PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the USA with an Australian PPL?

Sunfish
31st Jan 2007, 19:58
Friends are trying to inveigle me into coming to the US for a month or two. One of their suggestions is that I could do some flying over there - they live in a very scenic part of Oregon.

Has anyone here done this, or can point me to a website discussing this?

Bevan666
31st Jan 2007, 20:51
Hi

Its a quite simple process (I did it in 2004). Have a look here at the FAA web site

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

Send in the paperwork 60-90 days before you arrive. You go into an FSDO for an interview, and walk out with a VFR private license.

Bevan..

Feather #3
31st Jan 2007, 21:19
Just a caution note on expectations.

My Oz ATPL gives me a US CPL [not for hire or reward] because, the FOI told me, some insurance policies held by operators don't permit Private Hire's to go cross country, just local stuff. If that's all you wish to do, then fine. You'll love Oregon!

G'day ;)

Dick Smith
1st Feb 2007, 04:31
Sunfish, I hope you go ahead – you will find it fantastic. Remember, if you are flying VFR in Oregon, most of your flying will be below radar coverage because of the mountain ranges. You will be in Class E airspace with no mandatory transponder requirement below 10,000 feet (unless you are within 30 nm of Class B).

Even more amazing is that the closest CTAF(R) with a radio requirement (i.e. mandatory) will be over 6,000 nautical miles away.

You will also be able to fly directly over all Class D airports in Oregon above 2,500 feet AGL without a clearance. You will do this in very high levels of safety because the air traffic controller will be concentrating where the collisions are likely to exist – that is, the circuit area and on the runway.

The simplicity and friendliness of the airspace system results in an absolute boom in general aviation. You’ll love it.

djpil
1st Feb 2007, 04:56
Sunfish, as others have said - "you'll love it." Give me a call sometime or drop into the hangar on the weekend. You'll know others who have done the same.
I'll be back there next year.

alphacentauri
1st Feb 2007, 09:05
Sunfish, while you are there take the time to head to an airstrip just south of Portland, called Aurora. Its probably 20-30nm south of Portland and right next to I-5, really easy to find. This is the home of the Van's Aircraft Factory (the company that puts together the homebuilt kits). Tell them your from Australia, they love Aussies. You'll get a tour and (if it is like the time I went) one of the guys lent me his car to go to the local golf club for a feed. Awesome visit...well worth it.

We flew down there from Olympia and on the way back, went up and had a fly inside the crater of Mt St Helens....:E

Take lots of photos...the terrain is like nothing you have ever seen.:ok:

Mr.Buzzy
1st Feb 2007, 11:24
Yes. Coast to Coast Radar makes the place easy and SAFE to fly in for EVERYONE.

bbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz