PDA

View Full Version : Maldives and Australians

dash 27
31st Jan 2007, 11:18
Many of you may have seen in a recent newspaper that posts aviation jobs every friday, that positions are becoming available for qualified people for a career in the Maldives. It must be spoken that this has been a well guarded and respected place of employment for people with experience in this field, to complete their careers on the largest commercial seaplane for the largest seaplane fleet in the world. It had also been a priviledge to rub shoulders with some of the most experienced water aviators in the world, 415 water bomber drivers, mars drivers, quarter century DHC-6 masters of their field, as well as float drivers who've gone to airlines, and returned to the pond. Local people have grown in their experience from no aviation experience to very compitent Check and Trainers. In the realms of float flying, there is no better place to either earn multi crew twin screw time, to stay or go to the airlines. It is a shared opinion with those who have sacrificed careers with Cathay or Qantas, that the adventure, the life experience and of course the bling $$ is and should be respected and guarded as those who dug that well have done. After all, a Canadian company once hired australians who were given a go.......... a chance to prove them selves in times of Canadian airline boom. Australians gave it a go, and one even died for the cause. A reputation had been formed, that didn't involve PAYING FOR RATINGS, as sadly fellow mainland countrymen continue to insist is necessary to jump his fellow man. :=

Sadly, the purpose for this post is to reitterate that there are still some havens like the good old days but recently a countryman let the side down. The australian reputation had been tarnished by a recommended individual who seemed to want for years to join the team, yet arrogance and ignorance resulted in a bridge burning of taking the training and running. This is clearly not tollerated by the pilot group, both in country and abroad, and offers a message to management that australians are not of their word any more. He resides with his stolen endorsement for a particular operator with the same type on wheels in SE Qld.

Folks this is THE most equal opportunity employer in the world. It pays very fair, for a fair return of service and a good job done. The flying is some of the best anyone can wish for, and the comraderie grouped with the races of people coming together in the best environment still to this day make is very guarded from the likes of this style of bridge burner.

The maldives is becoming more accessable to australians to work, but before you go, like any job, RESEARCH it. Locate someone who has been there before and learn from their experiences how you can make it as memorable as the rest of us have. barefootpilots.com is a great start. Email the chief, get contacts. Visit the place on a holiday. I say this because in this industry, if you treat it as well as it treats you, you can come and go, knowing that you can come back. To those who have said forever or never, they learned to never say never.

Good luck, and remember those who may wish to follow, with the respect for those who did so for you.

Stepping down from the soap box

-27 :ok:

Duck Pilot
31st Jan 2007, 20:06
I totally agree -27 (Fellow DHC-6 driver). Without opening a hornets nest here, which has been done on this subject before on Pprune,I totally disagree with having to pay for endorsements up front to get a job,bonds are the way to go and if they are structured correctly everyone knows where they stand. A few years ago I was faced with the situation of paying a bond out,due to a number of reasons. I paid the amount outstanding,and guess what ? I'm still on very good talking terms with my ex chief pilot. And I would even go further to say that I got a very cheap King Air endorsement out of it considering what I had to pay out in return.

The aviation industry is very small,and people do remember who the sharks are.

Good on you dash 27 !

TurboOtter
4th Feb 2007, 00:55
Here Here...

This is just another example of how Aussie pilots are screwing themselves over. I too have heard of this Aussie and a couple of others that have tarnished this little Haven.

When will Aussie pilots grow a brain and realise that pilots are needed and that operators will pay good money for good drivers. Stop selling yourself short and grow a spine!

brownsugarkh
4th Feb 2007, 10:19
Hey -27 well said accurate in all aspects and to the point. It is a great opportunity for anyone and luckily for those still there, the Australian reputation is still very good with Calgary with one Aussie now been given the option to go and work with Borek in Canada after 2 yrs of loyal service with the company in the dives. In general the quality and attitudes of the pilots out of Australia in the past has been very high. However out of the 6 Aussies hired in the last 2 years 2 did not work out, so we still havn't **cked ourselves.....yet!
Those that would like to work here, find out what it is like to live in the maldives and work here, religion, laws etc. it's a very different culture, It is a very rewarding job and will give you back what you put into it and is an eyeopener for many down under pilots including now recently a NZ addition to the crew. If you know that you are a home body your best to stay at home. I dont know many pilot jobs in oz where you can pretty much choose your time off and length of time off on a regular basis and be paid as well as well as a virgin captain....
Good luck -27 you earnt it mate....we miss ya!

OpsNormal
4th Feb 2007, 20:33
Taking endorsements that an employer has supplied free of charge (and then disappearing straight away) is a fact of life for many employers, in fact is the reason why many GA organisations will now bond pilots on aircraft as small as a Be58. It is not just Aussies either.

You can thank people like the person described in the first post on this thread and other types for making it hard(er) to find that first/second twin job where an employer will spot you an endorsement to start without asking for a 12+ month commitment out of you for it.

How is the 4X4 going Marty? Did you miss out on big Kew due below average handling capabilities? Word gets around. :E :oh: :oh: