northern countries is a lot of Money