PDA

View Full Version : North Pole Helicopter Ops

Richard Williams
29th Jan 2007, 06:13
Hello, or should that be Здравствуйте?

I shall be heading up to the North Pole in a couple of months and have discovered that a Mil-8 will be available for medevac and logistical support.

Hoping to cobble together a photo-journalistic feature on the operation, I am curious to find out any and all information.

Also, would any of you happen to have information on converting one's licence to a Russian one...(Have CAA, JAA, FAA, CASA)

A big thank you

RW

nrh
29th Jan 2007, 11:43
Здравствуйте Richard

Just wondered how you were getting to the Pole?

I've spent some time on 2 Russian Icebreakers and can perhaps help with some more information for you.

Some of my contacts speak english, but the heli guys only Russian I'm afraid.

Regards

Neil

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/nericha/YAM_ICE_MAN_75dpi.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/nericha/YAM_BRDSIDE_75dpi.jpg

Richard Williams
29th Jan 2007, 23:27
As great as the icebreaker option sounds, I'll be flying there in an Antonov AN-74

http://www.travel-images.com/north-pole12.jpg

tecpilot
30th Jan 2007, 06:59
converting one's licence to a Russian one...(Have CAA, JAA, FAA, CASA)

You are a real Multipilot :) :) :) like Bourne Identity?

Converting into PPL isn't so difficult, but you couldn't use a russian license without typerating. And it takes a few weeks to be real Mi-8/17 qualified. Especially in the north it needs only professionals and not western amateurs as co-seaters. May be they need western amateurs to pay good dollars. In this case i have no doubts you could have the co-seat for a time.

Richard Williams
30th Jan 2007, 23:23
"Western Amateur" - Finally!! The recognition of my peers :}

tecpilot, thank you for your reply. I will be spending some time in Moscow before heading to the Pole and would like to learn as much about the licence conversion and type rating process before my arrival.

By way of a little background, I hold CAA/JAA/FAA/CASA ATPLs with ME IRs and a handfull of ME type ratings. I have listed some of my licence types, unsure which one would provide the easiest route to conversion.

Thank you for any input.

RW

tecpilot
31st Jan 2007, 06:22
RW,

at first learn to speak and to write russian. Then try to understand the normal talks. Then do the licence conversion. Then fly in the north.

Have found only a very limited number of russian helicopterpilots speaking english.

And if you so experienced you will know that any PIC on such a complex helicopter like Mi-8 in such a difficult environment like the pole will greet a western greenhorn with big salute ;)

May be it's the attitude that makes us to western amateurs?

nrh
31st Jan 2007, 17:33
RW

Please check your PM's

PO dust devil
1st Feb 2007, 11:29
While you're at the North Pole perhaps you can ask Santa for a new alarm clock.

John Eacott
5th Aug 2007, 06:43
I shall be heading up to the North Pole in a couple of months and have discovered that a Mil-8 will be available for medevac and logistical support.

Hoping to cobble together a photo-journalistic feature on the operation, I am curious to find out any and all information.

Did you go? Have you returned to Sunny Broome, and any info to report from your trip?

TIA :ok:

PO dust devil
2nd Sep 2007, 09:24
Hey Richard, How did you go with the alarm clock? Will we have to wait 'til five past Christmas Day to find out? Was anyone there when you got there or had they all finished and gone home? LOL

DD