PDA

View Full Version : GAAP Entry Procedure Question

SydneyAeros
29th Jan 2007, 04:05
Approaching Bankstown yesterday I had trouble reporting at Prospect inbound due to traffic, I made 2 calls but was overtransmitted each time. The tower controller heard an aircraft inbound but missed my callsign. He eventually asked the callsign of the inbound aircraft at which time I responded but I was only about 30 seconds from the downwind point for 29R. I did a normal circuit but again was overtransmitted a number of times when trying to call downwind due to the departing traffic and eventually called base and received clearance.

Question is - Should I have held at Prospect rather than continue inbound? Holding at Prospect is not something I want to do due to the amount of traffic there either, but I could have been downwind/base if there was any more congestion and the tower would not have known I was even inbound.

bentleg
29th Jan 2007, 04:18
Should I have held at Prospect rather than continue inbound?
I could have been downwind/base if there was any more congestion and the tower would not have known I was even inbound.

I would keep going as you did and get a call in as soon as I could. I would not descend to circuit altitude until I had a clearance from the Tower. The controller will spot you even if he hasn't received an inbound call. It sounds like this happened in your case.

Another option is to turn away from Prospect and return a little later (rather than hold at Prospect).

jetstar1
29th Jan 2007, 05:42
AIP ENR 1.1 para 31.2 says:
Aircraft must not enter a GAAP CTR until in receipt of a circuit entry or zone transit instruction.
Therefore you can fly past Prospect without such instruction but may not enter the control zone (not familiar with BK but assume it's 3nm?)
:ok:

das Uber Soldat
29th Jan 2007, 05:56
keep flying but if you dont get a call in by the railway lines (3nm) and are given a sequence, then you must about face and hold outside the GAAP zone (avoid holding at the inbound points thanks ;) ). Same goes for joining at TWRN. Warrick farm is about the boundary of the control zone. If you dont get a call in by Warrick farm (and make sure if you do, you call "past TWRN"), then you have to remain outside the zone.

Hope this helps.

bentleg
29th Jan 2007, 06:01
AIP ENR 1.1 para 31.2 says:
Therefore you can fly past Prospect without such instruction but may not enter the control zone (not familiar with BK but assume it's 3nm?)
:ok:

The Control zone boundary is 4.5 nm past Prospect. I would expect to have my call in by the boundary (say 3 minutes flight time).

There is also provision in ERSA to enter the BK zone without a clearance "11. GAAP communications failure", but this is not the topic of the question.

das Uber Soldat
29th Jan 2007, 07:34
I thought YSBK CTRL zone looked more like this;

http://www.deathnet.org/temp/ysbk.jpg

Not quite a perfect circle.

I've been wrong before however.

das Uber Soldat
29th Jan 2007, 07:52
what program are you using to generate that picture? Mapsource?

bentleg
29th Jan 2007, 07:54
I thought YSBK CTRL zone looked more like this;
http://www.deathnet.org/temp/ysbk.jpg
Not quite a perfect circle.
I've been wrong before however.
Spot on Das Uber. That's not the latest VTC but the shape of the zone has not changed. The "red" map is rather misleading and looks old. When did the Bankstown runway taxiway system look like that?

das Uber Soldat
29th Jan 2007, 08:05
Spot on Das Uber. That's not the latest VTC but the shape of the zone has not changed. The "red" map is rather misleading and looks old. When did the Bankstown runway taxiway system look like that?

I believe that was from when YSBK had runway 23 active.

And thats been a while ;) Though you can still see the remnants of it on 11L, the wide taxiway.

bentleg
29th Jan 2007, 08:07
I think you are right. I just drew a circle on 3nm after the discussion. Here is a picture with the airspace boundaries turned on. The boundaries shown don't all agree with the Sydney VTC.

Awol57
29th Jan 2007, 09:16
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/dah/toc.pdf is the current DAH, but I think it doesn't matter that much to answer the question originally asked.

If you're interested on the other hand... :)

bentleg
29th Jan 2007, 09:26
How so? Acknowledged I haven't updated my aero info on this PC since May '06 though.
I'd have to confirm with the DAH but I'd bet some cash on that piccie being correct. Don't have the Designated Airspace Handbook at home. Got the Lat longs of the airspace handy?
The Airspace shown isn't just the GAAP.
There are airspace boundaries on your map that are not shown on the Sydney VTC (have a look). I'll fly by the VTC.

Agree we are way off topic.......

SydneyAeros
30th Jan 2007, 08:07
Thanks all - really appreciate the answers.

TLAW
30th Jan 2007, 21:11
keep flying but if you dont get a call in by the railway lines (3nm) and are given a sequence, then you must about face and hold outside the GAAP zone (avoid holding at the inbound points thanks ;) ). Same goes for joining at TWRN. Warrick farm is about the boundary of the control zone. If you dont get a call in by Warrick farm (and make sure if you do, you call "past TWRN"), then you have to remain outside the zone.

Hope this helps.

I assume you mean do a right hand turn in the case of inbound from Prospect, or a left hand turn from 2RN, then head out as if you were outbound from 29? Then track north of Hoxton Park before turning back in to have another go?