PDA

View Full Version : Cathay EU bases

kd2473
31st Jan 2007, 13:25
Quick question - does anyone know if you need an EU passport to get one of the EU bases? Or would a right to work (through spousal visa married to an EU resident) be sufficient?
Thanks

Truckmasters
31st Jan 2007, 21:34
CX don't care what passport you have.
Your right to live there is your problem to solve. (CX will not provide assistance in gaining residency rights anywhere except HKG)
So it is up to you and the goverment authorities of the country you wish to transit/ live in.:cool:

kd2473
1st Feb 2007, 08:36
Thanks, that's a load off my mind!

downwindabeam
2nd Feb 2007, 18:59
maybe I didn't understand the answer on post #2.

Does CX require you to have a working right in the EU, to be able to hold an EU base? What determines whether you're going to be based in the US vs. Europe?

Thx!
-downwindabeam

Along4TheRide
4th Feb 2007, 13:48
Downwind,

You decide where you want to work, Cathay will try to put you there. If you decide Paris looks nice, find a French gal to marry and you get a French right to work. You want Germany? Marry a German, etc...

Already married? You better stay put in the US because without an EU passport, you cannot be based in the EU.

Cathay does not require you to have a EU passport, but the EU does. Cathay will however help you get a working right in HK.

pilot_man
4th Feb 2007, 14:58
Hi all I am new to this forum, looks like I dont have a search ability till I have enough posts like the other forums Ive been too. Anyway I had a few questions for you CX people out there. I dont know much about the company other than what ive seen on airlinepilotcentral.com.

What is the QOL, especially starting out?
What are the jobs of a SO?
Wouldnt a US passport be fine to work in another country until you get the req paper work done?
You stated that CX will let you work anywhere as long as you have the right(legal) to work there, so is it easier to get some places than others? What are some peoples favorite bases?
What are SO's being hired on at now. (average time)

I know thats alot of questions, they just have been building up and I found this place and figured I would ask away maybe some other people had the same question. Also if this all has been answered before, im sorry I cant seem to find a search feature.

pilot_man

kd2473
4th Feb 2007, 16:44
Sorry, but that's not correct. You can work in the EU if you have a valid spousal visa obtained through marriage to an EU citizen. in my case my fiancee is English so once we are married I get the visa and then I can work (legally!) anywhere in the EU. That was the point of my original question - I know I can work here without an EU passport, I wanted to check whether it was a Cathay requirement (it is for BA and a couple of others).
Anyway, cheers.