PDA

View Full Version : Avalon 07 - Breaking the Barriers

Critical Reynolds No
30th Jan 2007, 01:36
:ugh:
I have heard that the special way AV07 will celebrate the 60th anniversary of the first supersonic flight is:

wait for it:

A supersonic flight by a "frontline" fighter.:eek: :ugh:

All I can say is yeah right. As if they would be able to do that!!:D

das Uber Soldat
30th Jan 2007, 02:44
tell them to do it at 500 ft so they can break every window in vic :}

john_tullamarine
30th Jan 2007, 04:52
ah .. tracking south and popping the number overhead probably wouldn't have much effect to the east and west, I would have thought ? One wouldn't need to go much above sonic to get the normal footprint for the benefit of the folk on the ground at Avalon ...

Aussie
30th Jan 2007, 07:28
Anyone know which aircraft and which day of the show this is expected to happen?

Bug Smasher Smasher
31st Jan 2007, 08:32
Yup, it'll be at 13:75 am on day 7 of the show in a Concorde.

Don't miss it. :rolleyes:

Aussie
31st Jan 2007, 13:57
Concorde..... no way!!!!

Wont miss it for the world! Thanks heaps!

cficare
2nd Feb 2007, 01:49
Captain, I detect an odour in the cabin!!!

Lasiorhinus
2nd Feb 2007, 03:00
Really? I heard it was going to be Pip Borrman in the Extra?

The Avalon people have paid for a new, more powerful engine for him.:eek:

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Feb 2007, 03:24
I was at Amberley in the 50's (I was very young!) when the Mach 1 was broken in Australia for the first time - Sabre in a steep dive. Given the number of Ipswich windows that were broken on that occassion it is hard to see it being allowed to deliberately occur again anywhere near a built up area.

FTDC:cool:

Lasiorhinus
2nd Feb 2007, 03:32
it is hard to see it being allowed to deliberately occur again anywhere near a built up area.:

So, Avalon's OK, then?

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2007, 04:29
The RAAF showcased the introduction of the Sabre to the South Aus audience at a Mallala airshow by demonstrating a "bang". Not all that loud at the time, most disappointing.

Ultralights
2nd Feb 2007, 05:25
i have heard sonic bangs quite a few times, namely at Edwards in California, not as loud as you may think, just like a bass boom from a passing P platers car, just a little louder, but not breaking windows loud, though there were at a good altitude as they passed over..

if they were passing over at FL 040 or higher, i doubt the boom would even be heard above background noise in any city.

Aussie
2nd Feb 2007, 08:37
Was that meant to be FL400???

I think you would still hear it at 4000ft! :ok:

Aussie

john_tullamarine
4th Feb 2007, 14:24
Going back to the Concorde proving trials, DCA (as I recall) took some readings out near the Alice of the bird at cruise. The footprint was quite audible ... just a benign bang-bang.

Whizzwheel
4th Feb 2007, 19:55
Have been told by a reputable source that it will be an F111 (as opposed to a front-line fighter), doing a supersonic dump at burn on TFs at 100' to open the show. The plan is to approach from behind the crowd line for maximum effect. Combination of flame and shock waves should look interesting to say the least. From what I remember, if they can get above M2.0, the second shock cone will be trapped by the first, making the display silent (albeit visually spectacular) for the punters. Due fuel prices, this theory won't be able to be validated during the work up - will be tried first time on the day, but hey, what could possibly go wrong?

Swingwing
4th Feb 2007, 20:21
Whizzwheel said:
Have been told by a reputable source that it will be an F111 (as opposed to a front-line fighter), doing a supersonic dump at burn on TFs at 100' to open the show. The plan is to approach from behind the crowd line for maximum effect. Combination of flame and shock waves should look interesting to say the least. From what I remember, if they can get above M2.0, the second shock cone will be trapped by the first, making the display silent (albeit visually spectacular) for the punters.

Uh - yeah.

Right.

Not.

Someone's having a lend of someone here I'm afraid.....
Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it though :}

SW

PS: Just out of interest, the TFR doesn't have a 100' setting.

PPS: And if an F-111 isn't a "front-line fighter" then what is?

Capn Bloggs
4th Feb 2007, 22:35
And if an F-111 isn't a "front-line fighter" then what is?

It's a back line bomber!! :}

Milt
5th Feb 2007, 05:51
My first supersonic excursion was in an F-86 on my third ride. Thought I was being clever so laid the shock wave on a little island near the entrance to Pt Phillip Bay near Melbourne.

Don't think any windows were broken but those on the island, looking after the army ordinance stored there, were somewhat shaken and lodged all sorts of complaints.

Next time the natives were becoming accustomed!

That suggestion that a couple of shock waves cancel out each other around Mach 2.0 has to be buncum.

My shocks at Mach 2.5 + over Texas at around FL 5000 didn't seem to worry anyone below.

A rare experience is to experience one from someone coming the other way.

Will monitor the bangs at Avalon with interest.

Capn Bloggs
5th Feb 2007, 11:22
My shocks at Mach 2.5 + over Texas at around FL 5000 didn't seem to worry anyone below.
Nor were the ones from the Shuttle at Edwards in 1991 when it went overhead at FL500 and Mach 13 outbound for landing, directly under myself!

Mach 2.5 at 500,000ft. I know U2s go slow but...???

Ask John O'Halloran, ex knuck now in CX, about killing chickens in his SS pointy in the 80s... Methinks no SS passes at AVV this year except perhaps for a late leprechaun crew. Initial and Pitch in a Deathstar! Yahoo! :ok:

GK430
8th Feb 2007, 15:16
These two just about went bang over DXB during validation for the '03 show.
Invite them down:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/F-14.jpg

Wombat35
8th Feb 2007, 18:57
Mach 2 in a Pig at Sea Level.... don't even think Nev could do that! :} :oh:

But hey, great beat up!

Millski
1st Mar 2007, 03:23
Has anybody got any idea what is coming to Avalon that might be a little more exciting this year ? :bored:

bentleg
2nd Mar 2007, 00:43
Has anybody got any idea what is coming to Avalon that might be a little more exciting this year ? :bored:

another thread on that
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265539
not many answers tho.....

Millski
2nd Mar 2007, 01:02
Thanks Bentleg,
It is a worry with the show this close and no info.
I have taken an old retired flying friend in a wheel chair for all of the shows so far,
I think this is the worst I can remeber of what is being shown.
So may not go this time. :{ :(
Thanks Again