PDA

View Full Version : Question re. aircraft type

daveo99
30th Jan 2007, 12:15
Hi.

I'm writing a short story and am looking for a bit of background information to help add some depth.

The story involves a group of around 30-50 people making a very long-haul flight (Japan to Europe). What type of plane would they be most likely to be flying in? Money is no object for them, and a fair amount of luxury would be expected.

Are there any specific features of this plane which would help me add depth to the story?

My final question (and please try not to laugh at this one!) is this: I understand that the chances of a plane being struck by lightning are very remote, but are they so remote as to make a lightning-strike storyline ridiculous?
If so, is there a more likely disaster that could happen to a plane in flight?

Thanks for any help.

JMH
30th Jan 2007, 12:53
if they were the only people on your plane, that many passengers would most likley be a private charter, say a 767 for the range, though you're probably pushing £millions for this trip. a lightning strike isnt that uncommon and you wouldnt expect it to bring a plane down.

anyway i wanted to post but couldnt start a new thread: anyone know anything about the hercules which took off from heathrow at about 13.15 today?

GK430
30th Jan 2007, 13:17
Settle for a Boeing BBJ (737-700 or 800 a BBJ1 or BBJ2) Far more readily available to charter than a 767 in exec config.

Lightning strike not uncommon - just remember not only does it strike, but it has to make an exit too - hopefully missing components along the way:=

daveo99
31st Jan 2007, 09:39
RE:
Lightning strike not uncommon - just remember not only does it strike, but it has to make an exit too - hopefully missing components along the way

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I assume then that things like fuel tanks would be in some way protected from lightning strikes?
Is there some other vital component that could be affected, such as navigation equipment or tail flaps (are they called ailerons, or did i make that up?) that would bring down a plane without it being so badly damnaged that it couldn't make an emergency landing?

chornedsnorkack
31st Jan 2007, 14:19
Settle for a Boeing BBJ (737-700 or 800 a BBJ1 or BBJ2) Far more readily available to charter than a 767 in exec config.
A319ACJ is a similar type of plane. Can anyone comment on the range (Japan-Europe, westbound) and comfort of 30...50 persons on a BBJ?

Charter VIP planes include a number of refurbished Boeing 757-200-s (better range and slightly bigger than BBJ).

There are a few older widebodies available for private charter - at least one 747-200. But most VIP widebodies, whether bought for VIPs or secondhand, are kept by governments and not offered for charter.

Lightning brought down a 707 in 1963, by fuel tank explosion. Airplanes have since got better lightning protection.

For a 737, or 757 or 767 or any other twin, one engine out requires landing on nearest suitable airport. They are not allowed to fly past airports even if they have fuel for longer one-engine flight. At least scheduled airlines under part 121 are not. What about charter, part 135? And what wiggleroom do crews have to call nearby airports unsuitable?

What about midair, like Legacy and 737 collision in Brazil? Legacy landed, for some reason 737 did not.

Dash-7 lover
31st Jan 2007, 18:17
A319ACJ or BBJ would be a good choice.

TSR2
31st Jan 2007, 20:14
Let's have a bit of imagination.
Airbus A380 in luxury configuration with John Travolta as captain.
Main Deck .. 50 arm chair seats, cordon-bleu restaurant and good old fashoined English Pub.
Upper Deck ..Swimming pool, sauna and theatre featuring live entertainment.
How about heavy metal rock band Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson doubling up as co-pilot and top of the bill. Lightning strike blows up electronic amplifyers and takes out star performer. Captain struggles to land crippled plane on his own.
Or maybe, Elvis returns in comeback sensation ..... perhaps not, that's a bit far fetched.
Supporting act .. comedy starring Jade Goody.

daveo99
1st Feb 2007, 09:54
Haha!

Although it is a comedy, i feel that Elvis and Jade may be pushing it a bit.

I will check out both the A319ACJ and the BBJ, thanks again for the pointers.

Just to return to an earlier question:
Is there some other vital component that could be affected, such as navigation equipment or tail flaps that would bring down a plane without it being so badly damnaged that it couldn't make an emergency landing?

chornedsnorkack
1st Feb 2007, 10:18
The one 747-200, for maximum 106 people, can be found at

http://www.airpartner.com/en-uk/22.php

As said, there should be a choice of 757-s.

Will anyone quote the air distance from Japan to Europe? Ground distance is easy to find from great circles, but what about headwinds westbound?

"Tail flaps"? Well, there is elevator in tail. "Flaps" are on the main wing.

daveo99
2nd Feb 2007, 13:00
"there is elevator in tail. "Flaps" are on the main wing."

Is it concievable that the elevator/s could be damaged by a lightning strike?
Would that neccessitate an emergency landing?

SMOC
2nd Feb 2007, 15:31
If you want lightning to take a commercial jet down I recommend you use Blue Jet lightning or Red Sprite lightning, the red sprites are a little high to affect relatively low flying commercial jets, but some research may lead to a believable story.

Characteristics of Blue Jets

Blue jets are a second high altitude optical phenomenon, distinct from sprites, observed above thunderstorms using low light television systems. As their name implies, blue jets are optical ejections from the top of the electrically active core regions of thunderstorms. Following their emergence from the top of the thundercloud, they typically propagate upward in narrow cones of about 15 degrees full width at vertical speeds of roughly 100 km/s (Mach 300), fanning out and disappearing at heights of about 40-50 km. Their intensities are on the order of 800 kR near the base, decreasing to about 10 kR near the upper terminus. These correspond to an estimated optical energy of about 4 kJ, a total energy of about 30 MJ, and an energy density on the order of a few mJ/m^3. Blue jets are not aligned with the local magnetic field.

http://elf.gi.alaska.edu/sprites.html

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/arch05/051110sprite.htm

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/blue_streak_020314.html

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap951111.html

daveo99
2nd Feb 2007, 15:41
That's a great help, SMOC, thanks a lot.
I'm excited by this Blue Jet lightning, as i already had my characters flying above a storm before i made this post.

Do you have any suggestions as to a suitable piece of equipment that could be damaged which would require an immediate emergency landing without significant damage to the structure of the aircraft?

SMOC
2nd Feb 2007, 16:49
Total electrical failure, and being unable to reset the relevant bus tie breakers or having some some breakers welded closed resulting multiple CBs popping, so on and so forth, again some research into some A/C incidents will help. The A/C would be left on battery power alone so only approx 30 mins available depending on A/C type ie just enough time to get on the ground before you lost all your instruments. You'll also have to write why the RAT and APU failed on most twins! (You could have the APU inop due to an MEL) The crew would continue to work the problem during the diversion to the nearest suitable airfield.

daveo99
15th Feb 2007, 14:45
Here we go - another annoying question for you!

Low Level Lighting. I've tried to research this on the web, but couldn't find any pictures or good dexcriptions of what this is like. How bright is it? When it says it shows the way to the nearest exit, how does it do that? Does the strip pulse in the direction of the exit, or is it just like a permanent line which people could follow?

TSR2
15th Feb 2007, 18:58
Suggest the clue is in the pre-flight briefing from the Cabin Crew.

The Emergency Exits are being pointed out to you now ........ we recommend you take note of the nearest Emergency Exit as it may be behind you.

PPRuNe Pop
16th Feb 2007, 08:58
This thread can get out of hand! It has already started I see.

This forum is NOT for assisting journos or writers.

The odd suggestion is fine and has been addressed but we stick to the basic function of the forum.

The gentleman concerned should use his imagination and do some research.