PDA

View Full Version : FAA Licence

freds
31st Jan 2007, 11:40
Hi

I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me the definitive answer to my conundrum......I have a JAA frozen ATPL and am type rated on the HS-125.....I need to get an FAA licence to enable me to fly N reg aircraft as a FO commercially.
Is it just a case of doing the written Commercial and Instrument exams and then taking an LPC on an N reg 125 or sim, or do I need to do a commercial flight test first. I know you don't if you have an ATPL but as I have said mine is frozen. Have spoken to everyone including FAA but still can't seem to get definitive answer.
Sorry about long winded question but I need the right answer before I start spending lots of cash!

Mal_206
31st Jan 2007, 12:34
Hi Freds
I had to do the same thing.

Firstly I had my foreign licence verified by faxing FAA the relevant forms from their website, then they contact your CAA and verify your licence.
this takes 2-3 months. You get the letter in the post.

Then once in the states to do my Type rating I went to the FAA office with my verification letter and they gave me a restricted FAA PPL based on my foregn Comm licence but had to write an Insrument exam (IFP).

Once I'd completed the training/test on the Sim, the type was put on that license, then went to complete the FAA Comm elsewhere.

I also could not get answers either even from FAA.

Good luck and ENJOY :ok:

CPTA
1st Feb 2007, 12:12
Hope that this company can help you as I myself have spoken to him and certaintly has the answers that I hope you are looking for plus he is an American examiner in this country if fact he is the only one and they do all the FAA lazergrade exams Commercial and ATPL all in house, it is the only of it's kind I understand in the UK

www.businessair.us/FlightTrainingUK.html (http://www.businessair.us/FlightTrainingUK.html)

contact Number - Business Air Ltd
44(0)1603301902 or Fax 444(o)1760725083

Good Luck:ok:

B200Drvr
2nd Feb 2007, 11:00
I have also just done this and there is no easy way, although ther is a cheaper way, Simcom offers the full 800A type with 700 differences for $15300, if you do it without the 700 diffs or you do it with XP diffs it is $18K
So get the PPL validated at a FSDO, Get your TSA stuff sorted after you have booked the full type at Simcom (cant be done other way around),if you meet the requirements for FAA ATP/ comm then sit the test in Blighty before you leave. HS 125 Course is 16 days at the facitliy in Orlando, and the type rating checkride includes the ATP check. I was in and out in 20 days including the fingerprints which I did at Pan Am in Miami as I was leaving from Africa.
Good luck, its a great course and great machine

Martin Barnes
2nd Feb 2007, 16:51
Had you though about sitting the atp writtens and then opening your atp on a cheap piston twin. you could then get the the captain of your 125 to train you for the sic rating which you can do anywhere,

freds
4th Feb 2007, 09:37
Thanks Mal_206, that is what I thought. I want to avoid the costs of doing a course in the sim as I have a plane that I can do the LPC on. When you say you went somewhere else to do the commercial, are you talking about a flight test or the commercial written exams?