PDA

View Full Version : Saving youtube clips...again

tony draper
29th Jan 2007, 11:04
Asked about this last year but now one has built a new puter running XP pro,downloaded some utilities last year on advice from here but they did not work, I suspect because I was running a early version of win98 on the old machine.
I find your tube baffling,sometimes if I download a clip and watch same then surf elsewhere or even switch off the machine ,then return to youtube a few hours later click on the same clip and it loads up instantly,so I recon it must be stored somewhere on my hard disk,but I cannot find the buggah,other times the clip starts downloading from scratch
Anyway there are three particular related clips I would really like to save to me hard disc,each is about 15 minutes long which is a tad unusual for youtube and they take a fair time to download bearing in mind one is to mean to pay for broadband and is still using dial up.
Incidently they are not norty clips,they are of a guitarist demonstrating how to play a particular blues number,having to wait a hour for it to load up each time I want to follow it is a pain in the stern bone.
Will be very greatfull for any help re this chaps.
:confused:

Sikpupi
29th Jan 2007, 12:26
Would it have been this.....I use it myself for learning how to play the odd guitar riff . Had to load a small bit of new software but so far no problems

www.savetube.com

Big_Johnno
29th Jan 2007, 16:28
If you are using Firefox download a couple of extentions that may help. They are DownloadHelper & Videodownloader. When you open a youtube movie an icon will display at the top toolbar and you can save the clip as a .flv file. you will have to download a .flv player to view them later.
John

tony draper
29th Jan 2007, 16:57
Thank you chaps, I managed to download I file took about three hours,I thought I had downloaded a flv.file player but I can find where it anywhere if it has installed itself.
Will try downloading another flv player from elswhere.
Thanks for the help chaps.
:ok:
Right just downloaded a multi file type vid player and that clip now runs fine.
Great stuff.:rolleyes:

oldbeefer
30th Jan 2007, 09:29
Mr D. This is the 21st century - why not go for broadband? It's cheap as chips now.

tony draper
30th Jan 2007, 15:05
Meaness Mr Beefer pure meaness,:rolleyes: besides I don't download much or rather I haven't up to now,anyway their are so few users on dial up blueyonder now tiz nearly as fast as broadband.
:cool:

blackace
30th Jan 2007, 15:23
download a clip and watch same then surf elsewhere or even switch off the machine ,then return to youtube a few hours later click on the same clip and it loads up instantly,so I recon it must be stored somewhere on my hard disk

Correct, it is.

Everything you look at, listen to or watch on any web page is stored in your internet cache. Its usually a hidden directory so you need to set your folder options to view hidden system files and folders.

Once you've done that Right click on the content you want to copy and make a note of the file name, do a search for that file name, all files and folders. When it pops up copy it to another folder of your choice.

this works for all content and you don't need any fancy program, if you can hear it, watch it or look at it, its already on your hard drive.

born2fly_au
30th Jan 2007, 16:07
Using the internet cache is fiddly and it only hold a certain amount and is deleted oldest stuff first. for youtube you are better off following Big_Johnno's advice and using firefox and downloadhelper extention to save them as a .FLV file then you can save them to cd or anywhere else you like. All you need is a FLV player to watch them.

oldbeefer, you might want to remember not all areas are able to get broadband. you have to be within 5klm's of the telephone exchange. some people do not have a choice and have to make do with dial up like it or not. Especially in country areas. And Not everyone can afford to get a satellite connection it is just too costly.
Allen

oldbeefer
30th Jan 2007, 19:56
Born2fly. Yes, I appreciate that. I am 6km from exchange, but still get 4meg at a quiet time of day. Mr D. lives in a (relatively) civilised part of the UK, and could get BB for a tenner a month (call that 25AUD). Like I said, cheap as chips!

oldbeefer
30th Jan 2007, 19:59
P.S., Mr D. - 'their' should be 'there' in you post. Standards are slipping. May I suggest you read 'Eats shoots and leaves'. Cracking book, and I learnt (or learned!) a lot abaout punctuation!

boeingbus2002
31st Jan 2007, 19:13
While you need the "special file player" for youtube files, you could try to look at Google Video. Most of the same files are there and its downloadable in Quicktime format (for iPod video/PSP) or other formats.

Prob a better option as if you wanted to send something to someone/burn to disc, most folks would have Quicktime rather than the file player.:ok:

born2fly_au
31st Jan 2007, 19:41
The trouble now with google video is that you tube is now owned by google so a lot of the links on goggle video now send you to you tube. i would have prefered they kept it seperate.
Allen

BOFH
31st Jan 2007, 20:45
Ideally, yes - but FLVencoder is your friend.

BOFH

tony draper
31st Jan 2007, 20:54
Using a utility I downloaded called Keepvid,works spiffingly,saves the file to your destop,just click on the file and away it plays no prob.
Thanks for the help chaps.
:rolleyes:

Heliport
2nd Feb 2007, 23:11
Do any of the methods described here save only the video file, or do you still end up with a video playing on a YouTube (or GoogleVideo) page in the same way as it does when downloaded rather than saved to disk?

H.

born2fly_au
2nd Feb 2007, 23:47
No you are Saving to Disk. all you need is a FLV player to play it offline. you can burn them to cd or dvd whatever you want. It maybe a good idea to add a copy of the FLV player to the CD when you burn it in case your friends don't have one installed on their computer
born2fly

Heliport
3rd Feb 2007, 00:08
Thanks.

So you get just the video - no sign of YouTube, Google etc.

A few more questions please.

Does the same process work for Flashplayer videos?

Can an FLV file be converted to another format, such as mpeg?

If so, are there any free 'converter' programmes available on the net?

3rd Feb 2007, 05:53
Heliport. You'll have a video file on your pc just like any normal video.

Browse these two pages for some info.
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t259578.html
and
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/convert-flash-video-flv-to-avi-avi-or-mpeg-mpg.html
I personally use RIVA to convert files. It only has a 30 day trial period but I'm sure you'll find something in google.